Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 11:55   #1321
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProModder View Post
The petrol version of XUV doesn't make much sense considering the petrol prices which will reach probably 150 next year. Alcazar doesn't really feel like an SUV. It feels more like a sedan and considering I already have a Verna I will probably give it a miss.

Have you confirmed the Alcazar petrol automatic mileage? My petrol Verna AT gives around 8-10 in the city and 15 on the highways and only makes 120 bhp.

You are right about the Hyundai service, they really treat you like a king!

The only options that I am thinking of are the AX7L XUV700 and Harrier XZA+. The Jeep Compass is also a great option but a lot more expensive and feels cramped compared to the Indian SUVs.

As i said, i am quite confused. I just shared my thoughts and Alcazar came to my mind as i was planning to book one before the XUV 7oo hype got created.

I have a friend in Shimla who has a Petrol AT Alcazar and he is getting about 8 Kmpl in the local town drive and about 12-13 on Hilly highways and about 15 on normal/plains Highways in comfort mode with AC on most of the times. His Alcazar is due for 1st service and FE figures are bound to improve after that.

Still confused, might wait for AX7 Diesel AT AWD+ option pack to become available or until some other car attracts me. I am in no hurry, as i have 3 cars all of whom have done about 40K each and they have plenty of life left and i would need to dispose one of them to get the XUV or some other car.

I know that Alcazar doesn't really feel like an SUV, but neither does the XUV look like a hardcore SUV (though the SUVish stand is better than Alcazar), here Safari clearly stands out.
Old 1st October 2021, 12:03   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Well, even if it is the dumbest AWD out there, it should still be better than an FWD car.
Why? The added weight of AWD will make the car drink more fuel in regular day-to-day operations and may make it a worse handler besides impacting shockers, brakes, tyre-wear etc. So if one is carrying around this extra hardware, one needs to be sure how capable and how reliable it is.

I am also asking because I remember reading a thread which had a video on 'XUV500 AWD fail' where it failed to climb on a gravelled slope out of a river. A not-so-good AWD will lead to owners trying things in overconfidence which they should not. Of course one way is to drive and found out but I am sure not everyone here who is showing excitement about AWD really is an experienced off-roader.

Last edited by pkk077 : 1st October 2021 at 12:09. Reason: formatting
pkk077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:09   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Personally I feel A5 is the best option out there. comes with only required tech and no unwanted gizmos that can potentially make your life hell with all those niggles !!

Only wish they gave 6/7 airbag option in A5 as well.
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:18   #1324
BHPian

After all the reviews it turns out it was just some hype to get people talking. Making people choose between two top specs seems pointless. Not many will buy the AX7L to just be a mall crawler. Those people have better options available. Anybody with an AWD will want to put it to some mildly adventurous use where the 360 can be very useful. Must say I am disappointed
caffeineAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:19   #1325
BHPian

Pricing for all the variants will be justified after GNCAP ratings.

Anything above 4 star will be great and people can buy the variants according to their budget.

I feel it's bit unjustified for people cribbing on overpricing in some variants. M & M invested heavily in R & D and it is time we support our home grown auto makers (but they should also strive to provide quality products without niggles).

Being in Chennai, I know many people in the auto sector who keep rotating jobs between Ford, Hyundai, Renault-Nissan, etc. So it is not about the people but the process that is sorely responsible for the quality. Hope XUV700 can deliver that and becomes a huge success !!

Last edited by RaghavEvoX : 1st October 2021 at 12:21. Reason: Correction
RaghavEvoX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:33   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1.a View Post
I am an AWD noob-
Can we enable AWD manually on the XUV?
What's the power distribution between front and rear?
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on AWD or what kind of AWD system Mahindra has put in XUV700.

AWD is a system where the power is always distributed automatically to all the 4 wheels (need not be equal distribution and in most cases, power is predominantly sent only to the front). There is no manual input required or possible. Some AWD systems will come with terrain modes that helps the AWD system determine how to distribute power but I did not see any reviewer talk about whether this capability is there in XUV7OO.

It's also to note that AWD is only meant for better traction and soft off-roading. It's not a replacement for traditional 4x4 where you'll have a transfer case (that helps decide 4H, 4L, 2H kind of configurations) and differential locks.

The below video briefly explains this. If you haven't come across this channel already, it is one of the best channels to learn about mechanical systems in cars (in my humble opinion )

krishnakumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:42   #1327
BHPian

I actually don't think its badly priced. Issue is that they showcased the pricing of the lower variants first and now everything else seems more expensive. If you look at it in a way, this is a car that goes head to head with the Tucson/Tiguan/Kodiaq/Compass and not the Seltos/Creta/Taigun segment. However it has been priced in the Seltos segment.

Yes, Mahindra doesn't command the price of the Germans and the Koreans but this is still a substantial discount. A diesel Compass with 6 airbags is north of 30L+. The XUV 500 last I looked was retailing around the 20L mark and the 700 is a new car all together and a huge step up.

Its realistic competition is Safari and Hector (this doesn't have a Diesel AT). While the Safari looks better (in my opinion), the initial reviews do seems to heavily favor the XUV 700 (more to be seen though) and it does have a lot of new features. Personally, I would rather focus on the safety, build, driving dynamics, engine and capability of the car over features and gizmos. The main issue is the luxury package and that has been talked about substantially.

Last edited by kartavya : 1st October 2021 at 12:45.
kartavya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:53   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Pricing for all the variants will be justified after GNCAP ratings.

I feel it's bit unjustified for people cribbing on overpricing in some variants. M & M invested heavily in R & D and it is time we support our home grown auto makers (but they should also strive to provide quality products without niggles).
I dont think most people are unhappy with the pricing. The aspect that is annoying most people is in how Mahindra has distributed their variants and the features they have allocated to each variant.
BharathXUV700 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:06   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
Alcazar and Hector look much better specced from base and mid trims in comparison.
Okay so I have started exploring the Hector now that the XUV700 AX5 has turned out a dud, and I only want a mid spec 5 seater AT.

I took a look at this newly launched Shine Variant which is a new mid spec type variant. It costs 15.7 Ex Showroom for the Auto CVT. Below is a walkaround of the same.

Benefits it offers above the XUV700 AX5 from my perspective:

- Full 1 lac cheaper in auto spec.
- Gearbox is CVT, might be better suited for my city needs.
- Delivery will likely be faster, and car will be free of new launch niggles.
- Waiting period will likely be less
- ACC and keyless entry
- Rear armrest
- Auto hold and EPB
- So unnecessary cheapening of interiors (silver garnishes and polished inside door handles)
- Cloth upholstery looks more upmarket than drab ones on AX5
- Single pane sun roof (less prone to damage)

Cons over AX5:

- Chinese car
- Sunroof not panoramic
- Engine less powerful
- Stance is a bit MUVish

Since I have not TD any vehicle, will be open to thoughts on what others feel. Hector looks like a no-brainer to me as of now...

nasir88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:12   #1330
BHPian

Prices from Coimbatore Dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv-700-diesel-prices.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv-700-petrol-prices.jpg  

nazeer_ahamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:15   #1331
BHPian

Like most of you, I have been waiting for this launch for 1-2 years and was very much inclined towards getting a top end with AWD.

A quick question to experts out there - If I buy an AWD version, what all features from the L pack can I get it added as an accessory from Mahindra?

1) Immersive 3D Sound Technology - 12 Speaker system by Sony,
2) 360° Surround View,
3) Blind-view Monitoring,
4) Passive Keyless Entry,
5) Electric Smart Door Handles,
6) Vanity Mirror Illumination,
7) Mobile adaptability charging provision with Wireless Charging.
1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:20   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Personally I feel A5 is the best option out there. comes with only required tech and no unwanted gizmos that can potentially make your life hell with all those niggles !!

Only wish they gave 6/7 airbag option in A5 as well.
I was thinking the the same as well, but ACC and rear armrest are glaring misses one cannot get around.

MOD NOTE : Please do not type with dots, use punctuation marks instead. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st October 2021 at 13:40. Reason: Mod note attached.
nasir88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:47   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000bhp View Post

A quick question to experts out there - If I buy an AWD version, what all features from the L pack can I get it added as an accessory from Mahindra?

2) 360° Surround View,
As of right now, only the wireless charging ability is included as part of the official accessories list provided by Mahindra.

I am attaching the official accessories list for your reference. The brochure allows reverse parking camera to be added from the dealer’s end. If so, I don’t see why the dealer cannot add the 360 cameras as well. Also, if 360 camera setup is allowed and done, it is only a small software update that will need to be done to get the blind-view monitoring feature to be enabled.

Vanity mirror can be DIY fix. For ex: https://www.amazon.in/Mirror-Lights-.../dp/B07TQ687Y8

Only obstacle is Mahindra allowing the dealers to provide such services.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XUV700 Accessories Catalogue.pdf (4.19 MB, 631 views)
BharathXUV700 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:53   #1334
BHPian

Even though AX5 AT seems under-featured, when we compare it with ATs available at a similar price for the Harrier (the XMA AT variant), AX5 AT suddenly seems much better. Correct me if I am wrong (stating according to what is displayed in Car Dekho), but the Harrier XMA AT doesn't even contain alloy wheels, no sunroof, no apple car play, no android auto, only 16 inch wheels, no LED headlamps, much smaller boot, no one touch operating power windows, no cornering headlamps, only 2 airbags, No wifi connectivity etc.

The only features available over AX5 AT on the XMA AT are electrically adjustable front seats, EBD, ABS, Hill Assist (are these confirmed in AX5 ?). So even AX5 AT (the costliest AX5) is not as bad as we think in this segment, or am I again trying to justify things ? Of course the tech on those like Creta or Seltos which are a segment below might be better at this price point, but hey that's applicable for most mid variants in comparison to the top variants of lower segments right ?
APB98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:55   #1335
BHPian

I have the same question as well

AWD + Keyless Entry will be a good deal for me. I will probably meet the dealer and do a TD later in the evening today. Will try to update my experience in the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000bhp View Post
Like most of you, I have been waiting for this launch for 1-2 years and was very much inclined towards getting a top end with AWD.

2) 360° Surround View,
sudharshan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks