Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 16:41   #1321
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
I think it's brake dust.
Yes, it is brake dust. My car, even after 11 years, leaves brake dust whenever the front wheels are washed. I think it is from the brake pads of disc brakes. I don't see the same coming from the rear brakes as they are drum brakes.
shipnil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 21:44   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenboi View Post
I am now torn between a 1.0L Manual and a 1.0L Automatic transmission.
The perpetual dilemma.
Only car in the house? (Or may remain the only car in the future) Auto

Never owned a Manual? (which will be a dying breed in metros in a few years) Manual

Driving limited to relatively empty roads? Manual

Will be driven by non enthusiasts as well? Auto

Easy for me to write and I can go on but I'm sure more than one scenario applies to you

Get the Auto IMO, the AT masks the turbo lag well, you won't be left wanting for more. Being a torque converter, should be very reliable in the long run. The city roads aren't going to get any better to drive on atleast in the next 10 years. You'll thank yourself for getting the Auto. Your highway drives will be less demanding as well.
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:43   #1323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. There's a self of me who is sad not to have owned and driven a manual car ever. Buying a manual, keeping it as a classic, maintaining the man-machine connection. It prefers the engagement required for driving a stick and the control it offers. Buying an automatic almost feels like the end of an era to this self.
Don't worry - since you haven't owned and maintained MT cars yet - you aren't really going to miss anything too painfully. Remember - in a matter of a decade or so (or maybe less?!) - anyway mainstream cars seem to be going away from ICEs, taking away the stick altogether. EVs or whatever else that comes - will be automatics in all likelihood. So its better that you go for the AT and join that trend early like most others. If you live in a metro and bulk of your travels are in the traffic jammed areas - AT is a no brainer.

As for keeping the car for long - trust me - none of the cars available right now in our average Joe budgets are worthy of becoming a classic ever (including the ones I own and the one you have finalized, no offence). So - go ahead and opt for that convenient AT is what I'd suggest. Good luck towards your 1st car ownership. Cheers.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 14:44   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I am now torn between a 1.0L Manual and a 1.0L Automatic transmission.
For a 1.5L, I would've recommended manual. But for the 1.0L, there are a few factors that tilts it towards the automatic

1. Low end lag of the engine, it's a 1L, what do you expect?
2. The relatively longer travel of the clutch pedal, and the clutch is also not Hyundai levels light
3. The Aisin 6 speed gearbox is known to be reliable, and VW have tuned it well for the engine.

My recommendation: go with the automatic.
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 15:21   #1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
So - go ahead and opt for that convenient AT is what I'd suggest. Good luck towards your 1st car ownership. Cheers.
Thanks for replying Mr Reinhard. I follow your writing and advice on the forum.

If I may ask, what made you choose a manual over an automatic when you bought your last car?
Old 16th May 2022, 16:05   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for replying Mr Reinhard. I follow your writing and advice on the forum.
If I may ask, what made you choose a manual over an automatic when you bought your last car?
Hey good afternoon. I have always loved the charm of shifting gears. I'm one of those who will weep for some days when these old-school engineering marvels called manual gearboxes will go into sunset. I don't drive much fast, but I enjoy timing a gear-shift well. So MT makes sense for me as long as the knee doesn't collapse. Then - the car I liked is the Nexon diesel. The AT option on it is an AMT. No way I was buying that, so MT it had to be. Had a TCAT been on offer - maybe things would have been different, who knows!

That said - do note that I also have an AMT in the garage that I use like a scooter. When I know I'm going to get stuck in traffic or go through the most congested places of the city - I always take this go-cart like little car out, not the Nexon. I can easily note that I take out the Alto AMT far more often to go deep into the city, than I did the MT Vista in past. So - AT does make a big difference in daily use.

To simplify my perspective - if I were out buying my FIRST car right now and it was to be the single car in my parking - I'd definitely pick an AT over an MT. The practicality outweighs everything by quite a margin. If I was buying any of Slavia-Kushaq-Virtus-Taigun - I am more than sure that I'd buy the automatic (but the 1.5 DSG ones, for the sheer fun factor ).

In fact - the way things are - my garage is now set for quite some time & highly possible that my next car might be an EV directly. If not - it will only be if I take a whimsical (and outwardly stupid) decision of buying a Thar. And then - I already know that it will be a Diesel AT Thar. Not MT. (Its the last chance to own a proper diesel Jeep afterall...)

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th May 2022 at 16:15.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 18:01   #1327

I had the same dilemma when I bought my Taigun. But after driving it I came to realise what I was missing out on. I drive the City which is fun on the highways but in cities it becomes a pain with constant juggling with clutch and shift stick. Go with the AMT, convenient and easy. If you really want to experience the manual shifts you can always go into the manual mode.
abiswas27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 19:23   #1328

I am excited to take delivery of my Taigun 1.5 GT+ this week, and I am looking forward to doing the coding myself. I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone done coding here who can help me with it?
2. Is it possible to do them with OBDEleven, or do we need VCDS cable?

Looking to code the following, any other suggestions?
  1. Antitheft alarm
  2. Offroad mode on ICE
  3. Performance mode on ICE
  4. Remove 80 Kmph Speed Alarm
  5. Lane Change clicks to 5 blinks
  6. AC fan Display in Auto Mode
  7. Steering Angle display on Virtual Cockpit
  8. Rear Side Lights blinking with the Indicators
  9. Refill quantity option
  10. Lock/Unlock Confirmation sounds
  11. Improved Torque Vectoring with XDS
  12. Improved Steering feel and Throttle Response with Dynamic mode
Thanks!
theexpert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 08:41   #1329

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to buy to my first car in the next few weeks. Having zeroed down on the Taigun, I am now torn between a 1.0L Manual and a 1.0L Automatic transmission.
You should test drive both of them. Since you would not be using it in bumper-to-bumper city traffic, and you always wanted to own a manual, then the manual would be the better option.

On the odd days that you use it for an office commute and get stuck in traffic, driving a manual isn't even that hard or tiring. My father who is in his late forties uses a 5-speed Ertiga to commute from Noida to Delhi.

Is an automatic more convenient? Yes
Can it ever be as engaging as a manual? Never
Can the AT be faster? Yes

But the engagement and the connection you get with a manual transcends 0-100 times.

Even if you drive the car 10 years later you would still feel satisfied with your purchase since your heart would be content.
parrymx5 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:27   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Would be good to know if anyone can relate and had similar thoughts at the time of finalising your car, and finally, what did you decide on ?
I would any day recommend the automatic simply for convenience. Now that the 1.0TSI loses the DSG, the automatic transmission has become much more desirable. I'm sure in the long run you'll come to appreciate the automatic over the manual. The excitement of driving a manual lasts for a month, and after that convenience takes the front seat. Good luck!
Old 17th May 2022, 22:09   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexpert View Post
I am excited to take delivery of my Taigun 1.5 GT+ this week, and I am looking forward to doing the coding myself. I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone done coding here who can help me with it?
2. Is it possible to do them with OBDEleven, or do we need VCDS cable?

Thanks!
Would definitely not recommend coding all by yourself. I've got mine coded through a guy who is an expert in this and would suggest you do the same. Keep in mind, if anything goes wrong from your side and you end up damaging the BCM, nothing is covered under warranty!
Atharva14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 18:57   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Quick update on the mileage figures of my 1.0 MT mini-Tiguan:

While I was able to record the highest mileage of 23 kmpl when I went from Gurgaon to CP at 8:30 AM on a Monday (with AC of course, and maintaining a speed of 70-80 kmph on the highway, and then 60 kmph in Delhi roads)

Lowest of 13.5 kmpl, when I went from Gurgaon to North campus (during peak Karol Bagh traffic hours in the afternoon) and back (close to 70 kms).

With everyone driving it on regular days, it returns 12-14 kmpl, which is fair enough.
I had a chat with an owner of Taigun 1.0 AT while waiting in the lounge of ASC. This gentleman was furious that his car was only returning 5kmpl and he was there to get it checked for the low fuel economy.
TDIRaghav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 20:15   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIRaghav View Post
I had a chat with an owner of Taigun 1.0 AT while waiting in the lounge of ASC. This gentleman was furious that his car was only returning 5kmpl and he was there to get it checked for the low fuel economy.
My friends have 1.0 TSi AT Polo and Kushaq. Both of them get 10+ kmpl in city and highway.
Old 18th May 2022, 21:08   #1334

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on Team-BHP. I recently bought the Volkswagen Taigun 1.5 GT in its manual guise. Have done about 1200kms in a couple of weeks since delivery. I have tried to capture my buying decision and experiences so far with the Taigun GT MT here.

Buying Decision:

To be honest, I didn’t look beyond the VW family when I started to look for a replacement for my 5-year-old 1.2 MPI Polo Highline. That little fellow (Polo) though had a smaller heart, always punched above its weight. In fact, it would bleed its heart out when required to keep me entertained while I pushed it to its limits. It required everything from that little fellow to compete with bigger cars which I always did. And compete it did, without complaining once. We had fun whenever we were together. Except for the outright performance, I liked and cherished every bit the car had to offer such as the precise steering, high-speed stability, good drive-ability, and above all its reliability. Haven’t had a single incident in all my years of ownership. I thought I will never depart with this little wonder. But life had other plans. With the kid entering the scene, I wanted something bigger, more spacious, and of course a solid performer!

I had only two options:

VW Vento

I thought the Vento 1.0tsi would be a substantial upgrade for me coming from the 1.2 Polo. But one test drive was enough to tell me that it's ditto to my existing Polo at least from the inside. Yes, the heart was bigger but everything else the same. I felt I would soon outgrow the love for the peppy engine and be bored by similar interior elements. And so my search for the replacement continued.

VW Taigun

From the day, VW officially launched the Taigun twins I was smitten by the looks of them. I liked the 1.5 tsi engine better from the beginning but knew for sure if at all I can buy one that would be the smaller yet potent one with a 1.0 tsi. I started reading and watching a lot of reviews of the cars. While a dozen of them were all praise for the German mile munchers, some were pointing fingers at the evident cost-cutting in the Taigun twins. I was a little hesitant to take the plunge because of the reported drop in quality. After what sounded like ages, I decided to just pay a visit to the VW dealer in Madurai convincing myself that I was not gonna sell the Polo or buy the Taigun but just check out the new Taigun twins. But one look at the Taigun in flesh is all it took to make me feel weak on my knees. I fell for the car at that moment. I knew then and there that my camaraderie with the little Polo will have to end now. Adding fuel to my fire, the missus was sold on Taigun too, and insisted we get it somehow. In a way, I was glad that I now have someone else to blame.

Test Drive Experience

So off we went for test rides on both the 1.0 automatic and 1.5. DSG. Somehow the manuals weren’t available. I was mighty impressed with both of the motors coming from a humble 1.2 MPI. I was grinning from ear to ear throughout the rides. While the 1.0 tsi begged to be driven hard, the 1.5 tsi was all about effortless performance. I immediately liked how the 1.5 tsi pulled past 100kmph. Effortless is the word for 1.5 tsi. Though I would have liked a bit more heft in the steering wheel at higher speeds, still it felt just about enough to give you the confidence to push it hard around corners. The highway stability at triple-digit speeds was immaculate. The added weight in the 1.5tsi variant made the steering feel a bit more heavy which I liked. As always, after the test drive, the salesman was ready with quotes and discounts. He offered meaty discounts for the 2021 1.0 tsi Highline Automatic. The offer was so tempting that I was convinced to take it. But at the back of my mind, I was thinking about the 1.5tsi. Keeping in mind that probably I will keep the car for the next 7-8 years. Which also coincides with my prime driving age. I thought I would just give the 1.5tsi Manual a try. The salesperson agreed to bring a 1.5 tsi test mule in its manual guise in a couple of days. So we left the showroom. On the return journey, I was kind of sad that my journey with my ever so reliable Polo has to end soon. I gave the leather steering and the plastic armrest a gentle squeeze as if to assure the car that I wasn’t parting anytime soon. The connection was just too strong for me. Machines indeed do become a part of us, don’t they?.

But there was no way (Financially) for me to keep Polo and get the Taigun. So I had to make the hard decision if I wanted an upgrade.

A couple of days later, on one Sunday morning, I called the salesman about the 1.5 gt mt test mule and he told me that the 1.5 gt mt was on a trip to a nearby city and that it will only come in the evening making it hard for them to bring in the evening. So he asked for one more day’s time. As eager as I was, I decided to visit the showroom in the evening by myself. Off I went and reached the showroom premises sharp around 4 pm. The 1.5 GT MT hadn’t arrived yet, the salesperson told me that it will take about an hour for the car to come till then I can test drive the 1.0 topline Automatic to my heart's content. The showroom is situated on a highway so I jumped at the opportunity. The plan was to meet the guy with the 1.5 GT MT on the way. So off we went. The convenience of an automatic is unmatched. Though I have hardly driven automatic cars, it was a seamless transition. The gear shifts were almost unnoticed and the bottom end lag was very much under control. The ride quality was fantastic. It's only on really bad roads the thuds from potholes and unduly road connections were passed on to the cabin. The car reached triple-digit speeds in no time. It was relatively quieter for a 3-cylinder unit. The paddle shifters worked well. And it became an instant addiction. The only downside was that post the 120kmph mark, the car felt a little strained in D mode. Only a little though unlike my 3 pot 1.2 polo. Handling was good but still not perfect like my Polo. Maybe it's gotta do with the lighter steering feel. I may be wrong here. Mileage was a concern for me since the MID showed mileage in single digits for our trip thus far. When checked with the sales guy, he assured 12-13 in the city and 17 on the highway if we drove sanely. I nodded in disbelief.

We finally met the guy with the 1.5 GT MT and we switched cars. The bare bone feeling was evident the moment I stepped into the car. No sunroof, no cruise control, no digital cockpit, and no push-button start. Only driver side one touch up. All four sides one touch up which even my 5-year-old Polo had felt like a luxury. I just reminded myself that if I wanted the 1.5tsi engine, then this is the variant I can afford and so I quietened all the other thoughts and gave the key a twist to fire up the car. The clutch was a little awkwardly placed for my liking. The biting point was a little tricky to find but got used to it rather quickly. The car lurched forward to about 10kmph when I let go of my foot from the clutch. I switched to second and gently pressed the A pedal, the car was easily doing 40kmph. Switched to third at 50kmph and floored the Pedal, boy o boy, now that's a feeling I have missed in my earlier cars. The thrust from 150 horses and 250nm torque was something to experience. Post the 100kmph mark, this mad machine was relentless in the way it pulled all the way up to unmentionable speeds. I was totally impressed with the performance of the car. At that moment, I decided that no matter what I’m getting that car. That's when I decided to buy the 1.5GT MT. Yes, the car was bare bone when it came to the features, no bells nor whistles. But the way it drove, it tugged at my heart. And so I got out completely satisfied from the test drive. While I was very impressed, I didn’t let the sales guy get any ideas. Which I thought might become a hindrance while negotiating deals.

I just asked him for a final quote for the car.

He informed me that they had a 2021 White GT MT. And that they can deliver in a week. I wasn’t ready to take the delivery in a week. Asked him anyway to work out a quote with their best pricing. He offered a good exchange price for my polo as well and came up with a deal too good to refuse for the 1.5GT MT. I asked him for a couple of days' time and left.

Sealing the deal

Within a couple of days, I asked them to bring the car to my house which is about an hour-long journey from the showroom. They obliged and came all the way. Took another test drive with my in-laws. They all liked it. Negotiated the final deal and booked the car that day. They promised to deliver the car in a week's time.

With everything being finalized, I was asked to hand over my Polo a couple of days before delivery. I asked them if I could hand over the car when I come to do the PDI for the new car. They obliged. And so I took my best buddy Polo for one final ride. It was a day when I experienced joy and misery at the same time. Together we had fun one last time. I never got disappointed with this little buddy of mine. I recorded a nice tribute. I told myself that Polo always enabled me to get bigger things in life. Now it has sacrificed itself for me to get the bigger brother. With that exact thought, I entered the showroom and my eyes caught hold of a White Taigun in all its glory under the afternoon sunlight. Immediately I knew in my mind that the one there had to be my new ride. Just called the sales guy and asked if that was the one to which he confirmed. Parked my little Polo next to the big guy and clicked the pictures. It is when I realized that in fact, Taigun is in a way what Polo would look like if it evolved. There were so many similarities. From the bumper to the way headlights were laid out, everything was so much similar at least to my eyes. Literally, I felt my polo just got evolved.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-013440de62e143079fc2a15c610a14d9.jpeg

PDI

Referred to Team-bhp’s PDI guide and followed it step by step. It had run about 150 km since they had to bring this from another city in the state. The trip meter and the driving data showed the exact numbers too. So I was convinced. I sat in the car for some time. Taking in all the feeling of newness as well as I can. Took pictures as well just in case I missed noticing anything. It's only after I hopped onto my new car I felt a little relieved about letting go of my Polo. This was for me after all an evolved Polo. With that, I handed over my car to the guys at the showroom and asked them to use the cover and sell it to someone who would take care of the car well. I walked away quickly to avoid getting any more emotional. I signed some papers and made the payment and left for the day.

Delivery Experience

Since I had to take my 1-month-old child, I told them I wanted no formalities done at the time of delivery and asked them to complete the delivery process in under 30 minutes at max. They were up for that. On the delivery day (April 26, 2022), they gave me a call around noon to inform me that my car was registered and that the Wheel hub needs to be replaced as part of some precautionary campaign. I was spooked at first but read some posts on team bhp’s Kushaq ownership forum and made up my mind and gave them the go-ahead. They informed me that they also changed the door beading. I was okay as long as I was getting a trouble-free car.

With everything getting done, they asked me to come around 5:30 in the evening. We hopped onto our in-law’s 1,30,000 km driven Xylo and reached the showroom around 5:15 pm. Finished some more paper works and without any hoopla, they handed me the keys with just a picture and a sweet box. I thanked the salesman who put in all the effort and promised to take him for lunch or dinner sometime and left.

Early Impressions

One thing that I haven’t noticed in all the test drives thus far is the fact that this car was very smooth. It made absolutely no noise while idling. The start/stop function was a little annoying though as it stalled the car even while trying to cross speed breakers. I turned it off immediately. Rest was just glorious. The ride quality was something we liked immediately. It was very quite over the annoying rumble strips. Though the distance to empty showed 180kms, I filled up fuel within 10 km. The car was easily doing speeds of 90-100 kmph. With the infant in the car I had to moderate the throttle now and then to keep it under 80 kmph. It was a struggle. The car pulled neatly from as low as 1200RPM in any gear. I just slotted to 3rd gear around barricades and the car picked up pace gently from there. I realized that it was an effortless car after all. It didn’t require too many gear shifts. Which I liked very much. Thumps up for the drivability. On speed breakers, you can easily sit on 2nd gear and getaway. I will try to note down my likes and dislikes. Please read them with the hint that these are early impressions and are subject to change.

* The butter smooth and very punchy 1.5 TSI EVO motor. Effortless performance. It is a delight.
* Impeccable ride quality. Takes everything in its stride. Only on really bad roads do you hear the thud inside.
* High-speed stability and poise. It almost matched up to my erstwhile buddy Polo here.
* Drivability. Just try the 1.5 manual once you will understand what I’m talking about.
* Build quality. The doors and boot are heavy and shut with a thud. That's reassuring of the VW’s top-class build quality I guess.
* Hill assist, a bonus feature is very useful on sharp inclines and ramps when we accidentally stall the car. I guess VW forgot about this feature in 1.5 GT MT else they would have removed this as well.
* Economy seems good if we drive sanely.
* Legroom for the rear passengers. It's enormous for someone coming from Polo.
* The red ambient lighting is very appealing at night.

Dislikes

* The faulty one touch up driver side button. It has a mind on its own.
* The switches on the doors are slightly flimsy.
* Roof liner quality isn’t very great.
* No cruise control. That was a lifesaver on long boring flats.
* No remote-operated window roll up and down unlike my Polo. That was a bragging right we VW owners had.
* The door panel squeaks when going over bad roads.

That’s it for now. I will try to update the thread on my ownership experience as I munch on more miles in the coming days. Cheers.

Here are some pics of my Carl Matthaus

Volkswagen Taigun Review-ada01a0c381a4fc3b4308caa9902fbc0.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-5232d06a9ab248a4bc6968a3ad7e1787.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-e53fd1e6862947c4a21d017cf9d779f6.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-50ee88b18bfd41e38da4d62f9a831327.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-cb851aaf2a5d487982716afa8fc3d84b.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-a9b92ea62da44e9098871564699db3ff.jpeg
Petronius is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 21:27   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIRaghav View Post
It depends on how much he has driven the new car. I own a 1.0 AT and I saw pretty low mileage (not as low as 5, but around 7 I think) for the first 200kms or so. On an average, it gives only ~10Kmpl with a equal mix of city and highway driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks