Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 19:49   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I see you had TDed Harrier & Safari as well. Any comparisons with these on different parameters?

Engine, Ride, Handling, Interior quality etc
I haven't driven the diesel XUV700. Hence, cannot comment on which engine is better. This 2.0L petrol isn't high revving, but refined and quick. Since I drove the car only on the track, the ride also cannot be commented on. When it comes to handling, the XUV feels more nimble for sure. The high speed stability of the XUV is also impressive.

Coming to interior quality, I will still put the Tata products slightly above, though the fit and panel gaps are tighter in the XUV700. Again, when it comes to interior space, particularly in the third row, the Safari is better.

In the end, the features on offer, the price and overall package makes the XUV700 a very tempting option. Another thing is, it's been well over 2 years since the Harrier was introduced, but Tata still hasn't made the product trouble-free.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th August 2021 at 04:58.
Aditya is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:58   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
The XUV500 actually blew minds upon its launch and the bookings were so huge that they had to temporarily stop bookings and use a lottery system to allot vehicles. The 'very handsome' Harrier struggled to cross 1,000 units per month in the first year of its launch. Only after a power bump, pano sunroof and AT it managed to reach 2000-2500 units per month, but still nowhere near XUV500's peak monthly sales (4000-4500)
If sales numbers alone are an indicator of how good a car looks(since I was referring to the looks department alone), we would have seen many more Abarth Puntos/Chevrolet SRV's on road today and surely there are many more such examples. Also agree that looks are subjective. Lets be cognizant of the reputation the Harrier has earned due to its reliability issues and see the above quoted numbers again now. I would say these are very good sales and see the design as one of the primary reasons.

Quote:
Pratap Bose joined very late. Just a month before the launch of XUV700. So he could not have done any design changes even if he wished or if he was competent enough.

I find Pratap Bose overrated. The new Mahindra logo is just passable in my opinion. I find Nexon to be quirkier than any of Mahindra's design fiascos (with the exception of KUV100)
Fair point he needs more time, but the above statements about Pratab Bose joining late hence unable to make an impact and him being overrated at the same time contradict themselves, so I will not comment further and avoid going OT.
Old 18th August 2021, 19:59   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
I have the same doubts, In one of the reviews of petrol variant it was visible in the MID, it was showing 4.5 Kmpl . Maybe mahindra has asked the reviewers to keep a wrap on it
Fuel efficiency figures have not been revealed. In the reviews and testing that we (or all others) do, the car is left idling for long periods, high speed testing is done and maximum speeds in gears is checked. Lots of starting and stopping and turning the engine on and off happens. There is a lot of fuel used. Hence, don't ever go by what the MID shows during reviews or test drives.

That said, a 200 PS turbo-petrol with an AT in a heavy SUV will definitely guzzle fuel. Double digit fuel economy is almost impossible, but it won't fall as low as 4.5 km/l when driving like a regular user.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th August 2021 at 20:46.
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:01   #139
Senior - BHPian

The most glaring omission in the XUV700 is the absence of a proper headrest for the middle passenger in the second row. That fixed short stub for the middle headrest is not sufficient from the safety perspective.
Given that the XUV500 had the second row mid seat proper headrest. This is a step backwards and not a place for cost cutting in the interest of safety.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th August 2021 at 20:05.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:04   #140
BHPian

Fantastic review. The shorter version may take some time getting used to.
The omissions on the 700 are a bit puzzling. Especially since the 300 gets them! (Auto dimming IRVM, front parking sensors, a normal 4 parking sensors at the back).
I believe these wouldn't have added much to the cost overall, and definitely should have been a part of the package.
Wondering if the ADAS sensor assists in any way while parking?
It's very weird to see a car offer something as high tech as an ADAS, but not ventilated seats.
Maybe something they'll add to an upcoming one? I saw photos of some test mules still running around. There are a couple of dummy buttons next to the seat adjustments one, so maybe they have ventilated seats in the plans?
That said, most reviews are singing laurels of the engine and the overall ride, and that's very heartening to see. Glad that M&M nailed it on one of the most awaited car of 2021.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:08   #141
BHPian

As always a very good and detailed quick review.

While the XUV 700 is a clear evaluation from the XUV 500, Mahindra & Mahindra have done a great job at enhancing the looks.

Yes the Adreno X technology suite is just Awesome. Great work from both M&M and their partner.

Will not comment on the engine or the mechanical and will wait for the detailed report.

Hence will concentrate on a certain design elements which i feel is not correct.

I have 3 problems with this,
a. Noise when you drive with the windows down,
b. De-colorization of this part over time, mind you it will look bad.
c. Dirt and other stuff getting stuck and becoming a problem, which could also effect the Window winding mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-2021mahindraxuv70015.jpg  

rajchetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:28   #142
BHPian

Hi All,

I am truly impressed by the XUV700 by what I have heard and seen so far. One quick question to all here; I am stumped actually. If you check out the initial pricing that was launched and on their website, it says the pricing is for the 5 seater. Does the 5 seater have the third row (which is meant for kids)? or does it not? Since this is what the website says:
Name:  xuv700.PNG
Views: 2386
Size:  68.4 KB

Sorry for this question. When they say 5-seater, do they mean a variant without the third row?

Thanks all!
nivatakavacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:29   #143
BHPian

One quick question - I understand from youtube reviews is that the rear tailgate is plastic/ fibre and not metal.

Is that Ok from safety and long term niggles perspective ?
Exhuberance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:38   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Hi All,
. If you check out the initial pricing that was launched and on their website, it says the pricing is for the 5 seater. Does the 5 seater have the third row (which is meant for kids)? or does it not? Since this is what the website says:
Attachment 2195072

Sorry for this question. When they say 5-seater, do they mean a variant without the third row?

Thanks all!
Now you are giving me ideas! 5 seats in three rows! Means 2 captain seats in second row and one captain seat in third row (with a portable fridge on one side and a mini workstation on the other)! That would be awesome!

Last edited by Geta : 18th August 2021 at 20:57.
Geta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:40   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Hi All,

I am truly impressed by the XUV700 by what I have heard and seen so far. One quick question to all here; I am stumped actually. If you check out the initial pricing that was launched and on their website, it says the pricing is for the 5 seater. Does the 5 seater have the third row (which is meant for kids)? or does it not? Since this is what the website says:
Attachment 2195072

Thanks all!
Yes, A variant without third row seats. Adding 5 seater variants could have been last minute decision but product development team already designed and tested curtain airbags which will cover till D pillar. Going by the images and information available there will not be much difference between 5/7 seater variants. Last row seats, Aircon vents will be removed and we have a 5 seater car.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:45   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Hence will concentrate on a certain design elements which i feel is not correct.

c. Dirt and other stuff getting stuck and becoming a problem, which could also effect the Window winding mechanism.
The 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis has a similar design where the door trim rises towards the dashboard for a design continuity just like the XUV7oo, but I have not faced any issues so far nor have I heard anything of this sorts from other users.

There has been no de-coloration till now (almost 7 years done) and no issues so far with the window winding mechanism.

Hope this helps.
Route66 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:23   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
XUV 5oo has also a similar design of the trim, but takes off steeper near the OVRM, but never faced any of these issues.
Old 18th August 2021, 21:33   #148

Many thanks for the review, off late I see thatTeam-BHP reviews are released at the same time as the media release elsewhere. That's commendable, given the thoroughness of your reviews, although some still complain it's short compared to your previous ones!

Regarding the XUV 700, I think it's very good overall although with some idiosyncrasies of it's own. Personally I too am on the lookout for a mid size SUV as my next, so here are my views as a potential buyer:

Design:

Mahindra really needs some mending in this department, as they have missed the "wow" factor. The XUV500 did have that, although it was more of an in-your-face sort of way. They did manage to tone it down in the later facelifts and make it classier. So that makes me think of waiting for the facelift, now that they have the "Tata man" with them! And what ever happened to our good'ol Pininfarina! Are those chaps paid only for sleeping, in true Italian style!

Ride and handling:

Come on Mahindra, you have much improved, but can do better! The lumpy and jolt-like ride was the sole reason which put me off buying the XUV500 and the likes of the Scorpio. Many of us users travel a lot on highways, and believe it or not, they are many roads in India with sharp curves! To hustle all that top heavy mass from your stable was a real pain in the back, quite literally! The alliance with Ford would have done wonders to this area, but sadly that's off.

Wonder how hard can it be to sort out ride and handling, given your resources. Take a good look at what Tata is doing, you guys!

The above two are main grouses, but it's hard to ignore the effort they have put in copying Mercedes for interiors, which is a good thing, mind you! Like no one is complaining about the similarities between the new Thar and the Jeep Wrangler! It just adds to the feel good factor, also knowing that we have spent only 1/3rd of a typical Merc!

I think this is going to sell in heaps, given the pricing. Like the Korean twins, which span a variety of variants, suiting a wide budget. Smart move.

At the end of the day, it's always a proud and happy moment to see an Indian company doing this well, way to go, Mahindra!
jitz_c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:39   #149
BHPian

Excellent review as always. Two thumbs up to Team-BHP!
The vehicle looks quite sorted overall, barring the few omissions mentioned by the reviewers. IMHO the badging is overdone on Tata and Mahindra vehicles. Why do they have to plaster "Powered by Adrenox" on the sides, and the long winded XUV700-AX7L on the back? Feels like they are trying too hard, just like the #dark tags on the black Harriers & Nexons.

Do we know if the AWD variants can be ordered in 5-seater configuration and without the tech bling packages?
On Indian roads I don't see much use for the lane keep assist, not to mention (as some have already pointed out) that most of us will not use the majority of these features.
Old 18th August 2021, 21:39   #150
BHPian

Looks like Mahindra haven't given ambient lighting a miss

Here is a screenshot I grabbed from Gagan Choudhary's video:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20210818-21.26.43.png

The green arrow shows LED lights that wrap around the sunroof and map light panel, similar to the outgoing XUV500's

The orange arrows show two downlights (my best guess) which will probably project a dim, cool white light on the centre console.
fakenews is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed