Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 13:12   #211
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgritesh View Post
Any first hand experiences on how well lane assist works with faded or missing lane markings? Same for ADAS, will it work in traffic chaos situation we have in Indian cities or is it more suitable for higway drives only?
Mazda3 owner here with most of the ADAS features, in my case lane assist does not kick in below 60 kmph and the camera/tech is pretty good at marking broken roads or even makeshift lanes due to construction. I found it even more useful in rain where I couldn't see the lanes.

My everyday driving pattern in Berlin is just like any big cities in India ( full of traffic , construction and unruly cabbies) and I still find the features pretty useful. Adaptive Cruise Control can be activated above 30kmph and the braking does work even at crawling speeds. I remember trailing a tram at 10kmph and all of a sudden the car braked on it's own as the tram stopped before I could take action. It does take sometime to get used to everything but once you are used to it, you can't go back. It's just like having front parking sensors and blind spot assist.
turbowhistle is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:20   #212
BHPian

Pardon me if this is a silly question, but can the ADAS equipment serve as a replacement for front parking sensors? Is that why Mahindra skipped such an inexpensive feature, one which its sibling gets?
Old 19th August 2021, 13:24   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Driving the Mahindra XUV700 2.0L Turbo-Petrol AT

The XUV700 has a McPherson strut suspension at the front and a multi-link independent suspension at the rear. Both have a stabilizer bar, while the dampers get high-tech frequency selective damping! The XUV700's top variant rides on 18-inch wheels with 235/60 tyres. Because our first drive was on excellent roads & Mahindra's test track, we cannot comment on the ride quality. This will be updated post our longer test-drive. First impressions (but only that) = the ride appears to be compliant overall, with a hint of firmness. We would like to reserve our opinions for the moment.
Why isn't there a lot more buzz around the FSD suspension on offer? I mean, which car at this price point offers this fantastic technology?

Is it because, the tuning isn't done properly? I'm just surprised there is very little information on this excellent piece of addition in the car. These are the kind of things that will stand out for a long time, every single time you drive the car.

Can someone shed light on whether FSD is on offer on all variants or whether it's reserved for some optional packs/variants?
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:28   #214
BHPian

Not only Mahindra has launched awesome car, they also came up with killer strategy which will kill many birds in one stone. I somehow see this as start of something big. If Mahindra can bring such good engines, technologies in affordable price into market then leaders of market such as Toyota/Suzuki, Hyundai, Kia, TATA will either follow something similar or better than this. Good days ahead for Indian auto market. We might see more surprises from other manufacturers in coming days.
The only question remains in my mind is that our road infrastructure should be equally improved. What are we going to do buying 200PS cars when there is varying speed limits on highways from 60km/hr to 120km/hr. There will be no way one can tap the potential of engine if the road infrastructure is under-developed.
GRAND23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:30   #215
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraViolence View Post
Finally we have some numbers to put behind the mystery. (Source: Sirish Chandran's Insta)

Does this make XUV700 a 5-seater with biggest boot?

Attachment 2195303
Will the five seater breach the 1150 litre mark in terms of boot space? That would be nearly double of the second best in segment MG hector's 587 litres!
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:50   #216
BHPian

First Thar now XUV700! Mahindra is on a roll! Few striking points:

1. Pricing.
2. Engine and transmission options.
3. Feature loaded.
4. Neatly handled launch and media drive.

If you want to watch a unbiased Malayalam review by BHPians, then you may check:

K_Drive is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:02   #217
Senior - BHPian

How dangerous is ADAS to a car trailing it (which doesn't have ADAS but only a not so keen driver)?

I am not accustomed to panic braking by the car in front of me (unless the signal is amber/cop ahead) and I feel the system will be mighty effective at a panic stop. Does this increase the risk of a shunt in our Indian context?
GeeTee TSI is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:06   #218
BHPian

A big thanks to the Mods for a short and quick review. Hoping finer details to be added once you get your hands on the vehicle in real life conditions.

Additionally I have a few questions related to the vehicle. They are as follows:

1. Is there any official information as to the GC of the vehicle? It seems to sit lower than Safari as far as I could make out from the videos.

2. The whole options pack? What does T and L stand for and whether all the optional features are available in both Manual and Automatic Transmissions or are there limited features specifically for the Auto?

3. While a lot of members are going for unofficial bookings, is booking through online mode(as and when the bookings open) better than doing it now unofficially through your dealer? Also, when bookings open, whether unofficial bookings will have any advantage over a booking made through online portal on the same day bookings open?

4. And lastly, How to convince yourself and your family to go for an Auto after they've been stranded on numerous occasions or faced multiple issues because of a faulty DSG?

Any help is highly appreciated.
Old 19th August 2021, 15:06   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Will the five seater breach the 1150 litre mark in terms of boot space? That would be nearly double of the second best in segment MG hector's 587 litres!
I also thought the same and I guess it could be near 1300 litre if the figure quoted by Sirish is for the 7-seater model with last row folded.

My Logic: For easy visualisation I asked myself a question, if we take out the 3rd row assembly (in the collapsed configuration) and stuff it in the 220 litre boot of the 7-seater model, will it fit? Ans: I don't think so.
That means the 5-seater variant can have an additional 200-250 litre of space available (conservatively speaking).

I know a boot of over 1000 litre is already plenty enough, so all the above speculations are just that, speculations.
UltraViolence is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:23   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
Additionally I have a few questions related to the vehicle. They are as follows:

1. Is there any official information as to the GC of the vehicle? It seems to sit lower than Safari as far as I could make out from the videos.

2. The whole options pack? What does T and L stand for and whether all the optional features are available in both Manual and Automatic Transmissions or are there limited features specifically for the Auto?

4. And lastly, How to convince yourself and your family to go for an Auto after they've been stranded on numerous occasions or faced multiple issues because of a faulty DSG?

Any help is highly appreciated.
I'll try to answer few of your questions.

1. Unladen GC is 200mm and fully laden is 160mm.
2. The best logic I got from watching numerous videos on this is that the L variant will be option pack curated for AT models and T variant will be option pack for Manual models.
Logically it makes sense because there are some options which have no place on a manual like adaptive cruise control, emergency braking etc. (I know few brands still offer emergency braking on manuals but it always results in stalling). I'd like to be corrected if I got this information wrong.
4. Well, the answer to this is in your question only. This ain't a DSG The Aisin sourced torque converter has been doing duty since XUV500 and am sure there is a huge difference in reliability of both.
UltraViolence is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:25   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
How dangerous is ADAS to a car trailing it (which doesn't have ADAS but only a not so keen driver)?

I am not accustomed to panic braking by the car in front of me (unless the signal is amber/cop ahead) and I feel the system will be mighty effective at a panic stop. Does this increase the risk of a shunt in our Indian context?
I guess the panic braking would be calibrated to Indian context that it will get activated only at the last moment (later than countries with developed road infra and driving behaviour).

However it is the responsibility of the driver behind to keep appropriate distance to the vehicle in the front (be it with or without ADAS) in order to react in panic braking scenarios. In Germany, the penalty (includes 1 or 2 months driving ban) for keeping less distance to the vehicle in front in Autobahn is severe than overspeeding.

Last edited by gopi_rm : 19th August 2021 at 15:41.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:29   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
I guess the panic braking would be calibrated to Indian context that it will get activated only at the last moment (later than countries with developed road infra and driving behaviour).

However it is the responsibility of the driver behind to keep appropriate distance to the vehicle in the front in order to react in panic braking scenarios.
Going by the videos in circulation, it looks like this ADAS is kicking in, really hard, and at the very last moment.

If I were following any such ADAS equipped vehicle, I would maintain much greater gap to the vehicle in front.
Old 19th August 2021, 16:02   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Another point is why Petrol variants don't have drive modes, AWD? If mileage was the concern, why give Petrol engines at all?
I think if Petrol had Zip, Zap, Zoom modes, then the Zip and Zap would have felt under powered (less torquey) when compared with Diesel. Thus, it is default in Zoom mode .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Going by the videos in circulation, it looks like this ADAS is kicking in, really hard, and at the very last moment.

If I were following any such ADAS equipped vehicle, I would maintain much greater gap to the vehicle in front.
Good point. All ADAS vehicles should have sticker mentioning "Warning! ADAS Equipped - May stop autonomously. Maintain Distance" on the rear glass.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th August 2021 at 18:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:14   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Good point. All ADAS vehicles should have sticker mentioning "Warning! ADAS Equipped - May stop autonomously. Maintain Distance" on the rear glass.
I disagree. Rather the drivers have to be educated to always keep a safe distance (minimum 1/4th of the driving speed in metres) from the vehicle in the front. Not only ADAS vehicle, a well trained & proactive human driver could also stop a vehicle instantly on seeing a sudden obstacle.
gopi_rm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:19   #225
BHPian

Thanks for the crisp detailed review !!

Absolutely in love with the offering by Mahindra, they clearly have landed a product giving serious bang for the buck, Korean twins would be taking a cut in the sales department for sure, especially in the sub 15 Lakh segment.

Waiting for the final pricing of the model offering all bells & whistles. Hopefully, the chip shortage is taken care off by then.

Also, No Ventilated Seats and Auto-Dimming IRVM is a bummer.
Zip, Zap, Zoom really Mahindra ??

Thanks again for the comprehensive review Loved It

Most Viewed