Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 07:54   #1186
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Seems Xp95 in chennai is not available at many places.
Exactly. This is the problem. Though I have seen outlets upgrading from XP to XP95, stock does seem to be an issue in my neighborhood. Even the COCOs of IOCL seem to have a bad reputation, going by the google reviews as well as other related threads here on this forum.

Though the fuel lid says min. RON91 the manual says that it is to be used only as emergency and we need to shift to higher RON variant. That's why I asked the previous question on whether someone has used Proctane Evo or STP or any other octane booster with the VAG TSI engines. Carrying a couple of bottles of it might be a blessing when XP95 or any higher RON fuel is not available in the vicinity.

However, at the current fuel prices, a 1% mix of Proctane (100ml for every 10Ltr, +4 RON) will cost an additional Rs.22 per liter (@Rs.1320 for 2x300ml bottles). I could simply get Speed 97 for less than that (Rs.119.67/Ltr the last time I filled with it), though the nearest one for me is in Cathedral road, 5+kms away from my home. Can be done easily when in the city, but for long trips, I am wondering how to manage.

Of course, I have been told here that 91RON works just fine and I should just fill it and forget it but the RON anxiety (it is real! ) is not going away.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 08:50   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Exactly. This is the problem. Though I have seen outlets upgrading from XP to XP95, stock does seem to be an issue in my neighborhood. Even the COCOs of IOCL seem to have a bad reputation, going by the google reviews as well as other related threads here on this forum.

Of course, I have been told here that 91RON works just fine and I should just fill it and forget it but the RON anxiety (it is real! ) is not going away.
Agreed without any second thoughts. I downloaded IOCL app and found few more places where XP95 is available however skeptical on quality of fuel. Curious to know which fuel did VW use for testing the cars. Wow the thought that availability of XP95 will decide my next holiday destination .
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 21:40   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Taigun makes it to the top 3 in the 2022 World Urban Car category! Toyota's Yaris Cross likely to be the winner.

Renault's Kiger drops out.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1696
Size:  37.6 KB
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 22:27   #1189
BHPian

Facing a very weird issue with my Taigun. The non driver side front left speaker is causing crackling on just a little high volume. Anyone else facing this issue?
Old 16th March 2022, 10:18   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW Taigun makes it to the top 3 in the 2022 World Urban Car category! Toyota's Yaris Cross likely to be the winner.

Renault's Kiger drops out.
Totally OT:

Opel is not here anymore but imagining the Opel Mokka launching in India and no one who knows/understands Tamil buying it!! (Mokka = Waste/Useless in Tamil slang)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th March 2022 at 11:01. Reason: Opal > Opel
arvind71181 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 12:44   #1191
BHPian

Midsize SUV of the year - Autocar
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-whatsapp-image-20220316-9.34.18-am.jpeg  

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 20:55   #1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay2612 View Post
I will find a specific route to check this and report on numerical basis for same in coming days.

But i have observed on recent trip (+200Km one way) when AC was maintained at Auto with temperature set at 21-22 the fuel efficiency was coming as expected (~around 17-18 Kmpl on high way run) but with temperature at 21-22 and blower at level-3 i was getting around 15-16 kmpl. There is a significant improvement in cooling levels when moving from Auto mode to manual.

Wanted the communities observations as well, if they have found similar trends.
Yes, fuel efficiency seems to drop when using the manual settings which are required in Chennai for example, where the humidity is already getting unbearable in March without a/c. Getting only 7-8kmpl in my Topline MT 1.0L in the city. Highway performance has been a lot better with up to 18kmpl during Blr-Chennai trips even with a/c.
dhananjay33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 06:38   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhananjay33 View Post
Yes, fuel efficiency seems to drop when using the manual settings which are required in Chennai for example, where the humidity is already getting unbearable in March without a/c. Getting only 7-8kmpl in my Topline MT 1.0L in the city. Highway performance has been a lot better with up to 18kmpl during Blr-Chennai trips even with a/c.
MT should be returning much better FE in city. Is this tank to tank? You may consider changing fuel stations and observe FE over few rides.
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 21:45   #1194
BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to get the DDPAI Z40 GPS for my Taigun. Not planning for a hardwired fuse-tap or a reverse cam as of now. Any thoughts, guidance from the experts/Taigun owners who have installed dashcams in their vehicles on this?
Finally, the post that I wanted to make for a month and yet couldn't get to.

I had ordered the DDPAI Z40 from Amazon on Feb 13th and received it the next day. It took me 2 to 3 days before I could get around to installing it but it was done just a couple of days before my trip to Vellore.

The installation itself was quite simple and straightforward. What was not straight was my body during the process.

Step 1: Found a nice spot right below the Fastag, stuck the static sticker, then exposed the 3M adhesive surface, aligned the camera and voila! It was done.

Step 2: The wiring. The camera package comes with a more than sufficient length of USB cable. Started from the top, used the plastic tool to push the wire underneath the roof lining, all the way to the left side.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220313_142249.jpg

Then, got the wire out towards the door, where I pushed it under the weather stripping all the way down until the glove box.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220313_142255.jpg

I thought I could take the wire beneath and behind the glove box but couldn't really find a place to hold the wire. I also lacked the foresight to get a couple of cable ties.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220313_142308.jpg

So, I somehow managed to stick the wire on the panel to the left of the center console and did some improvisation to hold the USB end using the power adapter.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220313_142237.jpg

I didn't want to hard-wire it, so this arrangement works fine! It doesn't look too out of place and I just need to remember plugging in/out at the beginning/ending of each trip.

One thing I discovered is this power outlet doesn't really cut off when the car is stopped and engine is turned off. It was recording for the entire time the car was parked at my relative's place in Vellore (few hours) and I didn't realize it until I took the SD card out and downloaded the videos.

Here's how it looks from the outside, looking from the side.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220313_142358.jpg

Here is the video clip that I uploaded on to YT. This will give you an idea of the clarity of the camera in daylight operation.

It may not be the best installation, but there is a bit of satisfaction in doing it myself! I will see if I record something during low light or night time drives and post the videos in my ownership review thread!

About the dashcam itself, a few thoughts.

What I liked:

Neat packaging, Quite simple to install.
At the highest setting, very good clarity in videos
Not too conspicuous. Size is pretty compact than what is shown on the product pages in Amazon.
The camera can be detached from it's holder which is stuck to the windshield.
Option to mute the microphone. It was quite good and captured really well some of my rants in the initial runs. Hence muted.

What I didn't like:

Removing the camera from the holder is a breeze. Putting it back in - I am yet to get the knack to do it smoothly.
For some reason, downloading videos from the camera to my phone app via the inbuilt Wi-Fi doesn't seem to work properly. It downloads the whole 3 min video clip but I can't see it in the local folder section of the app.
The clips in the SD are saved as 1min long clips. And at the highest resolution, each clip is 140MB in size. Transferring all the clips from the SD card to my laptop took a long time.

Hope this helps new Taigun owners (and others too) who want to get a decent dashcam for their vehicles!
asmr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 08:31   #1195

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

One more award to the Taigun

"carandbike Awards 2022: Car Of The Year - Volkswagen Taigun"
https://www.carandbike.com/news/cara...taigun-2829319

Last edited by Sheel : 30th March 2022 at 11:07. Reason: Mod note attached.
pustake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 15:40   #1196
BHPian

MidSize SUV Comparison - Autocar India

Taigun is much ahead in outright acceleration, surprisingly more than 0.5 seconds difference with its sibling Kushaq.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot-20220318-3.37.22-pm.png  

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 22:26   #1197
BHPian

Quote:

Have you tried HP power? I tried it once and felt it was good. Am no expert in fuel or car technology. There is a pump near prathap plaza just after kodambakkam Bridge and it seems to be good. Very few cocos available inside city be it BP or IOCL or HP.
Old 19th March 2022, 08:50   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Have you tried HP power? I tried it once and felt it was good. Am no expert in fuel or car technology. There is a pump near prathap plaza just after kodambakkam Bridge and it seems to be good. Very few cocos available inside city be it BP or IOCL or HP.
Coincidentally, I did fill the car up with HP power just a week or so back. I had even posted about it on my ownership thread, where I mentioned a good dip in average mileage shown in the dashboard, after filling with HP power with just city driving. The actual FE will be known only with the next tank full, which I intend to do with XP95.

Now, having bought this car, I am not complaining about overall FE. It is the long term impact of using RON91 on the engine, if any, that I am concerned about.
Old 19th March 2022, 13:44   #1199

hi all,
has anybody gotten the service center to do setup some optional features in the taigun ? like horn sound when lock/unlock and apparently "Dynamic Mode" which the best driving mode in Taigun ?

A bunch of people are going for coding here...but i wonder if the service center guys can do this ?
sandeepss1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 22:28   #1200
BHPian

Has anyone been able to fit an extra light in the dummy slot?

Most Viewed