Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:42   #1771
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
However, the technicians made an interesting comment. They said in Taigun, 2 of the Toe, Camber and Caster parameters are fixed and can't be changed. I don't remember as to what was the variable parameter, but is there any truth to the statement?
Yes, it is. Was true for my older Polo's and Vento's as well.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 20:39   #1772

Hey guys,

I've driven my Taigun 1.5 DSG for 20,000 km now. So far, the experience has been great, apart from two things.

1. The driver-side auto-window problem: I have been facing this issue since the day of purchase. The solution was just provided to Taigun owners in the form of a software update; however, I'm still facing the issue. It doesn't happen often, but the issue is still there.
2. Some kind of flexing/springy sound from the front suspension on bad roads: This issue is relatively new, and the workshop says it's fine.

Is anyone else also facing these issues?
Old 3rd March 2023, 22:47   #1773
BHPian

11 Months 13.5K Kms update!

So far the drive has been really great, of course ignoring the auto up-down window issue. Got a software update for A/C, felt no difference as such and wasn’t facing any issues with cooling prior to the update as well. Got a few cosmetic changes, gloss black Orvm caps for 1500/- from VW ASC. Didn’t like the empty void on the fender of 1.0 cars, tried sourcing non-gt fender badges but had no success hence went with the gt fender badge from ASC as well.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img20230204wa0011.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20230205_1035440201.jpeg

Changed the boot light from halogen to LEDs, easy swap, DIY. Bulb sourced from Durvient.com Specs- T10 W5W 5watt.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20230206_220847.jpg

Reverse light bulbs were also swapped with LED, completing an all-LED setup for me as I already have led turn indicators. Looks amazing. Spec for reverse Bulb- P21W(BA15S). Also sourced from durvient.com

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20230210_113625.jpg

Left side halogen, right side LED

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20230210_114048.jpg

Got some VCDS tweaks done as well from Parth(IG-@vasretrofits).
Litres to fuel, DRLs blinking with indicators, Rear Light bar blinking with indicators, tyre angle in the virtual cockpit, AC control on the infotainment screen.

That's it for now, servicing due next month and 15K kms.
Atharva14 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:23   #1774
BHPian

Got an email from VW today to take the Taigun to a Service Centre for an update which improves the AC performance. Will send it over the weekend hopefully this will address the AC issues being faced by many. Also, good timing for the update with summers just around the corner.
TurbochargedT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 15:49   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbochargedT View Post
Got an email from VW today to take the Taigun to a Service Centre for an update which improves the AC performance. Will send it over the weekend hopefully this will address the AC issues being faced by many. Also, good timing for the update with summers just around the corner.
Please do share your feedback. Lot of us are awaiting
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 12:00   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Please do share your feedback. Lot of us are awaiting
I got this update 2 weeks ago, when I got my Taigun for a 1000km check up. The update took around 2 hours apparently and the AC performance has clearly improved. Though not to an extent one would expect, it's far better than what it was previously.

Feel sad to say that Taigun's AC performance is worse than my Baleno.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 12:16   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
I got this update 2 weeks ago, when I got my Taigun for a 1000km check up. The update took around 2 hours apparently and the AC performance has clearly improved. Though not to an extent one would expect, it's far better than what it was previously.

Feel sad to say that Taigun's AC performance is worse than my Baleno.
Maruti and ford has the best AC units. Vouching because I had an alto - 5 yrs and figo - 10 yrs. Pretty brainy of VW guys to have an underperforming AC on an indianised car.
prabhu7944 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:45   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
I got this update 2 weeks ago, when I got my Taigun for a 1000km check up. The update took around 2 hours apparently and the AC performance has clearly improved.
I am actually disappointed that the VW ASC here is not communicating on this at all. I plan check with them over this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Maruti and ford has the best AC units. Vouching because I had an alto - 5 yrs and figo - 10 yrs. Pretty brainy of VW guys to have an underperforming AC on an indianised car.
My mother says the AC in our 2006 Santro Xing XL was better. Speaks volumes about how VW engineers missed this crucial performance parameter.

Has anyone here had success in fixing the driver side window one touch not working problem permanently? That has become a major irritant now for me.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 11:09   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post

Has anyone here had success in fixing the driver side window one touch not working problem permanently? That has become a major irritant now for me.
I do not think there is any update for this yet. Got my motor changed issue still remains. Also for the AC update I got a mail from VW but when I contacted the dealer their response is your VIN number is not eligible for an update. Now whom do I trust? VW directs every query to the dealer only.
Also brakes are a major irritant, they end up making so much noise. I have done close to 27K kms.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 15:54   #1780
BHPian

Re: VW sales experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu84 View Post
In a similar boat, what the discounts they are offering and how soon can they deliver? I am looking in Delhi.
I got free insurance, 4 year maintenance package, 4 year RSA, cash discount, corporate discount and exchange bonus.
Old 10th March 2023, 16:56   #1781
BHPian

Volkswagen Taigun 1.5 GT DSG 2.5 months 7500 KM review

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_5206.jpg

My previous car was a Honda WRV 1.5 Dtec, and I really liked it. I found it to be peppy enough on the highway, liked the way it handled, and was most impressed with its milage, and I've juiced well over 30 KMPL over 100 km many times, though I usually would get 19+ on the highway - I drive 90% on highways.

Every 3/4 years I get the itch to upgrade, and I had done over 80k Km in 4 years on the WRV, but was still very happy with it, and I had spared no expense to make sure it was in tip top shape.

But come a Sunday in December, I was bored at home and with no thoughts of upgrading, I waltzed in to a Skoda showroom, really to kill the afternoon and I test drove the Kushaq 1.5. Man, I loved that car instantly and had to have it then and there. My wife was dead against an upgrade, but I argued that since we take long drives all the time, it'd be good we have a bigger auto that she could also drive - she drives an Ignis AMT, and though I would have liked to get the Kushaq in manual, I knew that would be the ONLY way I'd get her to agree. So I paid the advance amount, and came back home to research more on the car.

What I did feel even on the initial test drive is that the Kushaq has a very soft suspension which is great for sitting in the car, but not for driving. After reading a bit and calling a few of my friends, I decided to check out the Volkswagen Taigun. It did come with a stiffer suspension, and offered much better driving dynamics. It's handling felt much better, it braked much better. But my wife preferred the softness and ride comfort of the Kushaq, and after a few arguments, I called the Skoda showroom to cancel my booking.

They were aghast. They couldn't believe I was going for the Taigun instead of the Kushaq. They really thought me to be mad and said everyone prefers the Kushaq over the Taigun, that its a bit cheaper, and that it has better everything, and begged me to take the Kushaq on a long test drive. I agreed and test drove it on a long stretch of the highway. And I felt the same again - soft suspension that was good for comfort but not driving. This leads to the car shuddering when one brakes hard at high speeds and it did not seem to corner and handle as well as the Taigun. The Skoda guys where shocked and had the regional manager call me. He swore that the suspension set up was the same on the Taigun and Skoda, but I certainly felt a difference and told him so. The manager then requested I wait a day and that he'd like to check the Kushaq test car I had driven. The next day, they got 2 Kushaqs for me to drive, the same old one I had driven - they had changed the tires, wheel balanced and aligned, and they also got a Kushaq which had done less than 100 km, which was to be their test drive car. Took both the cars for long test drive again, and felt exactly the same and told them so. They were convinced I was mad, and left rather disappointed. I started thinking that perhaps I was a bit mad (I mean I know I am little cuckoo for sure, and was wondering if I was imagining things) and I asked the VW guys to come back for a test drive. Told them what Skoda had done and that I was quite impressed with their pre sales push, and that I would like a long test drive to which they agreed.

So took the VW Taigun on a 100+ km test drive on the ECR off Chennai. I no longer had any doubt. The Taigun did have a harder suspension setup, which leads to a stiffer and bumpier ride but which affords much better driving, braking and handling dynamics.

And that was it, I booked the 1.5 DSG and I had the car delivered to me in about a week after booking.

Once I got the car, man, I was and am obsessed with the way it handles. I had to get the 1000 km run in (which the manual specifies that one should do) ASAP so that I could unleash the car. I spent the 2 days after getting the car running it in on the ECR, spending the whole day going up and down and up and down. 3 days after I had got delivery, the 1000 kms was done, and it was due for an inspection service + I had reversed it into my wife's Ignis, which had led to the rear bumper of the Taigun cracking - but not a SCRATCH on the Ignis much to her amusement. Its weird how force works upon impact.

The car took a week for it to come back as I opted for insurance replacing the bumper, and have since been finding all the possible excuses to drive it on long trips.

I live in Chennai and I've driven to Coorg two times. I had to of course check how the car performs on hard ghat sections so did a separate trip to Masinagudi where I spent a day going up and down the Kalhatti ghat below Ooty. I can't stop whizzing about the Mysore - Bangalore expressway - such a good road that and only going to get better once they ban autos and motorbikes - set to happen on 12th of March when its officially inaugurated. Now clocked 7300 KM in just over 2 months (with the car staying in the workshop for a week + me having to go visit the in laws in Rajasthan for 10 days - I of course wanted to drive, but the wife argued she couldn't take 4-5 extra days off work so had give in and fly)

The car has gone for it's 7500 km service today - the guys at VW were rather astonished that it was in this early and asked me if there was an error on when I had taken delivery. I am to go on a drive either to Thekkady or to Aqua Outback in Tutticorin - the gulf of Mannar tomorrow. (Have any of you been there? I live like right NEXT to the sea, and I am not too sure of going to a beach vacation, but I thought I'd learn to angle fish there but I am not sure it's worth the 11k per night they charge.) This trip is going to add another 1k + km on the odo and I thought I'd give it in for inspection service 200 km earlier rather than 1000 km later.

So here are my observations:

One of the major reasons I upgraded was really safety. I always thought Honda will do well on the safety front, but with the WRV getting the dismal safety stars in the recent NCAP tests, scoring just a tad better than the Marutis, I had to let that car go.

The Volkswagen Taigun 1.5 GT DSG is a FANTASTIC car to drive. Though I thought I'd miss manual, the DSG does a great job at shifts. The car handles exceptionally well at high speeds and on ghat sections, corners great, has no body roll and is just a dream to drive. The engine is very peppy, does prefer a tad bit of a linear acceleration, but does well on sudden and hard accelerations too.

The car LOVES to be driven hard, hates city traffic. You can feel the car PLEAD to not be driven in city traffic.

This is not a car you want to get if you drive in the city much, or are mileage conscious. Milage in the city will go down to as low as 7 KMPL in heavy traffic, otherwise around the 9 KMPL mark in moderate traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if people in Bangalore get like 4-5 KMPL. On highways, you can juice 20 + easily, but have to be sedate, which if you like driving you'll find very, very difficult to be in this car. When you floor it, expect around 12-14 kmpl returns.

Pro tip: Sign up with the Indian Oil rewards program, and get some rebates when you book a gas cylinder or such. I got Rs 523 off a Gas cylinder recharge for spending 1750 Indian Oil points I had accrued filling in XP 95 over the last two months! Note: The car does perform better - power and milage on XP 95. Haven't checked out Speed 97 yet. Been toying with trying XP 100, but its like Rs 50 more than XP 95 at Rs 160 a liter!

You hardly ever need to use the paddle shifts. Sports mode is great for quick overturns and bursts of acceleration. The car of course handles and drives much better in sports mode on the ghats.

Niggles

Hated the delivery experience of Sundaram Volkswagen. They deliver new cars in an used car showroom of theirs, and its a very off putting experience to get a brand new car in an used car showroom. Wrote a stinker to VW on this.

The auto start and stop is very sensitive and will kick in even when slowing down, not having to halt. In bumper to bumper traffic, it kicks in all the time. I wonder if its ok for the car's engine to start and stop as much as it will in heavy traffic and if that increases wear and tear on the engine + battery + actually decrease milage when engine fires up often. My friend argues that VW would have kept that in mind when designing the function and that it is a made for India car. I avoid city drives as much as possible, so I am not going to look this up too much.

I hate the fact that the car came with Ceats. My other choice was MRFs, and I hate them even more. This car needs to have come with better tyres. I can't wait to get on Michelins, but was/am cash crunched with this impulsive and unplanned buy, and also spending on constant road trips. I figure I'll wait till I cross 15k kms and switch to Michelins. Yes, I am a total Michelin fan boy!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...michelins.html (Why I will never drive with any tyre other than Michelins)

I wonder if it would have been better for the car to have rear discs. The car does have a lot of power and will hit triple digit speeds very easily. The cars brakes are more than sufficient and it does hold nicely, but I still do wonder. I test drove the XUV 700 as well before booking the Taigun, and it comes with rear discs and brakes PIN POINT! But I disliked everything else about it so wasn't an option though I must say the braking on that thing did make me think twice on if I should pick it up.

I do not like the music system at all. The head unit is great - much better than the 60 k Pioneer I had on my WRV, but the speakers to me suck. But that's probably just me. I love Hi-FI Audio, and for the set ups that I like, it costs 5-7 Lakhs for cars. Have to wait a bit for me to get that cash, and I'll be making a beeline to Speedfreaks in Chennai to get an Audio upgrade, hopefully very soon.

I found the 125 + KMPH sound chime driving me absolutely mad. The car comes with a chime at 80 kmph which is once every minute, which is actually good as you cannot feel the speed in the car, and the chime is unobtrusive. It then has a 120+ KMPH chime, which of course is constant, but cross 125 KMPH, it gets LOUD and maddening. 5 minutes and Rs 2000 at Vagmaster, Velacherry, Chennai had the 120+kmph chime be history.

Essentials -

Sun films. I drove the car for a few days without Sun films, and it was horrible. too much glare, too much stress on the AC even though it was early January. I have come to learn that Sun Films are THE MOST important investment on a car, and choose the best and most expensive - Solar Shileds Nano ceramics. More here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...s-chennai.html (Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai)

Screen Guard for the infotainment system. Found a very good and high quality one on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Petrol Sticker. Found a very good and high quality one on Amazon which goes well with the GT badging

Jumper Cables - With the cars auto on / off kicking in as much as it does, I am sure the battery wont lat long. And even though you have the option to switch auto on/off off, and I don't drive in the city much, AND I have dealt with dead batteries in the part, I picked up a Jumper Cable

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A Tow Rope. A friend in a Nexon and me found a way through a forest on to the banks of the Cauvery and we drove right to the river rather foolishly and got ourselves stuck in the slush. I managed to get un stuck - with more power than the Nexon and with Traction off, but the Nexon was stuck hard. But luckily while we were dealing with this - it was late night, another Nexon popped up and did exactly what we did and got stuck exactly how we were about half a KM from where we were, and they called in a Bolero to pull them out and they pulled my friends Nexon out as well. That prompted me to get a tow rope

ProKlear Wiper Wash - Been using this for a while and find it to be very good.

3M Rodent Spray - I've had wires in cars been chewed on by rats and know the damage they cause. I have been diligently using 3M rodent spray once every 3/4 months and have never had a rodent issue after. Much cheaper on Amazon than elsewhere

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 10th March 2023 at 17:23.
thirdmainroad is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 18:08   #1782
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun 1.5 GT DSG 2.5 months 7500 KM review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Attachment 2427277

They were aghast. They couldn't believe I was going for the Taigun instead of the Kushaq. They really thought me to be mad and said everyone prefers the Kushaq over the Taigun, that its a bit cheaper, and that it has better everything, and begged me to take the Kushaq on a long test drive.
I had a similar dilemma and I went in the opposite direction. I first test drove the Taigun 1.5 DSG and then the Kushaq 1.5 DSG. Taigun is the better driver's car. It felt nimbler, tauter and left to my own devices, I would have got one home. The family on the other hand voted unanimously for the Kushaq. They just felt that it looked nicer (the front chrome moustache on the Taigun was poorly received) and felt better on the inside. So we got a Red 1.5 Kushaq DSG home. It is a very hard choice between the two and you can't really go wrong either way. These twins are, hands down, the best driving cars in that segment. The discounts and the 4 year maintenance package sweeten the deal.

I share your concern on the start-stop issue, so I switch it off the minute I get into the car. It might affect the starter, it impacts cooling which is poor to begin with and has minimal impact on improving fuel efficiency. I'm hoping there is a way to switch it off by default by coding.

Congratulations on the purchase. Wish you thousands of safe miles on this lovely car
ranjitnair77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 18:15   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The family on the other hand voted unanimously for the Kushaq. They just felt that it looked nicer (the front chrome moustache on the Taigun was poorly received) and felt better on the inside.

Congratulations on the purchase. Wish you thousands of safe miles on this lovely car

I'm hoping there is a way to switch it off by default by coding.
Thank you Ranjit, and congratulations on yours and wish you the very same wholeheartedly.

Same with the wife, and perhaps even me when it came to the exterior design. She preferred the front of the Kushaq when compared to the Taigun, and both of us the rear of the Kushaq which we feel is simpler and nicer. The interiors, I did prefer the Taigun, I must say! I didn't like the way the the HU was jutting out in the Kushaq, and didn't like the Monte Carlo excess red one bit! Driving was THE most important thing for me, and therefore the Taigun. Would have picked up the Kushaq if the drive was identical, for sure.

I did worry about the front grill of the Kushaq, thought it would be like a whale shark going over the oceans with its mouth open for krill, with dust on our roads.

Do tell me please, whats the milage you are getting on the Kushaq?

And yes, you can change the settings of the Auto / on off to default off using code and OBD device!

I've actually ordered a ObdEleven device and can't wait to get it to do all manner of things - I am sure I'll get myself into trouble, but have become friends with the guys at Vagmaster and they assure me they can undo anything I can do!

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 10th March 2023 at 18:23.
thirdmainroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 20:46   #1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonline View Post
Team, read that Hyundai Venue and Creta have got RDE compliant and E20 compatible engines.
Do we know if VW 1.5 engine used in Taigun conforms to at least the RDE norms?
I know they have introduced 1.5 TSI Evo2 in the new T-Roc, but it's not clear if the Evo/Evo2 are compliant or not to these new regulations.
Do we know whether current batch of VW Taiguns leaving the manufacturing plant are getting the new RDE BS-6 stage 2 compliant engines?
Old 12th March 2023, 15:03   #1785
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride. I root for the Taigun team (against the Kushaq bros). In my opinion it is one of the very few mass market cars to pull off yellow with such grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Attachment 2427277
...but with the WRV getting the dismal safety stars in the recent NCAP tests, scoring just a tad better than the Marutis...
Could you please expand on this statement?
rroy92 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed