Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 21:40   #61
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Apparently the dealers also do not know much about the 1.0 variants and VW are being quite tight lipped about it. He was asking me to pre-book the vehicle but I declined.
The sales person followed up and made sure that atleast the registration is done on the company website even if I don't make an immediate booking.

On an interesting note , skoda dealer told me that Kushaq 1.0 TSI AT can be made available in two weeks for delivery.
drivingmelody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 21:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's an awesome review, very detailed and you have managed to cover up everything.

However, I have mixed feelings about the car.
  • In spite of having the complete idea of the failures of the DQ200 gearbox, I wonder why VW is so hell-bent on getting the same gearbox here. Why not get the comparatively more reliable DQ250?
  • The top-end version has more bling to it. In fact, the rear end looks overdone. A clean and straight rear end would have looked better.
  • Even after selling cars for 10+ years in India, they still can't get wiper & light stalks in the correct orientation For some reason, I can't digest this fact. Probably nit-picking but nonetheless; I find it to be problematic
  • The two dial speedo console looks a lot better than the digital one. I just wish they had that for all the variants. Classy and nice looking.
  • I still have a feeling that there is some chance of them messing up the price of the car, at least for some variants in the lineup. Let's see when they disclose the prices.
The DQ250 is a wet clutch unit, and has a much higher torque handling limit (400NM).
And in percentage terms, it is capable of handling 60% more torque than the Dry Clutch DQ200.
This is why it is typically used in VW's larger 2.0TSI/1.8TSi engines.

I can think of couple of reasons for using the DQ200:

1. The peak Torque output of 1.5TSI Evo Engine is 250NM.
This matches well with the DQ200's peak torque handling rating.
When we try to match 250NM Torque with the DQ250's rated capacity, it is grossly lower than what the DQ250 can handle.
From an engineer's point of view, it simply does not make sense to skip the DQ200, and use the DQ250.

2. Cost. I am guessing that the DQ250 would be substantially more expensive.
abhishek46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 21:45   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The DQ250 is a wet clutch unit, and has a much higher torque handling limit (400NM).
And in percentage terms, it is capable of handling 60% more torque than the Dry Clutch DQ200.
This is why it is typically used in VW's larger 2.0TSI/1.8TSi engines.

I can think of couple of reasons for using the DQ200:

1. The peak Torque output of 1.5TSI Evo Engine is 250NM.
This matches well with the DQ200's peak torque handling rating.
When we try to match 250NM Torque with the DQ250's rated capacity, it is grossly lower than what the DQ250 can handle.
From an engineer's point of view, it simply does not make sense to skip the DQ200, and use the DQ250.

2. Cost. I am guessing that the DQ250 would be substantially more expensive.
To add on

3. Weight: DQ250 is heavier and the fact that it has a wet clutch adds more weight of the fluid.

4. Efficiency: combined with lesser weight and a dry clutch system, DQ200 is more efficient.
agambhandari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 22:02   #64

Awesome review as always! Need an info on below two points

1. Whether ventilated seats are available in 1.5 GT DSG variant?
2. Me and my dad were seated at the back in Kushaq and observed that the corner hard plastic is getting slightly pierced into the shoulder which we felt a bit uncomfortable. Could someone let me know whether the rear seat corners of Taigun have the same design as that of Kushaq? Highlighting that area in Taigun.

Of course no one had this observation in reviews as it might be subjective.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-d780dfa6552f40279cea57a908e364a2.jpeg  

Old 9th August 2021, 22:06   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
I see, people going Gaga over Taigun & it's driving pleasure. But how many of us, bought Polo GTI with 1.8 TSI engine for its sheer driving pleasure.
I think driving pleasure plays a role. Of course, not in niche cases like the GTI. But with this segment, if you put the Creta, Seltos, Kushaq, Taigun + the others in a line, broadly speaking all of them would satisfy a buyer in the segment and then when it comes to making a final choice, that is where you can get blown away by the TSI+DSG Combo. Being an owner of a Vento TSI (as I am too), I am sure you are well aware of that. Other nice to have features cannot have that same impact as the feel one gets on a drive. While the engine-gearbox combos on all the cars in the segment are pretty good, there is still that something extra that the TSI DSG combo brings in.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 22:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

The website is classy. But, Copy/text had a lot of grammatical errors, unbecoming of the brand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I asked about the 1.0 AT and he said that VW are organizing a preview event for those who registered thei interest on the website. He said the event will mostly be on the 21st and 22nd of August.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot-20210809-10.39.23-pm.png  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot-20210809-10.40.09-pm.png  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot-20210809-11.11.03-pm.png  

Last edited by Sebring : 9th August 2021 at 23:11.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:08   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
.Sunblinds are similar to magnetic ones that will be soon available on Amazon (should be same as Kushaq), and likely to cost a bomb when it comes from VW.
Bought the rear sunblind for the Kushaq recently from Skoda - it's indeed similar to the magnetic ones with slightly better fit and a thicker net. Cost me 2K.
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:26   #68
BHPian

Personally, I think that the Seltos and Creta have really spoiled the people in this price bracket. The feature list, comfort level, good drivability, ASS, etc. and overall practicality is (so far) unmatched.

I am sure that the VW Taigun is great to drive and exudes the VW quality as per all the online reviews but having said that, once you compare it to its Korean cousins, well, you really can't.

Though I do admit that I am a bit biased since I own the Kia Seltos 1.4DCT, and I can safely say that, SO FAR, there is no other car out there (other than Creta) which can match the overall VFM package. I mean the kind of stuff in here like the HUD, blind spot cameras (right and left), rear view camera with 360 degree (great resolution by the way), dynamic guidelines, ventilated seats, peppy DCT box, sunroof, electric adjustable driver seats, you name it, its all there. Barring the panoramic sunroof (which I don't think is a necessity) and maybe the e-brake (which again, not THAT important) and paddle shifters, its pretty much loaded to the gills.

Of course these are my personal opinions, with regards to the experience I have had so far with my Seltos.

As such, finding another car to replace my ageing Ford Ecosport Diesel (touching 8 years now) while living in Delhi, is becoming increasingly difficult!
Old 9th August 2021, 23:39   #69
BHPian

A fine tooth comb review in true TBHP tradition !
A good product which could be let down by some obvious omissions.
I think the feel, fit and finish differentiated VAG from the rest of the car brands, in India. (A VAG car was always an aspiration for us budget riders) And this is where VAG has decided to skimp. Its a nobody's guess that the panoramic sunroof is a deal sealer. VAG decides not to have it. And so on with EPB, all discs and all that smart car tech. Even the upholstery looks low rent. A family car cannot be driver focused and be expected to sell in high numbers. I fear Taigun and Kushaq will again become niche products very soon and what follows is disillusionment in dealer and the subsequent after effects. But since there has been acknowledgement and an inclination to course correct, as shown in the case of Rapid, I am sure version2 or the facelift will be what the market wants. Just hoping they learn it fast enough as the Koreans did.
A bit OT - But after comparing this with the rest of the reviews that were out today, I get this feel that the rest of the reviews are directed more at the company bosses rather than the reader / viewer, what with all the fawning, adjectives and lip service. Its a bit off putting and also requires an effort on the reader / viewer to glean out the right info.
On the other hand the TBHP reviews are such clinical stuff. A super effort! Thank You CrAzY dRiVeR and Gannu_1
jazzrockz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 08:21   #70
BHPian

As usual, a good and detailed review by TBHP. Thank you guys for taking the time and effort.

There are two sets of buyers in the market in this segment.

(1) People who prioritize safety and driving dynamics over "features" - 20% of the market but growing. This group is ok to skip out on bling features - 360 camera, secondary displays (do you really need another display to tell you the speed?) and the likes. They also desire a more premium in-car experience - good quality sound system (vs brand sticker job), fast and responsive infotainment unit, backlit buttons, etc. But, what this group doesn't like to skip on is the safety of their families and the drive of the car.

(2) People who desire all sorts of creature comforts, aren't as concerned about safety and don't really care about the drive too much. The car is a prized possession to flaunt to relatives and friends. This group mostly doesn't understand one safety feature from the other (three letter acronym overload). This is 80% of the market.

For the 80%, Hyundai and its subsidiaries will always win. This is the OnePlus and Xiaomi strategy of the auto world.

For the 20%, VAG / Tata / some Mahindra cars / some Japs / some other European brands will be the only real options. Samsung strategy of the auto world (relevant products at all price points).

I'll always be a part of the 20% group. The safety of my family is always the topmost priority for me.

Hoping to convince my 60+ father to upgrade to the Taigun to replace his Polo, despite the inconsistent service we've experienced with VAG. Service being one reason why I skipped the Octavia while shopping for a D Segment sedan.

Last edited by andafunda : 10th August 2021 at 08:22.
andafunda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 08:42   #71
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen's token appreciation mail for pre-booking customers -

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20210810082740_gmail.jpg

Hope the service packages offer coverage of at least 4 years/60000kms like that of the Skoda Kushaq.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:04   #72
BHPian

2 things I liked about the taigun top end DSG - Prioritising 6 airbags over ventilated seats and providing fabric seats in the top end since ventilated seats are not there. The sacrifices have obviously been made keeping costs in mind. The digital MID is pointless without the full blown features like in the T-Cross where you can see the map. Should have just gone with analog and saved some more money.

In hindsight the T-Roc is such a bargain. You get all the features (except the irritation of heated seats) and it is a Euro-NCAP 5 star rated car! How is it that a CBU car actually feels more bang for the buck than a "made for India", "Made in India" car?
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:25   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
In hindsight the T-Roc is such a bargain. You get all the features (except the irritation of heated seats) and it is a Euro-NCAP 5 star rated car! How is it that a CBU car actually feels more bang for the buck than a "made for India", "Made in India" car?
The Indianized version of a vehicle is not based on cost optimization only, there is some engineering changes that are needed underneath. A CBU from the European side will break easily on our roads with big bills to pay for otherwise. Made in and for India is certainly preferred.

The VAG twins are a very nice effort at producing something meaningful for our market for the first time and competitive environment is good for the customer who will otherwise have only the Korean brands to look upto. However as we have seen with Nissan magnite, the vehicle in isolation is good but once customers compare it to an established standard, it will fall short in some areas - same here with VAG twins.
Old 10th August 2021, 09:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Heart said Taigun 1.5 DSG, mind said Compass 1.4 Sport MT or Kushaq 1.5 MT. Went with the heart, but fingers crossed on that gearbox.
Sorry, I'm just curious - if side and curtain airbags had been available on the 1-litre with the 6-speed auto, would you have picked that over the 1.5-litre dual clutch? Also, did you discount the Seltos over crashworthiness or for other reasons?
Old 10th August 2021, 10:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
As usual, a good and detailed review by TBHP. Thank you guys for taking the time and effort.

There are two sets of buyers in the market in this segment.

(1) People who prioritize safety and driving dynamics over "features" - 20% of the market but growing. This group is ok to skip out on bling features - 360 camera, secondary displays (do you really need another display to tell you the speed?) and the likes. They also desire a more premium in-car experience - good quality sound system (vs brand sticker job), fast and responsive infotainment unit, backlit buttons, etc. But, what this group doesn't like to skip on is the safety of their families and the drive of the car.

(2) People who desire all sorts of creature comforts, aren't as concerned about safety and don't really care about the drive too much. The car is a prized possession to flaunt to relatives and friends. This group mostly doesn't understand one safety feature from the other (three letter acronym overload). This is 80% of the market.

For the 80%, Hyundai and its subsidiaries will always win. This is the OnePlus and Xiaomi strategy of the auto world.

For the 20%, VAG / Tata / some Mahindra cars / some Japs / some other European brands will be the only real options. Samsung strategy of the auto world (relevant products at all price points).

I'll always be a part of the 20% group. The safety of my family is always the topmost priority for me.

Hoping to convince my 60+ father to upgrade to the Taigun to replace his Polo, despite the inconsistent service we've experienced with VAG. Service being one reason why I skipped the Octavia while shopping for a D Segment sedan.
The reason you buy a top end car is for the features, calling bling is just sour grapes, there's not a single car maker that doesn't charge for features, in fact luxury means a good number of features, not 4 chairs and an engine. The 20% usually static in any market, the ones who burn their fingers swallowing marketing drivel usually bail at the first opportunity. A 360 degree camera helps you park in a tight spot, how is that bling? The heroes who are building electric charging infrastructure as compensation for emissions fraud will have no trouble cutting costs to build barely roadworthy vehicles. The DSG is a train wreck, it'll give trouble, only a question of when.

VW doesn't have the confidence to offer a real top end version, removing ventilated seats and giving fabric upholstery isn't some kind of engineering prowess, it's plain penny pinching. Their cars got safety features as they got long in the tooth and there was no way to get costumers to spend money on their ancient models. The current platform is a cut price localisation program,the cars will reflect that down the line.
avira_tk is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks