Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2021, 15:11   #901
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Had a TD of the 1.5 TSI DSG Taigun yesterday. While I haven't driven the new Creta, I have driven the previous gen Creta a fair bit. Most of my observations are benchmarked against that and my Polo GT.

Positives:
- The powertrain is absolutely brilliant. Loads of power throughout the rev range. The DSG seems smoother as well (could be a result of the more powerful engine or improvements in the gearbox itself)
- It definitely is an enthusiastic handler. Turn in is sharp and immediate. The Creta feels 'larger' while the Taigun shrinks around you
- The interior ambience is quite good. Love the integration of the infotainment in the dash and the ambient lighting at night
- I think it's the best 4 seater in the segment. None of the competition are true 5 seaters anyways
- The infotainment feels slick and has a very modern UI
- The headlights have impressive throw. Especially coming from the Polo's pathetic stock units
- The driver seat is pretty low set. Might be a disadvantage if you want a high driving position, but I preferred it

Negatives:
- The roofliner and the interior light switches are nasty. This is being fixed though
- Hate that it drops the one touch windows for all doors like the older VWs
- The boot is not the largest and the loading lip is quite deep
- Should've had height adjustable seat belts

The interior quality (apart from the roofliner) to me didn't feel like a downgrade from the Polo. Its pretty comparable to the Creta but might not be as good as the Astor's soft touch dashboard. The showroom experience at VW's Thane showroom was also great. I walked in late in the evening and at no point was I hurried to leave or asked to come back later.

Overall its a great package and the perfect upgrade path for existing Polo/Vento owners. The mechanicals are sorted and the reported fuel economy figures are just the cherry on the cake for such a powerful car.
thechinmay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 19:48   #902
BHPian

Went over to look at the Taigun, both engines are very good with their respective AT gear box. Sales person is trying to sale hard the 1.0 topline trim over 1.5L GT+ ( which is what I went their to look at).

I wonder if I am the only one who thinks, the red inserts that are found on all but yellow and white GT+ are totally horrible and garish. It's like Ironman broke up and somebody at VW borrowed his broken parts to stick them on to the dash.

I can live with Red ambient lighting but those red chunks of plastic on the otherwise beautiful gray car.. totally not buying it.

Another downer was overall interior. I come from 9+ year ownership of Skoda Yeti.. I feel interiors are a sure downgrade.
samyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 01:01   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post

Another downer was overall interior. I come from 9+ year ownership of Skoda Yeti.. I feel interiors are a sure downgrade.
The Taigun is definitely a step down if you're coming from the Yeti.
You have to remember that the Yeti launched, over 10 years ago, at about the same price range that the Taigun occupies right now.

You'll need to look at the Tiguan as a replacement for the Yeti and even further to the X3/GLC for a true upgrade.
thechinmay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 08:10   #904

Hi everyone,

Just took membership and I'm happy to join you all here after lurking around the forum for a long time.

I took a testdrive of the 1.0 L Highline AT yesterday and absolutely loved it. The engine is quite a performer with near zero lags. Suspension is firm but not harsh and I felt it offers good balance between ride quality and handling. There are some basic features like Keyless entry, Push button start etc missed in this variant which are common in segments below.

I'm considering the cancellation of Sonet Diesel booking that I made three weeks ago. Sonet has more features that could be make life easier as a daily drive car. Although it costs a bit more, Taigun offers a better drive and enjoyment which is crucial when you want to keep the car long term. KIA dealer is not expecting a delivery for next 2 months while VW dealer is promising to deliver within 3 weeks.
nighthawk117 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 14:32   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk117 View Post
I'm considering the cancellation of Sonet Diesel booking that I made three weeks ago. Sonet has more features that could be make life easier as a daily drive car. Although it costs a bit more, Taigun offers a better drive and enjoyment which is crucial when you want to keep the car long term. KIA dealer is not expecting a delivery for next 2 months while VW dealer is promising to deliver within 3 weeks.
Hi there, Sonet while well kitted has poor safety ratings.. I would not go with Sonet at all. I too drove 1.0 AT topline yesterday and just like you found it adequate. I suggest if budget permits go with topline - you will get 6 airbags there.

No lag, I think due to non Turbo engine.. It's a NA engine so unlike 1.5L Turbo one, it gives good pickup at lower end of the spectrum.

Wish you the best with the selection.
Old 27th November 2021, 15:15   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No lag, I think due to non Turbo engine.. It's a NA engine so unlike 1.5L Turbo one, it gives good pickup at lower end of the spectrum.
There are no NA engines on Taigun. Even 1.0 L is a turbo engine.
Guna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 15:20   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
There are no NA engines on Taigun. Even 1.0 L is a turbo engine.
Oh! I was totally mistaken. Thanks for correcting me. So, both of these are turbo engines. Something else that I found - the gearbox in the 1.0AT is a torque converter of the next-gen.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th November 2021 at 19:50. Reason: Formatted for better readability
samyboy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th November 2021, 16:48   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something else that I found - the gearbox in the 1.0AT is a torque converter of the next-gen.
This combination of 1.0 and the TC AT is used in multiple VAG cars Polo, Vento, Rapid) for some time now. While the 1.0 L TSI engine relatively new, I think the AT is not exactly next gen.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th November 2021 at 19:50. Reason: Quoted text edited
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 10:26   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20211127wa0069.jpg

Had a chance to sample both the ATs, that is the 1.0 TSI paired to the AISIN 6-Speed TC and the 1.5 TSI paired to the DQ200 7-speed DSG. Will list my observations down here:

1.5 TSI DSG

- Good low end punch even though DSGs are known to be a tad sluggish in lower gears

- An almost flat torque curve which was very surprising. There's no "pushed back into the seat" feeling when you floor the car or any drama. Power delivery is very quick and all that power is well spread out over the revv range unlike her 3-pot sibling

- Make no mistake though, the 1.5 TSI is fast. Couple the point I mentioned before with the mature suspension setup, and it's very easy to miss that you have reached silly speeds

- DQ200 lived upto all the hype. The GT came equipped with paddles but I decided to let the GB do the math and swap cogs. And it did that job brilliantly. Upshifts and downshifts were both equally quick and the infamous jerks that most people complained of in the previous iterations of this GB were non existent.

- Overall refinement was also very good, though I personally wasn't a fan of the engine note at higher revvs. Won't say it sounds strained (quite the opposite infact), but I somehow prefer the raspy and raw engine note of the 1.0 TSI. It assumes more of a thrum upto 3000rpm which then turns into a muted growl

- Didn't get to sample the ACT (active cylinder technology), but the salesperson was quite enthusiastic in pointing out that the larger 1.5 TSI 4-pot gets better FE than the 1.0 TSI 3-pot due to this very reason

All in all, this engine+GB combo will sure be a USP for the Taigun. VW has got it spot on with mating the dry clutch DSG to their TSI (as always). Having said that, the long term reliability (especially clutch pack and flywheel replacement costs) coupled with the price (around 19.68L OTR here for the GT 1.5 TSI DSG) are dampeners apart from the overall interior quality (will come to that later).

1.0 TSI TC

After sampling the 1.5 TSI, I didn't have high hopes from the 1.0 TSI. I think it's obvious why. Even on paper, the 1.0 TSI (AT especially) is a lot slower comapred to the 1.5 DSG. However, I was in for quite a surprise.

- Bottom end was average as expected. The TC was doing a good job of masking a majority of it though

- Beyond 2000rpm is where the punch lies. After the below average low end, the mid range and the top end feel explosive relatively. This makes the 1.0 TSI feel faster than it actually is. It's an engine which just begs to be driven hard and fast

- I constantly found myself keeping the revvs beyond 2000-2500 rpm at any cost and gunning the car at every given opportunity. The raspy engine note (might not be appreciated by the average Joe) was also keeping me good company through all this

- The 6-speed AISIN TC did its job well, but not as well as the DSG. Shifts were perceptible and sudden throttle inputs were met with a slight delay in downshifting as expected. Having said that, it is butter smooth under low to medium throttle inputs and did a good job of masking the 1.0's turbo lag

- Coming to refinement, I would say it's excellent for a 3-pot. The engine comes to life with minimal vibration and there's not much of a giveaway on the inside that it is a 3 cylinder. Having said that, there's no comparison to her 4-pot sibling here. The 1.5 TSI is definitely better, especially for someone who isn't a fan of the engine being very audible inside as the revvs climb

In conclusion, the 1.0 TSI doesn't feel like a slouch, even in comparison to the 1.5 TSI. However, that's subject to one major factor, the driving style. If you are a sedate driver, the 1.0 TSI's constant demand for throttle inputs won't bode well with you. The turbo lag will further make matters difficult.

The 1.5 TSI on the other hand is an all rounder. It doesn't mind being driven sedately, it doesn't mind being driven hard either. The ACT might also mean you get better fuel economy in the end (if driven sedately that is).

- Coming to the ride and handling, I found the suspension setup to be very competent by segment standards. The Tiagun and Kushaq both use ZF Dampers (Made in China), which I believe should be a step up to the Monroe and Gabriel's used on the Polo/Vento that had several complaints.

- Low speed ride is a touch on the stiffer side (it's not as stiff as my Jetta though). As the speeds increase, most bumps and potholes are dismissed off with a muted thud audible inside the cabin

- Having said that, high speed handling has two minor dampeners. The first is the steering. Make no mistake, it's pinpoint accurate like most of the other VAGs, but it doesn't weigh up all that much. The second is the body roll. Though well controlled, it's not as good as the VAG group sedans one might be used to

- Braking was very reassuring even with drum brakes on the rear axle. The brake pedal feel and overall bite (even after several rounds of hammering on the highway) didn't leave any room for complains

All in all, I feel the suspension setup is actually quite well suited for the 'aam junta'. In the end, ride quality takes precedence over pinpoint accurate, razor sharp handling for most people and the Taigun manages to strike a good balance here.

A few more points about the car itself:

- Overall exterior and paint quality is the same as her Skoda sibling with little to no difference visible

- Interior quality is a notch better than the Kushaq. I found bits like the steering mounted controls and even the quality of leather on the steering to be better than the Kushaq

- Having said that, I won't call it class leading by any means. The Astor takes the lead there. The quality of some plastics on the door pads and even the dash does leave a lot to be desired. The headliner is still the same cheap one used in the Kushaq.

- The only ergonomic flaw in the entire cabin was the touchscreen climatronic console. It sits too low and I found myself constantly glancing down at it to adjust the air con settings.

- The centre armrest and rear ac vent console in both TD cars had developed an extremely annoying rattle. The entire console was shaking and rattling badly over less than ideal roads

- The map light console switches (especially for the rear) felt cheap to touch. They were rock hard and had very poor tactile feedback, though the lights themselves are very cool looking LEDs

In the end, is the Taigun a good car? For someone who values driving dynamics and engine options over everything else, it's an excellent car make no mistake. However, do I think it's good enough to command 19.7L for the top end GT 1.5 TSI DSG here in Vadodara? The answer to that would be a no IMO.

The features on offer, the slightly premium pricing and most importantly the interior fit and finish (or rather the lack of it) are deal breakers in my opinion. The MG Astor has taken the game forward in terms of features and interiors apart from being priced on par with the Taigun. Adding salt to the wound is the fact that VAG brags about 95 percent localisation, yet couldn't really undercut rivals in terms of pricing or outgun them in terms of equipment. An OTR price band of around 11-17L would have been ideal for this car.
vishy76 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 11:18   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

- Coming to the ride and handling, I found the suspension setup to be very competent by segment standards. The Tiagun and Kushaq both use ZF Dampers (Made in China), which I believe should be a step up to the Monroe and Gabriel's used on the Polo/Vento that had several complaints.
Quick question- Isn’t ZF dampers same as Sachs. If yes, I believe the previous Octavia and many other VAGs used to come with that
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 11:23   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Quick question- Isn’t ZF dampers same as Sachs. If yes, I believe the previous Octavia and many other VAGs used to come with that
Correct. Sachs comes under the ZF group I believe. I specified ZF - Made in China because that's what the dampers say on the Kushaq and the Taigun too I am sure.

If you look at the dampers on say the Jetta or Octavia, those will say Sachs - Made in Mexico or Germany and in some cases Turkey as well IIRC. Thanks for bringing this up though. I missed specifying it.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 18:02   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a detailed look at both the Taigun and the Kushaq. Although I had seen both the cars briefly in fly-by visits to the dealership in the early days of launch, I wanted to have an in-depth look, after reading pages and pages of complaints about the interiors of these cars on this forum. So decided to spend 20 minutes each with the Taigun and the Kushaq today. Being a Sunday, showrooms for not crowded especially given all the rains here. A friend is interested in picking one of them and was looking for some reassurance about the interiors.

I started by dropping into the nearby Volkswagen showroom and the first one I saw was a GT 1.5 TSI Manual in Wild Cherry color was on display. In one word, Wow! This car is a looker from the outside, especially this shade. Someone uninitiated about our car market would probably guess this car belongs to the 25 - 30 Lakh segment, just looking at it from the outside. (This particular variant retails at 14.99 ex-showroom).

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im1.jpg

What came as a bit of a let-down was that the headlights were actually halogen and not LED not were there LED DRLs. It felt like VW had intentionally omitted important features in this trim to make sure it does not cannibalize the Topline 1.0 MT which is only 50K cheaper. With a much more powerful imported engine with ACT, the GT Manual is exceptional value in my eyes, had they not dropped the LED headlights, cruise control and a few other key features.

Lifting the bonnet up, it appeared to have medium heft - heavier than the Maruti's and previous generation Hyundais, about as heavy as the Creta/Seltos but significantly lighter than the Compass/Harrier and even my 2020 Thar. The 1.5 TSI engine fits snugly into the Bay, leaving very little open space. This GT manual trim had 16 inch alloys that looked fairly well sized for the car and the alloy pattern was a classic, good-looking one. The doors are of medium build and weight and the "Thunk" is certainly missing although they shot firmly and precisely with a healthy sound. I checked both the front door and the back door, and to me, there did not appear to be significant difference in their weight and heft (My Ecosport which had very heavy front doors but really light rear doors).

As soon as I entered the car, I was welcomed by the nice new car smell that is getting rarer to find these days among some new cars in the market. Mahindra cars, for example, definitely do not have this welcoming nice smell, and instead smell more like tires/rubber.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im2.jpg

I must say the red interior trim is an absolute eyesore. Even on the red car it looked jarring, imagine it is also present on the GT manual grey and silver where it would look absolutely out of place. The only external colors that are spared the ghastly red treatment in the GT Manual are the yellow and white. I really hope VW realizes this quickly and makes them an option/add-on.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im3.jpg

There is a small amount of padding on the doors, which I suspect will not be sufficient on long journeys to rest the elbow comfortably. The Centre arm rest is ergonomically perfect (although has sub-standard finish) - it has a fairly long range of adjustment and set up the perfect height. Overall, the seats were very comfortable and sufficiently firm to ensure that long journeys do not turn into pains in the back. There are hard plastics everywhere, however I did not feel them to be distracting or look cheap. On the other hand, on the Kushaq, the top of the dashboard had a kind of grains that drew attention to the shiny and hard nature of surface. The seat fabric on the Tiguan GT was par for the course - IMO, it did not appear rough or badly stitched by any means. The highline 1.0 trim I saw later had worse cloth fabrics though.

The touchscreen ICS absolutely dominates the front dashboard - very well placed and the display quality was really crisp well . I found the old fashioned, basic speed dials on the GT Manual to be a real disappointment. Hi VW, after all, this is a GT - a driver's car. The owner is going to be looking at the speed and RPM, a lot more than owners of the Dynamic Line cars. At least, give us a hooded high quality dials that the previous generation Jetta or Yeti used to have!

There have been a lot of complaints about the roof liner - Yes it is not very well finished but IMO, it did not appear as shocking as some others pointed out. Maybe I notice roof liners less than the average car buyer does! Would I call it a beautifully finished roof ? Absolutely not. Would I call it distractingly poor quality that would bother me every time I get into the car? I wouldn’t say so.

One disappointing thing though is that even the GT manual trim does not get a sunglass holder on the roof. (The Kushaq Ambition does, BTW). I now popped into the back and the space is absolutely enormous - it is easily the best in segment in terms of legroom and kneeroom and possibly headroom as well. The Centre armrest is at a perfect height and is quite broad. I would say the rear passenger comfort level probably the best in segment for two passengers. Completely agree with others about the backseat not being wide enough for three, but I would much rather seat two in comfort 100% of the time than permanently compromise on their comfort, just because somebody might use a middle seat 10% of the time. The 60-40 split folding rear seats tumble to provide an enormous amount of cargo room - it should be easily possible to squeeze in a bicycle here.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im4.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im5.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im7.jpg

Driver seat ergonomics are spot-on and the seat adjustments available made it possible for me to find a very comfortable driving position very quickly. Visibility is excellent and the steering is an absolute delight to hold - small and chunky with a nice flat bottom. The clutch a soft however I was really surprised at the amount of travel required. Even for me who ears size 11.5 shoes, it was not possible to operate this clutch with the bottom of my heel resting on the floor or only slightly raised, like I used to do on my Ecosport TDCI. I had to take my foot completely off the floor, raise it and then depress the clutch. The gear shifts were very positive and precise, however, the throws are a tad longer than what I would expect. The Polo is the absolute benchmark here - the gear throws on that car were so short and the feedback so positive, I would shift gears juts for the fun of shifting.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im8.jpg

What is absolutely inexcusable is that VW has not provided cruise control on its top GT trim in the manual version. The car cost a full 15 lakhs ex-showroom and close to 19 lakhs on Road. The typical buyer is going to buy this trim for the pleasure of driving and for covering long distances on highways and cruise control is an absolute necessity under those conditions. I have found this feature to be hugely relaxing and strain-reducing, because it allows you to take your foot of the pedal, flex your right feet and give it some rest.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im9.jpg

I then had a looks at some other colors - The yellow looks absolutely stunning as well. If I were buying the GT manual, I would find it hard to choose between Yellow and Red had it not been for the red interior bits on the latter. The yellow GT has dark grey bits in place of the red bits that blend nicely with the rest of the elements and reassure you once again that you are in a VW car. The display car had accessories demonstrating how one could carry a bike on top of the car, but honestly, I would hesitate to mount my bicycle this way, given the level of air resistance that’s likely to cause - I always prefer to mount the bike sideways at the rear of the car. The top end variant in white was next up, and it does have very nice diamond cut alloy wheels, elevating the level of sophistication of the car. The amount of Chrome was a tad too much on this one in my view.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im10.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im11.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im12.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im13.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im14.jpg

I then hopped over to the Skoda showroom next, to have a look at the Kushaq. From the front, the car looks imposing (as comparted to the Taigun which looked more sharp and handsome than imposing). It could easily be mistaken for a Karoq or even a Kodiaq from a distance. The level of heft of the bonnet and doors appeared to be similar tot he Taigun (naturally). The interior of the top end Style trim looked really amazing - the material and the stitching on the seats were fine, and the steering wheel absolutely dazzling, with a two-spoke design and chrome bits that are peppered over it. From a drivers vantage point, I would say, I prefer the interiors of the Kushaq Style Trim over the equivalent Topline trim of the Taigun. However, if you are shopping for the Ambition trim, there’s a fatal flaw - the interior quality takes a nosedive in the ambition mainly because of the cloth used - it is worse than what you would see on the sofas of a low-end teashop. Even on a new car, they looked pathetic and they could be quite uncomfortable, given how rough the surface is, especially if you are wearing shorts and your skin is in contact with the seats. Sitting in the backseat of the top-end style trim of the Kushaq, I was surprised to see a big zipper running down the side of the front seat. It looked completely after-market, I generally don’t see the factory fitted seats with such visible zippers. This means one could probably easily buy the same seat cover and put that on top of the ambition trim and you now have a much nicer interior. The big advantage that the Kushaq offers in the Ambition (middle) trim over the Taigun are the LED headlamps and cruise control. My recommendation to my friend is therefore going to be to go for the Kushaq Ambition with the seat covers from the Style trim - the SA confirmed these were readily available.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im16.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im17.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im18.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im15.jpg

I then had a quick look at the new Octavia, tried pulling open the door of that car after you have been opening and closing the Taigun and the Kushaq's doors, and it seems like you’re suddenly trying to move a mountain! The doors are so heavy ! The interiors of the are far improved over the previous generation and look close to the German flagship benchmarks. However what I found very disappointing with Octavia is the interior space, especially in the backseat, is nowhere as previous generation car that I had been in numerous times as it used to run as the default taxi all over Europe. Headroom also seemed to have suddenly fallen short. They might have done this to differentiate the car from the Superb and maybe start positioning the Superb for the taxi segment. The virtual cockpit of the Octavia is a completely different class altogether when compared to the one on the top-end Tiguan - the resolution and clarity is several notches higher - the simplicity and elegance of this virtual cockpit is simply unmatched and M&M has literally copied it pat down in the XUV 700.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-im19.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 29th November 2021 at 18:27. Reason: Typos
84.monsoon is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 19:10   #913
Senior - BHPian

Interior space in new Octavia is same as previous. I have previous gen and did not find any difference. I guess it’s the feel of less space due to dark roof liner and more contoured seats
Old 28th November 2021, 21:50   #914
BHPian

The lack of virtual cockpit in any variant of the Taigun or Kushaq is a turn off. Any word of this being offered in the future?
Old 28th November 2021, 21:58   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Went over to look at the Taigun, both engines are very good with their respective AT gear box. Sales person is trying to sale hard the 1.0 topline trim over 1.5L GT+ ( which is what I went their to look at).

I wonder if I am the only one who thinks, the red inserts that are found on all but yellow and white GT+ are totally horrible and garish. It's like Ironman broke up and somebody at VW borrowed his broken parts to stick them on to the dash.

I can live with Red ambient lighting but those red chunks of plastic on the otherwise beautiful gray car.. totally not buying it.

Totally on the same page. The red inserts ruined it for me. The Topline doesn't have the red inserts but 20L for a 1.0L doesn't make the most sense.
hashwin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed