Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 22:53   #766
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLurkerForLong View Post
Since you and others here are all for this usb-c port, I am just wondering what devices do you own that needs usb-c on the charging end.
New age iPhones come with usb type C to lightning cable. Also for other devices you can always buy usb type C to type C and type c to micro usb cable. All 3 cables combined would be south of INR 2K and will almost cover 99% of devices. Even dash cams use micro USB port for power. Type C is the future and Skoda did a wonderful thing here.
curiousnewbie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:48   #767
Senior - BHPian

Even my bike, the Honda CB 350 is USB C only (Industry has taken a leap). Convenient for the Apple 12Pro that I'm using. High speed charging is wonderful. I'm pretty happy with this, moving forward. It may not charge my MacBook Pro (61Watts), and for that I have a separate car charger
Quote:
I dont know how this does future-proof if we have to live with dongles for a foreseeable future. Almost 99% percent of devices in use need USB-A port at the charging point. Even in that 1% which includes macbook pro, I dont know if these ports provide 87W that mac chargers provide. Even if so, its a miniscule of use case. Give us a USB-A charging port and free us from a life with dongles please.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 10:56   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its true many of these phones and other devices use USB-C but they are on the device end but they still use USB-A for the charger port.
Don’t know why you are getting obsessed with the USB C out ports. A USB C to USB C cable costs just ₹399 - a USB C to lightning cable costs ₹ 499 on Amazon. If you are spending ₹10- 15 lakhs on a car, this is the least of your worries
Hayek is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 11:01   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Don’t know why you are getting obsessed with the USB C out ports. A USB C to USB C cable costs just ₹399 - a USB C to lightning cable costs ₹ 499 on Amazon. If you are spending ₹10- 15 lakhs on a car, this is the least of your worries
I have been feeling the same. Most manufacturers are switching to USB-C to USB-C mode and Skoda has done a wonderful thing by making it future proof and elegant.
xrules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 11:01   #770
BHPian

What is the fuel efficiency score of the 1.0 engine? ARAI claims 17+ for the manual and 15+ for the automatic and going by the high numbers, I assume it is in highway conditions. Too early for user reviews, I guess, but are there any media reviews available on the mileage?
Old 5th July 2021, 12:37   #771
BHPian

Just back from a visit to PPS Skoda at Sadashiva Nagar, Bangalore.

I reached the showroom sharp at 9.30 am as discussed and confirmed half a dozen times with the SA for a TD of the 1.0 AT! On reaching there, I was really disappointed to hear that the PDI was yet to start and that the car would be coming only by 12.30 pm!

The SA insisted that I try the 1.0 Manual, which I was bluntly refused because that was out of my consideration.

Here are a few observations beyond, hopefully, what others have already reported:

1. The car definitely does not have the road presence of the Creta or the Seltos and is closer to the S-Cross and the EcoSport than the Korean twins. Just my initial impression and I like it like this.

2. The choice of colours is somewhat boring. While I got to see it in shades of Honey Orange and Candy White, I don't expect the others to lend the car a transformation.

3. The styling and design lines are sort of Seltosish. Personally, I like the Taigun's styling better.

4. I found the interiors' plastics to be a tad lower on fit and finish than you see on the Rapid. Again, first impressions.

The SA informed me that if I confirmed my booking today, I could take the car home on the 12th. He also confirmed that they have received sufficient numbers of the 1.0 across variants to start deliveries immediately.

Finally, did the Emperor impress me? Well! He did not keep up his promise today. Maybe, another time.

A few pictures I took ...

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq3.jpg

I like the prominent roof rails and diligent use of chrome

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq2.jpg

Any closer, I can easily mistake this for the S-Cross

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq1.jpg

Rules don't apply to Kings

Last edited by pannags : 5th July 2021 at 12:39.
pannags is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 13:25   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Any closer, I can easily mistake this for the S-Cross
Yes, it looks pretty close to S-Cross especially in white. One way to solve this is to select orange or red which are not available in S-Cross.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 13:47   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Just back from a visit to PPS Skoda at Sadashiva Nagar, Bangalore.
The SA informed me that if I confirmed my booking today, I could take the car home on the 12th. He also confirmed that they have received sufficient numbers of the 1.0 across variants to start deliveries immediately.
I'm surprised that the car is available for immediate delivery in Bangalore as compared to 1-2 month waiting period in Mumbai! Has Skoda messed up their allocations?
Old 5th July 2021, 13:55   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont know how this does future-proof if we have to live with dongles for a foreseeable future. Almost 99% percent of devices in use need USB-A port at the charging point. Even in that 1% which includes macbook pro, I dont know if these ports provide 87W that mac chargers provide. Even if so, its a miniscule of use case.

Give us a USB-A charging port and free us from a life with dongles please.
Skoda and Kushaq have been criticized for a number of reasons. But giving a Type C port isn't one of them. Type A/Type C doesn't really matter to me much.
07CR is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 15:28   #775
Senior - BHPian

Upcoming Skoda dealerships and planned opening month.

Sr. No Location Opening Month*
1 Sirsa July-21
2 Patna July-21
3 Bhopal July-21
4 Patiala July-21
5 Kota July-21
6 Bhilwara July-21
7 Navi Mumbai July-21
8 Panvel July-21
9 Panchkula July-21
10 Faridabad July-21
11 Navsari July-21
12 Vapi July-21
13 Sangli July-21
14 Hardoi July-21
15 Bhilai August-21
16 Rourkela August-21
17 Sambhalpur August-21
18 Kundli August-21
19 Thrissur August-21
20 Balasore October-21
21 Dehradun October-21
22 Bareilly October-21
23 Allahabad (Prayagraj) October-21
24 Kanpur October-21
25 Nashik December-21
26 Dhanbad December-21
27 Karimnagar December-21
28 Warrangal December-21
29 Tirupathi December-21
30 Kurnool December-21
Latheesh is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:25   #776
BHPian

Hello Team BHP-ians. Another newbie who just ( and finally ) got approved. Happy to finally be part of this community

I have been following this thread and the one before Team BHP's Official review. The excitement everyone has for Skoda and VW twins is amazing. No wonder this thread was on fire.
I am an enthusiast driver and hence would take sides with the Skoda/VW fans while trying to not be completely unjustified.

Few points that I would like to contribute:
  • Feature list vs Driving Dynamics
    - There is a lot of discussions and arguments on this point.
    - People who love the feature list that Koreans provide don't understand how a Skoda/VW C-SUVs can stand them with lesser feature list ( and size ).
    - Enthusiasts ( like me ) don't understand why features are so important when the car has great driving dynamics, is a lot safer and has great engines on offer.
    - And of-course most required features are provided as per segment and even Korean twins don't provide all features of each other ( Seltos - Creta ).
    - The only feature that I miss in the list is 360 deg camera or atleast for front and rear camera ( + sensors ) for easy parking. Although I am still very good with my Honda City rear camera ( + sensors ) and park at some really tight spaces, so Kushaq/Taigun shouldn't be a problem.
    - We have many upcoming competitors in the this segment from Citroen, Jeep, Ford, Toyota etc. Please don't expect them to provide features compared to the Korean Twins.
    - I think if you like Feature list, go with the Koreans and if you like driving dynamics, you can look at VW/Skoda.
    - Koreans are not bad at the driving dynamics. They have come a long long way from the old bouncy days. But, Still can't compare with VW/Skoda.
    - Lets not judge and blame brands for not giving everything. They won't.
  • Safety
    - Explaining safety is usually very difficult.
    - Try explaining someone 40-50 yrs old importance of wearing helmet ( or at-least a good ISI marked helmet) on two wheeler when he has not done it for 20-30 years and is still doing great.
    - Coming back to C-SUV segment, Kushaq/Taigun are any day a lot lot safer than atleast the Koreans and MS ( unless new information is released ).
    - Just compare a Polo with MS Baleno or i20. There is no match.
    - And safety is not just how "Tank like" the car is. It is also the features that the Kushaq provides like electronic differential lock, brake disc wiping, multi-collision brake.
    - Jeep Compass is expensive because it provides a lot of safety features that I believe only luxury brands provide in their expensive models.
    - Yes, omission of 6 airbags on AT models is something that is a mistake and should be corrected.
  • Pricing of Kushaq
    - The discussions on the expected price of Kushaq reminded me of Jeep Compass facelift thread. And how everyone was shocked when Jeep priced the facelift at a premium.
    - Similar thing happened with Kushaq and will happen with VW Taigun.
    - Skoda/VW in no way want to challenge and compete against the Koreans or even Maruti Suzuki in terms of numbers. They never said it and they never tried.
    - What they are targeting is 3k-5k per month with both Kushaq and Taigun.
    - I frankly believe Skoda/VW will achieve this quite easily even with this price-list.
  • Who will buy Kushaq/Taigun
    - Trust me majority of buyers in India don't go as deep as the Team Bhp-ians go. They have money and they want to buy a car. They do not even understand the segments unless someone tells them specifically.
    - The following category of buyers will go with Skoda/VW anyday ( in my humble opinion )
    • Enthusiasts and ex-Skoda/VW owners.
    • Buyers who don't want to wait for 4-5 months.
    • Buyers who consider Skoda/VW as premium brands.
    • Buyers who want cars that are not so common on road ( Read Seltos, Creta ).

My Plan:
I like VW Taigun more than Kushaq and am waiting for its price list. I have driven both VW Polo and Skoda Fabia. Somehow, I preferred VW Polo's driving feel as compared to Fabia's. Hence Taigun over Kushaq.
But, I don't see a point in changing from ( 5 yr old ) Honda City CVT during these Covid times and I won't be driving it much.
So, I'll wait for a year. Let these issues of 2 airbags on AT, not-as-expected interior feel, strictly 4 seater etc get fixed. Wait for discounts to kick in. Wait for GT variant ( the one equivalent to the L&K or Monte Carlo of Skoda ) to launch with discount.
I'll also check if Jeep, Citroen, Ford or Toyota provides a better package ( Similar driving dynamic and safety with better features ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Yes Please. Lets focus back on Kushaq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Skoda already has a small SUV that is a proper European, the Karoq. As CBU it was priced at 25L ex showroom. Even if they did a CKD it would be at max 22-23L ex showroom. The result would be the same 200-300 cars per month for a few months then down to double digits.
I believe we should compare with Kamiq. But I'm not contradicting with your point as a CKD Kamiq would be in 18L-25L range and compare with Harrier and Hector.
rAijin_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:03   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnewbie View Post
T
Those who are going with Koreans must be having their reasons which I completely understand. But strange to see ppl who have already booked or own a Korean car trying to justify their decision. The need to justify is a dead giveaway.
The only reason the "Koreans"are being discussed in a thread about the Kushaq is when Skoda fans endlessly go "but the classic VAG, only a fool who doesnt care for his family will buy anything but a VAG and esp a Korean"

I am someone who is an enthusiast (are you btw arguing that an enthusiast can't or won't buy a Korean? or that only if someone buys a VAG le Solid European timeless car are they enthusiasts?) and who defended my purchase of a Korean BECAUSE many comments insinuated that,

1) I didn't care for my family because I purchased a Seltos
2) I am not an enthusiast and somehow who only went in for the bells and whistles.

Both on the PM's I have received as well as direct comments on the thread, this has touched a raw nerve with many.

Maybe if such odious comparisions weren't made, no one would need justify anything?
Stribog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:26   #778
BHPian

There truly is no such thing as bad publicity eh! Love it or hate the Kushaq has surely managed to polarise opinions. However, let's stop beating on each other here atleast. Criticise the build quality, feature list or lack thereof, of "A" or "B" vehicle, but not the sanity of the choices of person "A" or "B". If I want a car only because it has a sunroof the size of a cricket pitch let me, If I want to buy a car that is ridiculously tiny but costs the moon, it's my money. AND. if any is really wanting to settle the issue, I'll provide the duelling sabers ok?

This pandemic situation has personally taught me to be more kind to everyone. there is enough grief floating around as it is.
shady_lawyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:31   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
- People who love the feature list that Koreans provide don't understand how a Skoda/VW C-SUVs can stand them with lesser feature list ( and size ).
Well it clearly does not seem so going by the sales figures

Quote:
- Enthusiasts ( like me ) don't understand why features are so important when the car has great driving dynamics, is a lot safer and has great engines on offer.
Because not every regular average Joe (which is 99% of the market) cares about the steering feel and the chassis stiffness. What matters to most is how convenient, reliable, fuss free and fuel efficient the car is.

Quote:
We have many upcoming competitors in the this segment from Citroen, Jeep, Ford, Toyota etc. Please don't expect them to provide features compared to the Korean Twins
Why not?

Quote:
Lets not judge and blame brands for not giving everything. They won't
A contradiction on your part, but nevertheless a true statement.

Quote:
- Coming back to C-SUV segment, Kushaq/Taigun are any day a lot lot safer than atleast the Koreans and MS ( unless new information is released ).
Please explain us how do you conclude that? The Kushaq has not been crash tested yet and there is simply no scientific data to prove that it's more safer than the Koreans(and consequently more unsafe)

Quote:
- Just compare a Polo with MS Baleno or i20. There is no match.
This is an Apples to Oranges comparison. The Polo is an entirely different car and competes with an entirely different set of cars as well. There is simply no correlation that can be established in terms of safety(or lack thereof)

Quote:
- Jeep Compass is expensive because it provides a lot of safety features that I believe only luxury brands provide in their expensive models.
Such as? (Am genuinely curious)

Quote:
- Skoda/VW in no way want to challenge and compete against the Koreans or even Maruti Suzuki in terms of numbers. They never said it and they never tried
Well aren't they in the same segment? And if not sales then how do you expect a mass market manufacturer to churn out profits?

Quote:
[*]Enthusiasts and ex-Skoda/VW owners.
I am a VW owner and absolutely love my car to the bits. I had a very in depth, thorough look at the Kushaq yesterday and if there is one thing I can say, it's that it's a very watered down version in terms of quality compared to their previous cars. I am slightly disappointed as well and don't think it will be a proper replacement (let alone an upgrade) to my Vento.

Quote:
[*]Buyers who want cars that are not so common on road ( Read Seltos, Creta ).
Again, contradiction on your part. If you believe it will consistently do 5k units a month, then those cars will definitely not vanish into thin air right?

Quote:
I like VW Taigun more than Kushaq and am waiting for its price list. I have driven both VW Polo and Skoda Fabia. Somehow, I preferred VW Polo's driving feel as compared to Fabia's. Hence Taigun over Kushaq.
Again, Polo and Fabia were completely different cars that too from a different era. I would still advise you to go test drive the Kushaq and Taigun and have an in depth look at both before coming to any sort of conclusion on how they feel or drive.

Last edited by porsche_guy : 5th July 2021 at 18:37.
porsche_guy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:00   #780
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
The only reason the "Koreans"are being discussed in a thread about the Kushaq is when Skoda fans endlessly go "but the classic VAG, only a fool who doesnt care for his family will buy anything but a VAG and esp a Korean"
What else you were expecting ? This is India and people have strong(not justifying it but it is what it is) opinions here. You go to harrier thread and some might call you anti national for buying non tata/Mahindra car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I am someone who is an enthusiast (are you btw arguing that an enthusiast can't or won't buy a Korean? or that only if someone buys a VAG le Solid European timeless car are they enthusiasts?) and who defended my purchase of a Korean BECAUSE many comments insinuated that,

1) I didn't care for my family because I purchased a Seltos
2) I am not an enthusiast and somehow who only went in for the bells and whistles.

Both on the PM's I have received as well as direct comments on the thread, this has touched a raw nerve with many.

Maybe if such odious comparisions weren't made, no one would need justify anything?
You already quoted the answer to this in your post. Those who bought Seltos/Creta must be having their reasons. But justifying your Korean purchase on a “Kushaq thread” is just strange. Looks more like buyer’s remorse than anything else. A happy and content customer would never care about what others say. This thread is about information gathering which would help you make an informed decision. If you have already made a decision and it’s not Kushaq then why bother with this thread ?
curiousnewbie is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks