Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 10:32   #136
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The spread in price would be about 1.25 - 1.5 lakhs between variants starting at 10.5 lakhs. I do hope they pull a surprise and price the 1.0 TSI Trendlne at 9.99 lakhs and also launch a surprise 1.0 TSI AT Trendline at about 12 lakhs! That would be a coup and finally bring a good AT SUV with all the basics covered at around 14 lakhs on road to the market. I bet there would be a lot of prospective buyers for such a car.
If, 1.0 TSI AT Trendline at 12, count me in!

On a serious note, If VW wants to capture 5% of India market share by 2025 as per their plan, I think this is indeed the right first step - Place VFM variants of Taigun in the price range of 11-13.

2023 launch for a VW Group Compact Suv is just too late in my opinion.

Folks looking at the Nexon/Hyundai Twins/Brezza could stretch their budgets and go for this.
vishegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 17:21   #137
BHPian

I am so glad VW has done away with the Cruise Control buttons on the wiper stalk and moved them to the steering. It was such a pain to use it on the Revv rental Vento I had for 3 days.
Old 12th August 2021, 18:23   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Infact, I may have put my money where my mouth is -
Thanks for the informative review and congratulations on the booking! This looks better than Kushaq IMO from whatever I have read. I have two hypothetical questions for you

1. Would you still prefer Taigun if Kushaq DSG had 6 airbags?

2. If you could wait(6-9 months) would you prefer the upcoming VAG sedans with the same engine gearbox combo? I suspect the dynamics and interiors could be better at the expense of ground clearance.

It would be interesting to know your thoughts. Thanks
NT56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 22:05   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
1. Would you still prefer Taigun if Kushaq DSG had 6 airbags?

2. If you could wait(6-9 months) would you prefer the upcoming VAG sedans with the same engine gearbox combo? I suspect the dynamics and interiors could be better at the expense of ground clearance.

It would be interesting to know your thoughts. Thanks
1. No. If both of them had equal features, I would prefer the Taigun. If Kushaq has 6 airbags and Taigun two for the variant I consider (suppose I change from DSG to MT) or if it ends up offering much more value than the VW, then yes - Kushaq.

2. No. The additional length of a sedan is a big inconvenience for me - parking at hometown parking, parking in our Bangalore apartment, etc - not to mention the inconvenience of a low GC. I don't need the additional boot space, nor will I go corner carving in a car. I have the bike for solo fun and corners, so the car is more for good, fast mile munching.

Even the Rapid is longer than the likes of Jeep Compass and the new one will only be longer still.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th August 2021 at 22:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 22:30   #140
BHPian

Quote:
2. No. The additional length of a sedan is a big inconvenience for me - parking at hometown parking, parking in our Bangalore apartment, etc - not to mention the inconvenience of a low GC. I don't need the additional boot space, nor will I go corner carving in a car. I have the bike for solo fun and corners, so the car is more for good, fast mile munching.

Even the Rapid is longer than the likes of Jeep Compass and the new one will only be longer still.
You have summed up my requirements from a new car, Automatic SUV slightly smaller that Creta/Seltos.
Taigun looks like a good choice, waiting for the confirmation of 6 airbags on 1.0 TSI AT.

I have the similar constrains of space in my Apartment complex in Bangalore and approach road back in Kerala.
drivingmelody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 23:16   #141

Thank you BHPians for detailed review. I read about the sound system, so is it like we can’t feel much Bass? is it satisfactory with medium volume levels? I m planning an upgrade from my celerio AMT to the Taigun DSG. In fact, Booked it already I m sorted with rest all features with this car and expecting a good price point. Of course, not happy without ventilated seats but can live with it as we do get 6 airbags which isn’t the case with the Skoda Kushaq. Thanks !
Old 13th August 2021, 08:47   #142
BHPian

Quote:
1. No. If both of them had equal features, I would prefer the Taigun. If Kushaq has 6 airbags and Taigun two for the variant I consider (suppose I change from DSG to MT) or if it ends up offering much more value than the VW, then yes - Kushaq.
On which parameters does Taigun outscore Kushaq in your observation? (Especially how do they compare in terms of driving dynamics and ride quality).

Thanks.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:32   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Then, there are some of them who are also likely to skip the Taigun top-end variant for its bigger brother built and shipped from the Europe - the T-Roc, for a slightly higher price tag. For approx. INR 4 lakhs more than the Taigun or the Kushaq, here’s what you’ll get on the T-Roc:
  1. 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating
  2. Added safety features like HSA (Hill Start Assist), TPMS, auto hold, lane assist, emergency braking etc.
  3. A more mature European design, almost Audi’esque
  4. Rear fog lamp
  5. Electronic parking brake
  6. Rear disc brakes
  7. Pretensioners for the front seat belts
  8. Virtual cockpit cluster with active info display
  9. Under-body protection for the powertrain
  10. Vienna leather seats (with heating which unfortunately no one would use in India)
  11. The better sounding Composition media infotainment system
  12. Dynamic headlamp range adjustment
  13. ORVMs with puddle lamps, heated mirrors and convex mirror for the driver side unit
  14. Front parking sensors with the park pilot button
  15. Panoramic sunroof with powered sunroof cover
  16. Dual-zone climate control
  17. Insulation/cladding on the bonnet
  18. Drawers under the front seats
  19. Lumbar adjustment for driver seat
  20. Ski hatch for the rear seat
  21. Illuminated sun visors for both sides
  22. Door open warning lights on all four door cards
  23. Flip-type reverse camera integrated into the monogram similar to the Passat with better image quality
  24. Frame-less, aerodynamic wipers for the front and rear wipers
  25. Height adjustable luggage compartment floor with a better quality floor
  26. Bundled 12V tire inflator
  27. Glovebox with light and damped opening for the lid
  28. Passenger airbag deactivation switch
  29. The feel-good factor of an imported car
  30. The best of all - no annoying beeps from the cluster for the 80/120 kmph speed limits!

What will you miss out on the T-Roc compared to the top-end Taigun 1.5 TSI DSG?
  1. The newer VW steering with perforated leather on the sides
  2. The newer VW DSG gearshifter with the subtle white backlighting
  3. 10" infotainment system with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
  4. Brushed stainless steel pedal caps with rubber inserts
  5. Wireless Qi charging pad (not a dealbreaker as some would not want to use inductive charging for their devices)
  6. Cruise control
  7. Ambient lighting on the dash and door cards
  8. 61 mm longer wheelbase

If I had the budget for the Taigun 1.5 TSI DSG, I would really put the T-Roc in contention!
Great compilation of all the features of T Roc
I would like to make a few corrections/addition.
  1. 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating ( 2021 T Roc is no more a 5 star rated car as Lane Assist & Front Assist are omitted )
  2. Added safety features like HSA (Hill Start Assist), TPMS, auto hold, lane assist, emergency braking etc. ( 2021 Model does not have Lane Assist & emergency braking is available only below ~10kmph i.e while parking)
  3. Vienna leather seats (with heating which unfortunately no one would use in India) ( This feature is very handy during winters in northern India.)
  4. Drawers under the front seats ( only under Driver seat)
  5. Lumbar adjustment for driver seat ( It is for both front seats)
  6. Height adjustable luggage compartment floor with a better quality floor( applicable to only 2021 model)
  7. Driver Alert System is also available in the 2021 model.
sagwal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:42   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
I am so glad VW has done away with the Cruise Control buttons on the wiper stalk and moved them to the steering. It was such a pain to use it on the Revv rental Vento I had for 3 days.
This totally depends on the cars you have used in the past. Getting used to controls in a rental might take time, but if your own car had the same controls you will feel right at home. I think removing all those things including one touch for all windows and as someone suggested to even swap the indicator controls will make the cars very non VW like. What will be even more weird is the same car having different controls in India and different controls if you rent one outside.

I think many old VW-Skoda users feel right at home in all VW group cars, including even the Audis because of the similar controls for cruise control and indicators. I am even used to rolling down on all my windows on hot days before entering the car with the remote control, which we can not do in Taigun now I think with one touch gone for windows. All these somehow make the car less of a VW for old customers.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:23   #145
Team-BHP Support

Some pics from our official drive:

The new automatic gear lever which gets white backlighting:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-424542be62844c2ab4fff5a209f69d74.jpeg

Tail lamps during dusk:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-bcd0f0f1cf624fd292fa8f8fb43fcc2f.jpeg

Door handle cups get white backlighting:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-529267dab4b944fdba47f99b34827066.jpeg

2 OBD slots - 1 for the connected car module so the other is available for you to plug in any monitoring/diagnosing device:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-a579134a6bf64d82b7ca4be806011c66.jpeg

Even the ECU is manufactured locally:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-cddcc0b13c364422a870e0f18759d6ed.jpeg

Headlights look swell:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-39ffdbd40c23410d9ae036d864b6bc71.jpeg
Gannu_1 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:29   #146
BHPian

The Marketing strategy of VW Taigun is baffling.

Aug 1st week: Dynamic Drive
Aug 1st week: Pre Book for the Squad
Aug 3rd week: Regular Pre Bookings
Sep 3rd Week: Price Announcements
Sep 3rd Week: Deliveries start

I would expect anyone to announce prices on the day of the booking to manage demand across locations and not on the day of delivery. VW will most likely surprise for worse with prices (My guess is top end GT will be 17.7-18 lakhs ex-showroom) and hence there will be large number of cancellation.

How does this price announcement on the day of deliveries work? Marketing team has built a nightmare for the supply chain team.

Why would you create hype 2 months in advance of the deliveries, only to see fizz out on the day of the Delivery/ price announcements?

We will only know the answer only in few weeks, just as we now know 6 airbag miss in Kushaq 1.5 DSG was deliberate and not foolish, in order to create space for VW GT DSG.
vinitbarve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 14:43   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

ARAI Fuel efficiency figures for the Kushaq 1.5 TSI announced today. What is surprising is that the 1.5 TSI is more efficient than the 1.0 TSI in both manual and auto variants! Shows that the 1.5 TSI, when driven sedately, can deliver some fantastic fuel efficiency due to the ACT technology. We can expect very similar figures for the Taigun as well. Below are the figures for the various engine/transmission combinations of the Kushaq.
  • 1.0 TSI MT - 17.88 KPL
  • 1.0 TSI AT - 15.78 KPL
  • 1.5 TSi MT - 17.95 KPL
  • 1.5 TSI AT - 17.71 KPL
84.monsoon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 15:04   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Taigun and Kushaq side by side.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSgjU-tA...dium=copy_link
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-f8237aeea7da423f8e29baa7ec2a686c.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-4c9af8f3758a4d4c87104485e6eae571.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-5f807c33400a41f3987348e8246083c3.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-b7a4234653a64749bebf0a0ffe8617fa.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1f6fc17cc6704a49b8fae152c31fb204.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:47   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
ARAI Fuel efficiency figures for the Kushaq 1.5 TSI announced today.
  • 1.5 TSi MT - 17.95 KPL
  • 1.5 TSI AT - 17.71 KPL
17.7 kmpl as Overall mileage is a very optimistic figure.
We can expect 9-12 kmpl in the city and 16-20 kmpl on highways depending upon driving style & traffic.
sagwal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:52   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I was about to just post the same link here, thank you for sharing.

Is it just me or Kushaq look better than Taigun, especially the rear of Kushaq is more appealing to me. I feel it is because of the clean design, may be! The tail lamp design of Taigun will have polarising opinion, I am waiting for my dad to see Taigun in person and hear his comment.

Somehow I am still inspired by the Team - BHP review of swift second generation, where it was mentioned that swift’s design language is such that it will be admired from uncles to collage going kid.
EmpyreanKnight is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed