Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 16:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Why should this be in Sonet Category?
Sonet is less than 4m.

This vehicle is 22.xx cms longer than Sonet, has the option of larger petrol (1.5 Turbo) engines.
This is clearly from a segment above.
To be fair, the car somehow seems to compete against sub-4m instead of >4m category. It has none of the wow-factor for >4m category, and all the features (except optional 1.5l TSI) of Kushaq are also kind of expected in sub-4m category nowadays.

IMHO this is like S-Cross of Skoda. Size is from a segment above, but everything else is of a segment below. This might be a nice car, but I wouldn't expect it to get great sales, especially considering Skoda's pricing.
Old 26th June 2021, 16:28   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
as the length is more, compared to the deeper space in Kushaq. Every inch matters when we travel back to Bangalore from Kerala with our 6 months quota of banana chips, tapioca, jackfruit etc.
I think a practical side by side comparison of boot space in both the cars is needed to conclude, how come 385L boot space gulp in the similar sized luggage as that in 433L. As seen in the images shared both the boots are carrying similar luggage.First 2 images of Kushaq boot carrying capacity, 3rd image Creta's boot carrying capacity.
No doubt Creta's boot space will be a bit more as the car is more on length than the Kushaq, but i don't think so it can be considered as a deal breaker.
Image Courtesy - Zigwheels & dailyhunt
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-cretabootspace.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaqbootspace2.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaqbootspace1.jpg  

any23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 16:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

I'm really glad the localised VW-Škoda SUV we've been waiting for is finally here. It is definitely an interesting proposition with seemingly the right level of localisation. For a VW-Škoda product in India, it seems pretty well-appointed. I believe some of the misses aren't as important as they are made out to be (the panoramic sunroof, marginally smaller dimensions than rivals, etc.). In terms of cost-cutting, the roofliner doesn't look too bad, however I noticed some inconsistencies in the fitting of the seat covers that make it seem like the seat covers are an afterthought and that they aren't what the car should have come with from the factory. For example the rear outboard right-side ISOFIX anchors are exposed and have prominent contrasting plastic bits - which wouldn't be too bad if they were fitted correctly, but it looks like the holes for them have been cut into the seat cover asymmetrically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Rear bench gets ISOFIX child seat anchors on both sides:
But I'm just nitpicking here. There are some critical features I'm glad Škoda is offering as standard - ESC and three-point seatbelts and neck restraints in all seating positions. I believe no modern car, especially in this segment, should miss these in any variant. Multi-collision braking and 6 airbags (finally - they refused to provide them on all Polo-based cars) are great too. However, I hope the rumours about 6 airbags being limited to the highest trims with the manual gearbox aren't true. I believe 2 airbags are too few for a modern VW group car. I would've expected 4 as standard in line with other markets. If Honda can do it with the City, Škoda can too. Also, while a general sense of trust in Škoda prevails, I sincerely want the Kushaq (or Taigun) to be crash-tested by the Global NCAP. Since this is a localised product, it is very worrying and remains a big question mark. Volkswagen happily sponsored the Polo's crash test because they were confident of it, but Zac Hollis says that they'll wait for the NCAP to test the Kushaq (EuroNCAP loves testing VW group cars frequently - I hope Global NCAP does the same). Safety has been a strong selling point for Škoda in the past but I hope the localisation stops at size and cost-cutting in less important areas. I think it's okay for Škoda to charge a premium over competitors if it scores better on safety, however its competitors have not set the bar very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Looks like yes. 1.0 Automatic Top variant doesn't seem to get 6 airbags.
That is just sad.

It's also a relief that the new Volkswagen Play infotainment system - intended for India and Latin America, makes its debut in India, rather than the horrendous Android unit found in the Rapid 1.0TSI.

Coming to engines, I think the 1-litre TSI automatic variants should be the best pick (unless they miss side and curtain airbags in which case I'd skip the automatic transmission) except for enthusiasts who really crave that extra performance and are willing to live with the potential hassles of owning a DSG-equipped car. I'm surprised and happy that a 1.5TSI manual is available which should better cater to the enthusiasts. I hope this engine makes it to the Slavia too.

I'm rating this excellent, in-depth review 5 stars - and I hope the Kushaq scores the same.

Last edited by ron178 : 26th June 2021 at 16:50. Reason: Added last line
ron178 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 16:41   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
Thank you for the in depth review.
I saw in one of the video reviews uploaded today that the Top variant 1.5 DSG will get only 2 airbags instead of 6. Is that the case with the 1.0 Automatic Top variant too?
Looks like yes. 1.0 Automatic Top variant doesn't seem to get 6 airbags. I have taken a screen grab from two reviews in similar angles and it looks to me that there are no curtain airbags in 1.0 AT variant.

1.0 AT top variant (No airbag badge visible on B-pillar - Click on the image and look in full view)

Skoda Kushaq Review-1.0style_at_shot.png

MT top variant (1.5L though) (Airbag badge visible on B-Pillar in a similar camera angle which has also been captured in our teambhp review as well)

Skoda Kushaq Review-1.5style_shot.png

P.S: Not adding youtube links to avoid embedded preview. You can search based on the video title in Youtube. Video courtesy: Pilot On Wheels and SHIFTING-GEARS.com respectively

Last edited by skarthiksr : 26th June 2021 at 16:54.
skarthiksr is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 16:49   #80
BHPian

Excellent review, except, I could not but wonder why they left out the underbody protection plate exposing the sump and the oil filter! And what's with this plastic sump ? Even in my Superb, the sump is plastic! It seems like similar material to me, or am I mistaken? Not done then! Absolutely not done!

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...-kushaq-13.jpg

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 26th June 2021 at 16:54.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 17:35   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Alcazar left me underwhelmed, but the Kushaq left me overwhelmed! Absolutely loved the 1.5L TSI motor, fantastic 6-speed MT (best manual I've shifted in a long time), solid build and perfect suspension tune. You should've seen us flying down the Lonavla ghats. Everyone knows how I love the Seltos and this car also goes straight to the top of my recommendations list. The main downsides are the lack of that terrific 1.5L diesel & other Skoda-related stuff = DQ200's pathetic reliability and the fact that Skoda's long-term ownership is never trouble-free (patchy reliability, bad dealers, expensive spares, electronics, injectors, water pumps...). Are you willing to forego some peace-of-the-mind and endure some nonsense for driving pleasure & European finesse? Are you willing to suffer headaches for a couple of days a year, to enjoy the rest? That's a question you have to answer yourself.

Skoda is going to see volumes now that it's never seen before. From a 1500 cars / month company, it's just become a 6000 cars / month organisation. Hope the company & its dealers can handle the sales increase. As they say in the auto industry, there really is no company problem that a good car cannot solve. Make no mistake, this is the most important car for Skoda India since the 1st-gen Octavia marked the company's debut.

Sucks that they didn't make their brilliant 1.5L Diesel BS6-compliant when everyone else did. With a Diesel MT & AT, this is easily a 8000 cars / month model (subject to good pricing of course!).

Monday is the launch and I am excited as well as worried! In recent times, Skoda has shown an inclination toward profitability above all else (Octavia + Kodiaq were both overpriced by a few lakhs, as was the Karoq & RS245). I expect Skoda to charge a premium for what is truly a great package, but they shouldn't go overboard and make it overpriced. Competition is fierce in the segment.
Truly hope they take the pressure off Hyundai dealers and salespersons! Very important that the Indian consumers have a good alternative to the Korean twins. From the enthusiasm I sense in your writings, this is definitely a better if not an equally brilliant choice in this segment where Kia and Hyundai own 90%+ of the market
Old 26th June 2021, 17:41   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Here are few screenshots from the Overdrive review of Kushaq. To me the cars look neck and neck.
Image Courtesy - Overdrive
This is the post which screams, "Creta is ugly!!". (No offence to the owners).
It is quite a testimony to itself of the timeless design that Skoda has pulled off.
Piyush19 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 17:51   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Looks like yes. 1.0 Automatic Top variant doesn't seem to get 6 airbags. I have taken a screen grab from two reviews in similar angles and it looks to me that there are no curtain airbags in 1.0 AT variant.

1.0 AT top variant (No airbag badge visible on B-pillar - Click on the image and look in full view)
Good catch! If it indeed is the production spec car, I believe this sheds some light into their pricing thought process. Someone is trying to price it under a certain amount. What that amount is, we have no clue.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:00   #84
BHPian

Thank you for the comprehensive review. I am aware you havent tested 1.5 DSG, but can you please clarify few things

1. Is there an incremental benefit of Digital cockpit once we see in T-ROC and will likely see in Taigun? Does Skoda connect available on the 10 inch compensates for the lack of this feature
2. Taigun has a sports mode in one of the pictures posted, does 1.5DSG have a Sports Model (D/S)
3. Did the 1.5 Manual feel significantly punchy over the 1.0 Turbo? Does the few lakhs additional money provide driving fun?
4. Warranty says 4 years/ 100,000 Km. Does that mean user gets to choose either 4 years or 100,000 Kms?

look forward to hearing on this
vinitbarve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:08   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Excellent review, except, I could not but wonder why they left out the underbody protection plate exposing the sump and the oil filter! And what's with this plastic sump ? Even in my Superb, the sump is plastic! It seems like similar material to me, or am I mistaken? Not done then! Absolutely not done!

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...-kushaq-13.jpg
This to me was the biggest miss. Even the Rapid gets a rough road package so makes no sense why the SUV missed out on it. To top it off, the sump being plastic.

The lack of rough road is probably the single stand out I could see as a cost cutting measure.

Most of the other things are more form and perceived cost cutting like plastics and seats finishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
that plastic for closing the boot - all seems a from a segment or two below.
That handle for closing the boot is a direct lift from the Octavia not the new one with electric tailgate but the last year model that was manual. It's actually from the higher segment car.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:18   #86
BHPian

Finally onboard the Team-BHP community and what better thread to begin the journey with; than the hottest Kushaq thread. Thank you Chirag, Aditya & GTO.

I've been waiting for eternity on Kushaq, Taigun and XUV700 to replace my Vento 1.2 TSI DSG, so that I could make an informed choice in the mid size SUV segment (15-25 Lakh range).
Reading the most awaited review on Team-BHP and going through the Youtube usual suspects of Autocar, Evo, OD, etc. I must say it's a mixed bag for me and I'm more confused than ever.

Positives
- clean, subtle exterior styling - eternal. Brilliant paint job, consistent panel fittings as you'd expect from VAG cars.
- Splendid Carbon Steel color. The more pictures I see, the more I fall in love with this beauty in grey.
- No nonsense interiors. Again very subtle, nothing over the top (read Creta).
- Driving dynamics
- Safety features

Negatives
- Limited rear seat space and boot capacity. Boot may not be adequate for family tours.
- Missing premium features - power adjusted seat, 360 degree camera, front parking sensor, panoramic sunroof, one touch window controls (even my Vento has).
- Inconsistent results of DSG. Fortunately my Vento DSG DQ200 never gave me a scare, I've driven 50000Km. I'd choose DSG any day, however many TeamBHPians seem skeptical about this gearbox.
- No Six airbags in the top of line 1L AT. Now seriously Skoda?

As everyone is saying, Pricing is the key. I'd expect below e-showroom prices -
1L Manual Active - starting 10L
1L AT Style - 14L (closer to top end DCT of Sonet)
1.5L DSG - 17L (Closer to top end DCT of Creata)
Anything above this, and Skoda' India 2.0 ship might start sinking, before sailing.

Honestly, If Kushaq had little more space in the rear seat, little more boot and 360 degree camera, I would not mind giving 1-1.5L premium. But it has left me wanting for more. May be I'd still wait for XUV700, settle for Harrier or go all broke for Compass.
dh.harshal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:29   #87
BHPian

The only thing remaining for Skoda is to price them competitively now. The car seems to have everything I need and no unnecessary gimmicks. We have booked the 1.0 TSI AT mid variant in Carbon Steel colour and waiting for more reviews of the same. Most of the reviews seem to be of 1.5AT and MT. One thing I noticed on most of the YouTube reviews was the crumples on the seat fabric. They seem to be shoddily put together which is uncharacteristic of Skoda.
live2dream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:46   #88
BHPian

This seems to be 90% there as a package.
Great engines, class leading dynamics and (presumably) safe. The passenger space is great as well, albeit for 4.
I also don't get the comparisons with the Venue / Sonet. It does seem to have the same presence as that of the Creta. It's mainly the stubby boot and barely protruding bumper that gives it that impression.
Stellar effort otherwise - here's hoping it does consistent numbers in the years to come.
thechinmay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:51   #89
BHPian

While we wait for our own Team-BHP take on 1.0 AT, here's a word on it in ACI. It's quite detailed. The opinion is also quite different from what it is on the only other review on Overdrive.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-421182
Old 26th June 2021, 19:21   #90
BHPian

I have a dumb question.

Below pic is from our official review and I can't help but notice that the air flow direction control is sealed or absent.

Is it really sealed or my evening snack is making me to hallucinate?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-2021skodakushaq12.jpg  

Karthik.thm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks