Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 11:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Super quick turnaround to get this stunning review out, without compromising an iota of detail
Thanks Omkar and Aditya!

I counted the Mercedes' inspiration atleast 4 times in the review. The mention of complex electronics atleast twice this inspiration count .
Only time will tell, which gains more attention!

Overall salient points, in my view:-
* A very good upgrade option for the current XUV500, Marazzo and the XUV300 customers

* A very attractive shortlist proposition for new customers (those considering the Seltos, Creta, Harrier or the Safari) or maybe even those considering the supposedly low-VFM, but well-built cars like the Kushaq and the Taigun

* Atom-bombesque shocking entry prices, enticing the hatchback customers to leap-frog into the SUV segment

* The center infotainment console, could possibly the single-biggest talking (read: selling) point, accompanied by the (Seltos-beating?) rich feature list. The selling job made easier given the fact no competition comes even close

* Pleasantly surprising additions on some savvy-looking safety feature set, again a very good appealing feature to those who till date, didn't perceive cars from the Mahindra stable to be savvy enough

* All said and done, for the XUV700 to reach its true potential, the gizmos have to work reliably. Specially the ones on safety.

Mahindra might have done well to understand what today's well-read, tech-savvy, aspirational customer wants, but I would think the job is only half done yet.
It has to back up the aspirations by actually making them work also.
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:30   #32

Great Review! At a distance, the alloy wheels looks like it is still with the camouflage stickers on. A rounded finish of the spokes that better integrates towards the end could have made this look even better.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:32   #33
BHPian

Excellent, detailed review! Thanks as usual, TeamBHP!

*deep breath*

Mahindra, what the hell. I think I speak for everyone here that we could've absolutely done without flush door handles let alone the auto-deploying kind. This ain't some svelte speedster or an electric sedan where each watt counts that you're going to mess up the aero and affect the performance, range or even the looks.

Don't get me wrong, it's sure a nice touch and I love that you dared to go that extra mile! Kudos!

But not at the cost of ventilated seats!

And the auto-dimming IRVM is just.. I don't even know what to say about that. Talk about dropping the ball.

Still, yes, still, it's an excellent package and seems to be priced so well that complaining about anything seems crass. But I'm going to. I think we all should, until Mahindra understands the sentiments of the people that actually make Mahindra- the customers (long term and new) and the fans that follow them throughout their developmental phases.

It's like this: the cake you served up is the best one I've ever had. The fondant and decoration is exquisite!
But erm... you seem to have spelt my name wrong.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th August 2021 at 21:51. Reason: Formatting, disguised profanity
Singh101 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:37   #34
BHPian

I think I will step away from the gushing review praises that call out what I felt. This is the first review that I felt ended abruptly. Again, not taking anything away from the effort put in by the team, but this is the same level of information we come across on YouTube. With TBHP, we (at least I) expect details. Maybe those could be out at a later date under some sort of a "Detailed Review" format.
caffeineAM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:47   #35
BHPian

One of the most awaited reviews in recent time, and a top class review as always. The car looks like a very compelling package, specially with the decently loaded AX5 variants around 15 Lakh. Ventilated seats and auto dimming IRVM are glaring omissions though. Mahindra, just price the AX7 Petrol around 16½ Lakh w/o ADAS and other options and take my money!
Old 18th August 2021, 11:48   #36
BHPian

Fabulous review of a fabulous car! Like many others, my affection for the XUV700 took a drastic turn after the prices were announced. This is a superb VFM proposition in the 'pseudo SUV' segment. I'm sure the XUV700 will be a grand success for Mahindra!
Old 18th August 2021, 11:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as always. Petrol Turbo will not be very efficient in stop start traffic of our cities but should be okay on the highway at consistent speeds. I quite like the looks too, infact I dont mind the front end and i am also warming up to the rest of the design. Although not as handsome or as classy as Safari, i find it better looking than the MG Hector.

I wish they used soft plastic atleast on top of the dashboard and I am still apprehensive on pricing. They havent yet detailed the pricing enough but even if the top end is a lakh or so more expensive than the Safari, Tata has got a fight on their hands. Well done Mahindra.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:50   #38
BHPian

The awesomeness of a Team-bhp review is next to none.

Now that we have seen and read about the XUV700, I feel it needs to iron out all niggles or chances of any niggles and this thing has good potential.
Although, as mentioned, Auto-dimming IRVM and Ventilated Seats are a big miss in my books.
Mahindra should have gone a step further and added ventilated seats at the middle row as well.

But now the big question is the Mahindra production line with the semiconductor crisis. Already the Thar has a year long waiting period and annoyed customers, XUV700 will surely add to the burden.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:54   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

A great review as always.

Mahindra missing out on essential stuff like Auto IRVM and 3 point seatbelt for middle passenger is really sad. It's a must in today's scenario.

Also someone needs to elaborate about this plastic tailgate thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you for the feedback! Earlier, our reviews used to be out 2 - 3 months after the drive. For the last 12 months however, we have met every embargo and our reviews have been released on time with everyone else.

- After we get the car in Bombay, we do update the review with additional observations that went missed in the short drive report (most recently happened with the Octavia).
Why is it that the lower variants are not made available for reviews or atleast for taking snaps? There would be many who can't stretch for the top end but there is no reference image or review about the lower variants. I too feel that the reviews are not what they used to be earlier. Shouldn't these reviews be marked as initial review or preview as the car is still away from general public and hasn't gone through a very close inspection?
BoneCollector is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 11:54   #40
BHPian

Hey Mahindra,

The sliding seat is cool. Great job on all the features. Great job on the engine and transmissions. Excellent job at creating hype.

Here's where I'm at.

I'm keen on AX7, with all your additional bells and whistles, including AWD. I assume I will be paying around 23-25 L on road in Bangalore. Our taxes are insane, but it is what it is.

If all your tech wizardry holds up, and given that you are likely to score 5 stars at GNCAP, I am seriously okay paying you this much.

However, my Sonet that cost me 16L on road, has front parking sensors, auto dimming IRVM, black interiors, and ventilated seating. So it's gonna be a bitter pill to swallow because these things, especially ventilated seats make life and living with the car so comfortable, and honestly, are non negotiable for me.

So if I'm paying you for ADAS, AWD, blah blah blah, please just please, take some more of my money, and give me:
  • Ventilated Seats
  • Black seats and interiors
  • Auto dimming IRVM (C'mon man)
  • Front Parking Sensors.

Last edited by Coyote : 18th August 2021 at 11:55.
Coyote is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:02   #41
BHPian

Excellent review. Well articulated as usual and have covered most of the features in the best way possible.
Glaring miss is the ventilated seats and auto dimming IRVM. Cars placed much lower has that feature as a standard. Hopefully, as Mahindra does so often, will have late realisation and chose to release this features in a facelift.
Old 18th August 2021, 12:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

2-litre mStallion direct-injection turbo-petrol. Tested it with VBOX.

0-100kmph: 9.51s
0-160kmh: 25.89s
1/4 mile: 16.92s @ 135.5kmph
Top speed: 197.4kmph

2.2-litre mHawk Diesel
0-100kmph: 9.88s
0-160kmh: 26.11s
1/4 mile: 17.17s @ 133.8kmp
Top speed: 191.8 kmph
Thank you Venkatesh, not surprised one bit

Mr. Velusamy is not a good talker but his engines seems to sing well. Last weekend two mHawks, 1.5 & 2.2 were climbing up a 8Km jeep trail that took nearly 2 hours one side - as rough was the terrain - this after a 700Km highway blast to reach there. Next day it did the same back down and then did 700 Kms on the highway at triple digits as if nothing happened!! Its not just the vehicle, the confidence it gives to the driver.

Mr Velusamy`s Virginia Tech profile.
Link

An Autocar article.

Link

It would be interesting to see how the new Scorpio will shape up next year, that is what gave many of the current M&M top brass a career, they better not screw it up.
Kosfactor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:05   #43
BHPian

Would love some perspective/comparision with the other 5 seaters in and around the price point. (Hector, Compass, Tucson, about to be launched Tiguan, C5). Mind you the Compass Diesel AT with bells and whistles touches 30L now ! Similarly Tiguan and C5 will be north of 30L and Tucson is a generation older.

The beauty of the XUV700 as mentioned by some is that it competes with your Creta/VW twins/Seltos in terms of price point (but better and bigger in a lot of ways) and also competes with cars upto the 30L mark.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:12   #44
BHPian

Great review as always. Many many thanks.

The vehicle does seem to have evolved from XUV5OO, with many upgrades that may have sorted out many issues of the previous generations. Reliability of electronics and after sales services still remain a major concern with Mahindra. I really hope they upgrade the manpower skills and infra of their workshops to deal more delicately with the modern interiors and electricals/electronics.

Although you had limited time to be spent with the vehicles, you still covered several aspects of the XUV7OO, and in great detail.

1. Would like to know whether the XUV7OO get UV-cut or tinted windows and windshield? Did Mahindra make any claims or did you notice anything?

2. Good to see some physical switches and controls for HVAC, panoramic sunroof etc. However, other than on the steering wheel, I could not see any physical audio controls in any pictures. In my family, my kids decide what songs to play and control the volume or audio source! So I guess they will have to depend more on bluetooth streamed audio from their mobiles than using the native player on the ICE.

3. Happy to see that the main speakers have been mounted on the lower side of doors instead of upper position in XUV500. This new position should provide cleaner and deeper low frequency sounds. In lower variants, I am this position may also provide more flexibility in upgrading speakers with stronger magnets and slightly deeper baskets without worrying that deeper speakers would interfere with the motion of window glass.

4. Does the ICE play any videos from the USB ports or support streaming over chromecast or ay screen mirroring? Any Wi-Di support? Can I run a power-point presentation from my laptop or mobile for all occupants in the car?

5. I could not find any 12V cigarette lighter socket anywhere to connect an inverter or other electronics. Is there any alternate 110V/220V socket anywhere to charge a laptop?

6. Do the USB charging ports support fast / high voltage charging protocols, or has plain 5V/2A regular output? Ideally, this car should provide atleast one USB Type C port with 100W (20V/5A) "PD" mode to charge modern laptops.

I really hope to see a 12V port, preferably a 5.5mm 12V/5A DC jack, so that I can use my efficient DC-DC converters for laptop and mobile fast charging. Could also be helpful in installing a permanent 4G/5G Wi-Fi router. Cigarette lighter ports are ugly, wiring is messy and provide poor electrical connection with adapters. And I also prefer DC-DC conversion instead of using inverter. Inverter method is inefficient, we use it to boost 12V to 220V AC and then use the laptop's power brick bring it down to ~19V DC with so many bulky components.
Pulse500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:16   #45
BHPian

Disruptive is the synonym for what M&M has done with XUV 700. I dont recollect one car that can match what M&M is offering or trying to offer with this car !
And the car isnt all about gimmicks either (ok the pricing thing is still bit unclear for variants which will have the major chunk of sales like AX versions of Diesel in AT) and offers solid value.

1. Sophisticated engines with best in class figures ? Check !
2. Sohpisticated suspension setup having specs similar to cars segment above (atleast on paper) ? Check !
3. Active and passive safety features that can match segments higher ? Check !

I am not even talking about the gizmos and gadgets associated.

Just two bits :
1. M&M please keep the pricing for rest of the variants very competitive as well.
2. Hopefully the gizmos dont turn nightmarish.

Now the small misses like auto dimming ORVM (can be installed), ventilated seats, door handles shouldnt be that big issues to talk for pages.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks