Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:37   #1561

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Does anyone know which after market engine oil is recommended for Taigun ? Are the service centers using VW 508 or 509 oils ?

some people are saying 5w40 API SN Plus for Indian conditions. Others are saying that it is 0w20 API SN which pretty much all cars (kia, etc) have been using since BS6

would really appreciate any comments here. i think if there is some information from kushaq side, that will also be relevant.
Old 25th October 2022, 18:45   #1562
BHPian

1. Just wanted to post an interesting update. During my weekend trip to Madurai, I did not get any RON95 fuel. The bunks near my place were not having XP95. And I didn't have the mind to go out of the way to get Speed 97. The nearby BPCL outlet didn't have standard Speed too. The same was true for Madurai.

So this entire trip saw me refill my car with normal petrol from BPCL. I was dreading the performance & mileage drop. I couldn't have been wrong.

5 people - 3 adults, 2 children (9+ yrs). 3 suitcases, 3 bags. Tyres set to 38(F) and 42(R).

I got an average mileage of 17.7Kmpl on the onward journey. On the return journey, thanks to the wide open, empty stretches from Madurai to Trichy, a steady 80-85Kmph cruise saw my car touch 20+Kmpl for real! Here's a screenshot taken after driving 110km from our hotel in the southern end of Madurai.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20221025wa0002.jpg

I had even driven to Vaigai dam on Sunday through 2 lane highways, with good bit of traffic and I was able to see 15+Kmpl on the instrument panel. The car was not sluggish but the "pep" you get with RON95 was missing surely.

Just thought I will post this here, since I have been telling people to stick to RON95 petrol. I think it is still the recommendation, but on long trips, where RON95 petrol might not be available, I think we should be fine with good quality normal petrol IF mostly running on highways.

2. Also, since these are connected topics, I would like to bring the question up that I had asked several months ago. If anyone has had any luck with octane boosters in their Taiguns, I would request them to share their experience here.

3. During this drive, I did face one issue. The steering wheel, when centered (visually, aligning to the side stalks) saw the vehicle drift to the left. I then started noticing that I had to hold the steering 2 or 3 degs turned to the right to keep the vehicle straight. Is this the same as the left drag issue that people have been complaining about? or Something that got to do with wheel alignment? I had checked the tyre pressures and they were fine. Any guidance would be appreciated.
asmr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 21:17   #1563

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
1. Just wanted to post an interesting update. During my weekend trip to Madurai, I did not get any RON95 fuel. The bunks near my place were not having XP95. And I didn't have the mind to go out of the way to get Speed 97. The nearby BPCL outlet didn't have standard Speed too. The same was true for Madurai.

So this entire trip saw me refill my car with normal petrol from BPCL. I was dreading the performance & mileage drop. I couldn't have been wrong.
Yes, there's almost NO 95RON fuel pumps here in Madurai (though I've seen advertisements of it here, haven't seen an actual pump yet). But ever since I got my Taigun delivered (1.0 Topline MT), I have only been using regular fuel (91RON) and never have we filled anything else.

Mileage on the city hovers around 12-14km/l with AC, which is pretty good for me. On highways, it's around 15-17, as we love to rev it hard when we find empty long stretches.

By the way, we went to my dad's native for a visit today, and the roads were almost deserted, so we did some triple-digits (100-120kmph, though cruised at 90-ish when the road had other vehicles), and after the 60km to-and-fro run, the mileage was 15.7km/l on the display.
MismatchD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 09:00   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
5 people - 3 adults, 2 children (9+ yrs). 3 suitcases, 3 bags. Tyres set to 38(F) and 42(R).
Hello,

Do you frequently set your tyre pressure that high? I maintain mine at 33 PSI all round. Am I doing it wrong? Could you please elaborate?

Regards.
Old 27th October 2022, 17:44   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
Hello,

Do you frequently set your tyre pressure that high? I maintain mine at 33 PSI all round. Am I doing it wrong? Could you please elaborate?

Regards.
My tyres are usually set to 36 when I am doing office commutes where I am the only person in the car most of the time. Only this long trip with full cabin, I set the tyre pressures to these figures.
Old 28th October 2022, 13:36   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepss1980 View Post
Does anyone know which after market engine oil is recommended for Taigun ? Are the service centers using VW 508 or 509 oils ?

some people are saying 5w40 API SN Plus for Indian conditions. Others are saying that it is 0w20 API SN which pretty much all cars (kia, etc) have been using since BS6
I am sharing a screenshot from e-owners-manual of Skoda Kushaq and it mentions using 0W-30 (VW 504 00, ACEA C3 and API SP). Using oils which don't confirm to API SP standards may increase the carbon deposits on the intake valves of these TSI engines.

Name:  2E454720F5994BB5819E3DDB7A2D1BAF.jpeg
Views: 1477
Size:  70.5 KB

Regards
Ranvir

Last edited by Rambo-RS : 28th October 2022 at 13:42.
Old 29th October 2022, 09:34   #1567
BHPian

Test drove both the 1.0L Automatic and the 1.5L GT Manual trims of the Taigun last weekend. I drive a 2016 S-Cross 1.3L MJD.

The ride and handling of both versions of the Taigun felt very similar. The European firmness at low speeds was there but I can't really complain. The handling, though good, certainly felt like improvement from the S-Cross, but not a substantial one. I didn't really get to test it too much either at high speeds or on any challenging curves though.

The heart of the matter is, however, the engine.

The 1-litre engine has a bit of turbo lag. But when the turbo spools, there is quite a sprightly push forwards, and the power seems to hang around. It is exciting. There is nothing to complain about with the torque converter. The lag too isn't particularly annoying.

The 1.5L engine, on the other hand, is an engine with class and finesse, but no pomp and show. The turbo lag is very well veiled and there’s always more power on offer than you need. For a turbocharged engine, the low range power is very impressive and the power delivery is almost linear. It feels luxurious. It yields to any demand without complaint. But it does not offer the lag-boost excitement.

Some reviewers have complained of the clutch being heavy. From my limited experience, it certainly is not! It does have a weird motion though. There seem to be two stages- one until and just past the biting point, and a second thereafter when it almost collapses freely to the floor. There is much more travel after the biting point than you’d like. I found it easy to adjust for these issues by pushing the seat a little further back, because you’ll never need to depress the clutch fully to the floor anyway.

The manual gearbox is good. Short throws, slots effectively.

On both cars, the steering feels a little lighter than comfortable and also lacks a little feedback.

The experience of the test drive was interesting. I called up Volkswagen Mount Road - Sundaram Motors and told them that I’m not from Chennai and so may not make a booking there. (I was only there on a trip for a few days.) Despite this, they were welcoming and keen to offer the test drive. They also said they could register the car temporarily in Chennai and that they could deliver it to me in Chennai only for me to get it registered in Bengaluru.

We’d scheduled 1500, but the SA called and said the car wouldn’t be available then. He asked me to come between 1530 and 1600 and suggested that 1600 would be better. So I went at 1600. The SA informed me that the car would arrive soon. So I spent some time looking at the Taigun GT display vehicle.

The delay in the test drive car arriving turned out to be a good thing because I spent a lot of time looking at the display vehicle which was an unbooked vehicle ready for delivery. The rubber beading on the b-pillar on the right side wasn’t properly nestled into place and was deformed. Resultantly, the driver’s door wouldn’t open and shut without some force.

How did this vehicle even pass QC?

45 minutes in, the test drive vehicle hadn’t come. So the SA offered me a test drive or the 1.0L automatic. That’s how I got to drive both.
naadopaasaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 13:53   #1568

Hello everyone. First post!

I've been looking at the Taigun 1.5 GT Plus as an upgrade from our 8yr old Vento TSI and found it tad annoying that the 1.5 GT Plus model skipped out on the Ventilated seats. But it seems now VW has come to its senses by bringing Ventilated seats to the 1.5 GT Plus model according to this link (scroll down to the price section):

https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/mode...ic%2BDSG%22%7D

It also shows up as an option for Book Online on the website so I feel confident that Ventilated seats are now finally available for real on the 1.5 GT Plus and isn't just an enthusiatic webmaster with wishful thinking.

But as per the description on the webpage it also seems that VW is dropping the folding ORVM while offering Ventilated Seats and at the same time charging Rs.25000 more!

I don't understand this "price increase with feature substitution" approach
Old 30th October 2022, 15:34   #1569

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajahSaheb View Post
Hello everyone. First post!
...it seems now VW has come to its senses by bringing Ventilated seats to the 1.5 GT Plus model according to this link...

...as per the description on the webpage it also seems that VW is dropping the folding ORVM while offering Ventilated Seats and at the same time charging Rs.25000 more!

I don't understand this "price increase with feature substitution" approach
Welcome to the forum! It's good to know that VW's finally giving ventilated seats to the GT Plus variant, but still dumbstruck to see them remove Auto-ORVMs from it, albeit charging a higher price!

Anyways, if you get this variant, you can probably ask the dealer to retrofit Auto-ORVMs back to the car, if you need them. They cost Rs. 15,000 (May vary per dealer) additionally, which is bothersome, especially when someone buys an already overpriced car.

Or, if you don't need that sweet and peppy 1.5L and would have a pretty good 1.0L engine, the Topline variant has all bells and whistles for a lower price, including Auto-ORVMs and Ventilated seats.
MismatchD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 01:51   #1570
BHPian

Hi BHPian Malyaj,

Congratulations and hope you got the delivery.

It would be really helpful if you could let me know the dealer name/area. I’ve narrowed down on the 1.0 Taigun/Kushaq AT mid variant after test driving quite a few and feedback from various sources. The best offer I received for the Highline AT is 18.01 from palace cross. Will waiting till December be a wise thing to do?

Also, would it make sense to take insurance from acko/etc or from the showroom itself?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Aashikf1
Old 31st October 2022, 12:55   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The steering wheel, when centered (visually, aligning to the side stalks) saw the vehicle drift to the left. I then started noticing that I had to hold the steering 2 or 3 degs turned to the right to keep the vehicle straight. Is this the same as the left drag issue that people have been complaining about? or Something that got to do with wheel alignment? I had checked the tyre pressures and they were fine. Any guidance would be appreciated.
If this is happening on a road which is raised at the center and slight slope on the sides (typical of undivided roads), it is a normal thing. But in these cases you can feel the car pulling to left (not just the visual misalignment). It could be a case of the steering wheel which is aligned misaligned (doesn't affect driving and can be easily fixed)
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 18:32   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
We booked the Taigun AT (Highline variant, Cherry Red) last evening. The decision was not swayed by GNCAP results as we had more or less decided to go ahead earlier itself. However this is definitely a positive news for us. I am not sure if the 2 airbags gives us the full benefit of 5 stars, but still happy.

Expecting delivery on 24th of this month. Dark Grey and White were available immediately, but we were keen on the red. Final cost came to Rs 17.59 L OTR Bangalore after all discounts. 4 years service package is complimentary. The decision in favour of Taigun over Kushaq was mainly on account of delivery period. Kushaq mid variant (Ambition) is not available for the next 3 months for some reason. Moreover, the VW showroom cum service centre is walking distance from my house, otherwise I was quite ok with either.

A welcome downgrade in the new batches is the manual AC controls, as the touch panel was very bothersome for me.

Sorry. Teething issues and I forgot add the quote in my reply :(

Hi BHPian Malyaj,

It would be really helpful if you could let me know the dealer name/area. I’ve narrowed down on the 1.0 Taigun/Kushaq AT mid variant after test driving quite a few and feedback from various sources. The best offer I received for the Highline AT is 18.01 from palace cross. Will waiting till December be a wise thing to do?

Also, would it make sense to take insurance from acko/etc or from the showroom itself?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Old 31st October 2022, 23:16   #1573
BHPian

Quote:

I got an average mileage of 17.7Kmpl on the onward journey. On the return journey, thanks to the wide open, empty stretches from Madurai to Trichy, a steady 80-85Kmph cruise saw my car touch 20+Kmpl for real! Here's a screenshot taken after driving 110km from our hotel in the southern end of Madurai.

Attachment 2371764

I had even driven to Vaigai dam on Sunday through 2 lane highways, with good bit of traffic and I was able to see 15+Kmpl on the instrument panel. The car was not sluggish but the "pep" you get with RON95 was missing surely.

Just thought I will post this here, since I have been telling people to stick to RON95 petrol. I think it is still the recommendation, but on long trips, where RON95 petrol might not be available, I think we should be fine with good quality normal petrol IF mostly running on highways.
I have driven the stretch a bit. I refuel at IOCL opp chennai Airport else COCO at madurantakam or near thiruvanaikaval. Just before Madurai I found an IOCL with XP95 though didn't use as it was on opposite direction. However as you pointed out not much of difference in FE between 91 and 95. In my view other than engine being a tad smoother didn't find much difference between both fuels. But am a scared enough VW owner to prefer 95 than 91. Done about 10.5k kms of which highway driving would have atleast been around 7k.
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:51   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post
Sorry. Teething issues and I forgot add the quote in my reply :(

Hi BHPian Malyaj,

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Hello Aashik,
Sorry for the late response. I was away for a while. We have decided not to go ahead with the Taigun purchase. Although the car has fared well on NCAP, I had booked the Highline variant which has only 2 airbags and I felt this was a compromise. Secondly the interiors were also a big let down and I felt I couldn't live with them for the next 10-12 years. Now I am again in the searching stage and nothing is checking all the boxes. Have decided to cool off for some time.

The dealer was Apple Auto Mahadevpura ORR. They were very professional to deal with all throughout, including the refund. I believe there are still very good discounts to be had on Taigun. You should push harder. Do you have an old car to exchange? My price included an exchange bonus of 30K if I remember correctly.

Regarding Acko insurance I really don't have an opinion. I did search for reviews and there are both very good and very bad reviews for them. Reading them only confuses the hell out of you. Moreover since I got a large discount, it was all that mattered. Under which head, I wasn't that bothered.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 22:19   #1575
BHPian

Is it not possible to fit the auto-dimming IRVM from the Topline in the Highline? This is a real must-have feature. But according to the SA and even the technical advisor it is not possible to fit it as the Highline "does not have a sensor."

Can someone please clarify?

Most Viewed