Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 10:43   #1381
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Slot into D mode, take your foot off the brake pedal and the Kushaq DSG slowly creeps forward. This will be highly appreciated in heavy traffic conditions where you can drive with just the brake pedal.
From the DSG longevity perspective, in heavy traffic would you recommend using Paddle shifters between 1 and 2 gears or DSG with a brake acci should be fine?

Quote:
I found the 1.5L TSI to be too boomy at high revs though. If you are continuously driving hard and / or in ‘S” mode, your passengers will complain about the prominent boominess.
Honestly I dont get this S mode when you have the paddle shifters, just enjoy the control on revs and engine braking
BTW TROC has an insulation underneath the bonnet cover, that helps reduce the noise.

Quote:
Some BHPians who can't resist the DSG have mentally relegated themselves to 2 breakdowns over 8 - 10 years of ownership. If reliability is your topmost criteria, you should pick the 1.0 with a torque-converter AT, or consider another car model altogether.
I think it is 1.0 Kushaqs which have broken down so far due to the EPC issue, and not the 1.5DSG cars, can someone confirm? But I get the point, DSG will have breakdowns in its lifespan.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:02   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Kushaq 1.5: I feel you will get into trouble if you drive at the limits - the brakes and chassis don't seem upto the challenge.
Please entertain my queries as below for the 1.5 TSI MT,
1. Since the plastic quality has come down, will the interior plastic bits and trims hold up for an age of 10 years?
2. Was there body roll at speeds of 120 KPH on sweeping corners of highways?
3. I don't always redline. Will the engine and transmission be robust and reliable to cross 2,00,000 KMs?
4. Was the roof still laser seam welded or they've resorted to spot welding?
5. Did you check out the illumination of headlamp unit?
6. The maximum payload it can carry without stressing the engine and suspension. Since at times, it will be used as a beater car loaded with wear plates.
7. The performance of A/C. Any changes in the refrigerant quantity or related components as opposed to the 1.0 TSI?
8. Again, did the dreaded EPC error crop up during your sprint?

Thanks.
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:46   #1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Road presence against Creta, once again -

Attachment 2199211

Attachment 2199212

Courtesy - Skoda Kushaq Club India on FB.
Maybe height look similar because of differences in tyre pressure. I have seen both Creta and Kushaq in my parking. Though I can't see top of Creta's roof while standing, for Kushaq 90% roof is clearly visible.
nimz_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:51   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just these three aspects totally disqualified this car from being a contender. Chimes can be disabled I guess. I might get to like or live with engine noise (it is responsive and powerful). High speed braking was a total deal breaker - I think it has more to do with it not being a sedan than rear drum brakes.
Asking just you know, for science: how do you disable the speed chimes? I have seen it in the infotainment menu, but that, as far as I know, is for setting up or dsiabling a custom speed alert.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st September 2021 at 11:59. Reason: For ease of reading, please avoid quoting the full post. Thank you!
Old 1st September 2021, 12:10   #1385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Please entertain my queries as below for the 1.5 TSI MT,
1. Since the plastic quality has come down, will the interior plastic bits and trims hold up for an age of 10 years?
2. Was there body roll at speeds of 120 KPH on sweeping corners of highways?
3. I don't always redline. Will the engine and transmission be robust and reliable to cross 2,00,000 KMs?
4. Was the roof still laser seam welded or they've resorted to spot welding?
5. Did you check out the illumination of headlamp unit?
6. The maximum payload it can carry without stressing the engine and suspension. Since at times, it will be used as a beater car loaded with wear plates.
7. The performance of A/C. Any changes in the refrigerant quantity or related components as opposed to the 1.0 TSI?
8. Again, did the dreaded EPC error crop up during your sprint?

Thanks.
The plastics will hold but they are not premium soft-touch plastics one sees in cars like Octavia etc. This is a result of their so called localisation. For most cars beyond 10 years of age, the problem is not with materials but with rattles and squeaks. This depends on the type of roads and the abuse the car sees - our Indian roads will make even a Rolls Royce rattle in 10 years.

I haven't checked corners but no body roll while you weave through traffic at high speeds even under pedal to metal mode. Steering is on the lighter side, but perfectly predictable and enjoyable. My issue was with hard braking and while it was adequate, I didn't like it.

I don't think anyone with 2L km in mind should consider a VW. Manual transmission will last but will lose its smooth operation. AT box on 1.0 will last the distance and will remain smooth, which is why it is my top recommendation from the list of variants. I don't think TSI motor can last 2L km without issues.

I didn't pay attention to AC due to lovely Bangalore weather these days. The air-flow was freezing my fingers on the steering so I had to tilt the vents up - I could conclude two things. AC is cold enough even at silent blower speed and the plastics vents are not ugly enough to catch my attention.

No errors other than annoying speed beeps.

I drove it only to test the DSG+Engine combination and it was on new airport road (Jakkur Bangalore PPS showroom) and it was completely pedal-to-metal and hard-braking mode. Decent amount of traffic and fast roads - ideal conditions to test. Had the engine revved without noise and the hard-braking were confidence inspiring, this would have been a phenomenal car. One could argue that not everyone would be driving at the limits but then why pay extra for 1.5+DSG when a more sensible 1.0 AT exists.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 12:56   #1386
BHPian

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot-20210901-12.45.25-pm.png

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot-20210901-12.46.17-pm.png

This might be the first Kushaq if not one of the firsts to be involved in a crash. The owner claims he was hit by a bullock cart at the speed of - 60
adventureseeker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 14:15   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureseeker View Post
Attachment 2200867

This might be the first Kushaq if not one of the firsts to be involved in a crash. The owner claims he was hit by a bullock cart at the speed of - 60
Damage is quite huge. But more importantly can a bullock cart reach speeds of 60 kmph?
07CR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 14:22   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureseeker View Post
Seems like this tweet is now deleted. Not sure why, though.

Also, without knowing the circumstances of the accident, it is tough to doubt the build quality.
Old 1st September 2021, 14:30   #1389
BHPian

[quote=adventureseeker;5139053]Attachment 2200867

This is indeed a deep impact, and 60KMPH is a good speed. How did that bumper manage to stay unmoved? I would expect the bumper to be torn out for most Indian cars (certainly for Maruti), or atleast to be unclipped fully.

I don't know what to infer from this pic.
Old 1st September 2021, 14:49   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
Seems like this tweet is now deleted. Not sure why, though.

Tweet is still available at https://twitter.com/tusharz_more/sta...fzeLvb9pg&s=19
drivingmelody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 14:56   #1391
Distinguished - BHPian

So with the first few accidents of the Kushaq, our citizens are already upto an NTSB level investigation and analysing the build quality of the Kushaq. Expected *Slow claps*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
This is indeed a deep impact, and 60KMPH is a good speed. How did that bumper manage to stay unmoved? I would expect the bumper to be torn out for most Indian cars (certainly for Maruti), or atleast to be unclipped fully.

I don't know what to infer from this pic.
On what basis do you expect the bumper to tear out for most Indian cars? The first and foremost thing to look at is the nature and shape of the other object which was involved in this collision. In this case, it looks like a side swipe going by the shape of the damage and not an impact. Also by the sharp lines, it looks like a bullock cart with a metal frame or the metal arm that goes onto the bulls. Either of it has come in contact with the sheet metal.

Now the bullock cart is not at the bumper level, hence the bumper is saved. This is irrespective of the car obviously. Coming to the rest of the damage, it is natural for the sheet metal to get ripped off when there is a side swipe with say the end of a metal rod or the corner of a metallic frame. Hence, the sort of damage that has happened here is expected to look quite bad.
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:06   #1392
BANNED

I recently took a Test Drive of the 1.5 TSI DSG as I was interested to see how the Kushaq drives and how good is this engine gearbox combination.

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaqs.jpg

Background: I have 1.2 TSI DSG Polo(with some mods) as my daily driver and my parents use a current gen X1 which I drive from time to time. We have also had an Ecosport Ecoboost in the past. So my comparisons would be made w.r.t these cars
  • Build Quality For exteriors is top notch, usual VAG quality. For interiors, I feel it is on par with Polo/Vento Segment with it being better at some places but worse at others. The weight and solid feeling of a VAG car is definitely still there.
  • Space inside is brilliant, I would say very close to the X1 and much better than Seltos/creta thanks to the longer wheelbase. I had more than enough space at the backseat trying to sit behind the driver's seat set for myself at 5' 11". Width is definitely not enough for comfortable 3 seating but I don't think any car in this segment is genuinely comfortable for this.

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq-legroom.jpg
  • Engine and Gearbox: 1.5 TSI is very smooth , i would say half a level better than 1.2 in terms of refinement and WAY better than the 1.0 TSI that i have tried in Polo/Rapid. But as an enthusiast, I didn't find that "kick" that the 1.0 and even the old 1.2 had. In terms of pure speed, yes the 1.5 Kushaq might be a bit faster than say a 1.0 polo , but it doesn't feel like it. After getting a remap on my 1.2, i found the kick to be even better. So I would think the tuning on the 1.5 has been kept conservative and probably they offer a more souped version in a monte carlo version or maybe the upcoming Sedan. The Gearbox though works very well as usual and paddles are a joy to use.
  • Ride and Handling The Ride quality is nearly perfect and it handles broken roads like a boss. It is infinitely more comfortable than a polo/rapid on city roads and imperfections, very close to X1. BUT, this comes at the cost of handling. The steering is lifeless and has absolutely no feel. It is "video game" light at almost all speeds and this is probably a good thing for the target demographic. In comparison, Polo's steering is a bit heavier and feels noticeably better from an Enthusiast's perspective. I would suggest if Skoda/VW can offer drive modes to somehow give an option to weigh up the steering. Maybe getting wider tyres would help in this.
    BTW, all media cars had Goodyear Triplemaxx but I saw some cars at the dealer having MRF Wanderers

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq-wanderer.jpg
    And as for handling, it is sure footed but nowhere near as composed as Polo. (I may be biased and the comparison might be a bit unfair as I am running a sway bar upgrade on Polo). There is a good amount of body roll and it is noticeable if you are coming from anything better. X1 drives so much like a small hatch in the sense that there is hardly any roll, so I was expecting Kushaq to be close to that.
  • Conclusions
    In many ways Kushaq is exactly what Polo and Rapid aren't. It is comfortable, easy to drive, spacious, has good ride quality and really good features as well. But it does not appeal to the enthusiast in me. It is squarely aimed at a more mature buyer who is looking for a more comfortable option. I was expecting a bigger, faster fun to drive polo but the drive back home in my polo has made it clear that Polo is still way more fun to drive (Even though not as practical)

P.S. This drive has also brought a newfound respect for the luxury crossover segment. When you drive an X1 or GLA, they drive very much like a small hatch in that they are nimble, easy to place and it is very easy to dismiss them for being overpriced glorified hatches. But driving the Kushaq (and earlier Seltos) has clearly showed that it takes work and engineering to make these highly sprung cars to drive like they are low slung. Justifies the price in more ways than one.
agambhandari is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:24   #1393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemaster View Post
Asking just you know, for science: how do you disable the speed chimes? I have seen it in the infotainment menu, but that, as far as I know, is for setting up or dsiabling a custom speed alert.
I think it is easy to code it out in VW cars but not a DYI unless you have the necessary coding cable/software.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ng-alerts.html (Disabling the 80 / 120 kmph speed warning alerts)
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:36   #1394
Senior - BHPian

In Pune, the top end 1.5L petrol automatic with 2 airbags cost Rs.20.80 Lakhs, which is dangerously close to top end 1.5L diesel automatic Creta / Seltos with 6 airbags and perhaps more features. With XUV700 launch, I think the Kushaq/Tiagun (tiguan?) pair sales will be at risk.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 18:12   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
So with the first few accidents of the Kushaq, our citizens are already upto an NTSB level investigation and analysing the build quality of the Kushaq. Expected *Slow claps*
Spot on!

Also I don't get what the owner was expecting regarding build quality? You sir, hit a bullock cart @60kmph (or the other way around if that's even possible ) and got a deep dent but the damage hasn't even penetrated the cabin. What did he expect?

Last edited by superguy282 : 1st September 2021 at 18:14.
superguy282 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks