Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 10:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

On the cons -
1. I am not sure if 3rd row space/luggage space is a constraint. The current XUV500 had this problem and sold admirably well. In fact I'd say the new 5 seater will steal a lot of thunder from Creta/Seltos.
2. The petrol AT's mileage would be a real problem. More than money, city commuters would feel they're killing trees (more so if they're wokes). Offroad adventure types would worry about the range. This point was brought up in Thar's petrol variant review.
3. A con that's missed is the wrap-around headlamps. Scraping the corner will likely set you back with a hefty body shop bill (you may have to replace the headlamp assembly as a whole)...

Overall, I think the 5 seater variants will disrupt the creta/seltos/kushaq market. Depending on the 7 seater pricing, I expect a lot of people to stretch their budgets and go for the 7 seater and drive around with the last row seats folded and used only on occasion.
sramanat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:47   #17
BHPian

Crisp Review. Thanks a lot.
Any reason why I am not seeing Diesel AT/MT review here? or I am missing something?

The review sounds promising for the people who are about to book. Although, there might be few issues in initial batches of car but I am confident that it will not slow down the sales. I am sure for this year, XUV7OO will be "Team-BHP car of the year 2021".

Does it makes sense to buy MX Diesel (MT or AT) to avoid electronic niggles?
GRAND23 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

This one looks like a proper offering unlike the many quirks in styling of the erstwhile XUV500.

1. The digital console on the AX and the regular 7" console on the MX look great
2. Upholstery looks top notch
3. Even the MX is adequately specced, and is a good vehicle to customize to one's taste
4. I opine that the MX, AX5 and AX7 are the variants to target, based on one's budget and "needs"; the AX3 doesn't justify the steep 2L price tag over the MX. Barring the 10.25" clusters and the 6 speaker system, the rest aren't worthwhile
5. The plastic tailgate is good news, as the existing XUV500's tailgate is prone to corrosion just at the point the glass meets the metal (just to the left of the wiper center)
6. My first impression of the M logo was that it was inspired by the old Maruti logo, but the new logo's looks are growing on me
7. The five seater is the way to go, unless one has to have those 2 additional seats

Except a few 30 second teasers, pics of the MX, and AX3 aren't out, and so are details on the AX diesel, pricing of the AX5 diesel, and pricing of the AX7. I do hope Mahindra gets to keeping the initial excitement alive by timely deliveries and better service.
vigsom is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:50   #19
BHPian

Superb review!
It's awesome to see an Indian car putting its non-Indian counterparts in a tough position. The homegrown sentiment + First in class features + pricing will help do wonders in its sales figures. Hope to see Safari 2021 and XUV 700 rule the 6/7 seater segment.
Quick question: How is the third row when compared to a Hector plus, Safari or Alcazar?
@og_adi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:55   #20
BHPian

A 5* rated review. Thank you for the detailed review. My 2 cents
  • Killer pricing
  • Well built
  • Got all the bling to woo customers
  • I estimate 80% of sales will be lower and mid variant which do not get all the ADAS features.
  • Freshly baked M&M products are scary. They proved it with TUV300 and Thar.
  • Some features like motorized grab handles seem unnecessary.
  • Plastic boot? Safety concerns when hit from rear?
  • No auto dimming IRVM?
  • Missing features like cooled seats is a bummer.
  • Zip, Zap, Zoom? Really Mahindra? Really?

Will I suggest it to my friends and family? Hell yes, but only the non-tech variants. 80% of the blingy features will not be used by us in long term.

I would recommend the base diesel variant with some black rhino alloys from aftermarket and call it a day.

Finally it is a mixed bag of opinions all over. Will it eat in Harrier/Hector/Compass/Creta/Kushaq/Taigun/Seltos numbers? A big yes. Eagerly waiting for price reveal of all variants.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 18th August 2021 at 11:24.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 10:56   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the eagerly awaited review.
The Red and silver seem to look great. The infotainment system seems fantastic from the reviews. I hope the ride is a bit less stiff from the outgoing XUV 500 as that's one gripe the family had.
I do hope the Diesel engine review is up soon too, as that's too tempting to not buy (even though 185ps is just too much power for normal use!).
I for one will look seriously buying the AX3 or maybe AX5 depending on what we get in the optional packs and fingers crossed that wait times post booking are not insane.

Last edited by srivibhu : 18th August 2021 at 10:57.
srivibhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:02   #22
BHPian

Thank you for the crisp and clear review. Overall the car seems like a very good package while being budget friendly. Missing out on features like auto dimming rear view mirror and ventilated seats is sad though.

One question I have is if the 2nd row seats in the 5 seater variants have the sliding feature? I am looking to buy the 5 seater diesel variant(model to be decided once the prices of the other variants are also revealed)
Old 18th August 2021, 11:02   #23
BHPian

Great review! But as the reviewers have pointed out, the testing is mainly on M&M's test tracks. And the review is for petrol AT top trim only. Waiting for Team-BHP to get its hands on the vehicle to test it out in real world condition, and both manual & auto versions of petrol and diesel. Would also be interested to see how the MX variant operates, though chances are high that it might be similar to XUV5OO. And eager to see how the 5-seater is laid out.

I feel sliding 2nd row would have been useful, both for ingress/egress and giving more leg room to 3rd row occupants. Auto IRVM could have been provided across all variants though. And wondering why they missed out on ventilated seats as it could have been in the options pack. In the US, some manufacturers provide additional optional packs like sports package, luxury package etc. Would have been good to introduce something like that here too. Of course it might be logistical nightmare & have assembly line challenges. But might not be such an unsurmountable obstacle.

Having said all that, XUV7OO seems to have most of the items on customers' wishlist. Hoping the prices of other variants are competitive too, and M&M breaks into top 4 manufaturers in India!

Edited later: BTW, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't Visteon also the supplier of infotainment for Safari? Having read through the never-ending niggles of Safari's infotainment with updates being released weekly, hope it has been test properly and is more mature in XUV7OO.

Last edited by sanchari : 18th August 2021 at 11:04.
sanchari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:04   #24
Team-BHP Support

Wow, looks like a lot of inspiration from Mercedes and BMW. Won't be surprised if Mahindra sees a considerable amount of cancellations of Thar. Other manufacturers from Skoda/ VW, Tatas, and the Koreans & Chinese, all are going to get affected. This is one car that can possibly get customers shopping with a budget from 8 lac to 30 Lac. This is so good, people who have a smaller budget of 8-9 Lac will consider option higher EMI's and the ones in 20-30 Lac will suddenly find no value in that segment. Toyota HQ will be very happy that they never authorized an extra line for 15-25 Lac segment

This thing alone can sell over 10,000 a month if Mahindra can ramp up the production. Am sure, there will be niggles and failures and many recalls but whatever happens, this vehicle is here to stay and do some insane numbers.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th August 2021 at 11:06.
Turbanator is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:04   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
On the review- Can we have the usual exhaustive reviews which we used to have? This review felt like it ended very abruptly.
Thank you for the feedback! Earlier, our reviews used to be out 2 - 3 months after the drive. For the last 12 months however, we have met every embargo and our reviews have been released on time with everyone else.

No doubt, we have trimmed the review format a bit compared to our exhaustive reviews earlier, but:

- There is an undeniable advantage to potential buyers when the review releases on time.

- We still provide 99% of the information needed to make a purchase decision.

- We still provide 95% of all that you *need* to know.

- The Team-BHP Review remains the most comprehensive & totally unbiased . As always.

- Importantly, BHPians don't need to go anywhere else for their "new car review" addiction.

- After we get the car in Bombay, we do update the review with additional observations that went missed in the short drive report (most recently happened with the Octavia).

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2021 at 11:09.
GTO is offline   (144) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:05   #26
BHPian

Great review, as always. Thank you for your keen observations and initiative.

M&M did it again what it started off with XUV500 ten years back. Adaptive cruise control, Lane watch assist, and what not at this price is absolutely ridiculous. That's really gonna show them. XUV700 not only competes with its own segment i.e Safar, Alcazar, but also sedans like City and Verna and C-SUV/crossovers like Nexon, Venue, etc. and in some aspects to as expensive as the Fortuner and Endeavour. Is there any segment they aren't challenging?

However, I do wish if any of the manuacturer decides to do this with the Compass and Creta segment (4m<length<4.5m). For someone like me, with two people in the house, XUV700 is just too big and that too in cities like Bangalore and Mumbai, it's just cumbersome. I would have loved to see a Compass sized car that disrupts the market, as now we're are either offered abruptly designed sub-4m cars like XUV300, that seem incomplete or huge behemoths like XUV700 while the mid-size crossovers remain expensive.

Last edited by hdman : 18th August 2021 at 11:17. Reason: Typo
hdman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Most detailed review for the most awaited Car. Rated 5 Star.

Here are the acceleration figures of the XUV700 for both Petrol and Diesel Engines.

2-litre mStallion direct-injection turbo-petrol. Tested it with VBOX.

0-100kmph: 9.51s
0-160kmh: 25.89s
1/4 mile: 16.92s @ 135.5kmph
Top speed: 197.4kmph

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20210818_110756.jpg

2.2-litre mHawk Diesel
0-100kmph: 9.88s
0-160kmh: 26.11s
1/4 mile: 17.17s @ 133.8kmp
Top speed: 191.8 kmph

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th August 2021 at 11:08.
Venkatesh is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:09   #28
BHPian

Lovely review, enjoyed reading every bit of it.

Could you please comment if you noticed any torque streer ?
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Lovely review, enjoyed reading every bit of it.

Could you please comment if you noticed any torque streer ?
Yes there is some torque steer in the Diesel MT variant.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- There is an undeniable advantage to potential buyers when the review releases on time.

- We still provide 99% of the information needed to make a purchase decision.

- We still provide 95% of all that you *need* to know.

- The Team-BHP Review remains the most comprehensive & totally unbiased . As always.

- Importantly, BHPians don't need to go anywhere else for their "new car review" addiction.

- After we get the car in Bombay, we do update the review with additional observations that went missed in the short drive report (most recently happened with the Octavia).
Earlier the wait for reviews seemed to be long and now sometimes it leaves one wanting for more This happens as the bar TeamBHP has set the bar for exhaustiveness is very very high. The unbiased-ness of the reviews is ofcourse is beyond any question!

I completely agree that a 90-95% review early on and then adding the missing parts later on is the way to go. However, this may not be happening for all the reviews or maybe that the updates are not catching as many eyeballs. Two separate version of reviews - one Initial and one Exhaustive for all cars would be the best IMHO. Also think that initial version can be crisper and later ones detailed like past.

Last edited by abhishek_hch : 18th August 2021 at 11:34.
abhishek_hch is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks