Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:53   #346
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
VW confident of selling 5,000-6,000 units of Taigun every month
Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...y-month-421927

I feel VW's target is overoptimistic. With Astor coming in with all the features and mass market friendly value proposition along Seltos (loved by masses) doing 6000-7000 on an average per month, it will be difficult for Taigun to generate that high target numbers. At best, post honeymoon period, i feel it will settle down to 2500-3500 per month.

VW-Skoda group really needs to assess and research on Indian market better. I get a feeling that the management is very disconnected from the requirements, wants and needs of the Indian car buyer in the volume segment.
AMG1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:49   #347
BHPian

After having a look at the Skoda Kushaq thread, I fear that similar issues will be present for the VW Taigun as well.

What are the chances that Taigun also faces the same issue faced by Kushaq?
Old 3rd September 2021, 17:23   #348

Re: Specification comparison - Taigun | Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
Just my 2 paise: I test drove the Kushaq and Seltos back to back over the weekend and found the Seltos 1.5LNA IVT to be manageable & not too bad in comparison to Kushaq 1.0T AT. Yes, TCs are generally better than CVTs.
Kushaq was definitely better to drive & felt solid, but not to the extent to overlook everything else. As a package Seltos seems better as of now (despite 3star rating) and I am not even factoring fancy gizmos in my comparison.

PS: We have a VW Vento at home and somehow the Kushaq did not feel as solid as the Vento. I could be wrong. I guess it would be the same for Taigun as well.
Can you please provide some more details as to why do you think Seltos is a better buy as compared to Kushaq ...
I am also in the market for a new car and currently waiting for Taigun launch before taking a final call ...
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:09   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishegde View Post
What are the chances that Taigun also faces the same issue faced by Kushaq?
Mechanically both are same. So 100%. One can only hope they find a fix before customer deliveries start for the Taigun! Skoda still seem to be struggling for a solution as some cars even had repeat breakdowns.

Apart from the 20 or so EPC issues that grabbed headlines, there are also quite a few minor issues also to be resolved.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:30   #350
GTO
Team-BHP Support

5000 units / month is impossible for the Taigun. For one, Skoda priced the Kushaq at a premium and it won't allow the Taigun to significantly undercut it (remember, Skoda is heading VAG India and is the boss). Second, there's no diesel! 2/3rds of Creta sales are from the diesel.

I'll say the twins should manage 6000ish units combined, but not individually.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 19:50   #351
BHPian

I am even more pessimistic about the sales numbers. The upcoming XUV7OO and Astor are sure to put a spoke in VAG/Skoda's plans. And as GTO pointed out, the twins don't have a diesel option.

I would be pleasantly surprised if combined sales of Taigun and Kushaq exceed 4000 per month after the initial euphoria. 1500-2000 per month of each is where its going to settle down on a sustained basis after initial couple of months.
sanchari is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 23:24   #352
BHPian

Now that the MQB AO-IN is here, think VAG group shouldn’t waste time to start work on the next gen Polo. That’s the car that put VW in the hearts of Indian customers and enthusiasts.
Plan 1 - launch next gen Polo with MQB AO-IN platform
Plan 2 - keep working on the Taigun/Kushaq SUVs and make them worthy for the competitors in the segment
Plan 3 - Replace the ageing Vento/Rapid soon and make foray in to that ever sought after premium sedan segment.

I feel only if any of the above 2 plans workout, then VW will ever dream of achieving their sales target or else it’s fighting a lost battle.
pradheepsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 08:08   #353
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
At best, post honeymoon period, i feel it will settle down to 2500-3500 per month.
I feel even that is a tough ask. once the Astor is out and XUV700 deliveries begin it will be tough for VAG twins to even cross 2K Combined.
Reasons-
1) The negative publicity generated by the EPC issues.
2) Everyone knows this is an Indianised VW. More on that below.
3) No diesel
4) The general negative image of VW/Skoda ASS.
5) Small car size (this matters a lot to many)
6) Lack of features for the premium pricing
7) Publicity generated by Niggles apart from the EPC issue.
8) NVH isn't stellar and could have been much
better.
9) Build quality is above average. But not in the
leagues of typical skoda/VW cars like rapid
and vento.

Only thing that could make the car sell is it's driving dynamics. But apart from that these underachieve in all other aspects WRT competition. A silver lining for someone still interested in the VW twins is the used car market. Once the Astor and XUV700 are out, there could be hordes of people selling their Kushaq/Taigun, and could result in some very good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
VW-Skoda group really needs to assess and research on Indian market better. I get a feeling that the management is very disconnected from the requirements, wants and needs of the Indian car buyer in the volume segment.
This should be a lesson for not just VW group, but anyone else trying to do cost cutting and passing it off as Indianised car. Ideally an Indianised car should have following-

1) Great road presence (Indians love their cars to be big and spacious)
2) A feature packed cabin (hate it, but Indians prioritise features over safety and all other factors)
3) A great GC to handle the unpredictable roads
4) Reliable and niggle free car and ASS . This is actually fundamental, but even if you get this one thing right it might work wonders (ask Toyota)
07CR is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 11:42   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Brand Director feels the mid-sized SUV Segment is more suited for India One ( comprising of Northern India, Gujarat and the North East)

Quote:
With the Taigun, the percentage is expected to change as this segment and the product suits the India One region more
VW has split the market into two regions - India One which comprises Northern India, Gujarat and the North East and India Two which covers the South

Delays are to be expected as semiconductor issue hits most OEM's.

Quote:
Production is a challenge right now. The global supply chains are very much constrained, especially for semiconductors. Globally, there's a 30 per cent to 40 per cent shortage of semiconductors that go into a car. So we (Volkswagen) are also feeling the heat,
Quote:
being a part of a large group and having the launch of a new car upon them, the company was able to prioritise supplies towards the production of the Taigun
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th September 2021 at 11:43.
Old 4th September 2021, 11:44   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'll say the twins should manage 6000ish units combined, but not individually.
Thanks GTO! But I'm even more sketipal about the numbers that VAG twins can achieve.
Let me explain with approximate figures and some assumptions.
- Monthly sales for C Segment Compact SUV is about 25000 units every month.
- Let's assume over optimistically 20% Growth in the coming year, i.e. 30000 units every month.
- Today, about 55-60% sales in the segment are Diesel cars. Let's Assume Petrol gains more popularity with BS6, reduced gap in diesel prices and Diesel ban in Delhi.
- Out of 30000, say petrol share grows to 50%.i.e.15000 will be Petrol cars.
- This 15000 (over optimistic) number is shared between Creta, Seltos, Hector, Kushaq and upcoming XUV700, Astor & Taigun (no petrol Harrier).
- Let's assume all the existing cars lose 25% share to new entrants (again over optimistic).

Creta: share today 50%, share tomorrow 37.5% = 15000 * 37.5% = 5625 units
Seltos: Share today 35%, share tomorrow 22.5% = 15000 * 22.5% = 3375 units
Hector: 15% market share today (no Harrier Petrol), which let's say goes down to 5% only = 15000 * 5% = 750 units

- Out of 15000 petrol compact SUV segment, Total combined share of existing cars falls to 65% (9750 units) and assume remaining 35% (5250 units) is to be shared by Kushaq, Taigun, XUV700 & Astor.
- Now compare the aggresive pricing and steller feature list (including ADAS) of XUV700 and Astor (coming only in petrol) with so called premium Pricing & sub par feature list of VAG twins.

Over optimistic: let's divide remaining 5250 units equally among these 4 cars by forgetting super value proposition of XUV & Astor. Still VAG twins can do max 2600 units a month.

Optimistic: Considering better value proposition, let's assume XUV700 does 1500 units and Astor does 2000 units, it leaves only 1750 units month for VAG twins.

Realistic: Segment may not grow by 20% in an year. In the segment, Creta/Seltos will hardly lose 25% market share. And looking at initial impressions, XUV/Astor will definitely be future stars. Where will Kushaq & Taigun gain the numbers from? My realistic guess is twins will sell 1500 units a month together.

I'll not be surprised to see Kushaq/Taigun re-live the fate of Rapid/Vento which struggle to cross the one Thousand sales barrier together even with discounts at dealership.

I really want the VAG group to succeed. But with India 2.0 strategy, they are neither here (value for money what majority likes) nor there (super fun, safe, quality, European build). Both these products (Kushaq, Taigun) seem half baked, leaving you wanting for more.
I hope they learn quickly and do not repeat the mistakes with the upcoming sedan launches with India 2.0

Last edited by dh.harshal : 4th September 2021 at 12:11.
dh.harshal is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 14:48   #356

Hello Bhpians

After looking at all the initial niggles Kushaq is into, i am in a dilemma on my upcoming purchase. Need help

Options considered:

Troc:
Me and family both Loved the style,drive and build goes without a saying is amazing being a CBU. We are also getting the car with our choice of colour Blue.
We felt overpriced to what its offering. It can seat only floor due to high floor hump. SA says its for safety. Being a CBU, we’re unsure on the part availability and service costs after factoring in Extended warranty.

Creta SX(O) petrol:
Family loved the features as its full of bells and whistles. Five can easily sit comfortably in the back.I personally didn’t like the style, which will take a back seat when it comes to family preferences. Ride was fine but definitely not as fun as 1.5TSI. Booked on 5th July for Lava Orange. Delivery dates are not known its definitely more than 6months as they will start manufacturing the car only if they receive 100 bookings for same color. Got a new update from SA that they’re expecting further delays due to production issues. I presume even Hyundai is facing semi conductor shortage.
Thinking to get rid of idea to own create due to these delays.

Kushaq:

Desperately waited for it for months together. Family didn’t find the rear seat comfortable because of the hard plastics in the corners. Also once i understood that it doesn’t get 6 airbags, immediately dropped the idea of looking at it and stopped following the thread.

Taigun:

Loved the styling and engine combination as I’ve already TD Troc it'll be fun for sure. Joined the Taigun squad after paying booking amount and our preview is scheduled on 11th Sept at Novotel. I am unsure on the rear seat comfort in Taigun. Big let down if it turns out to be same as its sibling. Here comes the major conflict point of EPC failures, whether Taigun will also sees the same fate as that of Kushaq. I do not want to end up owning a lemon.

Hector, Harrier, Compass were not considered because of its high GC as my Mom finds it difficult to occupy back seat. Seltos is also out of picture due to its safety rating and poor build. Already owning 5th Gen city in family.
PS : City is a masterpiece for sure.
Old 4th September 2021, 19:47   #357

Hi TBHP,
This is my first post and starting with a question. I am in the market for a CSUV greater than 4m and was waiting for Kushaq 1.0 ambition AT since Dec20. I read every post on Kushaq thread with a lot of enthusiasm. However it was a big disappointment from pricing and rear seating capacity point of view. Over a period of time I made a peace with both the disappointments and even thought of buying 1.0 style AT. Frankly, 2 airbags for a ~20L OTR car is quite a bad deal. But decided to overlook that too. Now comes the EPC issues. This is a final deal breaker for me. My question is, should I wait for Taigun and expect more sense or is it going to be same treatment on pricing, rear seating and safety?
Prospective buyers like me are stuck between indifferent Koreans and arrogant Europeans.
Note: Even if I have capacity, I can't buy next segment due to parking space limitations.
Hari Seldon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 20:58   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Hi TBHP,
This is my first post and starting with a question. I am in the market for a CSUV greater than 4m and was waiting for Kushaq 1.0 ambition AT since Dec20. I read every post on Kushaq thread with a lot of enthusiasm. However it was a big disappointment from pricing and rear seating capacity point of view. Over a period of time I made a peace with both the disappointments and even thought of buying 1.0 style AT. Frankly, 2 airbags for a ~20L OTR car is quite a bad deal. But decided to overlook that too. Now comes the EPC issues. This is a final deal breaker for me. My question is, should I wait for Taigun and expect more sense or is it going to be same treatment on pricing, rear seating and safety?
Prospective buyers like me are stuck between indifferent Koreans and arrogant Europeans.
Note: Even if I have capacity, I can't buy next segment due to parking space limitations.
Welcome on-board, Hari !
I suggest, you take a look at MG Astor which will cover most of your needs. Let's see how it fares against the points you mentioned :

- will be priced around 16 lakhs ex-showroom for the top model
- Turbo Petrol engine 1.3 BHP which should be better than Kushaq/Taigun's 1.0 (not better than 1.5 TSI)
- Tourque converter AT
- Better rear seating capacity as seen in ZS EV
- Long & wide enough for CSUV look & 5 seating, but compact enough for your parking space
- ZS Turbo (equivalent of Astor) is a 5 star safety rated car
- Additionally, you'll get a lot of features including ADAS
dh.harshal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 21:01   #359
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

This is my first post and I am really excited to be a part of TeamBHP family officially now.

I am looking to upgrade from Polo TDI (1.5L KMs done in 9 years niggle free) and was waiting for VW twins as I think the 1.5 TSI engine to be the closest one which could almost match the sorted dynamics of my current ride. But after the recent developments of Kushaq related to EPC issues I am a bit worried about going ahead. I have faced no issues with VW A.S.S during my Polo ownership and would like to stick to VAG till the onslaught of EVs arrive may be after 5 years.

I love the VW TROC 1.5 TSI but it exceeds my current budget by atleast 5L. Also based on what Skoda did to Karoq once Kushaq came into existence I am afraid VW might also discontinue TROC next year.

For 22L, I might get a pre-worshipped 2017-18 Audi A3, Q3 1.4 TSI petrol driven not more than 40k KMs from Audi Approved Plus dealership in Gurgaon.

Would love to hear suggestions from our fellow members if I should delay my purchase for next 6 months and save money for TROC or book Taigun GT or buy a pre-worshipped Audi among the ones mentioned above.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 09:43   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Hello BHPians,

This is my first post and I am really excited to be a part of TeamBHP family officially now.

Would love to hear suggestions from our fellow members if I should delay my purchase for next 6 months and save money for TROC or book Taigun GT or buy a pre-worshipped Audi among the ones mentioned above.
Welcome to the forum. Having personally seen both the T-roc (driven) and Taigun (seen exterior and interior), I can tell you that the two are different cars with the same 1.5 TSI. There is no denying the fact that EPC issues have dented the much awaited India 2.0 push, and I would rather wait out the initial few batches of these cars than being one of those who face the EPC error and a stalled car in the middle of a trip or on my way to work.
acquillew is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed