Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 18:55   #2056
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Does anyone else think this may be photoshopped
Creta has taken the impact on the bonnet but the matching point on the rear of XUV700 is unscathed. Strangely lower part of XUV's bumper has been dented.
But I could be wrong.
I feel so too. The nose should've impacted the tail gate anywhere below the XUV700 Banner placed where the number plate would sit. Interestingly, the bumper also has a dent that looks more like a bike banged into it. A car accident would have resulted in the bumper being in a much worse shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
My thoughts too, seems staged, moreover if you notice most of these crash videos or images are always a case of rear ending a XUV700, never from side or the front, kind of fishy. As they say " Kuch to Gadbad hai"
Looks like a job for ACP Pradhyuman and Daya!
normaltusker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:06   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
My thoughts too, seems staged, moreover if you notice most of these crash videos or images are always a case of rear ending a XUV700, never from side or the front, kind of fishy. As they say " Kuch to Gadbad hai"
Could be that the ADAS is causing sudden braking (as already reported on multiple occasions) and this causes the rear-endings?
ChevyTeddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:08   #2058
BHPian

Bumping up my question from earlier today:-

Has anyone got the actual delivery date communicated from their respective Dealer yet?
Old 10th October 2021, 19:09   #2059
BHPian

Hi,
I visited the showroom today. It was crowded with at least 3 families checking out the XUV simultaneously. There was long waiting for test ride. I had booked online on second day mainly for price protection. That is completely against my nature of doing lots of research, experiencing the product first hand before buying. But i still did because
I owned 2009 Scorpio before, it had such a fun to drive engine. The service was responsive and they tried to fix issues when highlighted. Anyway, the XUV700 felt underwhelming. Felt like sort of anticlimax. Main observations
- interior fit and finish is way better than my old scorpio and not old school Mahindra.
- all 3 vehicles battery had drained and the boot could not be opened, the door handles were stuck outside
- overall it did not feel very roomy
- third row was claustrophobic. I have a BRV, my son is 5.10, his head was almost touching the roof. Third row windows are small. We felt that overall headroom in all three rows was less than BRV.
- third row legroom not there if second row is reclined for comfortable seating, knees were touching back of the second seat
- third row is wide but the knee room was not there
- sliding second row is sorely missed
- driver seat under thigh support did not feel any better than BRV
- BRV third row is way more airy, not at all claustrophobic and my son plainly rejected XUV for third row space
- Boot although better than old XUV is still smaller than BRV
- acres of leg room in second row and first row
- the driver seat was stuck is most forward and tallest position and my head hit A pillar everytime and I am a short person
So, I have decided to cancel my booking although i was hoping that I would not have to :(
Also realized the BRV is such a good 6 seater family vehicle if you can live the MUVish look and if you dont compare the engine with 2 liter turbocharged diesel !

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 10th October 2021 at 19:20.
ScorpWarp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:02   #2060
BHPian

Got my hands on a demo and test drive today. Here's just some basic thoughts, first observations and stuff.

I went to Shiv Auto wings Bhosari. I was greeted by the staff, handed a pamphlet with 3 QR codes for booking, demo video, and brochure respectively.

I was told to register my details at another desk, and they then arranged for a walkaround and demo. One of the customer reps took my pamphlet/basics sheet and submitted it for the test drive queue.

Had to wait for some time. There's quite a lot of rush! Just 6 months back when I bought my 300 from this very showroom it was pretty much empty How time flies!

Now on to the car. The on I drove was an AX7 Diesel Manual. No Luxury pack or AWD:

1. Overall build quality is very good. Good quality materials, fitting looks good. No odd creaks or rattles even after knocking around on a lot of the panels.
2. Panel gaps are good for the most part, however some panel gaps are a bit larger compared to most others. Especially the one at the hinge of the tailgate.
3. This is a nitpick, but I noticed that some of the body elements don't align properly. The indicator strip on the tailgate doesn't align with the one on the brake light unit, the spoiler line doesn't match the one on the side.
4. Tailgate is very well built! It does not at all feel like a plastic/fibre material one. Good job on that.
5. Ingress/egress is fairly easy. Car is not too tall to make it difficult.
6. Tailgate takes every so slight of an effort to open. But closing it is very easy. No need to bang the tailgate either. It locks in place quite easily.
7. Reaching the third row is fairly simple. The flip up seat locks down in place with quite an audible sound! Was a bit shocking at first.
8. Third row is actually usable. Not the most comfy, surely. But my 6'1" friend could sit at the rear. Knees all over the place, but he did say that back support and leg support was decent. Good to see AC vents and blower control for third row.
9. Having said that, the second row AC vents do not have a blower control. It is controlled directly by the front row.
10. Second row seats are a bit upright by default, but they do recline, and get more comfortable. However this does compromise the third row.
11. "Skyroof" is massive, and lets in a lot of light.
12. I liked the cockpit. Everything is well organised, and in the right places. AC vents are at a good position. I like the buttons below it. Wireless charging pad is a great add on.
13. Steering wheel is adjustable for rake and reach. A definite must have.
14. Power seat controls are FUN! I loved using those to reach my ideal driving position. And the placement of the controls on the door is perfect. I definitely wouldn't have liked playing with those buttons at the bottom of the seat.
15. The steering wheel is chunky and nice to hold. The piano black finished spokes look great. And the sort of "handle" crafted into the bottom spoke makes it great to handle.
16. The displays are bright, and clearly visible. I was a bit apprehensive of how they would be in sunlight, but they fared well.
17. The engine is fantastic. It has a lot of grunt, and the response is very linear. There is no sudden surge at the turbo point. I like that. It pulls clean, and has good amount of pull right from the get-go.
18. Having said that, I am not satisfied with the refinement levels. I was clearly feeling some vibrations on the clutch pedal, and definitely some vibes every now and then on the steering. I did not expect this from something that costs a literal million more than my 300. And to make it a fair comparison, even my 300 hasn't done its first oil change yet. So it's also still running on the stock oil.
19. The engine is audible, but I won't hold it against the 700 because I was having quite a bit of fun with the engine and hence was revving it
20. Driver assists work great. Lane keep assist starts when you hit 60kmph, and will bring you back on track if you slightly swerve off the line. It will let you switch lanes comfortably. It doesn't intervene there.
21. The sales rep in the car was also confident enough that he told me to deliberately tailgate the car in front of me, to demonstrate the emergency braking. And the car did perfectly! It detected the car in front with still about 10ft of distance, and the moment I was less than 10ft I got strong shudders on the steering, mild braking, and a warning on the console. Emergency braking perfectly done. Happy with the response.
22. Handling is quite good. My friends on the second row mentioned that the suspension is definitely stiff, but not stiff enough to be uncomfortable. There is some amount of body roll, but it's to be expected. Bottomline being, it handles very manageable for a car of its size.
23. Also tested the auto hold. The car perfectly locks in place even when you leave the brake pedal, and the auto-hold disengages when you apply even a tiny bit of throttle. Note though: It won't be happy with any attempts to crawl forward on idle, and it will let the engine stop for that.
24. Engine and steering response changes noticeably across the 3 driving modes. The option to create a custom mode is good to have.
25. 360 degree camera does a good job, though the software stitching might feel a bit artificial.
26. However what's important is that the camera unit can take a micro SD card, and will record the views from ALL the cameras! This is FANTASTIC. No more need for aftermarket dash cams. This is probably my most favourite addition.

Now on to some smaller tidbits:
1. I was VERY impressed to see proper felt lining in ALL the wheel wells. Greatly helps NVH.
2. The fuel lid, and the area around the fuel nozzle are completely covered! Good attention to detail.
3. Material quality and design on the dashboard are well done. I liked the faux leather, and faux wood finishing. It's well done and does not come off as tacky.

And now on to some misses:
1. Why no auto-dimming ORVM in a car of this cost! All the equipment is so cool and proper modern age, but the mirror is the same old manual dimming unit.
2. No mirror or vanity light on the driver's side.
3. There are door stop lamps, but they are a bit small. They're perfectly functional, but I feel they could've been bigger.

I'm specifically highlighting these three because my far "inferior" 300 gets these things. At a million less.

A couple pictures:

This colour is probably gonna be a hit. It looks really pretty in person.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_8123.jpg

The fuel lid thing I mentioned. Neat plastic cover on the lid, and a rubber gasket around the nozzle. Very well done.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_8122.jpg

Last edited by ashishk29 : 10th October 2021 at 20:03. Reason: Wrong image sequence.
ashishk29 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:04   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post

1. As of now the diesel variant of the XUV700 is 5 star GNCAP ready but the petrol variant is a borderline case. So it's likely that Mahindra will send the diesel variant to GNCAP but they are working on making the petrol variant get a comfortable 5 star score so we will have to wait and see which variant they send finally.
Great updates, but somehow I am a bit uncomfortable with the above statement that the XUV700 Diesel is "5-Star GNCAP ready". Not to fault @ram87pune, but it somehow pierces the cherished notion that Global NCAP makes a fully independent testing, verification and eventual certification. If manufacturers know beforehand how their product is going to be rated, then what's the fun in making an autonomous body do the tests ?
I dont have a problem with manufacturers saying it is ready for GNCAP testing, but to say it's "5-Star Ready" somehow disturbs me a little.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 10th October 2021 at 20:05.
Old 10th October 2021, 20:04   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
I think this is the good time for Tata to introduce AWD and few more nice to have features which they are already doing it by the way and steal at least few thousands booking from Mahindra considering it would take at least a year to process the current backlog of 50K. They can even go bit aggressive by adding a new screen and few other features and keeping the price in check.
Tata is always the last in bringing new features.
They didn't even have airbags in most of their vehicles till recently and were the last in bringing side and curtain airbags which are still not available on most of their vehicles. When the smart entry and push button start became common, they didn't have it on any vehicle for several years. Same applied for automatics. For so many years, they didn't have any automatic vehicle. Now that power seats and ventilated seats are common, they don't have them at all except on the Safari and there too it is not ventilated. Same applies for LED headlights. Not a single Tata vehicle has them even HIDs are present only on the Safari.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:27   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
8. Third row is actually usable. Not the most comfy, surely. But my 6'1" friend could sit at the rear. Knees all over the place, but he did say that back support and leg support was decent. Good to see AC vents and blower control for third row.
Firstly, XUV700 is a very competent car and has many class leading features.
However, to say third row is usable by adults is nothing short of fooling ourselves.
Please see the image below.
I'm 5.10" and of athletic build.
With 3rd row upright, my head is touching the roof and have hardly a finger squeezing between my leg and 2nd row.
With 3rd row reclined, my legs are completely intruding into 2nd row and I've a finger space between my head and roof.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211004_135505__01__01.jpg

XUV700 trumps in many aspects, but 3rd row space is not it's forte for sure.
dh.harshal is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:39   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachhaMan10 View Post
Found this on Instagram, looks like the plastic boot fared well in this accident.

This looks fake to me.
I have seen the XUV700 and I don't think it's that much strong to damage Hyundai this badly. (subjective)
Old 10th October 2021, 20:50   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
Firstly, XUV700 is a very competent car and has many class leading features.
However, to say third row is usable by adults is nothing short of fooling ourselves.
Please see the image below.
I'm 5.10" and of athletic build.
With 3rd row upright, my head is touching the roof and have hardly a finger squeezing between my leg and 2nd row.
With 3rd row reclined, my legs are completely intruding into 2nd row and I've a finger space between my head and roof.

XUV700 trumps in many aspects, but 3rd row space is not it's forte for sure.
I merely stated my observations.

And I specifically said it's just usable.
Not comfortable, or practical, or even passable. No. It is a compromise. No doubt about it.
Not trying to fool anyone here.

And I agree,
"XUV700 trumps in many aspects, but 3rd row space is not it's forte for sure."
Never said it was.

I think there's a very huge gap between "usable" and "forte". They are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

To me, usable is that at least an adult can fit in there. Be it with compromises. And as per even your photo, you do fit in there. That makes it usable. If someone had to travel in that position for say, half an hour, I think they'd make it.
ashishk29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:50   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I booked the AX7 Petrol AT online at 10.45am on the first day (7th October).
OTF: OTF22D000xxx
Mine is OTF22A0009**. Booked from bangalore around 10.30. AWDL.
febin8055 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:18   #2067
BHPian

Deliveries for petrol begins last week of Oct'21 (Diwali plan)

Diesel folks are greeted with some patience test. Deliveries begin last week of Nov'21

Mods: Found that this has been posted couple of pages earlier. If deemed duplicate please delete the post
Attached Images

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 10th October 2021 at 21:22.
CircleOfLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:23   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I booked the AX7 Petrol AT online at 10.45am on the first day (7th October).
OTF: OTF22D000xxx
Mine was booked through the dealer on 07th. OTF22A0006**. Model AX7 L AT AWD.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:48   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
autonomous body do the tests ?
I dont have a problem with manufacturers saying it is ready for GNCAP testing, but to say it's "5-Star Ready" somehow disturbs me a little.
Parameters on which the points are given is transparent (For example you loose X points for the engine intrusion, or steering hitting the chest, A pillar collapsing etc etc. If they say it is 5-star ready means, the manufacturer has done extensive internal testing and ensured that it addresses all those areas. But if they publicly say that their's is a 5-Star car, it doesn't carry any credibility and GACAP conducting the test and publishing it brings that credibility.
It is like a student scoring 100/100 in an internal assessment and be confident that he/she would score the same in the board exam
Guna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:04   #2070
BHPian

In my highway drive while I was cruising at about 90kmph in lane 1, I noticed a blue XUV 700 on my IRVM and could immediately notice that it was in very high speeds. It was a straight stretch of road and the XUV was on lane 2. Don't know what the maniac behind the wheel was thinking, just as he overtook me he 'cut' into lane 1 lost control and almost hit the median and then steered to lane 2 again back to lane 1 and later stabilised. All this happened in a few seconds. I could clearly see the guy in the passenger seat swing from one side to other with his hands trying to hold in to something. I few kms ahead it was parked off the road.

Not sure if it was a customer doing a test drive or service personnel just having fun but it wasn't safe at all. The car did manage to get back in control and performed as the driver expected else it would have been for sure a fatal accident. So ESP should have played is part effectively

But seeing this I have a feeling that test drive speeds should be electronically capped to 80kmph. Else some reckless moron will end up hitting someone on the road.

Last edited by Jude300 : 10th October 2021 at 22:05.
Jude300 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks