Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:58   #256
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Went to the event in Bangalore on Saturday. I was more interested in seeing the grey shade. More interested in it because I was under the impression that grey, red and silver will come with body colored interior paint on dash. The 360 degree view in website interestingly shows all 3 have red in dashboard. Grey is my preferred color if I am going for Taigun, but if it comes with red interior, I will have to drop the idea. No one at the event had any idea on this too.

The red one on display had non body matched interiors, so I guess the body colored interior is exclusive to GT variant.

They should at least had one variant on display which has body colored interior at the event as this is something unique they have vs Kushaq.

I just hope one of the future events will have this on display so that I don’t have to wait until the end of September to know this detail.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th August 2021 at 05:46. Reason: typos
SBM3J is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:50   #257
BHPian

Went to the launch event at Taj West End in Bangalore yesterday which was well organized. Overall, the build quality of the car is very good compared to the other cars in the segment but the doors for example don't have the same heft as compared to the Polo or Vento. They don't shut with the same thud you're probably used to if you drive a Polo/Vento. The plastic quality feels cheap in certain places. Also, not a big fan of touch controls for AC versus having physical buttons . The ICE is a finger-print magnet. The White car on display was my favorite out of the three shades that were out there though there's a plenty of undesirable chrome everywhere. Also the Red car which seemed like a mid-spec MT variant (was locked) did not have the body color interiors and had different fabric on the seats. So, the red interiors may be specific to the GT variant in Red color though none of the folks from VW dealerships present there could clarify. I really hope VW takes some wise decisions with the pricing and variants.
Gurudatt28227 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:05   #258

Just wondering when will VW start releasing the review models of Taigun 1.0 TSI variants, both AT & MT to reviewers, so that we can know how the engine is tuned and also the feature list in 1.0 TSI.
rkaria1970 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:07   #259
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the initial quality issues and breakdown's with the Kushaq, I hope VW handle the issues with equal urgency and proactiveness. Zac is on social media accepting the issues and promising fixes ASAP. He did however throw in a bit of defense by saying all new launches have issues which was a little surprising from a marketing head. But will give him the benefit of doubt since he is reaching out, replying and following up.

But this is Skoda and we all know Zac has built this image. What about VW? Something for prospective buyers to contemplate. However, one man in Skoda should not be the reason to choose one car over the other. He won't be around forever.
Vid6639 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:14   #260
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone visiting the Taigun Preview events kindly ask Mr Gupta about his opinion on the NCAP testing of the Taigun if it is possible? (Whether Volkswagen will sponsor a test or wait for Global NCAP to test it, and what they expect) Mr Hollis of Škoda has said that he cannot answer the question diplomatically on a public forum (i.e. Twitter) but hopefully Mr Gupta might be able to drop a hint or two in person. Volkswagen has been very silent in this regard and a little communication from them would help. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
My question to Ashish: Can you confirm if the 1.0 AT TSI will have an option with 6 airbags?

Ashish: Yes, that is confirmed
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_165002.jpg
It looks like an illusion but the sunroof appears panoramic in this photo.

Last edited by ron178 : 23rd August 2021 at 22:15.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:28   #261
BHPian

I need to buy another car in addition to the existing polo and I was quite interested in what Taigun offered. Just not satisfied with the car from what I'm reading about. Yes, driving ability but will I be able to live with the interiors for 5+ years? The digital instrument cluster won't age well. They should have had the one from T-Roc or just had a analog one. Anyway, my tentative plan for purchase is an year that I'm hoping to push to 3 years. So a lot of things can change.

Something that I felt about polo after a recent road trip. It's one car that's as happy at 120 as it is at 80.
Old 24th August 2021, 00:11   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Bought the rear sunblind for the Kushaq recently from Skoda - it's indeed similar to the magnetic ones with slightly better fit and a thicker net. Cost me 2K.
I'm trying to buy those for my Kushaq too but the dealer says they won't be sold separately. Could you please let me know which dealer/ service station you purchased them from?
Old 24th August 2021, 09:02   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Can anyone visiting the Taigun Preview events kindly ask Mr Gupta about his opinion on the NCAP testing of the Taigun if it is possible?

It looks like an illusion but the sunroof appears panoramic in this photo.
I know its not a panoramic sunroof. But is it bigger than normal single pane sunroofs ? Looks so in this pic. But I also doubt it wont be the case as most probably it will be a shared on with the Kushaq
Old 24th August 2021, 09:38   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
I know its not a panoramic sunroof. But is it bigger than normal single pane sunroofs ? Looks so in this pic. But I also doubt it wont be the case as most probably it will be a shared on with the Kushaq
Looks like camera lens distortion at work - it is similar to the unit in the Kushaq and ends near the B pillar.

Glass area doesnt open all the way too -

Volkswagen Taigun Review-dsc06711_1600.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:11   #265
BHPian

This car packs everything to become a success, but i am sure that VW pricing strategy will be disastrous. VW/ Skoda/ Renault carry a baggage in the for the mass market audience.
(service network, cost of ownership, resale value)

They need an attractive offering (instant gratification) to overcome above challenges and draw mass market consumer towards making purchase. Catering to mass market and catering to enthusiasts are very differing games. Renault has understand this, its evident from its recent product/ pricing strategy.

VW offers superior experience & I want them to succeed desperately
Old 24th August 2021, 12:35   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
This car packs everything to become a success, but i am sure that VW pricing strategy will be disastrous. VW/ Skoda/ Renault carry a baggage in the for the mass market audience.
(service network, cost of ownership, resale value)
With all due respect, look at XUV700, then put yourself in the shoes of 99% of the market and then compare.

Same with the Korean Siblings (Venue / Sonet or Creta / Seltos) and the Kushaq / Taigun pairing.

The unfortunate reality is that even without considering pricing, these products are out of contention.

I too want the VAG group to suceed with their MQB IN project, they are pumping in the big bucks, but their boffins seem to lack even the understanding of those at a SAIC / MG or Kia (though thr VAG group has been in the market for 10 years +, while these have been around for 3 years).

There needs to be a compelling value proposition and the Kushaq / Taigun jodi don't offer it.
Stribog is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 13:18   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemaster View Post
I'm trying to buy those for my Kushaq too but the dealer says they won't be sold separately. Could you please let me know which dealer/ service station you purchased them from?
Had to fight for this one tooth and claw - I purchased from Ring Road Skoda Gurgaon. Still trying for the fabric foot mats, currently the 3D mats are available.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 14:09   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
With all due respect, look at XUV700, then put yourself in the shoes of 99% of the market and then compare.

Same with the Korean Siblings (Venue / Sonet or Creta / Seltos) and the Kushaq / Taigun pairing.

The unfortunate reality is that even without considering pricing, these products are out of contention.

I too want the VAG group to suceed with their MQB IN project, they are pumping in the big bucks, but their boffins seem to lack even the understanding of those at a SAIC / MG or Kia (though thr VAG group has been in the market for 10 years +, while these have been around for 3 years).

There needs to be a compelling value proposition and the Kushaq / Taigun jodi don't offer it.
I like my smartphone and I like my car, but I do not like to mix
Korean siblings are loaded with goodies but there is a decently large segment which is looking for driving experience rather than overall package.

Back in 2016-18 I used to stay with my cousin who had 2011 Vento Highline, that car had no bluetooth connectivity, no steering mounted controls, but it felt awesome behind the wheel / on the rear seat.

These are good products with non aggressive strategy / leadership

but you are right, with XUV offering 2L turbo petrol at 11.99L these (Kushaq, Taigun) look exorbitantly overpriced and outdated
Asoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:46   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
I like my smartphone and I like my car, but I do not like to mix
Korean siblings are loaded with goodies but there is a decently large segment which is looking for driving experience rather than overall package.

Back in 2016-18 I used to stay with my cousin who had 2011 Vento Highline, that car had no bluetooth connectivity, no steering mounted controls, but it felt awesome behind the wheel / on the rear seat.

These are good products with non aggressive strategy / leadership

but you are right, with XUV offering 2L turbo petrol at 11.99L these (Kushaq, Taigun) look exorbitantly overpriced and outdated
You do not define the market right Asoon, which is why I said for 99% of the customers.

The numbers are telling and should put to bed this eternal debate on this mysterious large market of "enthusiasts".

Not a single VAG product cracks even the top 20 by volume in India and have not done so in years now. And this is not about just the volumes segments, you have the likes of the Innova moving 6,000 units a month and they don't come cheap.

The Kushaq sold 1,800 units in July, its LAUNCH month. It might hit 2-2.5k briefly before settling down in the 1,000-1,200 units mark monthly. Far short of the monthly 3k Skoda said it would hit.

My point was and is that the product is NOT compelling for 99% of the market and I stand by it.

We can argue in circles all day on how 'driving pleasure' is worth xyz 'goodies', but that is just an esoteric discussion restricted to auto forums. This "large" market looking for driving pleasure seems to be minuscule in reality as the numbers don't dictate any presence of this market.

For the record, I own a Seltos Diesel, been an auto head for 20 years and i assure you, I love my time behind the wheel, it is a sorted drive, esp in highways.
Stribog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:35   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
You do not define the market right Asoon, which is why I said for 99% of the customers.

The numbers are telling and should put to bed this eternal debate on this mysterious large market of "enthusiasts".

My point was and is that the product is NOT compelling for 99% of the market and I stand by it.
Agreed, your argument is completely rational, and even I would recommend Venue / Creta / Sonet / Seltos to my loved ones in this price range.

But deep down I want Taigun / Kushaq to succeed. As I mentioned earlier European manufacturers have a baggage and they need something explosive to achieve good numbers

To achieve good numbers 4k+ given road presence and offerings Kushaq / Taigun offers I would have priced them a little above Rapid (8.5 - 14L) in a hypothetical world just for sales numbers
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks