Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:30   #1336
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenath13 View Post
Congratulations on the new ride !

Whats the real difference in the air condition units of 1.0 and 1.5 ? or is it just the higher powered engine that does the trick ?

Curious to know if you had considered the Taigun as I am in the middle of making this choice myself. Thanks.
In case you missed it, in this post DBhpian Behemoth has clearly explained what might be the reason behind average AC performance in 1.0 TSI https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5097820 (Skoda Kushaq Review). During PDI, I did had an opportunity to do the joint PDI along with showroom staff and I did bring this up casually with one of a lead technician. Even though I couldn`t really get a convincing answer from him and but with 4 people onboard in a hot and humid coastal climate, it takes a considerate amount of time to cool the cabin. Overall I would say, it all depends on the climate at your place. I think for a cooler climate with less humidity, people might not notice it but for southern coastal climate, this will be ineffective. Having said that, AC performance in 1.5TSI is good but not the best if you compare it with Ford cars. But it is certainly not a deal-breaker.

I did briefly consider Taigun for the looks and VW brand, but when the initial preview was out, with 1.5TSI MT missing out on 6 airbags and some essential features like ventilated seats, etc, all the euphoria died down. If at all they had included this in the package, I might have gone the Taigun way.
DragonHawk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:30   #1337
BHPian

Polished (Meguiars Ultimate Polish) and waxed my car yesterday, collinite 925 (same as 845 having same formula, 845 is out of stock so bought 925), will share more photos later.

Till now loving the driving, suspensions absorb most of the bad roads.
Few issues faced in android auto, where music sound went off and then switching to inbuilt app like radio or gaana(where sound comes), and again come back to AA, sound started working, seems like issue with AA, and hope this will get fixed in some time. Sound quality is great, bass lovers will enjoy.

No touchscreen issue faced so far, no hang, no slowness, it works smooth and interface is very easy to operate.

Getting overall long-term average as 11 in city drives only. 12.2 is the max I got in city so far. Planning a weekend drive in coming weekend, will share more info then.
Attached Images

Last edited by maverickNerd : 23rd August 2021 at 11:31. Reason: Typo Correction
maverickNerd is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:21   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
ACI reports Skoda Kushaq real world fuel economy :
Quote:
As for the larger motor, with active cylinder deactivation technology working its magic, the 1.5-litre TSI is often running on just two-cylinders, so long as you are not driving aggressively.
Just a thought. If one is driving largely on highways and in a sedate fashion, won't those two cylinders in action will have a larger wear and tear(piston, rings, walls etc) in the longer run as against the other two.

What would be the long term downsides? Won't it create some imbalance in performance at a later stage of the car's life when it runs on all 4 cylinders?

Cylinders 2 and 3 are the ones that get cut off in Kushaq. Would it help if the load is balanced - i.e, cylinders 1 and 4 should get deactivated too in equal measure or even different combination of cylinder pair in subsequent cycles. Pardon my ignorance if this has been discussed before.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd August 2021 at 12:34.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:10   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Just a thought. If one is driving largely on highways and in a sedate fashion, won't those two cylinders in action will have a larger wear and tear(piston, rings, walls etc) in the longer run as against the other two.
I am not an expert in this field but still let me put my 2 cents here.

1.5TSI engine comes with APS-coated cylinder walls which ensures that the piston rings glide smoothly with low friction and little wear. APS or in simple terms plasma spray coating is not a new term, it has been in use in different industries for quite some time now.
Quote:
What would be the long term downsides? Won't it create some imbalance in performance at a later stage of the car's life when it runs on all 4 cylinders?

Cylinders 2 and 3 are the ones that get cut off in Kushaq. Would it help if the load is balanced - i.e, cylinders 1 and 4 should get deactivated too in equal measure or even different combination of cylinder pair in subsequent cycles. Pardon my ignorance if this has been discussed before.
I think it has to do with firing order more than anything else as improper firing order might lead to imbalance which in turn will affect the overall functioning. Having said that I remember reading an article which talks about this "rotating" cylinder deactivation on a multi-cylinder engine. This means that on a three-cylinder engine, either only cylinder 2 or cylinder 1 combined with cylinder 3 is switched off alternately. The result of this strategy is a uniform firing order, with each cylinder firing only every second engine cycle. This concept has also been investigated by Ford in the EcoBoost 1.0 three-cylinder engine but was not transferred to series production
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:21   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
ACI reports Skoda Kushaq real world fuel economy :

Attachment 2196025

Link
The active cylinder deactivation tech coming to main stream cars is surely interesting.

I noticed something interesting with the graph.
How can 14.3 have a larger tab than 15.4 ? Or the text in the graph is not correct.
soumobakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:15   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
The active cylinder deactivation tech coming to main stream cars is surely interesting.
Cylinder deactivation technology may seem quite novel in India but it's been around for more than a decade and a half.
Honda are very good at it and I think they introduced it in the North American market way back in the early 2000's in the US market MPV, the Odyssey.

In fact, the Honda Accord V6 which was sold here in India had VCM,(Variable Cylinder Management), that's cylinder deactivation in Honda-speak.

VAG group also had it for quite some time. Same goes for Mazda. Ford knew the technology well but somehow didn't push it much. Same goes for Peugeot - Citroen. Toyota's Camry & Lexus luxo barges also implemented it, not for all markets though.
arjab is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:24   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

Deactivating cylinders does not mean those cylinders stop moving. It just means there is no combustion taking place in them. They are still moving just like normal along with the other ones which are fired. That means there won't be much of a difference when it comes to piston rings and cylinder walls etc.. Its probably the Valves, injectors and sparkplugs etc that wear unevenly.

I don't know whether the ECU alternates between 1+3 and 2+4 cylinders when deactivating. I'm sure someone who knows more in detail can explain that aspect.

Cylinder deactivation technology has been around for quite a while. So I don't think theres anything to worry about.
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:13   #1343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Deactivating cylinders does not mean those cylinders stop moving. It just means there is no combustion taking place in them. They are still moving just like normal along with the other ones which are fired. That means there won't be much of a difference when it comes to piston rings and cylinder walls etc.. Its probably the Valves, injectors and sparkplugs etc that wear unevenly.
you are right w.r.t VW ACT techology, there is no combustion in the deactivated cylinders but pistons continue to move.

Quote:
I don't know whether the ECU alternates between 1+3 and 2+4 cylinders when deactivating.
From the above video, it looks like only 2nd and 3rd cylinders have actuators mounted and hence these will be the only cylinders that are deactivated. The video is 9 years old and VW/Skoda could definetly have changed things now.
procrj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:19   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysawant View Post
Got a Skoda Kushaq yesterday in our extended family. I did find some quality check issues. The left side cladding near front wheel is loosely fitted. One clip inside the bonnet is not there. The car was not clean as per our satisfaction when we got our deliver.Attachment 2197287

Attachment 2197288

We understand it is not a big deal, but it can scare you for sure. After all its Skoda.
Those photos of fit and finish issues took me back to the Fiat Punto and Linea days of 2009-10. That is shoddy QC and totally not expected from VAG or any other brand in current times!

Last edited by nitkel : 23rd August 2021 at 21:22.
nitkel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:29   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I was under the impression the best highway economy figures are obtained when the engine is spinning in the highest gear at the lowest RPM. That should be somewhere in the region of 75-80kph in top gear at ~1800-2000 RPM I imagine, definitely not 'sport' driven or such high speeds.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
15.4 kmpl is on the lower side.
The best Mileage setting in T Roc ( 1.5 TSI + DSG) is D6, 65-75 kmph. Under these conditions, ACT activates and we can easily get above 23-25 kmpl on the highway. But it is not practical to drive under these conditions as it gets boring after some time.

Highways: 80-95 kmpl , avoiding sudden acceleration = Above 18 Kmpl

Highways: 95-110 kmpl , avoiding sudden acceleration = Above 17 Kmpl

Higways: 95-110 kmpl with little sporty drive = Above 16 kmpl

Higways: 95-110 kmpl with heavy foot = Above 14 kmpl

Higways: 110-130 kmpl with heavy foot = Above 12 kmpl

The above figures are under full load.
If engine rpm is kept below 2500 then we can expect very good mileage.
sagwal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:45   #1346
BHPian

I'm really impressed that we have so many BTech's in Plastic technology in our forum.

To expect that Kushaq will have same level of plastics and interior quality as an Octavia which is double the price is wish-fulfilment.

To expect that it will have similar interior quality to the competition is justified. I won't deny that the Kushaq has hard touch surfaces. But so does the king of the pack , the mighty Creta ! Likewise for the Seltos.

The key difference being the straight lines incorporated by new VAG group car interiors makes it look built to a cost vs the relatively rounded trim of the competition. That's also the reason some people visually find the Polo/Vento trims better , though there are zilch soft materials there as well.

And the minimalist dull dark grey (Skoda's attempt at Nordic chic) doesn't appeal to most Indians (me included). They should have gone either with the Black and beige (associated with all luxury Skoda's) , alcantara black (sportsline) or at least made the seat covers ice grey akin to erstwhile Seltos GTX plus or Jeep compass limited.

The ice grey would have been the best option given that it matches with the door trim and rear console color.

But hey , there's a thriving aftermarket for seat covers Sharing a couple of options I would go for , in a few months.

Quick intervention by Skoda by introducing a new variant with these seats would dispel notions of 'built to a cost' imo.

I also feel that the marketing folks got it wrong with the 'Made in India' promo - this has backfired the same way as Nano's positioning. We laud Make in India as long as it's an Indian OEM , if it's a MNC we feel shortchanged. The Koreans who have a better pulse on the market knew this already
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-20210807_184201.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_20210820180944_chrome.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_20210820180936_chrome.jpg  

JishD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:30   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
I'm really impressed that we have so many BTech's in Plastic technology in our forum.
To expect that Kushaq will have same level of plastics and interior quality as an Octavia which is double the price is wish-fulfilment.
To expect that it will have similar interior quality to the competition is justified. I won't deny that the Kushaq has hard touch surfaces. But so does the king of the pack , the mighty Creta ! Likewise for the Seltos.
We laud Make in India as long as it's an Indian OEM , if it's a MNC we feel shortchanged. The Koreans who have a better pulse on the market knew this already
I believe we are now going in circles on this thread with the same arguments thrown around by members who are pro and against Kushaq. To sum it up, I would say that people in general were expecting a more complete package at the current premium prices that Skoda want's to charge. They brought a knife to a gun fight and everyone knows how that will end!
nitkel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 19:06   #1348
BHPian

Skoda need to watch out, even 10-15 vocal early adopters on social media can really create a negative narrative.

The Kushaq/Taigun will probably be one of those vehicles where it might be wise to purchase one in late 2022 or early 2023 to get a niggle free version after Skoda/VW iron out the initial kinks. The thing about premium pricing is customer expectations are quite high.
Goldenboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 19:24   #1349
BHPian

Had been waiting long to TD Skoda Kushaq which was my strongest shortlist for new purchase amongst other. Was interested in the Ambition AT variant as it suited my budget as well as AT requirement. Took a TD with my father, brother and Skoda SA. My observations are as follows

+VES
- The door thud, reassuring and felt so good
- Exteriors with the Skoda badging looks awesome, both in front and back with the Skoda name running through the entire boot door
- Nicely placed dash with very good visibility from seating position. It had cooled glovebox too a thing I look for as I find it highly useful
- The steering is what I liked the most, super creamy and light, could handle the car with a finger. The turnings and the parkings are so smooth. Also the touch and feel along with the little buttons and chrome rollers
- Ample Leg room both at front and the back
- Felt no engine/road noise in cabin till 60 KMPH

-VES
- Sunroof is reserved for Style variant which was a big let down
- The interiors felt too good in the photos unlike the actual feel and looks, especially the colour combo of grey and black. Seems so-so and not very classy
- The AHU dimension seemed more in width and less in height (rather dimension, seems like you're watching the smartphone in landscape mode)
- Took the TD vehicle to difficult road and heard lots of squeaks and rattling from all over - the roofs, the doors, the dashboard - I don't know from where all. The SA got so embarrassed. All he could manage saying that he would complaint regarding the same
- The exterior though looks classy, the car by itself looks petit. I would not be exaggerating if I say Hyundai Venue looks bigger (even if it is not). I am not sure why or is it only me who felt the same. It doesn't garner road presence.
- Not much punch at lower RPMs (till 1800). Felt uncomfortable overtaking a trailer I was following as even after total push down of accelerator at 3rd gear, I was gasping for more speed

Came so close to buying this one. I am sure no car can impress you 100% and you would always want a little more, but this one asks a lot. A big gap to fill up with the Skoda badge.
sprinter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 21:28   #1350
Senior - BHPian

On a different note, I wonder how much the pandemic has impacted the quality model of the automotive industry in India. For example, there are known delays in electronic components from supply chain perspective. But Is there a measure of productivity and quality impact at all levels including ancillary units ? And therefore is there an unwritten rule to ever so occasionally look the other way at every stage of the production ecosystem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks