Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 13:34   #481
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Just curious to know what was the reason for cancellation?
I picked up the Compass 4X4. The Taigun though a good car, did not tick all the boxes. I saw the Taigun in person 10 days back - and the top spec car. It feels better than the Kushaq, but I did not get the feel of a VW (subjective).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Any specifics which you would like to highlight which can help potential buyers. I am in the market for Taigun GT upgrading from my 10 yr old Polo TDI done 1.5L KMs without any issues till date.
Don't like the Koreans as they don't give my a better feel compared to what the Polo does. I don't want any compromise in dynamics compared to my Polo, will the GT not be a real upgrade from the Polo?
I would wait out the initial batches to see if there are any engine issues the Kushaq guys are facing. The car drives well. The buying decision also depends on how much money you are investing in the Taigun. Assuming you are looking at a top spec car, you are spending about 20L on road - which opens the door to many options. In the lower trims and the 1L specs, the car is more VFM than the higher specs IMO. Happy revving!
acquillew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 14:48   #482
BHPian

I got a chance to see the Taigun in flesh today, sadly no pictures were allowed to be taken. I really liked the front look of the car, it is definitely better than Kushaq and gives a impression of bigger car. I am still not able to formulate my feelings about the back look, but it does not look ugly for sure.

Before going to VW showroom, I went to MG showroom and had a look at Astor as well, I feel the interior and features of Astor does give it a premium feel but on the contrary, it is Taigun that feels and looks premium from exterior especially in that yellow color.
Taigun was standing next to a Hector and near by there was also a MG ZS EV (if you are wondering what MG cars are doing in VW showroom, the owner of MG and VW showroom is same and they are situated opposite to each other) and from the noob observation skills that I have, I will pick Taigun on exterior looks any given day, this design philosophy of VW shows that Taigun's will look fresh even 10 years down the line.
This visit to both the showrooms have confused me even more on what to choose as a next car. I still have time on my hands and I will again dig into comparison of these crossovers when the time comes to buy new car early next year.
hopefully we will have more clarity when there are owner reviews of these on the forum.

P.S - I some time still admire the red Polo's parked on the roadside:-)
EmpyreanKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 17:19   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Taigun GT Reaches Dealerships Ahead Of September 23 Launch:

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-3.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-2.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-4.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 18:17   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 2209608

Attachment 2209606

Attachment 2209607

Attachment 2209605

Link
Definitely digging the long LED tail light. Hope more car manufacturers adopt these instead of those plastic/chrome inserts.

Especially loved it on the latest Kia Stinger.
Old 20th September 2021, 18:39   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I was speaking to a known person in sales at the dealership in South Mumbai on the Taigun. Seems the cars are now with the dealers as you rightly said. But what surprised me was when he told me that the car was at the workshop. When I inquired why (I thought it may be the EPC on that as well) he told me that during the launch, some one had broken off the signal stalk of the car.

I have always wondered that on such parts that are common across VWs, as a consumer why cant we get the same thing from a dealer in say Europe or the US? I recall for my first Vento, the way to play through the USB was a connector in the glovebox which was missing when the car once came back from service. I had one ordered from a dealer in Atlanta and sent to me. Worked like a charm.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th September 2021 at 19:18. Reason: Extra word deleted
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 19:41   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
I got a chance to see the Taigun in flesh today, sadly no pictures were allowed to be taken. I really liked the front look of the car, it is definitely better than Kushaq and gives a impression of bigger car. I am still not able to formulate my feelings about the back look, but it does not look ugly for sure.

Before going to VW showroom, I went to MG showroom and had a look at Astor as well, I feel the interior and features of Astor does give it a premium feel but on the contrary, it is Taigun that feels and looks premium from exterior especially in that yellow color.
Taigun was standing next to a Hector and near by there was also a MG ZS EV (if you are wondering what MG cars are doing in VW showroom, the owner of MG and VW showroom is same and they are situated opposite to each other) and from the noob observation skills that I have, I will pick Taigun on exterior looks any given day, this design philosophy of VW shows that Taigun's will look fresh even 10 years down the line.
This visit to both the showrooms have confused me even more on what to choose as a next car. I still have time on my hands and I will again dig into comparison of these crossovers when the time comes to buy new car early next year.
hopefully we will have more clarity when there are owner reviews of these on the forum.

P.S - I some time still admire the red Polo's parked on the roadside:-)
I would echo the same sentiments and agree with each and every word you have penned down.

The way I looked at MG Astor was freaking well executed interiors. There is a feel of premium and appear as couple of segment above. If MG would have provided ventilated seats in top variant then there is no reason to complain.
If they undercut Taigun, which they will, then not sure how Volkswagen justify premium tag. Our engines are superior or German heritage?

Tail lamps each one of the vehicles have their own appeal. Depending on individual choice. I liked both of them.

Rear leg space seemed better in Taigun & Kushaq than MG Astor.

Volkswagen will age better and MG Astor which is in mid lifecycle update might see a new design 2-3 years down the line.

On execution stand point liked the way MG india has executed strategy rather than Volkswagen.

Advertisement "Hustle mode on" might prove "Hustle to sell going forward". Volkswagen campaign didn't connect with me. Marketing team is just burning cash. Such prolonged hangover doesn't help. . Have almost lost interest.

MG on other hand did virtual launch, got the vehicles to showroom sooner, media drives starting on 26 September and mostly will release prices and start booking by 01 October. That is how you keep the customer engaged.

I have been customer of Volkswagen for decade now. Showroom experience at MG was lot nicer.

MG hector and MG ZS EV comes with 5 year warranty, going by the trend MG might offer the same for Astor. This is one more trump card over volkswagen warranty of 4 years.

There will be ADAS and Non ADAS version to satisfy needs of all types of buyers. Will significantly come at different price points.

Not many have emphasize on ACC(Adaptive cruise control). One you start using it and get a hang of it you will always expect this function to be there in your next car. Couple of year down the lane. might become standard in this segment of cars.

Underbody cladding: Executed very well in Astor then half hearted attempt in Taigun. Shocking Volkswagen has not prioritized this.

All said above not everything is rosy with MG Astor.
  • Reverse camera feed quality looked very low resolution. There are adaptive guidelines though.
  • Live feed from turn signals is on media unit rather than instrument console. Which is weird.
  • AI assistant (looked like after thought product) was very laggy and didn't respond correctly in the display car. Hope such glitches don't exist in ADAS
  • Privacy and data issues will always be back of mind. What ever the management can say ally such fears, but one just can't trust.
  • More the advance technology then more are the chances of failures. MG Astor has lot of sensors and radars. Front end or rear ending repairs might be expensive affair. Wonder insurance companies will charge more premium.
  • Last but not the least, ever changing dynamic with the neighbors will have a huge impact on survival of brand and company. Customer sentiments and how future government policies will decide it's fate.

Looks like it is a race to finish line. Boils down to test drives and pricing. This will put final nail in the coffin.

Next 3 weeks will be one of the most interesting weeks in this segment with XUV700 joining the race.

Hold on to your seats, catch a popcorn, go through tons of reviews, open your excel sheets and start jolting down features vs requirements list.

If you are still unable to decide then go with your heart.
CircleOfLife is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 23:36   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hope you got the mail confirmation for the booking from Volkswagen?

I'm just surprised because when I pre-booked, the website only had a minimum amount of 25,000/-
Sorry for going off topic, but have you decided on any other car for your requirements? Also, what was the reason for cancellation in terms of Tiguan?

It would be interesting to see what you choose
Old 21st September 2021, 00:03   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for going off topic, but have you decided on any other car for your requirements? Also, what was the reason for cancellation in terms of Tiguan?

It would be interesting to see what you choose
I have delayed my purchase. Do not 'need' a new car now, thanks to the WFH situation! Taigun was a decision from the heart, only thanks to that drivetrain.

After what is happening with the Kushaq, I'm 100% sure of staying clear of the Taigun as well for the next few months, no matter what assurance they (Zac or Ashish) give. Let a few customer-test cars run at least 10,000 kms without issues - then I'll believe the "robust" pump claim.

Will re-asses the purchase by Feb-March.

After I made the decision to postpone the purchase, a few more factors personal factors also re-enforced it - a rumour on offices reopening/announcing future work details soon, the need for a diesel in case they announce a mixed home-office policy, more clarity and ease of the newly implemented BH registration series etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 00:49   #489
BHPian

Quote:

Will re-asses the purchase by Feb-March.
Exactly what I am planning on, Your situation is quite similar to mine but our office has already implemented future work policy & my manager and team decided to choose fully flexible, which means, it is managers call on when to call you to office

Also I am waiting on completion of Samruddhi Mahamarg which will shorten the current distance between my city and Mumbai from 7 hrs duration to 4 hrs, this will probably define my fuel of choice.

I completely agree with you on the fuel pump issue. It is not wise to purchase it right away even after being so much aware about the situation.

Funny enough, when I visited the showroom today, I did enquire sales guy about the fuel pump, first he said that since the car is launching late compared to kushaq, they may have already resolved it and when I was about to leave the premises I brought up fuel pump again to which childishly / innocently he replied “sir lagta hai company publicity ke liye jaan bujh kar yeh recalls karti hai”

I had no reply for him, except a humble smile.
EmpyreanKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 07:03   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post

If you are still unable to decide then go with your heart.
Ahh.. That's when the 1.5 Manual Taigun GT comes home
acquillew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:40   #491
Team-BHP Support

Supposedly, the service costs for the Taigun is very competitive for the segment -

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20210921123840_instagram.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:14   #492

Quote:
Supposedly, the service costs for the Taigun is very competitive for the segment -

Attachment 2209943
Thank you for sharing. The 1.0 TSI ATs 60k cost seems to stand out, wonder what parts they are replacing, that is specific to 1.0 AT.
sreenath13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:17   #493
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2209943
If this is verified cost then dealers won’t be happy.

Volkswagen have literally dropped service cost nearly 50% compared to existing service cost. Oil change itself used to cost as much as first service cost indicated for Taigun. Wonder which engine oil they have moved to.

It would be good to compare Kushaq vs Taigun service cost.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 16:43   #494
Team-BHP Support

With the addition of six airbags on the automatic variants, Kushaq 1.0 prices have gone up by 40k. New prices are as below -

1.0 TSi ranges from 10.49 (Active MT) lakhs to Rs. 16.2 lakhs (Style AT).
1.5 TSi ranges from 16.19 lakhs (Style MT) to 18 lakhs (Style DSG).

With Volkswagen set to announce prices day after tomorrow - I guess this should give us a fair indication of the expected pricing.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st September 2021 at 16:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:39   #495
BHPian

Quote:
I have delayed my purchase. Do not 'need' a new car now, thanks to the WFH situation!
Quote:
Exactly what I am planning on, Your situation is quite similar to mine but our office has already implemented future work policy & my manager and team decided to choose fully flexible, which means, it is managers call on when to call you to office
My primary motivation to book the Taigun was the competent, proven petrol engine and the hassle-free AT gearbox in a Crossover/CSUV avatar.

On one side, we've given up 50% of the workspace and no one is talking about when we're likely to resume working out of the offices. Therefore, my daily commute is not likely to resume anytime soon. On top of that, my S-Cross has clocked just 2k KM in the past 18 months. This is making it harder for me to justify the purchase at this juncture.

I'm also thinking about waiting it out till the first couple of batches are out, but haven't made a decision yet.

Last edited by pannags : 21st September 2021 at 21:46. Reason: Content changes
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks