Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 00:13   #166
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Will 200 mm ground clearance be enhanced through a different suspension set up ( suspension lift ) for AWD option ? Otherwise 200 mm is only good enough for mild soft roading. Further is there any information on approach and break over angle - does not look promising from serious off-roading point of view OR will there be redesigned bumpers for AWD option? Also i am not sure how many ADAS features will work for eg traffic sign recognition ? Not sure whether high beam assist will limit itself from just switching on and off high beam based on whether the speed is 80 - then it’s not ADAS.
Old 19th August 2021, 00:14   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
From what short info I have had from some of my sources,
Thanks to you and your sources. Can you please ask your sources about availability of ESP in lower variants? Hope it is available atleast as an option to buy. I'm dying to know this information.
Old 19th August 2021, 00:18   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Any idea if it gets any mood lights or ambient lighting? Similarly puddle lamps under the ORVM?
Sadly, neither. There is a cutout for a puddle lamp in the outside wing mirror enclosure. Puddle lamps, at least, can be an accessory to be installed, if Mahindra is wise (customer gets the feature, they get extra ₹ ₹).

What I don't get is M&M's less than quarter-hearted approach in provisioning ambient light inside a premium car. They put in a small strip around the roof panel, which houses the lights and sunroof controls, but not on the 4 doors and dashboard. Like how much extra would that have costed? Btw, the button (indicated by the arrow) needs to be pressed for that light blue/ purple ambient light to be lit.

Source: Shifting-Gears interior review of the XUV7OO, on YouTube.
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20210818-20.47.56.png

But here's a clever little feature or engineering that Mahindra has done. To ensure the SOS button is not pressed inadvertently, they've designed it as a pop-out switch and the button to press, is on the inside. Smart!

Source: Gagan Choudhary's XUV7OO review on YouTube, at 25:55.
Name:  Screenshot 20210819 at 00.21.22.png
Views: 2036
Size:  398.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
According to one of the sources, got to know that the Ventilated Seats and Puddle Lamps would be introduced at a later stage as an option accessory. Am not sure if it's 100% gonna be introduced or not but from the previous information that the source provided me (like the confirmation of 360 Degree Cameras, 3D Surround Sound System, Alexa Support), this report can be considered pretty reliable considering the fact that M&M has provided empty slots for these features. The source was not able to predict a time-line as for when these features would be introduced but told that it would arrive in form of accessories after the prices for all the variants are informed.
I can believe that puddle lamps can be an accessory, yes. It's simpler to install and doesn't involve any complexity. However, I am a little suspect about ventilation on seats being an add-on accessory. But I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, if a SAFE and properly install-able ventilated seats option is provided (I will still doubt how clean the install will be, at a dealer, compared to a factory fit finish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
How much mileage can we expect from diesel engine?
I would imagine, in city driving without being aggressive with the accelerator, between 9-11 kpl. Highways if within the 100-120 cruising rev range, perhaps 12-14. At least, these are the assumptions I'm making.

--------

Here are some of the things I've noticed are missing or are a mix of 'like to have' and 'need to have' features, in the AX7 (top of the line variant).

- No ventilated seats (beaten about so many times now, but so pertinent).
- IRVM has a manual flip behind it for dimming. No IRVM in a near 20L ex-showroom 'flagship' SUV.
- No mirror behind the driver's sun visor. Another ~300 rupees, M&M?
- No ambient lighting, even in the option pack. Kids love it and this is a family vehicle.
- Middle bench seats not on rails - no forward and rear movement possible. BIG MISS, in my opinion.. Could have made the 3rd row of seats more usable for anyone above 5"5 in height.
- Being a large family SUV, middle row passengers could have been given the comfort of a plastic tray on the rear of the front seats, like what Hyundai did with the Alcazar. Another 1000-1500 bucks wouldn't have hurt anyone buying the SUV.

My biggest conundrum right now is if I should just go ahead with the AX7 at launch price and hope everything turns out well (80% confident it would) OR if I should wait 2 years for another AX8/ AX9 variant with ventilated seats, middle row sliding bench, etc., without even having a clue if such a variant might even be launched in the future. When prices would definitely be considerably dearer, than at launch.

Last edited by k_ajay : 19th August 2021 at 00:28. Reason: Adding detail about the SOS button
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 03:36   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Will I suggest it to my friends and family? Hell yes, but only the non-tech variants. 80% of the blingy features will not be used by us in long term.
This is what I used to tell myself before actually using the ADAS features. My current car comes with all of stuff and trust me it makes your everyday life much much much easier. I don’t think I’ll buy another car which doesn’t have these active safety features. The list is endless and it makes you a very safe driver as well. Also most of the stuff is very intuitive and takes no time to get used to.

Also this is not new tech, it’s just new in mass market cars in India. So I don’t think there will be many niggles around it as the company who made the module is pretty solid.
turbowhistle is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 03:42   #170
BANNED

Quote:

Expect some premium for the higher-specced 185PS diesels and the longer 7-seaters.

Huh?!?
Pray, tell me more. Now you have all my attention, and I'm all ears.

I thought the dimensions that were released were for the 7 seater variants, I mean the demo cars were 7-seater variants.

Why would they release dimensions of a different car, and media drive a different one.

Also, if I'm reading correctly, does this mean the 5 seat variant will be shorter in length that the 7 seat one? That sounds, IMHO, counter-productive. It is contrary to the impression that I had, which led me to believe that the 5 seaters will be nothing but 7-seater with the rear seats removed.

Or will there be an XUV700 plus, with an Innova like boot, and therefore a Volvo B11R rivalling length?
Old 19th August 2021, 04:32   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Expect some premium for the higher-specced 185PS diesels and the * longer 7-seaters.*
Does that mean the 5 seaters will be shorter than 4695 mm? That will be really awesome and city friendly if so. One way of doing it without escalating costs is to keep the length unaltered for the 5 seaters (4585 mm; as in XUV500) but something even shorter, around 4500-4550 mm will be ideal. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
Huh?!?
Pray, tell me more. Now you have all my attention, and I'm all ears.
+1

Last edited by Geta : 19th August 2021 at 04:38.
Old 19th August 2021, 04:50   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Most detailed review for the most awaited Car. Rated 5 Star.

Here are the acceleration figures of the XUV700 for both Petrol and Diesel Engines.

2-litre mStallion direct-injection turbo-petrol. Tested it with VBOX.

0-100kmph: 9.51s
0-160kmh: 25.89s
1/4 mile: 16.92s @ 135.5kmph
Top speed: 197.4kmph

2.2-litre mHawk Diesel
0-100kmph: 9.88s
0-160kmh: 26.11s
1/4 mile: 17.17s @ 133.8kmp
Top speed: 191.8 kmph

Link
These speeds are bonkers and when I read the specs, I was sure that this will be one beast that you ought to drive very carefully otherwise you would never know when it touches silly speeds like 140 or 150. But all-in-all, I have nothing but Praise for Mahindra and also for TeamBHP.
I am now dropping the plan myself for a used Toyota Fortuner. I'll see whenever it is available in showrooms (Himachal/Chandigarh) and want to drive both Petrol and Diesel. Might go for Petrol, gives extra piece of mind as wont have to worry about cold starts in early mornings and also the DPF Filter.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 07:42   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
I thought the dimensions that were released were for the 7 seater variants, I mean the demo cars were 7-seater variants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Does that mean the 5 seaters will be shorter than 4695 mm?
Wrong choice of a word by me. I should have just said "7-seater" or "3-row variants" or "extra row variants" instead of "longer".

Dimensions will remain exactly the same. Just that there will be a small premium charged for the extra row of seats, over the 5-seater variant prices we have right now.

Also, Mahindra is following Kia's example - an XUV7OO for every customer. Hence there will be offerings galore across the range. The idea is to pull most SUV buyers willing to pay 10 lakhs and above into their showrooms. Don't be surprised if the top-end 185PS AX7 AT AWD comes in near, or just a smidge above, the 20 lakh ex-showroom mark. With optional packs at their disposal, Mahindra can price the 7OO very competitively now.

But remember, these will be introductory prices.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 08:31   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
This is what I used to tell myself before actually using the ADAS features. My current car comes with all of stuff and trust me it makes your everyday life much much much easier. I don’t think I’ll buy another car which doesn’t have these active safety features. The list is endless and it makes you a very safe driver as well. Also most of the stuff is very intuitive and takes no time to get used to.
Completely agree, I have driven Volvo S90 1000s of mile in US and ADAS not only makes it safe but even makes it convenient in bumper to bumper traffic with adaptive cruise control. How much it will help in bumper to bumper traffic in Indian conditions is yet to be seen but can’t deny safety aspect of it in Indian conditions.

I have budget of 40-50Lacs but most likely will go in for AX7 and save some money. But I am going to wait at least till Jan 2022. Last time I bought TUV300 AMT right when it was launched, it had its initial issues and more but in the end turned out to be ok. I am still using TUV as primary vehicle and going to continue till XUV700 gets over its teething problems.
silverknight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 08:50   #175
BHPian

Saw Faisal Khan's review. He mentioned that Ventilated Seats will be offered. Let's see. Fingers crossed.
Old 19th August 2021, 08:51   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Will 200 mm ground clearance be enhanced through a different suspension set up ( suspension lift ) for AWD option ? Otherwise 200 mm is only good enough for mild soft roading. Further is there any information on approach and break over angle - does not look promising from serious off-roading point of view OR will there be redesigned bumpers for AWD option?
As with any other crossover, this is not meant for off-road driving , it can handle the rough and slippery surface having enough ground clearance and AWD.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:13   #177
BHPian

I think there was a question about approach angle in one of the posts, please check below review.
It has a few slides on the approach angle details.
I found this review useful for practical aspects of Petrol AT in start stop traffic, using manual override, how it holds on to specific gears in manual mode etc.
I was tempted to sell my hardly used BRV and join the bandwagon of booking without test drive. However, it seems third row is REALLY cramped and not very usable. I get the impression that knee room in third row is lesser than my BRV. Also, third row recline lever is located on the back which would be practically unusable. After recline there is hardly any boot space left. In my BRV third row has decent knee room, recline is very useful and there is decent boot space even after recline so not sure now :( I would wait for the test drive to check in person and then decide.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 19th August 2021 at 09:21. Reason: Corrected spelling mistake
ScorpWarp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:25   #178
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Will 200 mm ground clearance be enhanced through a different suspension set up ( suspension lift ) for AWD option ? Otherwise 200 mm is only good enough for mild soft roading. Further is there any information on approach and break over angle - does not look promising from serious off-roading point of view OR will there be redesigned bumpers for AWD option? Also i am not sure how many ADAS features will work for eg traffic sign recognition ? Not sure whether high beam assist will limit itself from just switching on and off high beam based on whether the speed is 80 - then it’s not ADAS.

In this video of AWD variant, it always looks like (to me at-least) that car is too low to the ground and could use another 3-4 cm of ground clearance. Maybe it is because the tyres are really tight-fitting in the wheel well with close to no space for articulation even with 2 passengers on board. Anyways, seems like this will be a soft-roader with some capability to handle slush/snow if required. Approach and departure angle (break-over angle is too low anyway by the looks of it) will further limit any off the road adventures that people may have in mind. Maybe this was a trade-off made by Mahindra for better on-road behaviour.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:29   #179
BHPian

Does the XUV7OO have drive modes (Eco, City, Sport)? I didn't find it mentioned in the review.
Old 19th August 2021, 09:45   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
However, it seems third row is REALLY cramped and not very usable. I get the impression that knee room in third row is lesser than my BRV. Also, third row recline lever is located on the back which would be practically unusable. After recline there is hardly any boot space left. In my BRV third row has decent knee room, recline is very useful and there is decent boot space even after recline so not sure now :( I would wait for the test drive to check in person and then decide.
You can check XUV500 3rd row itself. I dont think there is much of a noticeable difference in space in 500 and 700 for the 3rd row. Also though these cars are called 7 seaters, they are more of a 5 seater SUV and the 3rd row is only for an emergency passenger use. Most of the times XUV owners including myself keep the 3rd row seats flipped down to get the desired boot space. Hence making a decision to go for it based on 3rd row is actually not the right way to look at it. That way a Creta would be the better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Does the XUV7OO have drive modes (Eco, City, Sport)? I didn't find it mentioned in the review.
They called it Zip, Zap, Zoom.. and available only in diesel variant.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 19th August 2021 at 09:47.

Most Viewed