Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 13:52   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Received a couple of PMs from members who had pre-booked the Taigun, asking if I would be continuing with my booking after the recent unveils on the XUV 7OO and Astor. Thought I'll post the reply here as well -

XUV 7OO is too large for me (though how I wish it were not!) - but I do believe both these vehicles will redefine expectations from that segment - of a well built product that can still match the Koreans on quality, spec and features.

With no diesels/diesel automatics, not as much road presence as the competition, no space for a 5th passenger, high pricing yet less features and average quality, etc - I anyways expected both the VAG cars to be slow sellers - so no major surprises there. I think it will be like a Polo/Rapid/Vento all over again - selling to niche audiences over the next 10 years with slow and steady updates to the feature list to keep it going.

Three major deal breakers for me would be -

1. If wife hates it when the vehicles arrive in showrooms. (The cabin experience doesn't make you feel wow for the price, its just about 'ok' and will be the biggest issue from a family perspective).
2. If the Astor delivers on a driving experience anywhere close to the 1.5 DSG.
3. If VW doesn't learn their lesson and asks for a much higher premium than even the Kushaq. Compass Sport MT is also not too far away, and I can live with less features for a much better quality experience.
4. If the Taigun still comes on top as a product, but gets the price wrong - may also make sense to wait for the discounts.

Anyways, the next few weeks will be interesting.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2021 at 13:57.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 21:48   #227
BHPian

The Sales Manager of the dealership I have pre-booked the Taigun has been sending me daily reminders to the preview

I asked him what exactly the deal is with this fancy show, and he said that this is for customers to experience the car, while VW reveals the variants and provide customers with an opportunity to pre-book it

Volkswagen Taigun Review-taiga.jpeg

Last edited by pannags : 19th August 2021 at 21:50.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 22:08   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
The Sales Manager of the dealership I have pre-booked the Taigun has been sending me daily reminders to the preview
And I also wonder why this could not be done simultaneously across all cities. Are they holding it city by city basis cities from where most interest has been received (Bangalore). In that case Bombay is the last road show all the way on 11-Sep.

Everything done by this launch seems warped in some way or the other. All that remains to be added to make it a complete warp cycle is the dinero announcement.
Old 19th August 2021, 22:15   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
In that case Bombay is the last road show all the way on 11-Sep.
The last events are Kolkata and Ahmedabad, on the 18th & 19th of September.

I guess the actual launch will happen only on the 4th week of September.
Old 19th August 2021, 22:28   #230
REN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I guess the actual launch will happen only on the 4th week of September.
I had went to pre-book the Taigun today and my local dealer was pretty confident that the launch is on the 22nd of September.
REN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 15:42   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by REN View Post
I had went to pre-book the Taigun today and my local dealer was pretty confident that the launch is on the 22nd of September.
Did the dealer give any indicative pricing at all?
Old 20th August 2021, 17:23   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

The Leader and the 'wannabe'!

VW seem to have lost the plot already. Pricing would probably nail it further.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-5.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-3.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th August 2021 at 19:27. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:48   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Will reserve my judgment until I see it in the flesh, but the Taigun looks a lot smaller than the Creta. It looks WAY better, though. I still can’t digest how ugly the Creta looks, especially when the Seltos, Kushaq and Taigun are way more appealing.

OT:
Both the cars are glorified hatchbacks on stilts, masquerading as SUVs. So I don’t understand how one is more of a ‘wannabe’ than the other
Aaron:) is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:59   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1986 View Post
Did the dealer give any indicative pricing at all?
I spoke to one of the sales rep over at Volkswagen Bangalore, JP Nagar branch and he was quite confident that the 1.0 TSI AT would be priced aggressively and indicated 13-14L ex.

Surprised that it could undercut the Kushaq 1.0 TSI AT. Maybe this is what they mean by Premium but not in pricing
vishegde is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 19:20   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Will reserve my judgment until I see it in the flesh, but the Taigun looks a lot smaller than the Creta. It looks WAY better, though. I still can’t digest how ugly the Creta looks, especially when the Seltos, Kushaq and Taigun are way more appealing.
+1 it looks smaller but better. However, considering the new Creta itself doesn't look a lot SUVish (IMO even Ecosport looks SUVish), the Taigun is looking like a premium hatchback standing beside the Creta. I am not really sure if the masses will like this styling, which gives very hatchback vibes. This imo, could be the penultimate nail in the coffin (Final would definitely be the pricing)
Old 20th August 2021, 20:00   #236
BHPian

Quote:
While Taigun is surely smaller than Creta, each of these pictures accentuates it further because of wide-angle lens and the way the cars are positioned. Even the picture from front is taken slightly from Creta's side, making it look even bigger than it is.
mandarpotdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 20:02   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by REN View Post
Well I am interested in 1.5 TSI DSG and if the on road price crosses 18L (which it will for sure), its a passer for me. Doesn't make sense to spend so much money on this vehicle with trimmed features for now..
Old 20th August 2021, 20:04   #238
BHPian

Quote:

Link
Size and road presence is not always a strength, especially for someone like me who has to struggle for parking in Mumbai and want a nimble car which can navigate drive between Auto Rickshaws at the same time accomodate weekend drive luggage. Creta and Seltos are oversized for us. We are a small family, seldom do we have 5th passanger. So this looks perfect.

I will be buying this car to own the 1.5TSI drive, and feeling of safety inside the car while zipping on highways.

Lets hope pricing is sub 18 for the top-end, else I will start saving bucks to buy TROC next year
vinitbarve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 22:42   #239
BHPian

Quote:

VW seem to have lost the plot already. Pricing would probably nail it further.
Is it just me or my eyes. I feel that pics are taken to enhance the difference. Apart from the 3rd pic, where Taigun is in the front, Creta is kept in the focus with Taigun in the background and it is bound to look even smaller (It is smaller that we all know). In the last pic, why are they not at the same distance to the camera (it is even more evident to make creta look even bigger). As quoted earlier, it is best to see it in flesh with walk-around and yes, there is a car for everyone and one may not need the bigger bulkier car.

I am not buying Taigun either right now, but just being mindful that bigger is not always better (and there is different need of different people).
xrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 23:50   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post

OT:
Both the cars are glorified hatchbacks on stilts, masquerading as SUVs. So I don’t understand how one is more of a ‘wannabe’ than the other
I saw a kushaq in dark paint shade this Wednesday in the parking lot of cybercity, amid the sea of many car models. It is just a good looking large hatchback!! It cannot be termed as SUV. However advantage of tight footprint and slim body is easy to drive through narrow and busy roads.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks