Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 17:12   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Kushaq looks better for me with clean lines and more matured design and less use of chrome. Tail lamps of Taigun is something that I still cannot make peace with.

Last edited by sunikkat : 13th August 2021 at 17:13.
sunikkat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 22:45   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Kushaq looks better for me with clean lines and more matured design and less use of chrome. Tail lamps of Taigun is something that I still cannot make peace with.
The Taigun tail light design is an odd ball, very unlike typical German design. It sticks out like an appendage, does not gel with the rest of the body. Even the Kushaq taillights share same design with the Taigun, except it does not continue right through the back. The Taigun front, on the other hand, is very German: smart and understated.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 23:39   #153
BHPian

Great review as always. If I may suggest, we should also start adding the performance of headlights, as this topic has come up quite frequently with the new reflector-type headlights gaining more prominence. Reading the review followed by the opinions of other forum members is a joy in itself.

Coming to the car, I am a bit surprised with all the reviewers extolling the driving dynamics of Taigun, which wasn't the case to the same degree when Kushaq was launched. Is the Taigun really that better than Kushaq in driving dynamics? Or is it down to the fact that Skoda provided both engines for reviews and the focus got split?

I am actually a bit baffled by the lack of attention to detail and thought shown by VAG group - seems like they are launching a car for the first time in India.

They need to understand the most of the car buyers in developing countries, including India, towards which Taigun and Kushaq are targetted are first-time car buyers - in most cases, it is the first car in the family. And therefore it is an occasion, occasion to feel good about your possession or buy. So even if the buyer is a driving enthusiast, the person can't ignore the things which will matter to other family members.

However, it seems the feel-good factor in the case of both of these is limited to only driving. There are so many items that could have elevated a buyer's experience without any drastic impact on prices.
  • A case in point being the KeyFob. You hold the keyfob of a Seltos for a test drive and you feel good about it, even feel like flaunting it. Compare that to the feeling of holding Taigun's keyfob.
  • The quality of wipers they have used, they look outright ugly. What additional costs would it have resulted in?
  • The non-functional switches on the dashboard even on the top variant. They are an eyesore, more so when you have paid top bucks to get the top variant.
  • Reverse parking camera without dynamic guidelines. The system development costs have already been incurred, what are the additional costs of integrating it in a vehicle?
  • The decision to remove the subwoofer from the top end. What would have been the additional cost of including it?
  • The decision to remove one touch all window down - which was already present in their existing offerings.
  • Few of our forum members will not agree, but I will also add a well-fitted roof lining to the list

It would have been great if VAG had made the driving dynamics a differentiator, the same feel-good factors with driving dynamics as icing on the cake. Sadly, they have made it an either/or situation. For them to achieve their goal of acquiring 5% of the Indian market, they need to appeal to a much larger segment of people. In current form, probably they will end up being the polo of cross-overs - appealing to a specific set of users.

Fortunately, they have the perception of being safer/well-built cars going for them which will get them the safety-conscious buyers as well.

For me, the launch of Seltos is the benchmark of launches. Everything was perfect, I remember many reviewers complimenting the drive quality before Kushaq and Taigun. That is till the safety rating came out.

I am myself in the market for my first car and have booked a Seltos because of the long waiting period. I will most likely go with either Kushaq or Taigun, but I won't be super thrilled with the decision.
CarBorne is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 07:57   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post
Great review as always. If I may suggest, we should also start adding the performance of headlights, as this topic has come up quite frequently with the new reflector-type headlights gaining more prominence.
Media drive started in the morning at 7am, and I had to return the car by around 4pm - which meant there was no way we could access the performance of the lights.

We got to see the lights in action at the hotel parking lot (Pics here) when the cars were being prepped the previous day, but even then - two huge flood lights placed at the parking ground meant we could neither access nor capture the result properly.

We will have to wait for the ownership reports for this.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 08:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so someone at VW is reading TBHP comments. All the grammatical errors are corrected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The website is classy. But, Copy/text had a lot of grammatical errors, unbecoming of the brand
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-screen-shot-20210814-8.17.43-am.png  

Sebring is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 09:05   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

This might just be the angle of the shot, but I get an impression from this photo that the rear of the Kushaq is more steeply vertical than the Taigun. So the Taigun seems to have a slightly more sloping rear profile compared to the Kushaq which seems more vertical. This is also substantiated by what looks like a wider area behind the C pillar in the Kushaq. If it is actually true, Kushaq will end up having slightly more interior space.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-f8237aeea7da423f8e29baa7ec2a686c.jpeg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th August 2021 at 09:07.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 10:01   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This might just be the angle of the shot, but I get an impression from this photo that the rear of the Kushaq is more steeply vertical than the Taigun. So the Taigun seems to have a slightly more sloping rear profile compared to the Kushaq which seems more vertical. This is also substantiated by what looks like a wider area behind the C pillar in the Kushaq. If it is actually true, Kushaq will end up having slightly more interior space.
Both share the same shell including side and boot panels. That perceived difference is probably because of the fish-eye effect of the camera lens and slightly different bumper designs. Taigun bumpers protrude a bit more than the Kushaq.
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:26   #158
BHPian

From the side comparison, it is clear how similar these two cars are. The crease lines running across the length look identical. Heck, the front and rear door panels look identical to me from this shot. The front and rear fenders too are almost similar except where they meet the bonnet/tailgate.

This is a great example of platform sharing done right. Both cars have a totally unique identity and will increase the total audience-base rather than 2 low-effort badge-engineered products *cough* Toyota *cough*

Quote:
Taigun and Kushaq side by side.
Volkswagen Taigun Review-f8237aeea7da423f8e29baa7ec2a686c.jpeg
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:41   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Taigun and Kushaq side by side.
Kushaq just looks cleaner and would be my pick. The Taigun rear is a turn off. The colors may also be playing a part here, but the Kushaq looks a bit more "mature" and classy alongside the young Taigun.
a_chelat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 16:51   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Family look ?

Dimensions/ T-Roc (Taigun):[in mm]
Length: 4234 (4221)
Wheelbase: 2590 (2651)
Width: 1819 (1760)
Height: 1573 (1612)

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-3.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th August 2021 at 16:58.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 17:06   #161
BHPian

Apologies if this question has been answered already as I have not been able to go through all the pages. So what is the basic difference between Taigun and Kushaq. Is there a clear and crisp differentiator like size or engine and all which I am not realizing or is it just VW's attempt to have 2 vehicles in the CSUV stable to showcase on their website. The reason I ask is that we are in the market (Specifically my Dad) and he liked the looks of Kushaq and is yet to take TD. I just realized that even Taigun is about to launch so thought of waiting. This difference will help me make an informed decision.
Old 14th August 2021, 17:30   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Apologies if this question has been answered already as I have not been able to go through all the pages. So what is the basic difference between Taigun and Kushaq. Is there a clear and crisp differentiator like size or engine and all which I am not realizing or is it just VW's attempt to have 2 vehicles in the CSUV stable to showcase on their website.
The marketing guy may say one is sportier, stiffer, peppier but that’s just eyewash. Same vehicle different badges. Choose based on looks and dealership presence in your city.
hydraulicsteer is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 20:13   #163
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen will be conducting exclusive previews for registered customers across 7 cities - Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai.

The dates are as below -
  • Bangalore - 21st & 22nd August
  • Chennai - 28th & 29th August
  • Mumbai - 11th & 12th September
  • Hyderabad - 11th & 12th September
  • Chandigarh - 18th & 19th September
  • Kolkata - 18th & 19th September
  • Ahmedabad - 18th & 19th September

Interested customers can register on the website - https://www.volkswagen.co.in/app/sit...usive-preview/

Volkswagen Taigun Review-cityshowmasthead1920x1080.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 21:03   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBorne View Post

I am actually a bit baffled by the lack of attention to detail and thought shown by VAG group - seems like they are launching a car for the first time in India.

They need to understand the most of the car buyers in developing countries, including India, towards which Taigun and Kushaq are targetted are first-time car buyers - in most cases, it is the first car in the family. And therefore it is an occasion, occasion to feel good about your possession or buy. So even if the buyer is a driving enthusiast, the person can't ignore the things which will matter to other family members.

However, it seems the feel-good factor in the case of both of these is limited to only driving. There are so many items that could have elevated a buyer's experience without any drastic impact on prices.
  • A case in point being the KeyFob. You hold the keyfob of a Seltos for a test drive and you feel good about it, even feel like flaunting it. Compare that to the feeling of holding Taigun's keyfob.
  • The quality of wipers they have used, they look outright ugly. What additional costs would it have resulted in?
  • The non-functional switches on the dashboard even on the top variant. They are an eyesore, more so when you have paid top bucks to get the top variant.
  • Reverse parking camera without dynamic guidelines. The system development costs have already been incurred, what are the additional costs of integrating it in a vehicle?
  • The decision to remove the subwoofer from the top end. What would have been the additional cost of including it?
  • The decision to remove one touch all window down - which was already present in their existing offerings.
  • Few of our forum members will not agree, but I will also add a well-fitted roof lining to the list

I am myself in the market for my first car and have booked a Seltos because of the long waiting period. I will most likely go with either Kushaq or Taigun, but I won't be super thrilled with the decision.
I agree to most. In fact what really got my goat was the Digital Instrument Cluster on the top model.

After the initial excitement and thrill to know they'd offer it on the Taigun - it was a rude rude shock to know it was not a full sized one and just a smaller 8" unit? (volkswagen marketing shrewdly used cm's to express the size as 20.32cm - an attempt to imprint a "large" size in a potential buyers mind). I literally find that the most off putting reason to pay the maximum money for a top of the line trim which will remind me of the corners cut - everytime i look at the speedo?? The 2 dummy displays or whatever they are on either side are downright tacky! Is that really something a carmaker would do with a top of the range trim? What were they thinking? Was it really such a costly element to add a full size display that they had to adopt this approach? A buyer who buys the top range is anyway more likely to pay the "Extra" for the good to have bits - so why do this?

Having said that, I still think that if the expected safety ratings and overall build quality of the VAG cars are to be found in the Tagiun (and the Kushaq) then yes, despite their oddball choices in doing these things, they'd still be a compelling buy over the korean twins.
Vandit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 11:38   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
I agree to most. In fact what really got my goat was the Digital Instrument Cluster on the top model.

After the initial excitement and thrill to know they'd offer it on the Taigun - it was a rude rude shock to know it was not a full sized one and just a smaller 8" unit? (volkswagen marketing shrewdly used cm's to express the size as 20.32cm - an attempt to imprint a "large" size in a potential buyers mind).
Exactly. Everyone expected it to be like T-roc. Meanwhile, XUV700 is giving a massive digital cockpit at 14L.
anto1212 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks