Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2021, 11:04   #1981
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Just found a really nice thread on Teambhp, especially for all the "Foreign hai to acha hai fans"

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/10-com...koda-dsg-india
Monty1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:13   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_gpatel View Post
- 5. Fuel efficiency is my biggest concern, display showed 4.7 kmpl, overall would be very high on petrol bills, current calculations approximately translates into a whopping INR 22/KM + other costs like purchase price, service etc. One of the reasons for me to doubt my decision!
What's the reason for not going for diesel, given that the premium over petrol is the lowest of any car - at just 50k ex showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
Just found a really nice thread on Teambhp, especially for all the "Foreign hai to acha hai fans"

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/10-com...koda-dsg-india

Really fed up of the "How can you spend 25-30 lakh on a Maheeendraaa!" folks.

We are spending this much only because it is Mahindra. If it was a VW or Toyota, the price would have been 40 lakh, and then it would have been out of our budget.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 9th October 2021 at 11:37.
pseudo_coder is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:33   #1983
BHPian

I have tried to search for this without luck on youtube and this thread. Has anyone seen any pics or videos showing the 5 seater AX5 version?
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:39   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Well the intention was not to offend the prospective buyers but
I would rather wish the prospective buyers a niggle free experience.
Now what would be the reply of desperate Mahindra fanboys to this? This is coming straight out from a person who has spent his hard earned money on a so called modern Mahindra (which many claim to have no reliability issues). If this isn't startling, I don't know what is then.

Quoting Skoda failures from another thread is fine, Skoda is damn well responsible for that. But that doesn't give any brand the liberty to dish out niggle laden products in the shadow of "Made in India" sentiments. Most of Mahindras have had issues in the initial batches at least, so all I'm advising fellow members is to wait and take the call wisely. On the other hand some became so aggressive as if they were involved in R&D of the car , they could get a real world chance in future though .

Skoda/Kia/Hyundai/Maruti all have had issues but they're relatively lesser as compared to what happened when the XUV500 launched. We have a niggles and issues thread for it which is more than 300 pages long. To those questioning about Crystas, the car had very few issues relatively(the major one being due to the too large rim size which was later reduced and proactively addressed by Toyota). Though the products are expensive too, but everyone knows about the mostly class-leading service provided by Toyota. People are recommending it now because it is a tried and tested model for god's sake (it was launched 4 years back).

Also those saying that it's a Mahindra that's why it's so cheap, a similar Skoda or Toyota would cost more. Hell yes it would, because they still are better quality whether you agree or not. We barely come across DSG issues now, because the time must be given and a current Rapid AT (torque converter) would be far reliable than a 2021 DSG variant.

A guy runs a YouTube channel by the name Explore the unseen 2.0 (I'm in no way affiliated to him). His is the second facelift of XUV500 and you can clearly check out on his channel about how pissed off he was with the car's issues and Mahindra's so called service. The guy actually made fun of his car when reviewing his friend's 1 lac+ km run Ford saying that the rattles and vibration of his Mahindra give the feeling of a truck when going over rough patches as compared to the silent Ford.

Once again I'd say, the intention is not to compete here by protecting the brands we like. My only intention is to at least make some people aware that the money they are putting down on a freshly baked Mahindra is not a small amount and there is no harm in waiting and watching. I have seen the fate of a Scorpio (2018 variant, not even the initial batch) owner who felt so helpless and cheated when the car became a rust bucket, so he sold it somehow and bought a different brand car.

Peace!
Lowflyer

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 9th October 2021 at 12:44.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:39   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Really fed up of the "How can you spend 25-30 lakh on a Maheeendraaa!" folks.

We are spending this much only because it is Mahindra. If it was a VW or Toyota, the price would have been 40 lakh, and then it would have been out of our budget for us.
Remember Kodiaq L&K was 45 L on-road Bangalore. XUV700 AX7 L AWD nearly matches Kodiaq in terms of specs and dimensions with the addition of ADAS and more power (of course misses on few things). From what I have seen, XUV700 is 85-90% of Kodiaq quality costing only 40% of Kodiaq.

Premium cars are costing almost 50%-100% more than what they should simply because the manufacturers are targeting low volume-high margin.

20 years back, small hatch backs like Zen or Santro costed around 4 lakhs.
Skoda Octavia was a 10 lakh car (2.5 times of a hatchback) and SUVs like Honda CRV/Ford Endeavour costed 14 lakhs (3.5 times of hatchback).

Now if you see, an i10 Grand Nios costs 8 lakhs but the D segment sedans cost 30 lakhs (3.5 times of a hatchback) and premium SUVs like Fortuner/Endeavour cost 40+ lakhs (5 times of a hatchback).

Therefore I feel that the pricing of premium cars has not just to do with how much it costs to produce them but what the target customers are willing to pay. Now the players like Mahindra are changing the equation by keeping lesser margin but aiming higher volumes.
Guna is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 13:36   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind319 View Post
I don't think this can be achieved with 30 people doing data entry. 700bookings / 30 is 23.33 bookings by 1 person in 15mins. that is less than 40 secs per booking. Even to just complete the payment in 40 secs is like super human efforts.
Dealers have a bulk booking option. Hence this is achievable. They pool money into a single account and make a single payment. Only for individual confirmation of all bookings would have been done in the last 7-8 minutes.
darkbull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 14:12   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
What's the reason for not going for diesel, given that the premium over petrol is the lowest of any car - at just 50k ex showroom?
Lower running; most of the time my car will stay parked (current i10 clocked 47K kms in 9+ years), hence avoiding diesel, also refinement is another negative for diesel.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th October 2021 at 14:23. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
k_gpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 15:03   #1988
BHPian

People who booked on day 2 had to pay a slightly higher price but got price protection along with it. These customers are staring at a 6-12 months waiting period. Isn’t that more than a decent trade off? Mahindra hopefully sorts out the initial problems by then so one is not a beta tester in that sense. Plus they are insulated from future price hikes. Unless I am mistaken about the price protection part what’s not to like about this scenario?

Whether the product will be deemed safe to buy/problem free at the 6 month mark or 12
month mark or even later is anybody’s guess right now. Isn’t it a bit of conjecture even then ? The famed Honda City has 78 problems per 100 vehicles as per the JD Power 2019 Initial quality study. Yet mentally, we are still far more accepting of Honda as a torch bearer of quality despite the fact that their flagship product has fared so poorly in this survey. Some of this debate is rooted in reality and good sense (wait & watch etc) but a lot of it is perception really.
eagles_ts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 15:27   #1989
BHPian

Visited Mahindra Farm and Industrial Equipment, Guwahati today. Took a test drive of the AX7 (Manual, Petrol), it was loaded with all the bells and whistles like the Sony sound system so I'm guessing it's the L variant. Anyway, this was my first experience with Mahindra and the petrol impressed me. The torque as well as refinement was excellent. The interiors are good but sort of a letdown for me since it feels, I don't know how to put it, okayish. Had booked our XUV 7OO yesterday and promised delivery date is Q2 2022 though SA said delivery might come earlier or later depending on how things work out. Waiting for the Diesel Test drive which has about 7 people ahead of me, but I'll return home only after taking a test drive of the Diesel Will update after taking the test drive and if needed report my post to the mods to merge.

PS: Also added a pic of the boot which seemed small in videos but is actually surprisingly adequate. It's 220L as per SA and it fit my laptop bag. For a family of 4 (which includes, me, parents and my younger brother) - this car is an excellent replacement for our aging Innova. Hope by Q2 2022 the prices don't increase much and initial niggles are sorted out.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211009_144549.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211009_144537.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211009_144714.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211009_150749.jpg  

wadewilson is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 15:58   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles_ts View Post
People who booked on day 2 had to pay a slightly higher price but got price protection along with it. These customers are staring at a 6-12 months waiting period. Isn’t that more than a decent trade off? Mahindra hopefully sorts out the initial problems by then so one is not a beta tester in that sense. Plus they are insulated from future price hikes. Unless I am mistaken about the price protection part what’s not to like about this scenario?

Whether the product will be deemed safe to buy/problem free at the 6 month mark or 12
month mark or even later is anybody’s guess right now. Isn’t it a bit of conjecture even then ? The famed Honda City has 78 problems per 100 vehicles as per the JD Power 2019 Initial quality study. Yet mentally, we are still far more accepting of Honda as a torch bearer of quality despite the fact that their flagship product has fared so poorly in this survey. Some of this debate is rooted in reality and good sense (wait & watch etc) but a lot of it is perception really.
Very well said. Even in 6 sigma we have a 0.000004 percent chance of failure. The key lies in the base. If you have companies like Skoda, VW, Audi (especially the new Q7) on on side and on the other side you have Tatas, and Mahindras, whose by the way Bolero sells more than Polo , then the numbers look large.

Its always welcome to advise and critique, (unless its China) however when the tone digresses from advisory to more of a condescending one that reflects nothing but desperation and honestly it looks like such people start with Oh god please let there be niggles for them to I curse you to have niggles.. There are millions of youtube videos for the Skodas, VW, Hyundai and Marutis of the world where some or the other person has an awful experience letting us to doubt the company. Which lastly reminds me in the used car market an Xuv500 still sells dearer to a Tiguan or a Kodiaq which by the way are very capable cars IMO.

Mod note: Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th October 2021 at 09:18.
Monty1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 16:53   #1991
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Diesel AX7 L (Manual). Did not expect this level of refinement from Mahindra. The interiors which at first glance looked a bit tacky and low quality seemed better the second time around, lol. Anyway, I'll list my observations in a few points:
  1. Engine: Both Diesel and Petrol were uber refined (in my humble opinion). The acceleration was near instantaneous and never once did I feel a lack of power during the drive.
  2. Steering: Light and comfortable to navigate in the busy city. Didn't get a chance to test it in the highway since there were a lot of people waiting behind me as well.
  3. Seating and Comfort: The front seats for me (5.5 footer) had to be pushed all the way in front. I could see the bonnet and the seating position in the front was excellent - commanding and comfortable. The second row, with the seat pushed to my driving position gave me oodles of space in the back. The last row, for someone of my height is manageable, atleast for short commutes.
  4. ICE: No niggles whatsoever. It worked well. However, me and the SA were inundated by the numerous options available. I got confused for a minute, but then adjusted to it. The sound quality, played through the 12 speaker Sony system was awesome.
  5. Ground clearance: An odd point, but I wanted to check it out since laden GC is only 160 or 180 (not sure about that). But with two passengers, the GC was still commendable. I doubt we'd have any issues tackling the moderate hilly regions of our North East.
  6. Niggles: None whatsoever. Couldn't find any. I tried looking for a few that other Bhpians mentioned like the electronic parking brake getting stuck among others but I couldn't find any as of the short drive with both the petrol and diesel.
wadewilson is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 17:28   #1992
BHPian

I am wondering When in near future there will be thousands of XUV 700 running across our country, How will inept M&M ASC cope up with these High on gizmo and bleeding edge tech. From my 9 years of ASC experience of M&M, its a hit or miss. For a non-tech scorpio 4x4, where many times the ASC just refused servicing as they did not have any know how (talking of 4x4 issues), I will advice caution for folks who are jumping too soon. But i think unless we have tsunami of vehicles with high tech on indian roads, the mechanical engineering is not going to improve. So good luck guys.

Last edited by droolingvoyager : 9th October 2021 at 17:33. Reason: spelling mistake
droolingvoyager is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 17:37   #1993
Team-BHP Support

I had a short TD of AX-7 Luxury pack. I intentionally chose lots of B-roads with speeds below 70 kmph. I did not feel much of a difference between the way a W10 or a W11 absorbed bumps / bad roads than what this AX-7 does. Gearbox is okay, as is the way it picks up speed.

Customers behave as if they are going to buy a large phone / tablet and that is the way, the product is advertised too. Once you scratch the surface and initial novelty of a large screen / sun-roof passes away, then you will love or loathe a product. So, for informed customers, a longer TD is necessary. I somehow did not appreciate so large screens and instrumentation.

The number of cameras / features /electronics do worry me though. I am unsure of how things shall work and with what efficiency post an accident [depending on severity].

And this was so visible, I had to take a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211009_130852.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 9th October 2021 at 19:13.
Sheel is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 18:36   #1994
BHPian

Went for a second test drive since I had booked yesterday and wanted to get my hands dirty.
Had a difficult time at Koncept Gurgaon Sohna road - despite the rush being far lesser than the launch weekend, the service advisors seemed very indifferent to customer queries, passed the buck from one to the other to answer the questions, didn't seem aware of the booking process and gave conflicting views. There was no sense of urgency for test drives, customers were made to wait while cars were standing idle in between others' test drives. I literally had to shove the accompanying driver back into the car for a test drive after being made to wait for 45 mins. The whole attitude in the showroom lacked any sense of urgency or any show of efforts for customer delight.

Anyways, I also wanted to share that I manged to try the Zoom mode despite the accompanying driver's effort at dissuading me with arbitrary excuses such as "..it's not connected and needs an ID.." and "..setting is not enabled.." etc. All I had to do was push the drive mode button and press Zoom. A moment later, I floored the accelerator and the - adrenaline rushed through my body. The ZOOM mode is simply awesome!
piyush1.a is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 19:48   #1995
BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20211009wa0061.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20211009wa0060.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20211009wa0059.jpg

This Mahindra XUV700 has been parked opposite our home for the last 2 days and no one on our street seems to know whose it is - considering that even today the Mahindra XUV 700 website has only mentioned about bookings, meaning, deliveries haven't begun yet (confirmed by a Chennai Mahindra dealer too today), and the nearest Mahindra showroom is a few kilometres away, is this a cause for concern and should we do anything about it⁉️

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...4&id=573083323
Murugan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks