Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 17:46   #3001
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachhaMan10 View Post
My guess, Instead of sending 3 cars for 3 tests. They were able to do everything with 2 cars.
Front impact test was done with AX3
The variant used for side impact test is AX7L and looks like side airbags were intentionally disabled. They wanted to test ADAS features as well that's the reason Mahindra has sent AX7L.
This seems to be the most plausible explanation. They wanted to test AEB/ADAS, which is the only reason why they shipped an AX7L instead of an AX3 for side-impact testing. Side-impact testing is mandatory for a 5-star rating. At the same time, they need to keep the airbags configuration identical for front & side impact tested vehicles, as the count of airbags is explicitly stated in the crash test results. It may not have made sense to ship 3 vehicles to Germany, as Mahindra has voluntarily participated in the test, and the entire logistics cost would have been much higher for an additional vehicle.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv700-gncap.png
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SaferCarsForIndia+Mahindra+XUV700+2021+-+fact+sheet.pdf (546.4 KB, 189 views)
The Alchemist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:30   #3002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
The variant tested during the side impact test is the AX7 L variant.

Also did anyone else feel that the car actually overturned after the side impact test?
Most probably yes. Look at the right side ORVM which is broken. Car may have toppled on the impact from left side.
Attached Images

neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:38   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

Here's some latest dope on the XUV700.

1. First and foremost a big thumbs up to Team Mahindra who have come out with flying colours with the XUV700 performing almost flawlessly in GNCAP test, just as I had predicted a few months back. Now according to my sources, if GNCAP tests the AX7 variant then it will score an even higher score of around 43-44 for adult occupant protection because of the presence of a knee airbag for the driver.

2. Mahindra has already started preliminary work on hydrogen powered fuel cell technology and it may debut with the next generation of the XUV.

3. Contrary to reports, this generation of the XUV700 will not see a fully electric variant but there are high chances that a hybrid or plug in hybrid variant will come during the mid-life refresh of the product.

4. Mahindra powertrain engineers have benchmarked the Volkswagen group's 2.0 TSI petrol engine for their own MStallion engine in the XUV700. Their goal was to surpass the power and torque output figures of that engine which they eventually managed. Also as we know, the chassis was benchmarked against the Kodiaq.

5. Out of all the bookings received so far, around 30% are from Maharashtra while around 60% are for the petrol variant.

6. In the automatic variants of the XUV700 equipped with EPB, there is an inbuilt safety feature which does not disengage the EPB until the driver puts on his/her seatbelt. Waiting for confirmation on the same from fellow bhpians.

7. Currently Mahindra's production capacity for the XUV700 is capped at 4000 units per month due to various shortage issues and XUVs once sent to the factory yard are staying there for only around 3 days max before being shipped to dealers across the country.

8. As I had mentioned earlier, fresh batch of chips will arrive sometime in the 2nd half of next month and it will be just enough to continue the production till February end only. After that there is expected to be another round of chip shortage.

9. My sources have reiterated that all the initial niggles and QC issues will be sorted by April/May next year and we can expect fairly niggle free XUVs being produced after that.

10. Mahindra is using Vodafone/Idea e sim for the XUV700. Mahindra is sending XUVs from the plant without AA/Apple Carplay and dealers are installing this feature before delivery via OTA updates. Regions where there is poor connectivity for Vodafone/Idea are facing delays in updating AA/Apple Carplay. Also there is some issue with the final certification of Apple Carplay and thus its likely that Mahindra will remove this feature from the XUV700 for few months.

11. According to my sources, Mahindra has used poor quality rubber beading for the sunroof and thus its likely that the beading will develop cracks in around 2 years time. My sources are recommending use of silicon spray once a month to improve the longevity of the beading.

12. There is a fresh shortage of fuel injector system for MStallion engine which is being imported from China and this will result in a further delay in deliveries of petrol variants. Expect waiting periods for the same to increase by 1-2 months. Diesels are not affected by any component shortage as of now and their deliveries are expected to be on schedule.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more info.
ram87pune is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:51   #3004
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see the safety score, one more point for the XUV against its untested rivals. Still, I don't understand how the car almost toppled so easily, new gen is much shorter than the XUV5OO, wish should ensure better stability.
Old 10th November 2021, 18:54   #3005
BHPian

Hats off to M & M , for making a near perfect car.
If I’m not mistaken, this is the first Indian Car in 20 lakh plus category, which has achieved Five Star status.

This car ticks all boxes,
Engine
Tech features
Safety
First in the class features

It deserves the bumper bookings that it received at the launch. And also sets the bar high for all the competitors, to follow.
Congratulations to all the prospective owners of XUV 700.
NitSat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 19:04   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
6. In the automatic variants of the XUV700 equipped with EPB, there is an inbuilt safety feature which does not disengage the EPB until the driver puts on his/her seatbelt. Waiting for confirmation on the same from fellow bhpians.
This has been confirmed as working at least on the youtube videos that were uploaded by Jojo Wheelie.

Quote:
8. As I had mentioned earlier, fresh batch of chips will arrive sometime in the 2nd half of next month and it will be just enough to continue the production till February end only. After that there is expected to be another round of chip shortage.
If that is the case, what is the timeline that they expect to finish the deliveries for the first 50K deliveries?

Quote:
11. According to my sources, Mahindra has used poor quality rubber beading for the sunroof and thus its likely that the beading will develop cracks in around 2 years time. My sources are recommending use of silicon spray once a month to improve the longevity of the beading.
Is there visibility about Mahindra replacing this proactively?
normaltusker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 19:07   #3007
BHPian

Congratulations to Mahindra for the 5 star rating. Exceptional work done by Mahindra engineers. Proud to see engineers from India living up and surpassing international standards.

For others who say this is the AX7 or whatever, GNCAP specifically mandates testing the base variant only so as to ensure their rating applies to every variant in line up. The AX7L or AX3/5 you see will have all the additional safety features removed to match the MX variant.

Higher variants in practice will have even better safety rating. If the base variant with 2 airbags offers 5 stars, you can imagine the level of safety AX7L with 5 additional airbags will offer.
Tanmay007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 19:31   #3008
BHPian

First of all, hats off to Mahindra for achieving 5 stars rating

Two days ago, I had TD'ed the XUV700 Diesel MT since we are planning to buy a new car as the replacement for our 2011 Innova and was impressed by its engine performance. And, the brakes were sharp to be honest and to my surprise, steering is way lighter than our 2011 Innova as well as Harrier/Safari.

And, man, the Sony setup sounded well.

I couldn't TD the Diesel AT as they are yet to receive the TD vehicle. Once the TD vehicle arrives, will TD the Diesel AT as well soon.

The only grouse with XUV700 is waiting period. I was quoted 6-8 months of waiting period for Diesel AT variants as per the sales guy and since we might be needing the car immediately, we will be looking for other options as well. But, if its XUV700, will go for Diesel AT variant only.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 10th November 2021 at 19:33.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 20:22   #3009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Looks like Mahindra has started their PR work for damage control.
I probably missed it. But damage control for what incident?
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 20:33   #3010
BHPian

Well done Mahindra ! GNCAP 5 Star for XUV 700 is icing on the cake for those people who have booked it . Be assured now that those 75 K bookings are not going anywhere .
Old 10th November 2021, 21:41   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I probably missed it. But damage control for what incident?
For their botched up delivery process and lack of transparency around it.
Old 10th November 2021, 22:46   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind319 View Post
. They can still correct the process by being more transparent about the timelines, as many will be willing to wait longer but with a clear delivery date. Suspense is what is disappointing many.
Totally agree, lot of us knew what the market is going through on the chip shortage and the delays its causing, but Mahindra just disappointed all by saying "collaborated with one of the top three worldwide consulting firms to develop and implement an algorithm-based delivery method". What the consulting firm did was to enhance the marking strategy by prioritizing deliveries to ensure that the vehicle presence is there all over the country and did not factor the ones who had booked earlier. In the end, it was just about enhancing the brand.
hemanthbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 23:41   #3013
BHPian

The likes of Amazon / Flipkart and every other e commerce and delivery service has spoiled us with too much transparency to say the least !

The complexity for an end to end product manufacturing is beyond our imagination and it's funny to see some folks losing their calm for a delay of a month or two. Specially given the complex/ dynamic situation we are in today with regards to supply chain disruption.

Not to mention the infinite number of combinations in which the vehicle can be configured.

Just for Trivia, when the next gen Swift was launched in 2011 August, we had to wait for 6 months for the ZDi variant in spite of being among the 1st few bookings from a Tier 2 city

All I can suggest is enjoy the pain of the waiting period it's a moment to cherish when you finally get your hands on it
Sk8r is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 00:16   #3014
BHPian

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...99271.html/amp

Interesting piece on how Tata and Mahindra are dealing with the chip shortage. Sharing a few summary points:

1. Tata & Mahindra are sitting on an order book of 300,000!

2. Tata has halved the number of chips used in one specific component.

3. Tata looking to convert application-specific chips to standard chips.

4. M&M has created step-down variants of the in-demand XUV700 SUV, which lack some features.

Honestly, I am not sure if this is genuine innovation or simply some PR agency doing their job to put a positive spin on things.
charade is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 01:17   #3015
BHPian

Quote:

1. First and foremost a big thumbs up to Team Mahindra who have come out with flying colours with the XUV700 performing almost flawlessly in GNCAP test, just as I had predicted a few months back. Now according to my sources, if GNCAP tests the AX7 variant then it will score an even higher score of around 43-44 for adult occupant protection because of the presence of a knee airbag for the driver.

10. Mahindra is using Vodafone/Idea e sim for the XUV700. Mahindra is sending XUVs from the plant without AA/Apple Carplay and dealers are installing this feature before delivery via OTA updates. Regions where there is poor connectivity for Vodafone/Idea are facing delays in updating AA/Apple Carplay. Also there is some issue with the final certification of Apple Carplay and thus its likely that Mahindra will remove this feature from the XUV700 for few months.

The 5-star safety rating is sure to act as a balm for many people and make them hold-off on canceling their bookings owing to long waiting periods.

No idea why OEMs are prefering to use the Vodafone e-SIMs in their vehicles. First Hyundai, now Mahindra. Not sure about the rest. Vodafone = Unreliable service. Also, many people have faced issue with Android Auto & Apple Carplay both. Surely daal mein kuch kaala zaroor hai; why hasn't Mahindra been able to secure official certification for both for so long, from August onwards! Hope dealers are aligned regarding these OTA updates, or else running back to the showroom post delivery is going to be another pain.

The sunroof rubber beading did seem to be of low quality and quite poor when I had checked during the TD itself. When questioned, the SA meekly said "Sir, woh thoda cost-cutting kiya hoga company ne!" Can you please elaborate on the silicon spray and what it is? Can this be a DIY?

Last edited by IamNikhil : 11th November 2021 at 01:17. Reason: Typo
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks