Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 15:56   #946
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

I am confused now. Though I am taking a test drive for the new taigun. I have my concerns.

When I drove a Tiguan in 2019 end, I really liked it. The drive, thunk, the audio and dsg gear box. But it was out of budget for me for a 5 seater. Now I want to upgrade from my polo and today when I saw both the vw taigun and polo side by side, length wise I didn't felt taigun to be big but inside there is a lot of leg room, quality of Gt petrol dsg 1.5 Yellow I liked a lot. Roof line is bit pathetic but TBH I don't care. What I felt is the rear door is very light compared to the font. "VW thunk" is missing, it's less.
Hence I am thinking for waiting out. Maybe will look at the new Tiguan, Slavia form Skoda and then decide. I drove a vw polo with pride but somehow this new taigun is not enticing me entirely.. any suggestions from the forum is welcome.
My necessary things in my upgrade are.
1. Leg space and boot space
2. Safety
3. Able to accommodate 5 including the driver (I.e. myself)
4. Premium look and feel
5. Don't want to go away from a vw group after having seen and felt the drive quality, paint and ageless design.
6. The flat bottom steering and the feel of it. Tough open to round one but maybe a vw group.

Open to suggestions guys.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th December 2021 at 05:15. Reason: Typo
Old 6th December 2021, 16:18   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Apparently Taigun sales in Nov 2021 is more than Kushaq.
Taigun 2849 units vs Kushaq 1876 units.

Source: https://www.autopunditz.com/post/ind...-november-2021
The numbers look good for Taigun, TBH i liked the interiors of Taigun better than Kushaq. The materials used or the color of the seats similar to TROC somehow make it look premium than the sibling. Taigun did receive much better booking numbers which might also be the reason.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:46   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baridbej View Post
I am confused now. Though I am taking a test drive for the new taigun. I have my concerns.

My necessary things in my upgrade are.
1. Leg space and boot space
2. Safety
3. Able to accommodate 5 including the driver (I.e. myself)
4. Premium look and feel
5. Don't want to go away from a vw group after having seen and felt the drive quality, paint and ageless design.
6. The flat bottom steering and the feel of it. Tough open to round one but maybe a vw group.

Open to suggestions guys.
I would say take multiple TDs of the Taigun, even we have a polo and you will start liking it. That has been my person opinion. Door heft and some areas of cost cutting are there but still it is one of the best driver's car. In terms of plastic quality and built it is at par with the Koreans.

Else if budget is not a constraint you can wait for Tiguan it is launching tomorrow.
Old 7th December 2021, 10:44   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudno19 View Post
Writing a TEAMBHP post after a good 2-3month break.

I got myself a T-Roc in Sep 2021 (more out of desperation post agonizingly waiting for Tiguan to launch). More on this in T-Roc thread (coming soon).
I have a Jetta 2012 model, Front passenger doors are way heavier than the rear ones. Also do not forget that front doors generally have more surface area than rear ones, thus heavier.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th December 2021 at 12:33. Reason: For readability, please avoid quoting the whole post. Thanks
Metallicar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:29   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Heart said Taigun 1.5 DSG, mind said Compass 1.4 Sport MT or Kushaq 1.5 MT. Went with the heart, but fingers crossed on that gearbox.
Hey, Congrats man. I really hope you have an excellent and long ownership experience with the new vehicle as you did with the Punto.

Finally, after clinging on to my FIATs for the past 12 years, I thought the time has come for me to move on. I am holding back my 12 year old Punto for city runs and my wife will still use it to drive to work. I am planning to let go of the Linea Tjet once the new vehicle is delivered.

I have been looking around since the past couple of weeks for the next car and infact booked an MG Astor 1.4 NA Manual Smart variant. Last week, we went with family and visited showrooms and saw Taigun, Kushaq, Creta, Kia Seltos and MG Hector in flesh. No Test drives. But just to get family to select which they liked the best in terms of looks, sturdiness, seating convenience, boot space, audio and features. Family unanimously voted for Taigun and MG Astor as shortlists. Kushaq came a close 3rd but wifey liked the VW looks than the Skoda and hence it finally boiled down to the two.

Between Astor and Taigun, we had multiple debates and finally decided on the Taigun based on the following arguments
1. MG as a brand itself is new in India and has very thin service network. When we are putting Rs.20 lakhs on a new purchase, my wife was very clear we wanted to put that money on a brand which has been around for longer time and has better service network and proven longevity of their vehicles in Indian roads. Between MG and VW, it was a no brainer.

2. For me, coming from a Linea Tjet, I know 1.5 GT TSI is a very capable petrol engine and is expected to beat the Tjet and I will not be feeling the purchase as a downgrade.

3. The build quality of Taigun is very similar to the Punto and Tjet and that would not be a downgrade as well.

The sales person has scheduled an appointment for Test drive this Friday for the 1.5GT TSI MT version which I intend to take along with family before making the final decision to book the vehicle.

When I saw that you have done the Test drive for Taigun, I was very happy because growing up with a Punto for 2 lakh + kms who else can be a better judge to do the comparison and if there are any cons that you noticed that I should be aware of. Just from your experience of the Taigun Test drive, is there something that you sorely missed from the Punto? Not looking for long answers. Just wanted to get a gist of your perception. Thank you for your help.
gopikb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:45   #951

Hi, I am unable to download the apps through mobile hotspot. It just gives a blank screen. Any insights into this. SA also has no idea, how to download.
Old 7th December 2021, 23:01   #952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Finally, after clinging on to my FIATs for the past 12 years, I thought the time has come for me to move on.

Just from your experience of the Taigun Test drive, is there something that you sorely missed from the Punto? Not looking for long answers. Just wanted to get a gist of your perception. Thank you for your help.
Good choice.

I didn't miss anything when driving the Taigun and feel that the 1.5 TSi is a good upgrade option for us. 1.5 TSi has a better low end and more useable performance than the 1.4 TJet and you should feel right at home with everything about the vehicle.

Only slight letdown is the interior quality (and I was especially disappointed with the grey and dull colour scheme of the Kushaq which reminds me of that in the Punto!), but the Taigun fares better there IMHO. MG does excellent here and the pricing and feature list is brilliant, but didn't appeal to the heart enough to do a TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hey, Congrats man. I really hope you have an excellent and long ownership experience with the new vehicle as you did with the Punto.
I didn't go ahead with the purchase - nothing to do with the vehicle as such, but the Kushaq EPC issues killed the pre-booking enthusiasm. Will reconsider the purchase in March (when my car turns 10!) and the 1.5 TSi options will be the top runners in the shortlist for sure. Looks like issues are resolved and have not really affected the Taigun and also seeing some good reviews from owners on the driving experience as well as FE of this motor. I'm also seeing a few cars on the road these days and really like the styling, especially the rear light bar at night.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 06:57   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Good choice.
I didn't miss anything when driving the Taigun and feel that the 1.5 TSi is a good upgrade option for us. 1.5 TSi has a better low end and more useable performance than the 1.4 TJet and you should feel right at home with everything about the vehicle.
Thank you so much Crazy Driver. Those words of yours gives me higher confidence as I spend my hard earned money. Thank you friend.

Quote:
I didn't go ahead with the purchase
Oh okay. With Slavia around the corner next year, you will have much more options to explore before you invest. All the very best for your hunt.
gopikb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 11:18   #954
Distinguished - BHPian

The delay in getting semiconductors has halted VW's plans of adding a third shift to meet their montly demand. Right now VW is getting 5,500 bookings a month but is only able to produce 3,000 units.

Quote:
Shortage of semiconductors has stalled Skoda Auto Volkswagen India’s (SAVIPL) plans of starting the scheduled third shift at the Chakan factory in Maharashtra even as buyers line up to book four of its freshly launched cars.
Quote:
Ashish Gupta, Brand Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India said, “We are equipped to start the third shift at any time as soon as the supply situation improves. The outlook (on chip supplies) is not very positive and that’s the worrying part because the long term (production) planning stability is missing.”

While bookings for the Taigun currently stand at around 5,500 units a month, Volkswagen is able to supply only 3,000 units of the SUV every month. Customers are asked to wait for up to three months to take possession of the mid-size SUV. There is a waiting period on the Skoda Kushaq as well.

SAVIPL depends completely on allotments of semiconductors made by its German headquarters. VW has had to shut down production at some of its plants globally due to the shortage in chip supply. The peak production capacity, on a three-shift basis at SAVIPL’s Chakan plant is 750-800 cars a day.
The complete details are in the article here.
Old 8th December 2021, 17:29   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Apparently Taigun sales in Nov 2021 is more than Kushaq.
Taigun 2849 units vs Kushaq 1876 units.

Source: https://www.autopunditz.com/post/ind...-november-2021
This is probably to do with the fact the Kushaq has been around for a few months and Taigun a recent launch.

Finally was able to have back to back test drives of all 4 vehicles (Kushaq 1.0/1.5 and Taigun 1.0/1.5)

Things that totally made me feel let down -
1.) Drive quality is very very average, was in the market for a second vehicle after selling my Etios Liva TRD Sportivo but looks like none of these fit the bill in terms of a smooth ride (like a 7 speed 2012 Altis AT petrol or 2012 Jetta Diesel,). Some members on this forum have expressed the same kind of disappointment and happy to go back home in their i20s and balenos.

Maybe old school and not very happy with the Turbo Engines. For the STOP and GO kind of traffic and driving conditions in Mumbai these cars (the AT versions) are a big no in my opinion. It just feels one is constantly trying to push the car forward and suddenly braking. Almost tiring and can get to a feeling " A man on constant sorrow " kind of a feeling.

2.) Gadgets and gizmos are not at all important for me unless they are to do with convenience and safety (like auto open / close trunk , auto up down on all 4 windows) so not going to add to the fact that these twins are nowhere close to the KIA / MG equivalents. But the sound quality for this quality and build of a car is just POOR POOR POOR. Terrible at times.

3.) For city driving just could not feel significant difference in pickup and quality between the 3 pot 1.0 engine and 4 pot 1.5 engine which was the biggest let down. After reading all the reviews and opinions on Team BHP was mentally preparing for the 21 lac plunge but the 1.5 just did not do it for me.

4.) The AC is definitely questionable, a larger 8 year old car was able to cool faster and quieter in the auto setting at 23C then the SKODA/VW twins. In exactly the same conditions.

Some things to look out for prospective buyers -

1.) The VW 1.0 AT drove much better as compared to the SKODA 1.0 AT.
2.) If you prefer a constant REV sound (go for 1.0) the 1.5 is comparatively silent.
3.) The handbrake is short and has a very weird position and with an extended armrest will be irritating for taller people.
4.) DO NOT go by the external size inside leg room is excellent and the best part the HUMP is only about 2 inches so can easily seat a normal weight and heighted 5th person. If optimization of space, look and feel good factor were my criteria would have booked either of these today itself. But the AT drive quality was a complete let down.

But hats off to VW/SKODA to come out with these cars. They are the complete package for someone who is looking to upgrade from the likes of maruti/MnM/Tata/Hyundai and who has not driven AT vehicles with larger engines.

Especially when the market leaders are chickening out and showing no faith in the taste of the Indian Consumer (Toyota/Honda/Maruti).

For others like me wait continues for a better ride.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2021 at 18:32. Reason: Please restrict to two smilies per post. Thanks.
mave547 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 12:05   #956
BHPian

I don't want to raise panic amongst prospective owners but what do you'll think about the Flex-Fuel introduction in the upcoming months? Is the introduction of flex fuel engine going to hamper your car buying decision in any way?

I've read about current engines being able to run on 10% ethanol blend with petrol but any more than this might not be a good thing for the engine.

I also understand that any order passed on by the transportation ministry will have considered the fact that people will still buy non flex-fuel engines untill the time such an order is made mandatory for all automobile manufactures, hence the long term ownership of non flex engine vehicles might not be a concern as such initially. But will this long term ownership come with its own set of challenges in terms of regulations or tax of some kind?
Old 9th December 2021, 12:23   #957

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay2612 View Post
I connected the infotainment to mobile hotspot and downloaded the app. I also downloaded the offline map for local region. After that live location is updated even without internet connection.

Hi, Please help me with APP downloads. After going to the app store, I am unable to download any APP. It just shows a blank screen. Is there something that I am not doing correctly?
Old 9th December 2021, 15:02   #958

Connect infotainment system to WiFi hotspot, vist apps section and within that go to VW app store. You will have to create a profile as well on Infotainment system before that, it will ask for your mail id to do same.

By default there are no apps installed.
Old 9th December 2021, 15:50   #959

Quote:
I connected the infotainment to mobile hotspot and downloaded the app. I also downloaded the offline map for local region. After that live location is updated even without internet connection.
Quote:
Connect infotainment system to WiFi hotspot, vist apps section and within that go to VW app store. You will have to create a profile as well on Infotainment system before that, it will ask for your mail id to do same.

By default there are no apps installed.

Thanks, I will try tonight again. Hope this works. There is a profile created in the system > settings. Let me revisit the whole process.
Old 11th December 2021, 21:09   #960
BHPian

Hey fellow BHPians,

I got my Taigun 1.0L vehicle a week back and have run around 250kms on Shell V-power. I was under the impression that it was a higher octane fuel but apparently its only RON91. Believe the recommendation is RON95.

For my Santro, I used only Speed at BPCL mostly. But I don't remember seeing the Speed 93 or 97 variants specifically being available at my usual station.

So, any recommendations from owners of VAG vehicles on which petrol stations carry that Ron95+ fuel reliably and are trustworthy? Areas I usually drive through are Mylapore, Cathedral road + surrounding areas, Vadapalani, KK Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Guindy, Kotturpuram and OMR stretches until Perungudi.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks