Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2023, 09:52   #1696
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Or is this by design? Any thoughts?
AFAIK, this is by design and law all cars have to follow. This is to minimize the blinding of the vehicle coming from opposite side.

I read your previous post and have the same minor issues in my Kushaq open. No fix available yet for driver side window, AC weakness and the tape fix has reduced the door squeaking but not eliminated. I will be going to first year service and will let know whether Skoda did anything there.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th January 2023 at 19:28. Reason: Quote trimmed.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 14:05   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
But just curious, any specific reason as to why you wanted to upgrade the tyres?
Thank a for the reply.

More of like a personal preference for me. I like the tyres to be bigger as much as possible such that it does not alter the original driving dynamics.

So I believe upgrading from 205/55/R17 to 225/55/R17 should not be a problem.

Still looking for feedback from a Taigun owner who up sized their tyres
OceanWaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 15:03   #1698
BHPian

For the GT Plus variant with stock tyre size of 205/55/R17, seems like a good tyre upgrade would be 225/50/R17.

Checking the differences between these 2 tyre profiles using the tyre size calculator tool, this upgrade fits perfectly technically. The tyre height, wheel size, and sidewall height are all the same. The tyre width has been changed from 205mm to 225mm, tyre circumference from 2065mm to 2063mm, revolutions per minute from 779.4 to 780, and revolutions per kilometer from 484.3 to 484.6. No change in speedometer difference for 20, 40 and 60 km/h and very minimal change for the following speeds : 80 - 79.9, 100 - 99.9, and 120 - 119.9

So looks like this tyre upgrade should work perfectly fine for the Taigun. Looking forward for feedback from fellow Team BHPians

Thanks and Regards
Old 7th January 2023, 21:42   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanWaves View Post
Thank a for the reply.

More of like a personal preference for me. I like the tyres to be bigger as much as possible such that it does not alter the original driving dynamics.

So I believe upgrading from 205/55/R17 to 225/55/R17 should not be a problem.

Still looking for feedback from a Taigun owner who up sized their tyres
Typo error there. I meant 215/55/R17 and not 225/55/R17
Old 7th January 2023, 21:44   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
For the GT Plus variant with stock tyre size of 205/55/R17, seems like a good tyre upgrade would be 225/50/R17.
After more research found out that the wheel size rim of both Taigun and Kushaq is 6.5J and according to the recommended charts the maximum tyre width is 215. So looks like increasing the width of through tyre from the stock 205 to 215 should not be a problem on the Taigun.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th January 2023 at 19:29. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant sections of posts only. Thanks!
Old 7th January 2023, 22:36   #1701
BHPian

So, I got a Taigun 1.0 MT Highline in November last year. It is a September 22 manufactured unit, so it misses out on auto climate control and auto wipers.

I'm facing a couple of issues in the car. I took it for the 1 month check up last week and reported the same to them:

1. Whenever I press the clutch, I feel the car jerk forward. This happens mostly while shifting between first, second and third gear. According to the service center, this is "Normal."

2. The driver window going halfway up and then going down while the button is pulled up. Nothing was done about this.

3. Squeaking noise from brakes at low speeds. They suggested cleaning of the brakes for this.

4. A faint rattling sound coming from the glovebox. It becomes more pronounce if there are contents inside. Forgot to report this one to them.

Another issue I'm facing (might not be an actual one) is that the doors don't seem to shut unless you slam them with some force. I haven't had to slam them so hard in the Polo or Jetta.

Has anyone else faced similar issues in their Taigun/ Kushaq?
Old 8th January 2023, 19:16   #1702
BHPian

Still looking out for replies from Taigun owners or experts regarding the perfect tyre upgrade size for the stock 205/55/R17 on the Taigun.

My only preference is to increase the width of the tyre as much as possible. Not keen on increasing the Alloy size from 17.
Old 8th January 2023, 21:44   #1703
BHPian

After further research and looking at real owners feedback, looks like the best tyre size upgrade from the stock 205/55/R17 of the GT Plus variant is 225/50/R17. Having a check on the tyre size calculator also confirms the same.
Old 8th January 2023, 22:06   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Still looking out for replies from Taigun owners or experts regarding the perfect tyre upgrade size for the stock 205/55/R17 on the Taigun.

My only preference is to increase the width of the tyre as much as possible. Not keen on increasing the Alloy size from 17.
A near perfect upgrade would be to 225/50/R17.

I know an owner who has upgraded to this size and reports improvement in stability, breaking and cornering.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 22:12   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post

I know an owner who has upgraded to this size and reports improvement in stability, breaking and cornering.
Hi thanks for the reply. What you've mentioned is right. Most of them have used the Michelin PS4 for the upgrade to 225/50/R17. Any other recommended tyres which are very good ?
Old 8th January 2023, 22:26   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Hi thanks for the reply. What you've mentioned is right. Most of them have used the Michelin PS4 for the upgrade to 225/50/R17. Any other recommended tyres which are very good ?
You're most welcome. The upsize comes with plenty of options, including Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Goodyear etc.

Yes, the Primacy PS4 is a popular choice and the Goodyear Assurance is a decent budget option too.
Old 9th January 2023, 12:39   #1707
BHPian

It's Insane how the car buying experience has changed in the last few years. Total Sellers Market and dealers calling all the shots. I've been trying to get a test drive of the 1.5 GT Manual for the past few weeks. Finally got the dealer to commit. One day before the scheduled test drive, this is the message I get from the SC. Sharing Verbatim.
I have scheduled your Taigun GT MT Test Drive for tomorrow 3pm, but would like to give you an update that GT MT is discontinued from VW, therefore if you want to purchase we won't be able to give you 2023 Model, we can give you 2022 white colour, please confirm upon your Test Drive for tomorrow, regards.

Rascals is all I can say. Making the test drive conditional! I Called VW India to find out if this is true. Lo and behold, no such news. Anyway I've now got the test drive for Thursday. Let's see how it goes.
ab500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 21:00   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post

Hi pannags,

I thought this tyre width was a typo (225 instead of 215), but guess I was mistaken! I did check the upsize calculators and it's zero variance in height as well as circumference. This would mean the variance in speed/odo would be non-issues as well. An extremely small reduction (0.01mm or -0.23%) in sidewall height, which won't be a problem too.

I would assume it gets a much stronger stance visibly. Would you happen to have any photos of that car? And given the previous concerns on max tyre size allowed by design, is there a way to know if there are no issues when steering is turned to either side to the extremes too?

I read elsewhere on our forums that any such change would impact warranty for those assemblies. So I wonder if that risk is worth it.

Sorry for all the questions, but just curious how this worked out.
Old 9th January 2023, 21:46   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions, but just curious how this worked out.
I too have the same question. Another issue is the stock size 205/55/R17 is not available on the Michelin brand if we choose to upgrade for better tyres with exact same dimensions. Hard to guess what VW were thinking. They could have at least made the stock tyre size as 215/55/R17.

There still is no proper clarity whether its safe to upgrade the stock tyres from 205/55/R17 to 215/55/R17 or 225/50/R17(this size is technically best up size for the stock 205/55/R17 tyre profile).

Yesterday when I asked the sales executive at the dealership he said there won't be any issue with the warrant but shock absorbers or suspension might get stressed or get affected in the long run. Ive asked him to contact the VW technical team regarding this and he said he will get back to me.

I've also dropped an email to VW customer support team and awaiting their reply.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th January 2023 at 19:29. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please do not quote large posts entirely. Thanks!
Old 11th January 2023, 17:41   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Would you happen to have any photos of that car? And given the previous concerns on max tyre size allowed by design, is there a way to know if there are no issues when steering is turned to either side to the extremes too?
Sorry for the delayed response, was away on business travels. I understood that there is no adverse impact owing to the sufficiently wide steering well. I do have a photo of the car and will post it soon after I receive consent of the owner.

Quote:
There still is no proper clarity whether its safe to upgrade the stock tyres from 205/55/R17 to 215/55/R17 or 225/50/R17(this size is technically best up size for the stock 205/55/R17 tyre profile)
Please keep us posted on what the folks at VW say. BTW, the increase in width is 2 cm, which is < 1% of the overall width.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks