Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2021, 13:22   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

I'm trying to like the Kushaq, believe me. It is a nice package but there are some fundamental flaws getting in the way. I'm on the side of people who would prioritise safety over other things and had high expectations from the Kushaq.

3-point seatbelts all around and ESC as standard are very, very welcome. However, there's a lot to disappoint. First, 2 airbags. They're not a feature anymore, they're a Government requirement. It's definitely not what one expects in a modern 18-lakh rupee crossover from a safety-conscious brand. I was disappointed enough at 2 standard airbags - now it's been confirmed that you can't equip any automatic variant with side airbags either. Even the current automatic Rapid and Vento can be equipped with upto 4 airbags. So can the Renault Triber at half the price. The reason this disappoints me is because the Kushaq has the potential to be the next 4-5 star car to be available with side head and thorax airbags (currently all we have is the XUV300 which doesn't have a proper automatic). I also don't see seatbelt pretensioners in the brochure for inexplicable reasons. I'm not sure if it's safe to assume all variants have them. I hope the line in the brochure that shows all variants have a middle lap belt for rear occupants is a misprint.

If this is what it takes to sell an SUV, at a not-so-good price at that, no, thank you. I'd rather have a Honda City with 4 airbags and every other safety feature the Kushaq offers (well, except multi-collision braking, and we don't know which has the better structure) for 43 grand more than the Kushaq Active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How much more would you pay for a 4-star GNCAP car (my source is reasonably reliable, not 100% though)
The competition scoring 3 stars doesn't make 4 stars good, at least not by VW-Škoda legacy and 2021 standards where some cars at half the price can comfortably score 4 stars. Unless, of course, they are referring to the tougher 2022 test protocol, which would explain why all trims are equipped with ESC (the missing standard side airbags could explain the missing fifth star).

I hope they don't mess up the Slavia too. Zac Hollis keeps mentioning it will be positioned 'above the Rapid' but I hope that doesn't mean above the Kushaq. And while the weird airbag count may be acceptable in the crossover segment, the Slavia will have to face the Honda City which already has side airbags, ESC, ISOFIX and three-point seatbelts as standard.

Last edited by ron178 : 28th June 2021 at 13:37. Reason: Added paragraph
ron178 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:25   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Do wonder which world folks cribbing about the pricing are living in! Skoda will not undercut Hyundai on price. And the Kushaq is a car in the same segment - even if marginally narrower and shorter. The pricing, which is in line with the Creta and Seltos has come out exactly where I expected it to be. The only thing which shocked me is the absence of 6 air bags in the Style AT and Style DSG variants - surely AT buyers would also want the entire gamut of safety features - so it does seem to be a miss. If I were Skoda, I would have priced the Style DSG at ₹18 l but provided the 6 air bags.

As for those expecting the Taigun to undercut the Kushaq, at the cost of repeating myself I say, “Which world are you living in?” The Taigun will come in at ₹50 k more than the Kushaq on a like for like basis - the only question is whether features will be different to make the comparison not as stark.
Hayek is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:25   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
More than the premium pricing, the way they messed up the safety specifications across MT and AT variants are appalling, and Skoda definitely managed to beat Hyundai in this aspect. Missing airbags for automatic variants are a real joke!
Do they even realise that Creta has 6 airbags, ESP in the manual top variant, CVT top variant, DCT top variant and TC-AT top variants ? And that gives them bragging rights to safety over Skoda. They corrected their mistakes from their previous Creta AT models, while Skoda has gone in the reverse.
Old 28th June 2021, 13:36   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
To be more clear, feeling solid and actually being solid are also not inter-related. The Kia Seltos was said to be solid by almost every reviewer (including here). All of us know where that story ended. Meanwhile, the Honda City is a 5 star rated car (ASEAN NCAP). Cannot say the same about the Rapid or any "tank like feeling" VAG offering in the segment.

As for Tata and its perceived lack of finesse, the company's 5 lakh rupees car is rated 5 star by GNCAP while fellow members are hoping that the 20L Kushaq somehow scores at least 4 stars. I will chose misaligned panels over such pretensions every time.
Yes, Rapid/Vento were not crash tested, but they proved their "tank like feeling" numerous times in various accidents. You can refer to accidents thread if you want to see the examples. Same thread also highlights how a 5-star (ASEAN) rated Honda City performs under similar conditions. So, yeah, for the VAG cars, the perceived build quality is not all fake hype and superficial.

On the other hand, lets be clear that currently GNCAP tests for a very few accident scenarios - partial frontal overlap. In case of being T-bonned, do you think Polo, Renault Triber and Etios Liva (all rated 4 stars in GNCAP) will perform similarly?
Old 28th June 2021, 13:38   #275
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Meanwhile, the Honda City is a 5 star rated car (ASEAN NCAP). Cannot say the same about the Rapid or any "tank like feeling" VAG offering in the segment.

As for Tata and its perceived lack of finesse, the company's 5 lakh rupees car is rated 5 star by GNCAP while fellow members are hoping that the 20L Kushaq somehow scores at least 4 stars. I will chose misaligned panels over such pretensions every time.

Fact check:

1) Tata's 5 lakh rupee car (Tiago) is 4 stars, not 5

2) The VW Polo is 4 star Global NCAP ( https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...al-ncap-409854 )

3) Even with 4 stars, it will be safest offering in the segment. Tata, which sent the Tiago/Tigor/Altroz/Nexon to Global NCAP on their own will didnt even bother offering GNACP a test on their Harrier/Safari? Ever wondered why? Or has your Tata fanboyism blinded you?

4) Honda City doesnt have an GNCAP rating, and I dont really care about ASEAN NCAP.
S15 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:39   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Come on guys, its not so bad - I was expecting them to offer less and charge a huge premium - I got the first part right but the pricing is surprisingly less than I thought, this car will sell. (Yes its about the same as the Koreans, maybe more but the vehicle in itself is positioned at a different audience - the happy VAG owners).

Credit to Skoda where its due - Well done.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:39   #277
Team-BHP Support

Last year -

Volkswagen TROC launched at 19.99 lakhs.
1.5 TSi EVO DSG
Supposed to be very expensive. Stop-gap. CBU. Limited numbers.
5 star EURO-NCAP
Had Digital Cluster
Had Panoramic sunroof
Had 6 airbags
Had TPMS

This year -

Skoda Kushaq 1.5 TSI DSG - 17.59 lakhs
95% localization! Mass Market. Do or die product.
No digital cluster
No panoramic sunroof
No side and curtain airbags
No TPMS
Poorer materials/ finish.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:39   #278
BHPian

Why would anyone want to pay an extra 4 lakh on road Bangalore for the same engine and maybe equal/more space(?) when they can buy the same thing in the Rapid Rider for 9 lakh?!

For Fun seekers, would the Rapid not suffice? not like the 1L TSI Kushaq can challenge Thar's or any other 4WD's!

If I ever need the premiumness of a Skoda, I would buy the Rapid Rider thank you.

The Hyundais/KIAs suddenly look value for money.

Last edited by Arjun Bharadwaj : 28th June 2021 at 14:06.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:48   #279
BHPian

You have nailed it

The Sonet GTX at 70% of the price offers more features and more airbags. The 1.5 DSG looks like a failed product on Day 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Last year -

Volkswagen TROC launched at 19.99 lakhs.
1.5 TSi EVO DSG
=====
Poorer materials/ finish.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th June 2021 at 05:26. Reason: Punctuation, spacing, grammar
vinitbarve is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th June 2021, 13:49   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly I am disappointed Skoda! Even after being a loyal Skoda owner of a Yeti and a Laura (Both Diesel) I did not expect Skoda to skimp on safety features like this.

I have also gone ahead and cancelled my booking. What was the final straw on the camel's back was that the Style 1.0 AT version does not offer 6 airbags and gets only 2 airbags against the 6 offered on the 1.0 MT version. This is just not acceptable to me and why should I have to compromise on this aspect if I want an AT gearbox.
Guess I may just be going back to my Initial choice of a Kia Sonet GTX Plus Diesel AT.. which is cheaper than the Kushaq Style variant by over 3 Lacs on road and also has 6 airbags, and is a proper Diesel AT.

Honestly I would have paid the price for the Style 1.0 AT asked for, If it had 6 airbags at that price, but since It does not even offer that option, I am no longer interested.
Guess all the hype that Zac Hollis created was just that, and they have not learnt anything from the Indian market.

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th June 2021 at 13:53.
Behemoth is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:50   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review, and just as the pricing and variant details were out, I got to realise that my dreams of owning this car are just going to be dreams. Charge a 1.4 lakh premium for the DSG, and then remove the extra airbags. Great job there by whoever planned this product. Makes the decade old Polo GT TSi a much attractive option.
audioholic is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:52   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Buyers of the automatics are in for a rude shock! Only the MT variants get the option of 6 airbags and TPMS!
Well, Skoda has just tried their best to not sell a lot of Kushaq DSG's. Simply Clever!!

At 15.8L ex showroom, prospective Style 1.0 AT customers (those who wanted to steer clear of DSGs while still enjoying a Skoda automatic) will be in for the rudest shock. My Creta SX(O) 1.5 Diesel AT was 17.2L last August.

Quoting myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
- Never thought a day would come where I would root for Skoda, but I wish them all the luck and success for their CSUV. I don't expect Hyundai to lower the prices, but at least a variant rejig will happen if Skoda can pull off a good car at lower price. But, from what I have seen, OEM's dont price their cars 'lower' anymore. They are happy that Hyundai is able to sell Creta at 21L and will try to sell their CSUV also at 21L.
So, there is no variant rejig possibility anymore for Creta I guess.
Skoda has not undercut the competition in pricing. Neither at base nor at top variants.
Skoda has not pulled off a 'much' better car compared to competition.

Creta has always been the king of overpriced cars. Well, Skoda's Emperor is here to take 'that' crown from Creta.

Oh my god!! This gives another opportunity for Hyundai to jack up prices. Tough competition for that 'overpriced' crown.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 14:00   #283
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
You have nailed it

We offer 2 airbags. SonetGTX at 70% of the price offers, more features, more airbags, 1.5DSG looks like a failed product on Day0
Did you just compare the 1.5 DSG to a 1.0 Sonet?

The VW 1.0 is superior to the Kia 1.0 in every way, and the 1.5 is actually a 1.4 turbo-petrol Seltos competitor.
S15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 14:03   #284
BHPian

Entry level Innova Crysta and Tata Safari seems more VFM now. Safari XMA AT is cheaper than Topend Kushaq AT. If we ignore the segment difference and consider only pricing.
Ford_madhan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 14:05   #285
Senior - BHPian

Why should Skoda under cut Creta, I don't understand. Are we saying Skoda should undercut the competition even if they have to sell for a loss. The era of cheaper cars are over all over the world at least in the short future.

I agree with criticism of omission of safety features in higher variants though, specially from an European car manufacturer.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2021 at 14:31. Reason: Don't troll
poloman is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks