Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 13:47   #4186
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
I feel you bro. I have an 8 year old Brio and I have booked AX7L D AT. But I have also many a times contemplated whether I should go in for something cheaper.
I have to remind my brain regularly that buying a car (the most expensive depreciating asset that you can buy) is an emotional decision not a logical one. See if your brain also falls for this.
Thanks, I tried the above trick but still head is overpowering the head as the difference will be huge 12-13L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I would say WAIT. Especially when you have booked top end variant.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Reading through your link now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Patience brother.
You keep your vehicles for long, so buy a new one so that at the end of 5 years, it's still new after a quick wash and polish ready for another 5.
If you are buying a diesel, please use it more often (DPF) otherwise please change your booking to petrol AT.
Makes sense. I will continue to think further on this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Some other items which are pushing me towards XUV500 over XUV700 are :

1) No DPF related issues to be handled as it is 2019 model.

2) For an annual running of around 7K km (I have mentioned max. 10K in my previous post assuming a new car joy will push me for addition 3K km per year), the price difference seems huge to brush aside and let heart win. Agree that everything should not be judged just by the cost but for someone looking at car in 20-30L price range, I think a difference of 12-13L becomes quite significant.

3) Fear of niggles in ADAS/Electronic gizmos of XUV700
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 13:53   #4187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
XUV7OO it should be.
Reasons resonated by others members are quite pertinent especially for 2 reasons.

1. XUV7OO is a vast improvement; you get a new generation car: read 10 year model change for XUV.
2. This could be your (our), last ICE car as many people should keep it for the next 5-7 years at least. So enjoy the best version of ICE for now.
Makes sense. I will continue to think further on this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
I feel you bro.
I have to remind my brain regularly that buying a car (the most expensive depreciating asset that you can buy) is an emotional decision not a logical one. See if your brain also falls for this.
Thanks, I tried the above trick but still head is overpowering the head as the difference will be huge 12-13L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I would say WAIT.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Reading through your link now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Patience brother.
Thanks. Any reasons why you didn't consider XUV500 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudanmohit View Post
However hard my banker at maths teacher try to convince me, I'll never go for 500 if I've a price protected awd 700 ready in September.
Right, price protection is a big advantage currently. This is one of the main reason I am still considering XUV700. But my brain teacher is telling me that don't listen to heart and is showing me excel with the difference in cost.

Some other items which are pushing me towards XUV500 over XUV700 are :

1) No DPF related issues to be handled as it is 2019 model.

2) For an annual running of around 7K km (I have mentioned max. 10K in my previous post assuming a new car joy will push me for addition 3K km per year), the price difference seems huge to brush aside and let heart win. Agree that everything should not be judged just by the cost but for someone looking at car in 20-30L price range, I think a difference of 12-13L becomes quite significant.

3) Fear of niggles in ADAS/Electronic gizmos of XUV700[/quote]
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 15:15   #4188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
Thanks. Any reasons why you didn't consider XUV500 ?
XUV5OO holds its value rather well, good ones wont come cheap especially at this time where the used car prices are generally quite high.

I do understand that you do keep your vehicles for long, so it is better to buy New and maintain it like New as this one may hang onto you till its FC is up for renewal.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 17:08   #4189
BHPian

Quote:

I am thinking of taking this XUV500 instead of plonking 29Lac on XUV700 which I can manage to shell out financially but feels like waste of money given the running I have.

Can you please advise me on what should I do and if I go for XUV500 what should be the right price to pay for it ?

Many thanks.
Hello,
I think you should stay with your XUV 700 booking. Here are my reasons:
1. You have a price protected car, you should definitely stick to it.
2. The XUV 500 is already 3 years old. After 1 or 2 years you may feel the car is outdated and want to replace it again. Which would be another big expense.
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 19:37   #4190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
I got my AX7 PET AT delivered on Sunday.
I would like to share my experience driving my AX7 Petrol AT for around 1000KM now. Drive was a mix of extremely bad rural roads of Bangalore, decent highways till Wayanad, narrow roads of Wayanad and ghat roads of the Nilgiris.

Pros
I know I will be repeating points shared by many already, still...
1. Apart from the excellent power delivery of the engine which gives breath taking acceleration, it is braking excellently too. Noticed a huge pothole while overtaking a truck and I was sure that the car won't stop before that pothole based on my Baleno experience. Car stopped well before the pothole and the hazard lights switched on automatically. I do not have speed or distance to quantify the braking performance, but it was definitely a notch better than my Baleno.
2. I had a concern in my earlier comment that I find braking while following a vehicle with smart pilot is too early for my liking. I find it working well for my liking now by setting it a level closer by pressing the cruise control toggles.
3. Ride is very comfortable! After a 10hr drive constituting Nadugani ghat roads of Nilgiri, decent highways, pothole ridden stretch between Kanakapura and Bangalore, and the bad roads in Bangalore, we were still feeling way to better than our earlier trips.
4. I have gotten very used with the light steering and feels comfortable with it at all speeds. I have now started feeling that my Baleno steering is defective .
5. Many instances of people asking about the vehicle!
6. Having petrol written on the fuel cap; very helpful at pumps where folks may think these heavy cars are diesel.
7. Glide over most of the speed breakers and potholes! It still cannot beat the speed breakers of Bandipur!
8. Very airy and bright cabin. My kids who gets carsick often is feeling much better in this car.
9. Engine braking is working well once shifted to manual and 3rd gear. I could control the car well with engine braking while going downhill from Nilgiris on Nadugani ghat roads. HDC is also perfect in some of the steep slopes elsewhere.
10. Enjoying ground clearance a lot! No scraping till now even on some real bad roads.
11. Turning radius looks great and good park in some tight spots where I wasn't sure the car will get in. I think Mahindra has not disclosed it yet.
12. Not a lot of tyre noise even at good speeds. My car came with Apollo Apterra HP.
13. Nice arrangement in the glove box. A small shelf to keep documents, pen holder and card holder are nice touch.

Cons
These are nit-picks and I totally love this car. Sharing these for information.
1. Software is absolute crap! 'Navigation not available' randomly, volume resets and FM comes out at full sound, randomly the audio balances to one of the speaker, distortion while set in 'Studio mode' etc. are very annoying.
2. Every warning on the MID came up like Diwali twice. Both the times, I was reversing very slowly. When this happened, car didn't let me shift out of P too. Warning went away after switching off and on couple of times. SA things some wiring issue as it is happening only intermittently while in reverse gear and as all the warnings together doesn't makes sense.
3. I found co-driver side entry a bit congested. I hit my head against the roof while getting in!
4. Too large gaps which can collect a lot of dust! Below the tailgate and doors, below the rear glass etc.
5. No light in the boot area. Bought a pocket sized Groz led lamp for now from Amazon!
6. No 12V point except in the 3rd row!
7. High beam assist appears to be a bit too sensitive. I think it is triggering even in case of some street lights!
8. I had to get used to the brief pause before the vehicle start crawling forward once you let go off the brake. Couple of times I accelerated, it lurched forward! Also, the sudden movement is a bit uncomfortable while parking in tight spots.
9. Manual and MID recommends first service between 800-1000km! Everyone in service center were checking 'Have you completed 1000km?'.
10. I noticed that the handles didn't retract back into the door on couple of occasions. Not sure what caused it!

I also got graphene coating done from Rapid Carz Spa Sarjapur road after the first service. Excellent work! They took care of all minor scratches, swirl marks that existed right from delivery and couple of tar spots; and made the car sparkle! Excellent interior cleaning too. A few of photos below.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20220107-19.14.28.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20220107-19.14.38.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20220107-19.14.351.jpeg

Last edited by impala : 13th January 2022 at 20:06.
impala is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 20:41   #4191
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow Bhpians,

Need some expert guidance from the fellow mates on the dilemma I am facing.
I am no expert but I read your post twice to make sure if I missed a key piece of information, and that is the asking price for the 3 year old used 5OO. Looks like its not mentioned anywhere. It sounds funny to me to make any analysis such as this without that key info. And its funnier that there are so many responses to your post (I read them all) that are advising you this way or the other (with most of them asking you to opt for the 7OO).

In one of your follow up posts/responses, you mention that the price difference may be as much as 10-12 lacks or more. So, on a financial basis alone, I think the 5OO is a no-brainer! The opportunity cost of the 12 lacks (excess on 7OO) will pay for the operating cost of the 5OO (given your low running).

I read people talking about technological advancements in newer models; but are they really that big, over a 3-4 year period, that warrant opting for a somewhat similar vehicle that costs almost twice as much? If ICE tech was advancing that fast, by now these puppies should be flying.

I know mine is an unpopular opinion that most won't appreciate, but I think its a waste of money purchasing the 7OO (regardless of the perceived savings from the locked in pricing). The 5OO has already gone through its biggest depreciation (first three years) and is broken in, first 3-4 services done, etc. I am pretty sure it looks, feels, and drives like new.

And your fear of the electronics and gadgetry in the new(er) vehicles is legitimate - its mostly gimmicks that no-one cares about after the first few months; and in fact a liability, if you ask me. That just means more ways for your vehicle to break down. Nobody needs that.

Unless it is a vehicle that cannot be bought used or if you MUST drive a never-before-used vehicle, its really hard to justify the purchase of a brand new vehicle (especially from a financial perspective and in a market like India). Furthermore, in your use case, it seems, to me, the 7OO would be a mistake.

Another scenario I can think of to buy new is when you know the vehicle is going to hold its value really well or is a collectors item (I once bought a pre-owned scooter, used it for eleven years, and sold it for more than I initially paid).

A year ago when I moved to India, I wasn't even planning on purchasing a vehicle. Prices here are ridiculous for sub-par products. But Covid forced me to, and I bought the cheapest and smallest 4x4 automatic truck I could find on the market. I had to buy it new because there weren't any used ones on the market.

I don't know how old you are but go ahead and park those savings, the extra money you won't be spending on the 7OO, in some index fund so you can buy yourself a brand new Tesla with it, on the day you retire.

Retirement is another scenario I think warrants a new car, a new house, and everything new with the lowest maintenance possible. In fact, in retirement, I would like a subscription service for most things. The only exception to this is a new spouse/partner, because those are high maintenance when new and I doubt will ever be offered as subscription.

I digress. Like I said, I don't know the asking price for the 5OO, but if you can snag it for ~30% below its original invoice price, go for it!

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th January 2022 at 11:18. Reason: Please go easy with the language. Thank you!
fjcruiser08 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:40   #4192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Am no expert but I read your post twice to make sure if I missed a key piece of information, and that is the asking price for the 3 year old used 5OO.
I digress. Like I said, I don't know the asking price for the 5OO, but if you can snag it for ~30% below its original invoice price, go for it!
Wow, a big shout out to you for reading through all these posts in so much detail and more so for putting your detailed response as well. Many many thanks to you.

I had not put the price of XUV500 as I had also requested the forum members for share their thoughts on how much it should be. No one seems to care about it in front of XUV700 comparison which I found quite interesting.

As you have rightly deciphered, the deal price of XUV500 is around 17L and is roughly around 28% of the OTR the owner paid for this car and as mentioned, it means a difference of around 12L between this and getting XUV700.

I am in early 40's and not sure if this age information changes your response in any way. If so, please do share that as well. I may close the deal tomorrow as the current owner has other offers.

The oneway responses by various members like "go for XUV700" was making me nervous and I was thinking what am I missing but your response has given me confidence that I am not alone in thinking what I am thinking

Last edited by viscosity : 13th January 2022 at 21:42.
viscosity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:54   #4193
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians

A few queries - would appreciate your inputs.

1. Specific to fuel. Am planning to go for petrol [AX7 AT L] since my running would be low (8K km/ year) and I don't want to get into any diesel related DEF issues as well. Is this a wise decision?

2. Specific to Bangalore. Could you provide inputs for which dealer provides the best experience - both sales and A.S.S.?
I am located in HSR but don't mind any dealership in Bangalore Urban generally as long as the experience is positive and dealings are clean.

3. Probability of getting the car by Diwali 2022 if I book in February?
Old 13th January 2022, 23:25   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
As you have rightly deciphered, the deal price of XUV500 is around 17L and is roughly around 28% of the OTR the owner paid for this car and as mentioned, it means a difference of around 12L between this and getting XUV700.
A 3 year old discontinued car for just 28% discount on the original price? I wouldn't touch it.

Don't forget that the original price includes 1% TCS (which the buyer gets back), and a fat insurance premium. Reduce these, and road tax for 2-3 years, and you aren't getting much discount for the depreciation.

Also, even if you are not into the electronic gizmos, do note that the 700 is a much safer car.

Later if you decide to sell your car, I think the 700 would fetch you 12 lakh more than the 500.
pseudo_coder is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 04:06   #4195
BHPian

Quote:
The oneway responses by various members like "go for XUV700" was making me nervous and I was thinking what am I missing but your response has given me confidence that I am not alone in thinking what I am thinking
I too second fjcruiser's response. I think you are much better off saving the 12 lakhs rather than spending it on the 700.

I find it a little funny reading through the advises of how you are missing out on a price protected vehicle. I mean come on it is not like they are doing you a favor by protecting the price you are paying for the vehicle. It is your hard earned money.

With regards to the XUV500 we have 3 in the family (owned by relatives) 1 is a 2014 XUV500 AWD. My uncle is super happy with his car and still has it today. The XUV also holds its resale value well.

A 3 year old car with 28% depreciation and still having 2 years extended warranty. I don't think that is a bad deal despite it being a discontinued model. The 500 sold in huge numbers so you would be covered for a long time.

Also if you really think about it 17 lakhs these days gets you not even the top-end Creta or Seltos.

Lastly if you feel you would be content with the 500 over 700 then I think you should go for it.

Last edited by Shanksta : 14th January 2022 at 04:13.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 07:02   #4196
BHPian

Quote:

Just happened to read this. Many are advising 7OO as if buying that is a Jackpot, that too waiting for several months. While it could be a very good car and at a good price point, it still costs 29L for the top version. For your use case, the identified 5OO is a good buy with a saving of 13L. I think one will get all the basics and more in that 5OO and you can still drive it comfortably for many years

Seeing the new car prices and what they offer, I really think I made a right decision to buy a top end, used Innova Crysta variant for 17L an year back.

Go with the 5OO if it fits all the used car check points

Swami

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th January 2022 at 08:05. Reason: Quote tags fixed
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 09:00   #4197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthbs View Post
.He also mentioned that all vehicles being delivered till Mar'22 would be of 2021 manufacture. Surprised to hear this as this could be true for Jan'22 deliveries. Not sure if this true or just a statement being made without any facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piy12b View Post
Probably a hidden agenda to shift you to another vehicle. Otherwise, if they really had a car manufactured in say mid-Dec 2021, with such huge waiting, why would that not get delivered by Jan?...
Quite possible. Mahindra seems to have mass produced the vehicle with only chips pending so they can install as soon as these are available. There was a report that they have been driving the cars to the manufacturing yard by swapping chips from vehicles. It should be true.
Old 14th January 2022, 09:11   #4198

Oh yes, me being close their Chakan plant in Pune can confirm there are tooo many XUV 700s manufactured and waiting for the chips. So yup I won't be surprised if people get 2021 manufactured cara till March/April this year.
Gaurav_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 10:10   #4199

As we talk about this there is news of a hike in prices of Mahindra Thar as well by 45k.
Are these price rises really justified with the kind of backlog Mahindra is already having with the deliveries? I made my booking last month only. Owning a Thar has been a dream and such regular price increase makes me question a lot of things..
Old 14th January 2022, 10:16   #4200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
I would like to share my experience driving my AX7 Petrol AT for around 1000KM now. Drive was a mix of extremely bad rural roads of Bangalore, decent highways till Wayanad, narrow roads of Wayanad and ghat roads of the Nilgiris.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I have booked the same model but in white color. Could you also share the fuel efficiency figures you got under various conditions?

Most Viewed