Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 16:58   #2116
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProModder View Post
If anyone is interested in the MX variant, they can checkout this video - https://Youtu.be/tDud-qCvO4k
Looks great and very useable. SVP also says that it is likely to be offered in AT version soon, which would be great!

Could be an interesting ploy by Mahindra to keep selling the MX (which was not earlier expected) in order to get around the semiconductor shortage issue. I'm sure the MX versions require much fewer semiconductors than the AX cars.

I might consider downgrading my booking if the AT version is offered soon, as I don't need too many gizmos in my car
nasir88 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 17:35   #2117
AYP
Senior - BHPian

While this video has been shared before, I am sharing it again as it answers one of the things which has been bugging me and many BHPians for quite some time. If you see the video from 3:40 mark, SVP explains how the door handles in the lower trims retract to stay flush during the drive-

AYP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 17:47   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post

Could be an interesting ploy by Mahindra to keep selling the MX (which was not earlier expected) in order to get around the semiconductor shortage issue. I'm sure the MX versions require much fewer semiconductors than the AX cars.
+1 to that

In fact with the MX variant , they can still target a lot of customers who are considering mid- variants of creta or seltos and top -variants of sonet or venue.

My friend and I cancelled our booking of creta and booked XUV 700 instead . We saved approximately 80 K and at the same time got a car with more power and space. Needless to say we did miss out on a few features like ACC , fog lamps etc.

Last edited by ani21 : 11th October 2021 at 17:50.
ani21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 17:52   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post

When I bought my Fluidic Verna in 2011, even the basic model came with Disc Brakes all around & had 3 head rests for the rear bench. However, within 2-3 years, to maintain the same prices, Hyundai went & replaced the rear discs to decidedly inferior drum brakes and removed the rear middle head rest as well. For a while, even if you had opted for the top most variant, you could only get rear drum brakes.
You’ve made a very important point, something that most people don’t take into consideration while taking a decision (or worse, are not aware of it at all). Most, if not all, manufacturers have done this at some point in time, and they try to get away with it by tinkering with not-so-visible parts (disc vs drum brakes is a classic example). Although Mahindra has enough room to gradually raise prices but we can’t rule out the possibility of them dropping features at some point to keep prices at a “comfortable” level.

Sounds like too much intellectual justification for booking a new car, doesn’t it ?
eagles_ts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 18:11   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles_ts View Post

Sounds like too much intellectual justification for booking a new car, doesn’t it ?
Haha! You are absolutely right!

I all along thought that I was immune to the herd mentality & wouldn't succumb to the FOMO effect. And I am ashamed to admit that what this has shown is that I am as vulnerable as the next guy! I really don't need a new car as my current ride has all the safety & comfort creatures and is very reliable.

So, all this mental gymnastic is to justify to myself only
Desi Dybuk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 18:28   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles_ts View Post
You’ve made a very important point, something that most people don’t take into consideration while taking a decision (or worse, are not aware of it at all). Most, if not all, manufacturers have done this at some point in time, and they try to get away with it by tinkering with not-so-visible parts (disc vs drum brakes is a classic example). Although Mahindra has enough room to gradually raise prices but we can’t rule out the possibility of them dropping features at some point to keep prices at a “comfortable” level.

Mahindra has deleted so many features in XUV300 too.
To name a few: Heater ORVM, 7th Airbag, etc.
Mahindra while increasing prices is also deleting many features.
Check the XUV300 thread, soon XUV700 will be a victim of the same.
rpmmachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 18:40   #2122
BHPian

Those who booked in the 2nd 25k slot on the 8th have best of both worlds. They get price protection + enough time to gauge reliability from initial owners and for Mahindra to sort out initial niggles.

I now wish I had waited and booked on day 2. FOMO got to me.
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:03   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
I'm impressed that the bumper is relatively unharmed, given how crumpled up the Creta is.
All these pictures show is that the Creta's front impact protection/crumple zone worked as specified to prevent any damage to the passenger cell.
The fact that the XUV rear end didn't crumple much would mean that the shock would have transferred across the length of the bodyshell, possibly impacting the strengthening members, cross members and the likes. Only when the car is put up for inspection would the true extent of damage be known.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:39   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Those who booked in the 2nd 25k slot on the 8th have best of both worlds. They get price protection + enough time to gauge reliability from initial owners and for Mahindra to sort out initial niggles.
That was my exact thought process for booking without seeing it in person. However as mentioned earlier, I am on the verge of cancelling mainly due to third row space or lack of it. Maybe Mahindra would provide sliding second row by the time they get to second lot, wishful thinking

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 11th October 2021 at 20:42.
Old 11th October 2021, 20:40   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProModder View Post
If anyone is interested in the MX variant, they can checkout this video - https://Youtu.be/tDud-qCvO4k
There is one major discrepancy between what the 360 degree experience of the MX shows on the M&M website and this video. This video review says "Besides that you get the glossy piano black grille with metal design elements" - however, the 360-degree experience does not show the metal design elements in the grille for MX. In fact, even for AX3 and AX5, the video review shows only a plain black grille without the metallic design elements. In my view these metallic bits make the otherwise overdone design with the swooping headlamp "walrus tusk elements" more bearable bearable. It also reinforces the distinct premium identity of the XUV700. I hope they provide it across all variants. Also the 360 degree view does not indicate the presence of wheel caps on the steel wheels in the MX an do so only in the AX3, however, the review video affirms the presence of these caps even on the MX. I think brands have to worry about the dilution of the overall premium positioning of the product through ugly elements such as uncovered steel wheels and blank black front ends through stripped down bottom variants. The cost savings and upselling potential that comes from keeping cheap bits on the bottom end variants results in downgrading the premium image of the product overall and M&M may have decided to avoid this by giving the MX bits a little bit of pixie dust!

The other bit that is a positive surprise are the piano black ORVM enclosures. This actually looks more premium than the body colored ORVMs. VW provides these exclusively on high end variants. Mahindra has reversed this and has provided the Piano black ORVM on the lowest variant

The interiors look good and I actually prefer the black interior to the ivory white ones on the AX7 trims, which tend to get soiled easily.

I do hope when they launch the MX Petrol Automatic "in a dew days" as SVP puts it, they first give the people who booked the MX petrol manual a chance to opt for the higher trim without losing their priority in the queue or their preferred pricing, and not open it up completely in the market only for new bookings,.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th October 2021 at 21:03.
84.monsoon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:48   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
That was my exact thought process for booking without seeing it in person. However as mentioned earlier, I am on the verge of cancelling mainly due to third row space or lack of it. Maybe Mahindra would provide sliding second row by the time they get to second lot, wishful thinking
Oh boy once you test drive and experience in-person you're not gonna want to cancel. Agree that the 3rd row seat is disappointing, however it is absolutely usable for 5' 8" and below. Anything above that is only good for short 30-40min drives.
Old 11th October 2021, 20:57   #2127
BHPian

Anyone who has booked on 7th, have you got any communication regarding the actual delivery dates?
Or did Mahindra just waste a bunch load of money on the so called " External Consulting group" and their proprietary Algorithm?
Old 11th October 2021, 21:11   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Going a bit OT here.

There is an exception though. The Kia Carnival. Even with the 3 rows in use, you have 540L of boot space available.
Truly, it had to be a Carnival .
Yet, technically, isn't it a 4 row MUV with 540 L boot space albeit with the 4th row removed!
4th row is more of an ambush anyway, just like the 3rd row is in XUV, Safari, Hector Plus, Alcazar and so on.

On a side note, MX Auto with piano black treatment beside the 8 inch screen would have looked classy, had they done it that way. I actually like the insides of the analog plus screen treatment. However, the outside of it could have been done more elegantly.

Still, MX Auto with aftermarket camera, alloys, fogs, small bits of chrome, seat covers etc. That's bang in the middle of Taigun-Kushaq-Astor-Creta-Seltos territory with a bumper powertrain and how. Dang!

Last edited by fazalmirza : 11th October 2021 at 21:16.
fazalmirza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:14   #2129
BHPian

Ok. Finally pulled the trigger for a AX7 L AT on Oct-11th.

Not due to FOMO, however knowing this booking will anywhere from 12 - 18 months to get delivered, registered a spot to be in line somewhere.

Booking Reference: OTF22A00XXXX
motorhead123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:22   #2130
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the XUV700 for the first time on road today on the state highways. It was coming in the opposite lane at a few hundred meters' distance. At first it looked like a bigger SUV, like those bigger toyotas. Must be the stance or the width or that silver colour, it did have a great road presence.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed