Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 21:14   #4366
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
By the way, am I right in saying that XUV5OO didn't have independent suspension in the FWD format, whereas XUV7OO has independent suspension for both FWD and AWD. That's why you are saying you got a better suspension feel?
It had in both versions, their AWD will have an additional cradle for the diff and axle.

Like you would see in FWD minivans like carnival XUV needed that for providing more room for the feet as a torsion beam would need the rear floor to be raised up wasting a lot of space underneath. Also to keep the steering sharp and avoid the squat as you pin the A pedal to the floor. You can drive a fully loaded XUV5OO like a madman and it will do what you want.
Old 24th January 2022, 21:52   #4367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
Received a mail from dealer for delays in AWD delieveries .

No specific dates/months provided .

Just some vague words for the delays, due to "global shortage of few specific input components"
Here too they have been very selective in terms of sending emails. In my case, there is no update at all. Would you mind sharing your booking date?
Old 24th January 2022, 23:11   #4368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
Here too they have been very selective in terms of sending emails. In my case, there is no update at all. Would you mind sharing your booking date?
I got the message from Shiva Auto who is a dealer and not from Mahindra. So maybe dealers are sending this email. I was given a CPD of Jan 10th which got pushed to Feb 15th.

Overall my experience with Shiva has been very painful. I get no responses from them. My original booking no more shows any tracking date. Instead they created another duplicate booking datd January 12th. They claim price protection will apply but havent heard anything from Mahindra. On Mahindra's site my new CPD shows as October 2023.

Today I went to see Dark Safari and was blown away with the way it looks. Also, all the new functions work perfectly whether it is car play or airpurifier. My patience has run out and I booked the Safari. Have been allocated a vehicle for which I will do a PDI on Thursday and close the deal.

If Mahindra had told me in October that I will get a car in July, I would be fine but this constant moving around of dates is irritating and unprofessional. It seems to me that they want a part of customers to cancel.
Torque_Cruiser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 02:22   #4369
BHPian

Hi Fazal. My 2 cents on this questionnaire. I have owned and driven a 2011 XUV5OO W8 AWD for more than 8 years clocking 1.4 lakh on the odometer before selling it last year, so I believe I'm eligible to answer them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
1. Do you feel any extra vibrations, noise, or anything else when it transforms from front wheel drive to all wheel drive?
No, there's no vibrations or any noise when you either manually lock it to AWD or it automatically unlocks at higher speeds.

Quote:
2. Is there any marked difference in fuel efficiency of front wheel drive vs all wheel drive?
Indeed there is. AWD XUV is heavier than its FWD counterpart due to obvious reasons and as such I would find 1-1.5kmpl difference on highways and almost 2 kmpl difference in city traffic in comparison to what a close family friend was getting on his 2012 XUV.

Quote:
3. Any extra maintenance that you had to do in the last 5 years for AWD?
While it has been a somewhat smooth experience( barring few niggles) for me in terms of maintenance. I would consider myself one of the lucky few if you're familiar with the AWD horror stories that the first batch of 1st Gen. XUV5OO owners suffered.
In the video below at around 4:15, the host describes what I mentioned.

We had booked 3 XUVs in 2011 among family, two AWDs and one FWD. While the FWD had minor niggles and our AWD was in the same boat, my uncle's AWD was a hot mess and he had to visit the service center more than 6 times in the first year if I remember correctly. Eventually, he got so tired of the clunking/rattling/knocking, he sold it off at a loss. I have had heard numerous stories of such issues even till 2017 on a w10 AWD.

Quote:
4. When did you feel AWD came into great use on tarmac or elsewhere?
So in my entire 8 years of XUV5OO, I've had to use the AWD only twice.

First incident was when there was heavy downpour and I proactively engaged the system.

The second time was when I went to Spiti with my cousins hoping to test the AWDs as I was wanting to shift from the driver-intrusive 4x4 system. Without any doubt, the AWD failed miserably when it came to snow and black ice and that was the last time I took XUV to Spiti in winters.

To be honest, the AWD was better in only two aspects when compared to the FWD in XUV5OO: More traction in certain conditions and that ugly Torque Steer in the FWD. XUV7OO has little to none torque steer and very well contained road manners compared to its predecessor.

Currently, I have two bookings under my name, one for AX7L D MT and another for AX7L AT AWD. Now, what worries me is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
5. According to my sources the AWD system in the XUV700 is pretty poor when it comes to tackling off road conditions and that's another reason why it was not much highlighted during the media event in Chennai. Mahindra has only given this feature to have an on paper advantage against the competition from MG and Tata. If you are looking at doing anything more than mild off roading then you should wait for the all new Scorpio.
Given that it would be a 1st Gen 1st batch vehicles, I believe the questions that shall be asked are these:
  1. The first question, if Ram you can answer, is whether XUV still retains the Bog Warner system?
  2. Secondly, given that it will be a Torque on Demand system much akin to the XUV5OO, can you please elaborate on how it will be a poor AWD given that Torque on Demand is meant for offroads and Full time AWDs for asphalt roads?
  3. Why is Mahindra all hush-hush about their AWD system given that it's the USP of their vehicle?
  4. The most substantial issue among these is if any major niggle does pop up in the AWD system, will the dealership technicians be able to solve it, given it'll be a first batch vehicle? Hoping you know, Mahindra would always go for replacement of the AWD system rather than finding and fixing the issue. Their technicians were too incompetent on resolving AWD issues back in the day.
  5. What about the AWD heating issues that Autocar reported back in the day in XUV5OO.
    https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...ability-397740

What really baffles me is point 2 and 3 of the aforementioned list and why till date there has been no review of the AWD system when back in 2011 Mahindra was keen on showing off their AWD system and launched a video specifically stating how it works. Why is Mahindra so silent when it comes to AWD on the XUV7OO?

Concluding on this topic, I would say that I'm still to make my choice on the variant I will buy but given how numerous and how frequent I heard the stories of awful breakdowns in the First gen First batch AWDs, it's something that is keeping me away from buying an AWD. Maybe I'll go for an AWD when the second facelift drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Car selling at 25 lakhs would cost at least 30 lakhs 5 years from now.
If the brand has high release value (ex: Toyota) car bought at 25 lakhs should fetch 20 lakh (for the buyer, it is still 10 lakhs cheaper than a new car)
For brands like Mahindra, it should still fetch around 15 lakhs.
My estimation is based on the used car prices in Bangalore.
Recently, a close friend of mine, purchased the 2018 XUV5OO W10 with 30k on the odo for around 13.50 lakhs which equates to say a 40% value depreciation in 4 years. So for a 30 Lakh Mahindra costing 15 lakhs after 5-6 years is plausible. For a Toyota, it would still hover at 22-24 lakhs(a friend recently sold his Crysta top end)

Edit: It seems everyone who has booked an AWD has been given 15th Feb as the delivery date. Is it with everyone? If so, Is Mahindra planning on a delivery spree of AWD across India on a single day?

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 25th January 2022 at 02:35.
Moto_Bear is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:16   #4370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
Hi Fazal. My 2 cents on this questionnaire. I have owned and driven a 2011 XUV5OO W8 AWD for more than 8 years clocking 1.4 lakh on the odometer before selling it last year, so I believe I'm eligible to answer them.
Thanks a lot bro.
You nailed it.

Can't say I am not a little scared on choosing AWD now
fazalmirza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:27   #4371
BHPian

This is a good video of a long drive in XUV700 AX7L Petrol, averaging 12.5-15.8 km/l
sudhirjaipur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:51   #4372
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Check this video wherein the owner of a CNG conversion company had visited the showroom to checkout feasibility for petrol cng conversion. His initial remarks were that it's possible.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=fwPi3u-n7Gk
I've seen this champ with a CNG converted petrol Thar! Has anyone on this thread dealt with him personally?
Meanwhile, I bought a Diesel Thar earlier this month - one can only speculate whether such conversions will ever be RTO ratified and if so, whether this can result in a meltdown of downstream filters/emission systems.

If anyone can advise - Diesels are as complex as they get, I know that bit.
However, are Petrol BS6s complex with respect to emissions systems?
IIRC they work with a straight EGR and CatCon - no additional filtration requirements that Diesel would otherwise mandate.

The dealer has offered me a FIFO delivery exception - I can get a petrol variant on short notice depending on what model lands in his stockyard. However, I have long 1K KMs runs 2-3 times a month, and I simply cannot afford the petrol bills!
Old 25th January 2022, 14:28   #4373

Finally brought the beast home.

Ride is smooth, no issues so far with the small drive I have had. However one thing I noticed is that the speaker on the A pillar on driver side vibrates a lot and even on keeping the music in flat mode, it still vibrates. Has anyone faced similar issues?

One more question was should I go ahead with a base cover for the car? Normally this is done by removing seats and putting a cover like on the floor so that the floor doesn't get dirty and can be cleaned or wiped off easily. Should this be done in XUV, I had done that in my Brezza and it helped a lot.

Another question I had was can I go ahead with putting seat covers on AX7 variant? Will it hinder the air bags or any such thing, i am really concerned about the interior getting dirty due to kids and my dog.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20220124_174039.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2022 at 18:49. Reason: Capital letters, typos, spacing
bluelotus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:54   #4374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelotus View Post
Another question i had was can I go ahead with putting seat covers on AX7 variant? Will it hinder the air bags or any such thing
Congrats on the car and wishing you many blissful motoring miles. The general rule with seats that have airbags is you can put a seat cover that does not wrap around the seat. The shoulder of the seat has the airbags and that region cannot be covered. Get a cover that just drapes the back support and under thigh support while leaving the sides open.
Tokengrip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:28   #4375
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I took delivery of my AX7 Luxury Diesel Automatic (13382) on the 5th January 2022 from Punj Mahindra Hoshiarpur (Punjab) which is one of the worst dealerships I have ever seen. The vehicle itself is a gem and so far, I have enjoyed every second of driving it.

My delivery experience was not very pleasant and I had to involve Mahindra customer care many times to fix things with the dealer. Mahindra customer care was very helpful every time. In the past, I had very pleasant experiences with Nissan (Jalandhar), VW (Jalandhar), two Mahindra dealerships in Jalandhar (Makkar and Raga) and never faced any of these issues with them.

Booking:

I booked the vehicle on the very first day i.e. 7th and transferred the money to the dealer 2 months before for the booking itself. I sold my main car which was a Nissan Teana in December 2021 because the news that the XUV will launched was circulating and I had decided to sell it and use my i20 for the rest of the time till the XUV700 arrived. The booking was smooth. 2 days earlier, my sales advisor advised me to add the desired vehicle to the cart, and at 10:02 am my booking was punched in.

The dealer called on 17th December that the vehicle would reach the dealership on 20th and the delivery was planned for the 25th.

Vehicle arrival at stockyard and PDI:

My vehicle arrived at the dealership on 26th December 2021. I did the PDI as per the Team-BHP checklist on 27th December 2021. As you all know, in India, we have respect for our parents' religious thoughts and shubh mahurat, etc., the way they are brought up and are comfortable with. Therefore, the delivery day was decided as 5th January 2022. The same was told to the dealer. Here comes the worst part. The sales GM from Punj Mahindra told me that it was not possible as they had to bill it on the 30th or latest on 31st because of sales pressure. I had requested him that this way my insurance will also start from 31st and my vehicle will be there at the dealership. It was just a matter of 5 days, but he told me that this order was from Mahindra itself. I came home and decided to drop an email with a tweet to Mahindra customer care. They replied positively that for 10 days, every dealer should hold the vehicle and on the 11th day only could they pass it to another customer in the queue. The regional sales head as well as the GM of Punj Mahindra Hoshiarpur was in the CC list in the reply to my email from customer care. I called him and confirmed that the vehicle will be billed and delivered on 5th January 2022.

Insurance and Accessories:

On 17th December 2021, I had requested a sales advisor for a list of what all accessories were available with them as I had selected so many accessories online to buy along with the vehicle. She told me that they don't have any of the requested accessories other than sidesteps and a rear bumper guard. I immediately told her to book both of these for me and it was decided that I could order other things like pedal covers, illuminated scuff plates, satin (matte) chrome body cladding, etc online, which they would fit for me as they didn't have these in stock with them and they had not ordered any of these.

I had placed an order for all the accessories on 17th December 2021 and only 2 items were delivered only on 2nd January 2022 after lots of emails and follow-up with them.

As the vehicle delivery was planned for 5th January, for a smooth delivery, I went to the dealership on the 3rd to hand over the accessories to them i.e illuminated scuff plates and satin (matte) chrome body cladding so that they could install them a day before delivery.

I chose Tata AIG Insurance as they have a cashless tie-up with Mahindra. Added all the bells and whistles and got 25% NCB transferred from the previous car. Rs. 67,000 was the premium for the AX7 L Diesel Automatic with all the add-ons. The dealer quoted Rs. 95,000 for Tata AIG with all the add-ons. So I took it directly from Tata AIG customer care on call.

Delivery Day:

A day before delivery i.e. on 4th January, I called the dealership to confirm the delivery time and it was fixed for 1300 hours. At around 1100 hours, my friend reached the dealership before my family to check if everything was ok and to our surprise, the accessories handed over 2 days earlier were not installed and the car was super dirty. He called me and then I followed up with the SA. At 1130 hours they called me to inform me that one of the illuminated scuff plates (opposite to the driver's side) was damaged, a wire came out of the unit itself. I was shocked because if they had checked on the 3rd itself, it would have been rectified till now. But on the delivery day, what could I do? I called M2ALL customer care and they were very helpful and told me to remove all the 4 pieces and they would arrange the pickup as well as replacement once the parcel with the damaged pieces reached them. I took delivery of the car without scuff plates.

Except for Rs. 1.2 lakhs (approximately), the money was already sent to the dealership a day before the delivery i.e. 4th January 2022. But still, no one entertained us and we were sitting there in the dealership waiting for the delivery. The XUV was sent for washing and cleaning after 1530 hours only and my family was frustrated till then.

At 1630 hours they settled everything, and I bought an extended warranty as well as RSA for the 4th and 5th years. Finally, the car was delivered after 1630 hours and to my surprise, it was not properly cleaned. The seats were dirty and the interiors, as well as the exteriors, were dirty. But I didn't want my family to wait anymore. So we took the delivery at 1700 hours (approximately). They didn't even explain to me any of the features and told me that home installation will be done in a day or two. No one showed me the tools or the warranty card for the battery.

The dealer refused to install mud flaps, which were available with them as they didn't have an accessories person available with them.

After delivery experience with Punj Mahindra, Hoshiarpur:

After delivery, I was waiting for the home installation, but no one called me. I called them for the home installation and waited for 12 days, but nothing. In between my system hung twice (black screen) and Alexa was not working. The battery got drained. I went to Mahindra Jalandhar for a software update.

No one came from Punj Mahindra and that forced me to tweet. After a tweet and email, someone called me for the home installation. I told him about the battery drain issue and Alexa not working to which he told me that he will bring the software update for my car.

A person from Mahindra Kotak, Mr. Manpreet came and updated the software. He told me that Punj Mahindra was like this only and they would work only when they get complaint emails from customer care. He was well educated and very helpful. Got my system updated to version 6.0.41 (something like this).

XUV700 AX7L Diesel Automatic problems and observations:

After a bad experience with Punj Mahindra, I decided from then onwards to go to Makkar Motors, Jalandhar for everything.

After the day I got the home installation done, I didn't use my XUV for 2 days, and on 3rd-day, I decided to go to Makkar Motors for the 1st service, but the car refused to crank as the battery was dead again. I called the dealership and they told me that RSA would take around 2 hours. So, it would be better to take help from the local battery shop to start the car and come to the dealership.

I called the local guy who came with spare batteries and a charger as well. He connected the charger for 10 mins, removed it, and asked me to check. I tried and the car started. Then I went straight to the dealership (Makkar motors, Jalandhar). I reached there at 1050 hours, told them about the battery issue and that Alexa was not working at all. He appraised me that a new software update was available and they would do it for me.

It took 7 hours for the 1st service as the dealership was super busy and got my car back at 1730 hours. I checked the software and it was updated to version 7.00.11, which is the latest one till today. Alexa is still a surprise for me, sometimes it works and does not work most of the time. I think the problem is with the Vi SIM card and not with Alexa.

Problems encountered till now:

1) Battery Drain Problem: The car suffered twice from the battery drain problem and I feel this is due to the connected car features like remote start/stop and other features such as tracking the vehicle online at all times. I think the 4G SIM card is draining the battery and the users should be given an option to disable the connected features from the system settings so that once you shut down the car, it should disconnect everything from the battery. I don't use the connected car features at all. If someone wants to use these features, they can enable them from the system settings in the car. Following androdev's thread (Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger)on Bosch C7 Battery charger, I have ordered one for the backup. My family is making fun of me that after spending more than Rs. 25 lakhs, I need a battery charger for the car, which was never required in my previous cars - not even in the Nissan Teana or the i20, even if I didn't use them for 6 months.

You can check the videos on Captain Sareen's YouTube channel for the same. Here is the latest video by him.

According to him, the problem is in the "Silver Box". If this is the case, then I expect Mahindra to officially recall and replace this part for everyone. Not everyone uses the car daily and not everyone likes the connected features. This problem must be solved ASAP for everyone.

2) Alexa doesn't work: I don't need Alexa at all. I have the Gaana premium app and would request the Mahindra team to add Gaana to their app store. Mahindra should focus on adding a few more apps to their app store like Gaana, Apple music, etc. The problem is with Vi SIM card as whenever my car is in the garage (which is open on 2 sides), on startup, I can't even see the Alexa symbol on the infotainment screen and Alexa doesn't work. I need to take the car outside on the street, park it there, and restart the car 2-3 times for Alexa to work. While on the highway, Alexa stops working when we are out of the city. Even at a few spots in the city, it won't work at all.

3) Cruise Control (Adaptive Cruise Control): AX7 L Automatic comes with adaptive cruise control. To use cruise control, you need to enable the emergency braking. Otherwise, if you select "Warning Only", the cruise control will not work at all. This is such a pain in cities like ours, where people don't drive in lanes and according to rules. Someone will overtake you through a small gap and your ADAS will kick in for emergency braking and someone can hit your car from behind. I have tried adaptive cruise control at least 30 times and it won't work in my city. We need an option for normal cruise control in the AX7 L Automatic as well, because after spending more than Rs. 15 lakhs, I am still driving without cruise control. I never experience this problem in my previously owned cars and present cars with normal cruise control.

4) Continuous recording through 360 degree camera in AX7 L: As explained by the service manager, the AX7 L can record from the cameras into the memory card continuously if installed. I gave them a 16 GB memory card. But there is no option to transfer the recording from the pen drive to phone via the software through the USB port. Mahindra should look into this and provide us an option to copy the data.

While I enjoy driving the XUV700 every bit, I am waiting for the Mahindra team to solve all these problems with software updates. Mr. Anand Mahindra should look into such dealerships that are defaming the Mahindra brand. Mahindra can soon replace Toyota in terms of customer support as well as reliability as per my experience so far (subjective).

Few pictures here from the day of delivery:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_4970.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_4975.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_4977.jpg

Battery problem:
Name:  ezgif.comgifmaker.gif
Views: 1242
Size:  5.85 MB

XUV700 battery while charging through Bosch C7 battery charger:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5609.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5612.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5613.jpg

Latest software version:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5654.jpg

The Alexa symbol has not appeared and Alexa is not working:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5656.jpg

After restarting, the Alexa symbol appears and Alexa is working. Mahindra should add the time along with date here:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5660.jpg

iPhone 13 Pro Max sits perfectly in the wireless charger slot and is getting charged:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220125_184351.jpg

The symbol shows that the phone is charging through the wireless charger:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220125_184406.jpg

Fuel Log on Mahindra's "WithYouHamesh" app is better than the "AdrenoX Control" app as it also shows the kilometers at which fuel was filled. I am using both apps right now and will see which one is better for calculations and you can see the cost per km there only.

AdrenoX Control screenshot:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5662.png

WithYouHamesha screenshot:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_5663.png

Last edited by Aditya : 27th January 2022 at 19:27. Reason: Edited for readability
rpmmachine is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:39   #4376
BHPian

While enquiring for my delivery dates with the SA, I came to know that BH registration is not possible for private employees in Karnataka even if your company has offices in four or more cities. It is there in other states but not Karnataka. What a bummer, I was very much interested in BH series.
Old 25th January 2022, 20:24   #4377
BHPian

One minor issue I am facing with XUV700 is in the dark it becomes quite tough to find the handle in the non luxury variants. This is not the case with other cars because the handles are protruding. I hope they come up with some kind of illumination in the handles to make it easier.
Enthusiast81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 00:20   #4378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Hello Everyone, Took the Delivery of my AX7 Luxury Diesel Automatic (13382) on the 5th of Jan 2022
Thanks rpmmachine for sharing your experience, Congratulations on your new car!!! Wish you many happy miles. I hope Mahindra will take care about the initial niggles reported. Maximum niggles reported are mainly software/tech related, not so much on mechanical issues which is a good sign.

I am scheduled to get my car in the next month, will share my experience with everyone here.
MobilisAdvento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 08:53   #4379
BHPian

Woke up to an 'advisory' notification from Adrenox app. Below was the full message!

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20220126084719590.png
impala is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 09:49   #4380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Woke up to an 'advisory' notification from Adrenox app. Below was the full message!

Attachment 2264997
Smart way to put the onus on the owner and gently point fingers at kids for battery drain. Or Mahindra is politely cautioning the owners that cars equipped with telematics are bound to drain the battery. Does XUV 700 shut down the HU if it's fiddled for too long with the engine shut? I've observed that in Kia where after couple of warnings it shuts down. Telematics of course will drain battery if the car is parked for many days.

A word of caution to those who remote start the car via the app. Each such start is going to drain the battery further nor idling the car would quite juice up the battery either. It's better to use a car charger or take it out for a spin every 4-5 days if one's to park the car for extended periods. Remote start option shouldn't be used for the purpose of juicing up the battery in such scenarios. It'll make the battery die down eventually after few such starts.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th January 2022 at 09:59.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed