Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 23:45   #1126
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
I went with my gut feel and since i had loved the test drive of the AT changed the booking to AT from MT. Thanks for this @throttleflick...

I also recollect the audio alarm going off during the TD going at 80kmph. Can we set that ourselves as in the Polo/ other vehicles or will the dealership have to be requested for the same.
Congratulations darthvader5000! Did the conversation with your SA go like this - “I am altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.”

From the owners manual,

Quote:
Adjustable speed limit
The system offers the possibility to set a speed limit
beyond which an acoustic warning signal will sound
and the following warning message appears in the
display of the instrument cluster.

Preset speed limit 80 km/h and 120 km/h
Only applies to some countries due to country-specific legal requirements.

The system automatically alerts you when you are exceeding the speed limit of 80 km/h and 120 km/h.

If the speed exceeds 80 km/h, an audible warning signal will sound and the symbol will appear in the display.

The audible warning sounds at regular intervals of two minutes until the speed is reduced.

It the speed exceeds 120 km/h, an audible warning signal will sound and the symbol will appear in the display.
They've also mentioned steps to be able to set the speed limit, but I've not found them in the 10" screen or the digital cockpit. I think we can't set the speed at which the car will sound the chime as the laws here mandate the 80 km/hr and 120 km/hr chime.

I've gotten used to the 80km/hr chime although, it does get fairly irritating when I'm constantly crossing that threshold after having to slow down and speed up again. I would've loved to set it at 100 km/hr.

Would be so cool to see the pictures and ownership on a Carbon Grey Taigun. It was my initial choice but the dealer didn't have it in stock and I didn't want them invoice my car in Jan '22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post
Hi Throttleflick. I'll share the experience I had with the sunfilm on the nios.
Cost for the 4 windows Rs. 1800
Cost for the 2 windshields Rs. 1800
Another reason is for the increased privacy considering my wife and me get a fair bit of late night hospital calls and drive at night times a lot, sometimes alone too.
Thanks for including the costs as well. Looking forward to the Taigun pictures
throttleflick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 07:19   #1127
BHPian

I just realised another thing. Among the on-board apps Sygic works offline and doesn't need internet, only gaana, booking.com and audiobook require a WiFi network. So I don't even need a hotspot now. Most of the time it's both my wife and me traveling in the car, so both our phones are connected through BT for calls and her's for music as well. That way I don't have to fiddle with the ICE and get distracted to play music.

As for the ease of finding places in the search toolbar, i do agree that Google maps is far superior, but once you save places that you want to go to previously itself, sygic works well. It even shows the speed limits in various roads. The overall appearance is also very good in Sygic. Inside cities, the 3D view looks awesome.
Old 24th February 2022, 12:32   #1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post
I just realised another thing. Among the on-board apps Sygic works offline and doesn't need internet, only gaana, booking.com and audiobook require a WiFi network. So I don't even need a hotspot now. Most of the time it's both my wife and me traveling in the car, so both our phones are connected through BT for calls and her's for music as well. That way I don't have to fiddle with the ICE and get distracted to play music.

As for the ease of finding places in the search toolbar, i do agree that Google maps is far superior, but once you save places that you want to go to previously itself, sygic works well. It even shows the speed limits in various roads. The overall appearance is also very good in Sygic. Inside cities, the 3D view looks awesome.
I will generally recommend using Google Maps offline mode (via Android Auto or Apple Carplay). Maps navigation is a crazy hard technology to get right. That's why Apple Maps was discarded.

And this is in the US which still has some semblance of good mapping.

Stay safe!
sandeepss1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 06:18   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Evening Gentlemen,
PS : Is it worth taking the 9.9K worth accessory kit being provided which essentially has just the mud flaps, mats and rear screens worth talking about. The dealership claims that the same accessories aren't available in stock to be sold separately. So, are these available outside in New Delhi, good quality ones obviously? And any other frills which I am missing out, suggestions for the same would be most welcome.
AT is blessing but mileage is a curse. However count your blessings for peace of mind. In the accessories pack only sunblinds and mud flaps appear VFM. Getting mud flaps installed elsewhere is not advisable. I didn't buy the pack but pushed my SA to sell sunblinds separately and he did oblige for 2k. Waiting for mud flap which might around 1 week more.
prabhu7944 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 15:45   #1130
BHPian

Thanks for this @Prabhu7944 but no such luck here with my dealer. But the quality of their flaps etc is top notch so will just go ahead and take the deal. I say this because the dealer ship fitted mud flaps and floor mats on my Polo TDi 2013 model are still ship shape which I deem super VFM.

Which brings me to the Polo TDi. Please do excuse me mods for bringing this here. The car is going to be 10 years in Aug 2023 and am being advised to replace it now itself to prevent a sharp decline in re sale value later. This is New Delhi. Since it would be primarily driven by the working wife, any recommendations ( petrol only) would be welcome. I have been through the Nexon and Magnite threads but cant make out. Sonnet is a no no for her.

Last edited by darthvader5000 : 27th February 2022 at 15:45. Reason: name
Old 1st March 2022, 22:57   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this @Prabhu7944 but no such luck here with my dealer. But the quality of their flaps etc is top notch so will just go ahead and take the deal. I say this because the dealer ship fitted mud flaps and floor mats on my Polo TDi 2013 model are still ship shape which I deem super VFM.
You can order for flaps in 1st month service by then it will be spare parts and not accessories. With sales being less than expected numbers it is just some pull and push between dealer and us. Try negotiating hard by taking the booking to month end to see if some discounts are possible.
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 03:09   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Which brings me to the Polo TDi. Please do excuse me mods for bringing this here. The car is going to be 10 years in Aug 2023 and am being advised to replace it now itself to prevent a sharp decline in re sale value later. This is New Delhi. Since it would be primarily driven by the working wife, any recommendations ( petrol only) would be welcome. I have been through the Nexon and Magnite threads but cant make out. Sonnet is a no no for her.
Assuming it to be a two car garage, check if it makes sense to exchange the TDi in favour of the:
  1. Baleno AMT
  2. Tata Altroz
  3. Polo TSi :P

Or the Nexon EV. Good to have the Taigun for mixed duties while the EV can be a good choice for city commutes.

When are you getting the Taigun delivered by the way?

Last edited by throttleflick : 2nd March 2022 at 03:18. Reason: car -> Taigun
throttleflick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 18:30   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the 1.5 TSI GT on behalf of a friend today. Below are my observations:

WHAT I LIKE

1. Drives really well - difficult to wipe the grin off the face once you get hang of the automatic.

2. Quick shifting, barely noticeable gears. Manual mode using paddle shifts adds an altogether different dimension to the drive. Sport mode is the icing on the cake (revving the engine in lower gears does give rise to a harsh note though).

3. Brakes are good. Sudden stops as well as gradual deceleration gave no cause for worry.

4. Ride is compliant and the handling competent. Potholes are dismissed with disdain although one does feel the road surface a bit.

5. Front seats are supportive; sufficient width and depth on the seating surface and enough bolstering on the back rest. But I am a 5.5 ft, lean built gent and therefore my perception could be subjective.

6. Rear seats are spacious and can seat three average built men without much trouble. But the middle seat is, as usual, a bit uncomfortable; the width of the transmission tunnel providing the guidelines for placing the two legs of the occupant.

7. Legroom is generous.

8. MID & ICE look nice.

WHAT IRKS ME

1. Quality of the seat cover, headliner, dashboard, certain switches and door pad plastics remind me of much much cheaper cars. The roof feels hollow - as found using the tap test.

2. Boot space could have been more. High loading lip makes placing luggage difficult.

3. Priced at around 20 big ones, the car does feel a bit overpriced by at least 2-3 lahs. But so do many others in the segment. Hence, can't do much here.

MISC

1. Looks are subjective; I certainly didn't like it. It lacks a distinct identity and character

2. Couldn't explore the ICE, MID and sunroof in detail. I missed noticing the FE display too.

3. The SA insisted that the DSG is an improved, India ready variant and therefore chances of failure are minimal. In the same breath, he also suggested we go for maximum warranty - just for peace of mind .

x x x

As the friend isn't keen on spending 20 lakhs on a new car and since he can manage easily without the automatic, we are looking to test drive the 1.0 manual. The SA was full of praise for this engine-gearbox combination and promised to get it next week.

Last edited by dailydriver : 3rd March 2022 at 18:32.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 19:06   #1134
BHPian

She does nt like the Baleno. Altroz / Nexon checked out. Favours the latter. Polo was my first choice but the dealership tells me VW intends to stop manufacturing the Polo for now. Anyone else hear of this ? Else that was my first choice.

Tommorow morning i take delivery.

RTO systems were acting up. 06 cars in NCR had their files stuck from tuesday till today morning. Apparently, the system does nt permit a fresh registration attempt for a given chassis if a previous one already in place even if the system hangs. The system then releases the hung files after 72 odd hrs for fresh processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
Assuming it to be a two car garage, check if it makes sense to exchange the TDi in favour of the:
  1. Baleno AMT
  2. Tata Altroz
  3. Polo TSi :P
Or the Nexon EV. Good to have the Taigun for mixed duties while the EV can be a good choice for city commutes.

Old 3rd March 2022, 21:43   #1135
BHPian

Volkswagen Taigun : Ineffective air-conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkone1 View Post
This has been my initial experience with the car and I wish to keep updating you guys. I will be coming up with the exterior, interior, technical review and my service experience shortly.
How has your experience with the air conditioning been so far? Is it satisfactory especially on the longer trips you have undertaken?
Old 4th March 2022, 10:41   #1136
BHPian

Re: 2021 VW Taigun Highline 1.0 TSI Automatic | Ownership Review | After 2 months and 3200kms+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahil_29 View Post
How has your experience with the air conditioning been so far? Is it satisfactory especially on the longer trips you have undertaken?
I have done more than 7500km so far in the Taigun. The AC works fine on long trips just ensure the temperature is set below 23 degrees.
TJ02 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 14:20   #1137
BHPian

Hi Everyone, has anyone recently received the delivery of Taigun Comfortline variant. If yes, how much time did you have to wait post booking?

I had booked mine in Nov 2021 but still waiting. The SA calls every fortnight though advising us to revise our booking to Highline variant.
Old 4th March 2022, 20:02   #1138
BHPian

Re: 2021 VW Taigun Highline 1.0 TSI Automatic | Ownership Review | After 2 months and 3200kms+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahil_29 View Post
In the trip to Vellore just the weekend before last, it was getting a bit too warm for comfort in the back seats with auto mode. I changed the fan to max speed and it cooled down in a few minutes. But I had to keep the temperature set at 24 or lower to retain the comfort levels.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 22:34   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
In the trip to Vellore just the weekend before last, it was getting a bit too warm for comfort in the back seats with auto mode. I changed the fan to max speed and it cooled down in a few minutes. But I had to keep the temperature set at 24 or lower to retain the comfort levels.
Have driven for about 650 kms. Within chennai and one drive to mahabs. Never felt comfortable with setting of more than 20 . Need to check out after getting sunfilm done. Have you got sunfilms done?
Old 4th March 2022, 23:37   #1140
BHPian

Here are the pictures taken in the showroom. Volkswagen Noida. Superb experience. The Polo was bought from them too, so after all research and TDs i called up the GM. I was in Mumbai and he driving to Chandigarh. He offered me a deal ' i couldn't refuse' and everything happened from two different cities since then. A breeze of an experience. I am not putting the delivery ceremony pics since they kinda are overdone, but there I could nt complain. Very personalised. Almost booked the Polo again too, till i got a nudge from the wife !!
Initial experience. The knobs, plastics, dashboard, body build is not what their initial offerings were. Even the rotation of the headlight control knob is so not VW as isn't the adjustable side view mirror knob or the window up/down buttons. Even, the folding key weighs half of what the Polo key does. So they have seriously scaled their own on quality to cut costs. But, still superior to all except the MG Astor about which I had written earlier in Nov during the test drive spree.

An observation, just sometime before dusk, whilst it's bright enough outside the instrument cluster being shaded is dark, so one has to strain to see the readouts barring the speedo and rpm needle (AT, High line). NOW, unlike all cars, here, switching on your parking lights won't light up the instrument cluster. One has to switch on the headlights when they aren't actually needed) for the cluster to be lit up. I thought I had missed something,so-called up the GM. He said that it's a design thing since he drives the same model. This is something that got my goat and i intend to write to VW about making a software tweak to remove this.

The 80kmph chime! Pain. The dealership says they can't (?) do it, but if done as an outside fix, the warranty won't be affected. Advice please for NCR region.

The voice command in the car once paired with apple play, google maps doesn't understand most of the places. And no it's not an accent issue. Does anyone else face the same thing?

Drive wise. No NVH issues. Messed around with the D/S and manual modes, super thrilled. Big smile on my face and the wife. The daughter loves the looks and gizmos. Am happy

Thanks, folks for the advice. Will keep this updated as and when something comes up.

PS: For enthusiasts, the GT badge for the Taigun is available for 1.5-2K and i saw a couple of customer cars who had it fixed. Looks nice, but I like things subtle.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-photo_20220304_224050-2.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-photo_20220304_224050-3.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-photo_20220304_224050.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-photo_20220304_224051.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
Mod Note - Please proofread your posts before submitting, Thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th March 2022 at 21:55. Reason: Typo, spacing.
darthvader5000 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks