Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 20:18   #1366
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
But it does appear to me that somewhere, the variant&pricing decisions (It is introductory pricing, and the expectation is that it will rises soon, right?) are more due to some business compulsions driving users to topmost variant and making quick money from a few vehicles than offer something really compelling in each price bracket that will retain competitiveness of the product for years and will also fetch great resale value.
This captures my thoughts in words. I looked at the AX5 spec and thought it might have been documentation error. Apparently not.
Old 1st October 2021, 20:59   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
In spite of having 20+ variants to chose from, with price ranging from 12 lakhs to 21.6 lakhs, I could not find ONE single variant that comes close to my requirements or expectations.

The feature spread is really poor in my personal opinion. I strongly felt that the core equipment list just doesnt match with the fantastic engine power, high strength metallic structure and suspension specs.
Ax5 has disappointed a lot of folks(subjective) and I'm in the same boat.
Kindly have a test drive before you come to any conclusion, and let's wait for the aftermarket mods as Cruise control can be fitter aftermarket also in many other cars but I don't think this is possible in Xuv700 as its available in ADAS variant only.

I was waiting for this car only and will go for a test drive tomorrow with family and then I will decide between Xuv700/Safari. The last option will be Xuv300/Creta.
rpmmachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 21:21   #1368
Senior - BHPian

For someone who wants the top-end, it's a no-brainer between the Harrier twins and the XUV7OO. NCAP rating of even 4 stars should tilt things towards the Mahindra.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-imageresizer.jpeg  

giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 21:37   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
let's wait for the aftermarket mods as Cruise control can be fitter aftermarket also in many other cars but I don't think this is possible in Xuv700 as its available in ADAS variant only.
AX7 has normal cruise control. AX7 Luxury pack has adaptive cruise control. Below is a snippet from the brochure.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv700.jpg
Interestingly AX7 has ADAS. I would expect three features as part of ADAS
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
  • Blind View Monitor.
Blind view monitor needs surround cameras which are part of Luxury variant. If ACC is also made part of luxury variant, then AX7 will be left with only AEB. Really strange that if AEB is provided but it is not integrated with Cruise control to make it adaptive. Better to wait for a few more days for the dust to settle.
Meph1st0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 21:54   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdarshan View Post
They have an Everest White in AX7 L Petrol trim on display in the showroom and two cars - Dazzling Silver and Electric Blue for the test drive.
How does Everest White compare against other colours in the lineup? Midnight black (dark blue) is my favourite based on youtube videos, but it would be a pain to maintain the same. My Vento is night blue in colour, but there were many occasions where I wished for a lighter colour. I couldn’t find videos of white XUV700 so far.
Old 1st October 2021, 22:11   #1371
BHPian

XUV 7OO Neeraj Chopra edition spied!

Mahindra XUV700 Review-mahindraxuv700neerajchopraeditiongolden11068x799.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-mahindraxuv700neerajchopraeditiongolden4.jpg

Source- Rushlane

Last edited by Emvi : 1st October 2021 at 22:16. Reason: Source name added
Emvi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:12   #1372
BHPian

Booked AX 7 Diesel AT Luxury Pack for now. Going with Silver colour even though Midnight Black (Dark Blue accoring to me) looks awesome. Previous ride was almost the same colour, so we thought of going with a different colour. Silver is also easy to maintain.

Transferred 21K to the dealers account. The official bookings don't start until 7th Oct in my opinion. However, the Sales Manager said he will prioritise the booking once online systems start accepting the bookings, totally at his mercy now. This is from PPS Bangalore. I was all set to purchase the discounted XUV 500 earlier, the same Sales Manager advised me to hang on till the release of XUV 700, going in with trust, let's see.

Like lot others in this forum, I'm also torn between the AX 7 AT L and AWD. Have told my contact to reconfirm before he punches in the booking, I might likely change that to AWD. Not sure why Mahindra created this dilema for customers.

Here is a video demonstraing the AWD, most would have gone through this. However, I want to draw your attention to the start of the video (1:20), there is a button provided to engage AWD. So it's not 'on' all the time, hence whatever doubt on mileage should not be there in my opinion.

My knowledge on this system is limited. What I really need the AWD for is to pull me out of sticky situations and better handling, especially hill climbs. With a passion for wildlife photography, I do take my vechicle to places which can be bit testing for the FWD at times. While the FWD will do most of the job, if there is an option for better traction and capability, then why not?

Below is a quick snapshot of yhe features variant wise. Considering my highway runs are going to be more, between the AX 7 AWD and L, here is my view on the additional features:
1) Blind view monitor- Desirable
2) Continuous digital video recording- Very important, however can install dashcam
3) 3D audio with 12 speakers- Not bothered, can get after market fitting later. Can't compare to stock Sony though
4) 360 deg view- Very important
5) Knee airbag- Important
6) Passive keyless entry- Not bothered
7) Electronic park brake- Very important! Utility and aesthetic wise
8) Adaptive cruise control with stop and go (AT)- Very important
9) Telescopic steering- Not bothered
10) Vanity mirror illumination- Not bothered
11) Electric smart door handles- Not bothered
12) Wireless charging- Not bothered

Most of the above features should have been provided in the AX 7, at this price point these are glaring omissions. If still required thyey could have reserved blind view monitoring, continuous recording, Sony 3D audio, Passive keyless, Electric smart door handles, knee air bag and added Ventilated seats for the top of the line variant.

Like someone mentioned "looks like the vatiant mix was decided by an accountant with no passion for driving"

A big thanks to the Team BHP community who keep providing technical insights, it helps in making an informed decision.
Raghunath Singh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:30   #1373
BHPian

Had a quick test ride (10 Minute) of AX7L MT, below are my Observations

1. You can feel the power and engine is happy to rev.
2. NVH is a disappointment for the price.
3. The TD vehicle pop-out handle did not retract, did 80+ KMPH still did not retract.
4. Steering is super light
5. Brakes are very nice.
6. Climate control is good.
7. Second row is the place to be for passengers.
8. Am 180cm and 110+ KG person, I was able to sit in the third row and may be able to sit for 2 hours if needed. Ingress and Egress to third row was difficult.
9. Red is too flashy for my personal liking.

Did not test the speakers. The enquires I made and the answers I got are below.

Q. Is there AWD+ Luxury pack on offer?
Ans. Not sure yet, the sales rep told it is yet to be revealed.
Q. Fuel economy for both engines?
Ans. Official figures not disclosed yet.

The showroom was pretty packed and folks were lined up for TD, I was 56th in queue.
sudharshan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:33   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
1. Cruise Control (even the basic one)
2. Reverse camera (seriously? And Mahindra expects us to manage with just 2 rear parking sensors for this huge vehicle)
3. Push button start

A cruise control is a must have on any 10L+ car.
Exactly my feeling. For anyone looking for a 5 seater, I would implore you to check out the Hector shine variant. It beats the XUV700 AX5 variant by leaps and bounds in terms of features, and is 1 lac rupees cheaper. I drove the car today in CVT guise, and it seems good for city use. It has features like rear armrest, EPB, hill hold, and much better interior trim.
nasir88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:45   #1375
BHPian

Hey guys,
Went to the dealership to check out the car in the flesh today. The dealer had the AX7 L Petrol Auto in Midnight Blue on display. Few Observations:

1. Overall looks really, really good and well proportioned. "Mightnight black" is pretty eye-catching too though I felt the quality of paint could've been better, doesn't match the Korean twins in paint quality.

2. Lot of hard plastics in the cabin but the ACC controls and mostly used bits like doors pads, handles felt pretty good.

3. The sony 3d audio system is mindblowing !! I honestly was not expecting it to be as good as it is. Connected it to my phone and played some base-y music with the 3d feature on and it sounded amazing.

4. The infotainment system and screen (in the limited time I used it) felt smooth and pretty quick too.

5. Didn't get a chance to see how the "passive keyless entry" works as it was pretty crowded but the handles themselves don't feel flimsy and overall I felt they do a pretty decent job.

Will take a test drive this week and see how it drives

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd October 2021 at 00:24. Reason: Spacing for better readability
10nitin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 23:29   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharshan View Post
Am I correct in assuming you test drove the diesel ? It would be really shocking if the Petrol engine also has disappointing NVH after everything they allegedly did to reduce it !
Old 1st October 2021, 23:55   #1377
BHPian

Well, the cars from MG might looks and feels premium and value for money in every aspect, but the reality remains the fact that its just a cheap chinese knock off product in the disguise of the British lineage and I for one is the kind which still can't accept MG as a proper car brand which I don't desire to own atleast for the distant future irrespective of all the features it boasts about.
Who all agree with me here?

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 2nd October 2021 at 00:08.
highwaypatrol is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 23:58   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharshan View Post

8. Am 180cm and 110+ KG person, I was able to sit in the third row and may be able to sit for 2 hours if needed. Ingress and Egress to third row was difficult.
On both these points I feel the opposite. I drove the Xuv700 today and the NVH levels are excellent. The pleasant Skoda like sounding Horn is barely audible from inside and the diesel engine sound doesn't creep in that much. T

The 3rd row cannot seat a person who is 5 feet 6 inches or above in decent comfort let alone a person nearing 6 feet. The knee room is just not sufficient.
muni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 00:10   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
My knowledge on this system is limited. What I really need the AWD for is to pull me out of sticky situations and better handling, especially hill climbs. With a passion for wildlife photography, I do take my vechicle to places which can be bit testing for the FWD at times. While the FWD will do most of the job, if there is an option for better traction and capability, then why not?
AWD can only fare as much better than FWD in moderately challenging situations. But please don't pin hopes on it to pull you out of deep trouble, it can never deliver close to what a 4WD with a low range transfer case can do. Have the same tested out in familiar places to have the right dose of expectations with AWD capabilities than getting caught unawares at tricky places and terrains.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 2nd October 2021 at 00:16.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 00:12   #1380
BHPian

Was invited for an Exclusive Preview at the NBS Andheri showroom in Mumbai. Had a 10 minute TD. The only TD vehicle allotted for today was an AX7 Diesel MT; I am definitely looking only at the Petrol AT, but took a drive nonetheless to get a feel.

Few observations of the TD vehicle and the AX7L AT on display:
1) Even though the TD vehicle was a Diesel one, it seemed very refined, smooth and easy to drive.

2) The gearbox was fun; however the clutch entails a long push.

3) Driving position is commanding and offers a superb view ahead.

4) Glanced at the ODO and fuel numbers; definitely not the right way to gauge, considering it was a TD vehicle, but anyway. The reading was 103 kms and an average of 6.8 kmpl.

5) The boot lid is heavy. Felt like a task to open.

6) The door handles seemed flimsy to me. Holding it and opening the door doesn't inspire confidence immediately. Maybe one will get used to it in due course.

7) The intelli-control knob was fun and seemed like the best way to operate the system and toggle between functions.

8) The SA was kind enough to sit and answer my plethora of questions and help me out while I navigated through every feature on the system. Everything worked properly, no hiccups. (P.s. Came home and realized I forgot to check out the Alexa voice command for the sunroof)

9) The panoramic sunroof, or Skyroof as Mahindra calls it, is truly panoramic and offers a brilliant experience. My mother was in awe, sitting in the 2nd row. The toggle for the skyroof worked as expected, no niggles.

10) The throw of the headlights seemed perfect to me. Of course, a short drive is barely enough to judge properly, but illumination of the road ahead was spot-on.

11) The horn seemed powerful and well-tuned. Not deafeningly loud thankfully.

12) The Sony music system is B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T. Experienced it while sitting in all 3 rows and the effect is top-class.

13) The dashboard continuing around the sides to merge into the door panels is an eyesore from the outside. With the window rolled-up, it doesn't stand out as much, but is a bit out-of-place types.

14) The 360 camera worked well, no lags.

15) The blind spot monitors seemed like a boon and worked without any niggles while turning.

16) The 3rd row seemed cramped as expected. Only and only meant for kids.

17) Getting in and out of the 3rd row is a royal pain! My mom just couldn't manage, even after multiple attempts.

18) Doors open wide; ingress and egress isn't a hassle. However, it seemed like a bit of a climb. Even for a person like me, 5.11", it was a two-step in and out. A side-step seems like a necessary accessory.

19) The boot lid definitely seemed vulnerable to me. For some reason, the lids on both vehicles moved even after being shut tight. Hope it's just a niggle and resolved in the production cycle. A rear guard is absolutely essential.

20) Suspension seemed well-tuned and the car maneuvered through some really nasty potholes with ease. Yes, there is some evident body-roll, but nothing that you wouldn't normally expect.

21) The front passenger seats are COMFORTABLE! You feel ensconced and safe. Felt premium too. The driving position lever does the job perfectly. Everyone will definitely find their right position without any hassles.

22) The welcome function of the seats is a nice touch. The way the seat slides into position as you get into the car and shut the door is such a good experience.

23) The upholstery isn't as "white" as it seemed in video reviews. Manageable. Almost on the same lines as my Compass.

24) Yes, the plastic quality isn't all that great and there are some terribly cheap patches across the cabin.

25) Mahindra has tried to hide a lot of cost-cutting measures with use of faux-leather finish etc on the dashboard and doors. Not much of an issue, IMHO.

26) The piano black glossy portions in the centre console and the door pads will be prone to scratches. The display vehicles already had a lot of scratches. If you have kids, make sure you put mittens on their hands forever!

27) Both vehicles sported MRF Wanderer tyres. I liked the alloys.

28) Only available colours today were Everest White and Electric Blue. I liked the White at first glance; just seemed plush and premium. Would have liked the Midnight Black (honestly it's just a dark blue) but maintenance would be too much of a pain, especially with no access to covered parking and driving around Mumbai!

29) The staff simply feigned ignorance about AX5 variants. I was told the showroom has only been allotted AX7 variants. When I spoke to a senior guy, he meekly said he'll check and get back to me. My gut feeling of Mahindra having only produced AX7 in large quantities is being proven true.

30) The SA made me choose the variant, colour, etc and do the whole "Add to Cart" procedure. He said this will ensure priority in bookings when it opens on 7th Oct. No need to come physically to the showroom, the staff will reach out for digital KYC etc. The booking amount would be 21,000/- and fully refundable.

31) The OTR price list should be out by tomorrow. My final decision will rest on this.

32) Waiting period could stretch into January as per the SA. But he said, they will try to deliver Petrol by end-November.

To conclude, I was interested in the AX5 Petrol AT and was deeply disappointed yesterday once the features were announced. Went for the preview today expecting nothing much. Stretching the budget for an AX7 Petrol AT would be a bit much, but Mom seems impressed with the car and is insisting that we go ahead and buy it nonetheless, since we'll anyway retain it for 7-8 years; her thing is: "A lakh here and there is okay, ultimately we shouldn't repent later about compromising with a lower variant!" I am anyway hoping I get to experience the AX5 in person. Only then will I arrive at a decision.

Posting few pics from today. Apologies for the quality:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_200641.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_200637.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_193322.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_193855.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_193942.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_195806.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_201122.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_201201.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_193055.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211001_194323.jpg