Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2021, 11:16   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Now a new dimension to Skoda customers horror stories:

In addition to the trauma, horror and cheating that takes place in Skoda ASS, a new dimension has emerged - it now takes 20 days after booking to get a slot to service your car at most Skoda dealerships. And this is before the Kushaq onslaught. Once Kushaq’s pile up at the ASS, one will probably have to wait much longer to get your car serviced.
Can you please mention the source of this information here? I just checked with my local Skoda service centre (Kolkata) and they said there is no such thing. I can get a slot for tomorrow. The max wait time is 2 days.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:53   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post

Verdict

Both, me and Vishy76 unanimously agreed on the fact that the Kushaq is a good package. Acceptable quality levels, a good feature list and a spacious cabin. However what was extremely apparent was that the Kushaq simply couldn't match up to the levels of finesse of his Jetta or for the fact, even my Vento. We simply couldn't digest the dilution in quality, especially with a Skoda badge on the hood.
Thanks a lot for your detailed and honest post.
However, I find this commentary a bit contradictory. As per your observation, the Kushaq doesn't have the expected quality levels, even when compared to Vento/Rapid which are a decade old cars priced way cheaper. On top of that, it doesn't boast of the greatest feature set either when compared to the segment leaders/Koreans. So, how does it become a good package? Just curious.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:58   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Kushaq gets over 2000 bookings since launch.
- 1L TSI AT Ambition the most popular
- Carbon Steel most popular choice amongst other colours followed by white and orange.

Quote:
In just a week since its launch (June 28), the Skoda Kushaq has received over 2,000 bookings, according to our sources. The 1.0 TSI AT Ambition is proving to be the most popular variant with garnering around 40 percent of total 1.0 TSI orders. Keen pricing and good value is drawing customers to the 1.0 TSI according to dealers who are quite happy with the response.

The ‘Carbon-Steel’ colour is the most preferred by buyers, followed by white and orange. According to some dealers, all versions have received adequate interest, including the 1.5 TSI, whose test drives are yet to begin. As reported by us earlier, deliveries for the Kushaq 1.5 TSI will start a little later. Most dealers say that around 25 percent of orders are for the larger engine and they expect this share to increase once test drives begin.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-orders-421307
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:01   #814
BHPian

So, a day ago I got a call from the Skoda showroom's Sales Manager of my town, telling me that the cars have reached and they would be doing the launching on Monday with all balloons and drama. He asked me if I could come today itself, he would be able to give me ample time with the Kushaq and a longer test drive.

Being a Sunday, it was easy for me , moreover I was lured by the empty showroom and exclusive test drive thingy and I moved my buns to reach the showroom.

There were two cars available , Style 1L (Manual) in white shade and Style 1L (Automatic) in silver shade. I spent good 1.5 hours or so at the showroom , test driving the vehicle thoroughly for around 15 Kms. (I am talking about the manual)

Here are my observations:

Exteriors:

1. Loved the car's size . it is just appropriate fine and looks clean and subtle from all angles, elegant lines and feels well put up. Did not find inconsistencies in the panels.

2. The alloys look fabulous and comes with "not so good" Apollo Alnac rubber, better tyres recommended for potential buyers.

3. Boot area is cleverly designed, can gulp good quantity of bags since its deep enough as compared to its counterparts.

4. Blacked out lights with DRLs look cool, especially on the silver variant. DRLs are standard across all variants.

5. Tinted glasses seems to do the work and look fine.

Interiors:

1. The steering design is unique, feels nice to hold and leather wrap quality is strictly average.

2. Ergonomics are fine except, I was unable to find a place to rest my right arm while driving since the height of windows is higher as compared as comparable to other vehicles I have driven. I really wished this was not the case. I would like to hear on this from fellow bhpians please.

3. Plastic quality felt better than the Creta's , although the air vents fins seemed very flimsy as pointed out by others as well.

4. Cabin is silent and feels secure, the doors are heavy as Skoda's doors are and instils confidence.

5. Sunroof is namesake and exposed hinges makes the matter worse, not good Skoda. You may check the pictures to understand the atrocity

6. Touchscreen's feel and shape and the way is designed in the overall interiors feels nice and aesthetically pleasing. Did not try it much since driving is what I was more focused towards.

7. Rear leg room is good, I am stout, 5.11" and as per my front seating, I was able to sit comfortably at the rear. Much better than ecopsort or Sonet, but then- that's a wrong comparison I guess. However, the rear seats are hard and one gets that feel immediately after sitting on them, and yes, it is strictly a 4 seater.

8. Side pockets felt useful and power window buttons felt robust.

The Drive:

1. Loved the way she pulls, although bit more linear as compared to the Rapid.

2. Turbo lag is felt at low rpms but is definitely liveable.

3. The steering feel is as I predicted, no nonsense, no dead feel. Very responsive and weighs perfectly as per the speed.

4. Suspension seems to be tuned somewhere in between soft and stiffer side. I felt it was fine, did not feel much body roll although it was not sedan territory which is obvious for a higher GC vehicle.

5. The horn is paltry and and does not suit the car one bit. Unnecessary cost cutting.

6. Insulation seemed fine to me, I drove the car upto 140 km/hr and the sound proofing was spot on.

7. I would anyway feel more confident taking turns, doing high speed manoevurs and braking while driving the Kushaq as compared to the Creta. The car handles nicely and in a contained manner.

8. Tested the cruise control, it is simple to operate and as opposed from many other vehicles which activate post minimum speed of 40 km/hr., the Kushaq's cruise control can be activated from min. speed of 20km/hr.

The "hidden" Competitor:

To many on this forum and across the internet, the primary competitor to Kushaq is Creta/ Seltos and I understand the same owing to the same price bracket and stance of the vehicles.However, since I had good amount of time to spend at the showroom, I took the liberty of driving the Skoda Rapid as well, just to understand the reason for a difference of 3 lakhs between the two vehicles, both having the same engine.

I do not want to start a debate here, but I failed to understand why anyone would spend 12.xx lakhs for OTR price of a Kushaq while he/she can get the same pleasure (rather better) while driving the Rapid.

Compared to Kushaq, the Rapid:

Felt more eager, more planted and more sorted fundamentally.
Its steering connect felt even better.
Has humongous boot.
Has proven safety.
Provides better seat comfort (rear)

I believe the few things going towards Kushaq's way is the novelty factor, increased Ground clearance and additional gizmos and features (in top spec variants).

The Verdict

Kushaq is a good product, although cost cutting (especially in its interiors) is evident as compared to other Skoda's we have seen in India including the Fabia and Yeti. Since I am not very fond of sub 4 metre vehicles the Kushaq makes its own case of being neither here nor there.

That being said, over the Korean twins, if resale does not bother someone much and he/she wants to keep the car for a longer duration, has a decent service centre nearby, I would definitely recommend going ahead with the Kushaq, especially the active trim as compared to the E variant of Creta , which is too bare bones and has atrocious waiting periods.

Mind it, it shall be a pure heart over head decision but given the felt safety and dynamics, the Kushaq will surely bring smile to the driver's face , although for a much wider smile and that too at a lesser amount I would suggest the Rapid to all driving enthusiasts, you need to drive her to understand the joy.

Thank you fellow bhpians for showing patience and reading through, I would let the pictures do the talking now.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-mgaehhrr3sumgnl9fwnlw.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-9nl9ojcqrabwjwqur9z4a.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-boimmncqriespaktu6gvng.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-3rgt4lhes2ylrcmwnnvrq.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-kupbhukeq7epeeppbz7baq.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-z6vwzn2lth2fmhrxemszlw.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-pe7xag2rsdugbd6ny6di5w.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-lqz7ofustksgzijwu1h5uw.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-6n7qols3ca5of4z4pog.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-7hhp1xdoqxmroudcyicpa.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-z0w5te9pt36spoaveplddg.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-zxcrsjiqswhe8n6jgurja.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-4nahy4zftfl92xjrcqrmq.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-xogaabwrq8cx7hswbbhqoq.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-fullsizeoutput_e25.jpeg  

NST440 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:09   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
I do not want to start a debate here, but I failed to understand why anyone would spend 12.xx lakhs for OTR price of a Kushaq while he/she can get the same pleasure (rather better) while driving the Rapid.
Hmm, that could be the reason Skoda has stopped production (?) of Rapid. Make way for your emperor, the soldiers sacrifice
Dr.Naren is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:35   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks a lot for your detailed and honest post.
However, I find this commentary a bit contradictory. As per your observation, the Kushaq doesn't have the expected quality levels, even when compared to Vento/Rapid which are a decade old cars priced way cheaper. On top of that, it doesn't boast of the greatest feature set either when compared to the segment leaders/Koreans. So, how does it become a good package? Just curious.
By acceptable quality levels, I meant that it is acceptable only. Nothing great, doesn't even match our cars but it's not as bad as say Maruti. It becomes a good package because it is a decent all rounder. It has an adequate amount of features, good space, powerful enough engines and AT options but then doesn't nearly every other car in the segment have it too? What I specifically wanted to point out is that it's a good package, just not something that stands out or is great. The car, very honestly lacks a USP IMHO.

Hope that cleared it up

Last edited by porsche_guy : 6th July 2021 at 12:39.
porsche_guy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:19   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
By acceptable quality levels, I meant that it is acceptable only. Nothing great, doesn't even match our cars but it's not as bad as say Maruti. It becomes a good package because it is a decent all rounder. It has an adequate amount of features, good space, powerful enough engines and AT options but then doesn't nearly every other car in the segment have it too? What I specifically wanted to point out is that it's a good package, just not something that stands out or is great. The car, very honestly lacks a USP IMHO.

Hope that cleared it up
I agree mostly. As rightly pointed out by you, it lacks a USP. So, I would have called it a decent-to-good package if it would have been priced lower. By offering less features and inferior interior quality (relative to their own cars which are priced lower, Maruti is not a good comparison as they don't have any offering in this segment) and pricing it at the top of the segment, SKoda/VW has screwed up big time. This reminds me of Honda's terrible attempt at capturing the Indian market with cars like BRV which were decent offerings but lacked the finesse and quality of typical Honda cars and were priced higher compared to the competition. This makes me wonder why global powerhouses like VW/Honda/Toyota are not able to compete in India. I would definitely like more competition in the 15-25 lakh SUV segment as I won't ever buy Korean cars with terrible crash test results.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:22   #818
BHPian

Quote:
[b]

In addition to the trauma, horror and cheating that takes place in Skoda ASS, a new dimension has emerged - it now takes 20 days after booking to get a slot to service your car at most Skoda dealerships. And this is before the Kushaq onslaught. Once Kushaq’s pile up at the ASS, one will probably have to wait much longer to get your car serviced.

Sure, new dealerships are being appointed but they appear to be on top of the Himalayas, in the middle of the desert or in Timbuktu, not in areas where there are customer bases or where there are pileups. (read metros).

Most of the new dealerships in the vague places will close down in a year or two.

So, going forward, prepare to wait in a long queue before you are traumatized (read your car is serviced) by the Skoda ASS.
Not sure which specific service center you were referring to, but here in Bangalore, you get a service booking on weekdays easily. This is based on my personal experience and not any hearsay.
Regarding your comment on new dealerships being opened in Timbuktu, I personally know that atleast one such place, Thrissur in Kerala, will put metros to shame with their purchasing power of luxury goods.

Last edited by Lambydude : 6th July 2021 at 14:26.
Lambydude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 15:11   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Maruti is not a good comparison as they don't have any offering in this segment and pricing it at the top of the segment, SKoda/VW has screwed up big time. This reminds me of Honda's terrible attempt at capturing the Indian market with cars like BRV
Is S Cross not a comparable product in the segment?

Quote:
[b]

So, going forward, prepare to wait in a long queue before you are traumatized (read your car is serviced) by the Skoda ASS.
Not sure where you had checked. In the last 4 years, I had always got a weekend slot on first call to the service centre. Never once in my 6 visits I was denied a slot of my date and time preference. Have a Hyundai as well, but did not get the required time slots twice in last 3 years.

Let's not bash just for the sake of it.
Karvel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 16:16   #820

Found a youtube video of Ambition AT.

Gosha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 16:20   #821
BHPian

Well, all cars seem to be lapped up readily these days.

Revenge buying on its peak

Kushaq too gets 2,000 bookings in a Week.
Old 6th July 2021, 17:10   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Can you please mention the source of this information here? I just checked with my local Skoda service centre (Kolkata) and they said there is no such thing. I can get a slot for tomorrow. The max wait time is 2 days.
Agree, even in Bangalore I have always got a slot for service within max 4 days. Even if this is true, it might be temporary since many places were in lockdown for more than a month and after lockdown many who were due service would have contacted the service center, I do not see any other reason.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 17:13   #823
BHPian

Quote:
On the Hyundai vs Skoda / VW debate:

Now a new dimension to Skoda customers horror stories:

I feel it is more of a hearsay, and I don't attribute it to facts. Not just my Skoda, even from a bunch of other buddies, who own Skoda in different cities, the service slot is available the very next day. Naturally, I feel that you have got to hear it from a wrong source.
K.grg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 17:38   #824
BHPian

I found these two FE numbers during video reviews. Did anyone else see any significantly different numbers in any other video reviews or notice anything during your test drives?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq-mileage-overdrive.png  

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq-mileage-td.png  

AnnaRocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 17:39   #825
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians,

Does anyone happen to have the variant wise feature distribution brochure. For the extra money (around 2.5 Lacs) that the ambition commands over the active, what all features would one get?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks