Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2022, 19:43   #5746

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar30 View Post
My XUV700 AXL DSL Manual completed the first 1k kms and no mechanical niggles. Car is breeze to drive and there’s a smile on your face when you push the pedal, amazing feeling. However I am experiencing a jarring sound in my music system, is it a hardware or a software issue? Anyone else experiencing the same?
Quick Update - First service done and software has been updated. The jarring sound is less but still I’d say 90% satisfaction. Eagerly waiting for Apple Carplay as service personnel said with invent of carplay lot of software will be updated. Everything else is buttery smooth!
Old 12th June 2022, 00:40   #5747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Have they tried steering calibration? One user got it resolved through steering calibration.
Yes I did try steering calibration. This was the remedy to minimize the issue. Problem is still there. Step on the accelerator and beyond the speed of 50kmph, the issue is more pronounced and the vehicle quickly swerves to the left. Have ignored it for the moment as they had already kept the vehicle for 4 days to play around with steering calibration. Will take it up with them again once I have some spare time at hand.
Abhikumar629 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 01:29   #5748
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Gallingly, the petrol AX5 does not even get ESP
If I am not mistaken, the AX5 petrol AT has ESP whereas the MT misses it out.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 13:58   #5749

Is anyone else also having problems with the infotainment panel with his/her XUV 700?

I got mine delivered in December 2021 - went on a long roadtrip recently and found that the central LED console would keep rebooting while driving. A scary feeling!

On contacting the Mahindra Customer care, they organized a software update (I had already updated the software before embarking on the trip) in Delhi. The LED panels worked fine for 1 day and then again created problems. By the time I reached Dharamshala, it was the same old story again.

This time the dealership/workshop in/near Dharamshala (J S Grover) was contacted - they took over three days and replace the LED panel. Effectively ruining over two days of my trip.

On my way back to Kolkata, the LED did reboot spontaneously for a few times. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.

Anyone else has had similar issues?
Old 12th June 2022, 14:38   #5750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
A question to the XUV 700 owners. I recently checked out the AX5 7 seater diesel AT. I understand from the brochures that Cruise control is available only on the AX7 and AX7L variants. Is this true?

I own AX5 D AT 7-Seater and there is no CC available in this particular model. Besides this, I personally felt that AX5 models are actually Value for Money because Ax7 & beyond would have more Electronics and all of us know how M&M works. Drove XUV 5OO for a decade and I know how it was when it comes to electronics/ sensors.

However, I was also amazed to see that there is no CC. It was available a decade back in my W6. Infact, 5OO was much better in many aspects (despite being cheaper by almost 8-9 Lakhs).

Key Differences (W6 vs AX5 D AT 7-Seater):
1. Cruise Control as we are already discussing.
2. Storage Space was bigger in W6, atleast 25-30% based on my experience. Side bottle holder area is so big that it simply wastes valuable space.
3. Boot space isn't that deep, as compared to W6. Earlier, we could vertically place a big suitcase and it used to remain just below the middle row's height. It isn't the same now. It actually surpasses the middle row's headrest.
4. Front Seat's rear seat used to have that storage area (sort of net where people can store some files/ papers/ cell phones). There is no such provision in AX5.
5. There is a considerable gap between Steering & front door. You can't place your elbow on either the surface where Power Window Buttons are there, nor where your glass area is. Very frustrating for long drives. It was so painful for my elbow when I drove from Dehradun to Manali last week that I need to keep a small cushion below my elbow so that it doesn't remain airborne.
6. Reverse Camera: Though even W6 didn't used to have one in it. However, these things can be easily done from aftermarket or even M&M is supplying them.
7. No option of Flat Bed. My kids have been traveling with us for long drives and were super happy with Flat Bed. However, in this case there is quite a gap between middle row and last row when put down. Infact, we had to insert 5-6 cushions in the gap so that it somehow becomes smooth.
8. Middle Row Space: floor was absolute flat in W6 and there was no protruding AC Vents in middle as well.
9. 12V Charger: Imagine how someone would use Air Compressor by inserting in Third Row 12V socket.

Every forum/ YouTube channel would tell you the Positives but only those who use these vehicles for long can tell you the actual situation.
Not saying that it is a bad vehicle. I am super happy when it comes to Engine smoothness & power. However, there are certain things that I would like to highlight here because I have used W6 for 10 years before I bought my AX5. Everyone is aware about how good the current segment is, no point discussing them again and again.

Hope I am able to clear some air !!

Last edited by naveenchhillar : 12th June 2022 at 14:42.
naveenchhillar is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 18:24   #5751
BHPian

Today on my drive from vijayawada to hyderabad, i have encountered auto emergency braking (partial) and since then the entertainment and infotainment systems were not working properly. Driver side display became little blurry. The letters are not crisp. Surround Camera button or app was not working. Screens were getting turned off and turning on themselves multiples time. Audio was not working, any source and any warning sounds were not working. I stopped the vehicle couple of times and started with couple of minutes wait. Camera app /button started working. Audio problem and driver side display blur still persists.

Any tip/tweak before i visit the showroom?
Old 12th June 2022, 19:45   #5752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by telugite View Post
Any tip/tweak before i visit the showroom?
Infotainment/screen/audio related issues have been reportedly fixed in recent updates. Check your system software version. (refer to my post a couple of pages back on the latest version and how to see it)

If you’re already on the latest version, the issue could be with the silver box.
Old 12th June 2022, 22:21   #5753

Received the below message from Mahindra today,
"
Hi VIVEK, Your dream SUV is on its way to becoming a reality. Your very own Mahindra XUV700 is all set to go into production. We appreciate your patience and look forward to making you a part of the Mahindra family.
"
So, on an average how much more time does the delivery take?
rayXR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 22:30   #5754
BHPian

New query on Bug deflector. I have been driving Honda City for last 6 years and drove more than 1Lakh KM most of it on high ways. For some reason XUV Windshield is getting way more dirtier as if it is a bug magnet.

Is Mahindra's Satin (Matte) Chrome Bug Deflector useful? Anyone tried it and how does it work and look?

Quote:
Audio problem and driver side display blur still persists.
Issue is fixed after giving a 30 min break to vehicle and starting the vehicle. Strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Infotainment/screen/audio related issues have been reportedly fixed in recent updates. Check your system software version. (refer to my post a couple of pages back on the latest version and how to see it)

If you’re already on the latest version, the issue could be with the silver box.
Thank you. I am not on latest version. I have to get it updated. I am very sceptical with software updates as the silver box failed two times when flashing, once before vehicle delivery and once with replacement.
Old 12th June 2022, 22:53   #5755
BHPian

Quote:
New query on Bug deflector. I have been driving Honda City for last 6 years and drove more than 1Lakh KM most of it on high ways. For some reason XUV Windshield is getting way more dirtier as if it is a bug magnet.

Is Mahindra's Satin (Matte) Chrome Bug Deflector useful? Anyone tried it and how does it work and look?

Issue is fixed after giving a 30 min break to vehicle and starting the vehicle. Strange.

Thank you. I am not on latest version. I have to get it updated. I am very sceptical with software updates as the silver box failed two times when flashing, once before vehicle delivery and once with replacement.
I feel bug deflector is more of aesthetic upgrade rather than utilitarian benefit.It gives a different character to the car like well groomed moustache/beard.
Gaddibuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 23:56   #5756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... A certain Youtuber posted a video about his XUV in which he has demonstrated the problem, and he says that it's not getting resolved through wheel alignment...

https://Youtu.be/DGSxwJo86lE
The YouTuber complains of it changing direction after going over undulations. This seems natural. The road surface interacting erratically with the tyre would exert some force for the tyre to change direction. I suppose steerings can be designed with differing amount of centring force. Excessive might make it inconvenient. XUV700 anyway has a very light steering.

Despite the YouTuber's claim, almost no road is level (left-right direction). IMO, it is not abnormal for a vehicle to gently veer one way (typically left, due to the slope of roads in India) if one totally leaves the steering wheel; more so at higher speeds; also while accelerating in a high torque vehicle (more below). Am quite unsure of how valid the YouTuber comolaint is.

Of course, if excessive, one should address the issue, as otherwise it would lead to tyre issues and poorer FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhikumar629 View Post
Step on the accelerator and beyond the speed of 50kmph, the issue is more pronounced and the vehicle quickly swerves to the left.
This made me think if Torque Steer is to blame. XUV700 is known to have a significant amount.

~~~~~

For those unfamaliar:
Quote:
TORQUE STEER is the tendency of a vehicle to pull to either the left or right under acceleration. ...

... While torque steer can be caused or exaggerated by things like unequal inflation in the front tyres, it’s more commonly caused because of the nature of a front-drive car, the transversely mounted engine (as distinct from in line, facing forwards to backwards).

Most front-wheel drive vehicles have the engine, transmission and differential all wrapped up in one package. And because it’s all got to be stuffed in the engine bay with the engine in the middle of the two front wheels, the transmission and differential are pushed to one side, which means the half-shafts to each of the front wheels end up being unequal in length – and so they react to torque loads differently.
Should I care? Probably not. The only people that should worry about torque steer are car enthusiasts who own higher-powered front drive cars that they are intent on driving hard and fast...
Link: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...ers-or-doesnt/

Last edited by Poitive : 13th June 2022 at 00:21. Reason: Refinement.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 09:18   #5757
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The YouTuber complains of it changing direction after going over undulations. This seems natural. The road surface interacting erratically with the tyre would exert some force for the tyre to change direction. I suppose steerings can be designed with differing amount of centring force. Excessive might make it inconvenient. XUV700 anyway has a very light steering.

Despite the YouTuber's claim, almost no road is level (left-right direction). IMO, it is not abnormal for a vehicle to gently veer one way (typically left, due to the slope of roads in India) if one totally leaves the steering wheel; more so at higher speeds; also while accelerating in a high torque vehicle (more below). Am quite unsure of how valid the YouTuber comolaint is.

Good point, @poitive. A slight change in direction after going over a breaker or pothole is quite normal, especially in cars that have a minor play or limp around the centre of the steering. My Baleno has very sluggish steering with minimal self-centering action, and I have to correct the direction each time it goes over an irregularity on the road.Also, the road camber plays an important role in the left movement of cars. The only way to rule it out is to drive on the same road in the opposite direction and check if the car moves to the right. If so, then the steering is correct and the left-right movement is due to the road camber. Of course, in such cases there is no noticeable strain on the driver's hands.

But, that raises a question here. Are most of the complaints regarding left-movement simply the normal behaviour of a car? Some cars do have more complaints than others, like the Harrier, Safari, and recently the XUV, and the Tata Duo has been bashed a lot for this problem, but the reason behind that can also be that the owners/drivers of these cars are mostly enthusiasts who care and observe every aspect of their ride, while others simply ignore these minor things. Sorry if I am going a little off topic here, and please do point me to the correct thread.
Old 13th June 2022, 14:05   #5758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
With no signs of my AX7L AWD delivery and the dealership also pushing the CPD dates further at each tentative billing date - i wonder if it makes any sense to reach out to the Mahindra salespersons covering Mumbai / Maharashtra for some credible inputs. Not sure if the email IDs of the Mahindra sales managers were shared earlier on the forum, but any leads shall be very helpful. The website too refuses to budge from the Order under Planning for over a month ...
Happy to share that i received a call from the dealership today informing that my car has been billed!!! Seems the much awaited date is near To be fair to the dealership, viz Randhawa Motors Vikhroli, they got me to speak to the M&M regional ASM for me to voice my concerns over the constantly shifting CPD dates whereas people who had booked much later were receiving deliveries. While the ASM did promise his best, i guess i got a bit lucky. Now onto the happier bits:
- i now need to decide which accessory to add (if any). Any suggestions? Parents and in-laws are quite old and i was told the footrest helps the elderly quite a bit. Does the M&M original accessory make sense or after-market ones?
- Any feedback on the M&M mats or after-market ones are better?
- The insurance has upfront asked for an insurance quote which they will match happily. That was a nice gesture
- I maybe eligible for BH registration. Wondering if it is worth the effort (getting any forms signed by the co can be very time and effort-consuming)
- I gather from the previous posts that the screen protector is better bought from amazon etc? Would someone have the link handy?
- Hope to do a pdi next week at the Bhiwandi yard - anyone been there? Any suggestions on how to go about it? (I already have the PDI checklist) For now, the dealership does not seem too keen to allow me a visit, but i have insisted
Old 13th June 2022, 14:28   #5759
BHPian

Quote:

Of course, if excessive, one should address the issue, as otherwise it would lead to tyre issues and poorer FE.

This made me think if Torque Steer is to blame. XUV700 is known to have a significant amount.

~~~~~

For those unfamaliar:

Link: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...ers-or-doesnt/
Completely understand your rationale here but is this something that is acceptable? With ADAS switched on, for someone who is behind your car, it will give the impression that you are drunk. With this assumed Torque Steer issue (I mention assumed as it still does not seem to be emanating because of high torque), the ADAS ends up becoming useless as throughout your journey, you will be playing the zig zag game with the steering correcting every 5 seconds to prevent the vehicle veering away.
Old 13th June 2022, 18:28   #5760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only way to rule it out is to drive on the same road in the opposite direction and check if the car moves to the right.
This would be a reasonably fair test, provided no significant undulations on the road; also keeping the points below in mind. It would usually mean driving on the wrong side of the road, and would need due safety checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhikumar629 View Post
Completely understand your rationale here but is this something that is acceptable? With ADAS switched on, for someone who is behind your car, it will give the impression that you are drunk.
ADAS or no, especially in Indian conditions, I do not think that leaving the steering while driving is a good idea. Further:
Quote:
But, that raises a question here. Are most of the complaints regarding left-movement simply the normal behaviour of a car?
Quote:
It really would depend on how much the vehicle veers in a direction and under what conditions.

1. If one leaves the steering free, it is only a matter of time that it will veer in one direction or the other (also road-camber induced)
2. If acceleration is causing it, then to consider Torque-Steer.
3. Higher speed would cause change in direction faster as the vehicle is faster and all things will happen more quickly. Also because the tyre grip is reduced at higher speeds, as each part of the tyre which is providing grip to the road is in contact for a shorter span.
4. Higher tyre pressure too will cause it to happen more easily, as the road traction is lower, as is the capacity to absorb undulations.
5. Different tyre pressure at that given time too would have a bearing. This can happen due to very slow leaks etc.

Though it would change with steering design, tyre pressure, road camber and other factors - in most normal conditions of low road camber, IMO, a pressure of a light finger's worth is quite normal; more would get my attention.

Back in the day, one of our vehicles had a significant such issue and was quite sorted out by a smart fellow at our regular tyre shop. From what I recollect from ages ago, it involved manual thread based alignment by the smart fellow, tyre rotation, tyre pressure checks. This was after others, including the authorized service centre had failed. Tyre conditions too play a role - especially if uneven wear on a tyre; also if left and right aren't equally worn out, which could happen due to differing tyre pressures.

OT: For decades, have felt that tyre pressure in general doesn't get the attention it deserves, and am glad that TPMS is gradually catching up.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks