Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 09:46   #181
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Does the XUV7OO have drive modes (Eco, City, Sport)? I didn't find it mentioned in the review.
It does have drive mode in diesel (zip, zap, zoom)
The petrol model does not have drive modes.
Old 19th August 2021, 09:56   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Completely agree, I have driven Volvo S90 1000s of mile in US and ADAS not only makes it safe but even makes it convenient in bumper to bumper traffic with adaptive cruise control. How much it will help in bumper to bumper traffic in Indian conditions is yet to be seen but can’t deny safety aspect of it in Indian conditions.

I have budget of 40-50Lacs but most likely will go in for AX7 and save some money. But I am going to wait at least till Jan 2022. Last time I bought TUV300 AMT right when it was launched, it had its initial issues and more but in the end turned out to be ok. I am still using TUV as primary vehicle and going to continue till XUV700 gets over its teething problems.
When this came out I was pleasantly surprised as it packs in everything that comes in with an XC40 except adaptive bending lights. In fact it adds wireless CarPlay, Blind spot, 360 camera and maybe ventilated seats? It pretty much did what the xc40 did to the GLA, X1 & Q3 in 2018 by bringing in features from a segment above.

I estimate that the on-road pricing of the 2WD petrol AT AX7 should be around 19.99L ex-showroom as it might be the preferred powertrain of choice for most. This would allow lower taxation in some states like Karnataka. The 4WD AX7 might end up at around 25L ex-showroom.

I was considering a used xc40 d4 AWD recently but now I’m torn (which I was picking simply because it had park assist pilot; missing in the new xc40 t4 FWD)

But my salutations to M&M for taking the lead on active safety. Much needed in this decade, you can’t sell cars by counting airbags anymore.
pranaynewton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:02   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Does the XUV7OO have drive modes (Eco, City, Sport)? I didn't find it mentioned in the review.
Yes, there are driving modes but only on the diesel automatic. It's called Zip, Zap and Zoom and a custom option too which tunes the engine and steering feel. It's more like ECO, Sports and Sports plus mode. Link
Old 19th August 2021, 10:34   #184
BHPian

Any idea if the top variant will be available with black / dark seat color option? The all white is the single reason I would not put my money. Noticed dirty patches already in all drive videos (despite assuming Mahindra would be cleaning them regularly before each drive).
Old 19th August 2021, 10:46   #185
BHPian

Boy oh boy! This car ticks most boxes for most car buyers, and with the excellent M&M pricing strategy, this surely is a winner. What can stand between a long term success of this car is niggles associated with a fresh Mahindra product and delivery delays. Hope that Mahindra has considered these aspects appropriately.

The value proposition that the XUV 700 is unbelievable! What you can get is a 200 bhp turbo petrol at 11.99 lakhs. How this car can be perfect for me:
1. Value - I had booked a Seltos GTX+ 6AT at close to 22L (including extended warranty and stuff). At this price, the car is too small, considering the other cars like 700, Harrier and Hector.
2. No DSG/ DCT - I liked the fact that the XUV700 does not have a DSG gearbox, considering that GSG/ DCT has long term reliability issues. The torque converter AT with the 200 bhp engine can pull to 100 kmph in 9.XX seconds, as per reviews. This is very fast for the size of this car.
3. Options - Diesel is your only option, well, not in here. One can choose from Diesel, Petrol, 5 seats, 7 seats and AWD. This reminds me of the Seltos launch with so many variants. This is a good thing for us, consumers.
4. Better engineered product - Seeing the many videos of the XUV 700 and reading the Team-BHP review, it feels that this is a better engineered Mahindra. Mahindra also chose to have the car driven by the media at their proving ground and asked for inputs! Well, that gives a sense of relief - many niggles can be spotted this way and they get to fix it before the car reaches dealerships. Media drive and tests in one shot! Good one.

I feel lucky that I did not book a Harrier and chose the Seltos. Had I booked the Harrier, I would have got it delivered by now. With Seltos, I got a long waiting period, which would allow me to experience the XUV 700 as well. One thing is for certain - I won't take delivery of Seltos unless I consider the XUV 700. Period.
NotanF1driver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:47   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Any idea if the top variant will be available with black / dark seat color option? The all white is the single reason I would not put my money. Noticed dirty patches already in all drive videos (despite assuming Mahindra would be cleaning them regularly before each drive).
From the information seen so far, only the MX and the AX3 offer the darker shade of fabric seats. The top end, AX7 definitely is off-white. Not sure about the AX5. But yes, with all the option pack approach Mahindra is taking here, hope they do give an option for seat colour. Almost the only thing that I find difficult to reconcile in an otherwise attractive offering is the lighter colour of the interiors, esp. the seats. I too noticed smudge marks on the seats and the dash in a couple of the test cars in the reviews.
RPM1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:48   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Hence making a decision to go for it based on 3rd row is actually not the right way to look at it. That way a Creta would be the better option.
FundaG
I use brv mostly as 6 seater with not so young kids on the last row, they are comfortable becase of sliding second row and reclinable third row.
I used to own scorpio 7 seater before and was seriously impressed by the mhawk engine, it was such a fun to drive so not reallly thinking about Alcarzar. I feel its under powered. Both new xuv 700 engines seem to drivers delight.
I would probably wait for Xuv 700 2nd gen hoping for a sliding second row. Fingers crossed.
Old 19th August 2021, 10:48   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Any idea if the top variant will be available with black / dark seat color option?
Saw lower variant, fabric upholstery in dark color in some pics. Else its all beige / white ones.
Old 19th August 2021, 10:51   #189
BHPian

I've taken a plunge and gone with booking at dealer level in Bangalore.

I'm eagerly waiting for full feature set reveal so that I can decide on variant. As of now I'm thinking of MX or AX3 petrol variant.
Initially I was thinking between Kushaq base vs Ecosport Titanium diesel, went ahead with Ecosport. I recently cancelled my Ecosport booking for few reasons. Honestly both Ecosport and Kushaq didn't feel like an upgrade for me from my Fabia because of cabin space. XUV was never in my consideration because of its price in the past. With current pricing its almost irresistible, MX petrol is just 1.7 lacs away from Kushaq's base variant.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th August 2021 at 15:27.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:54   #190
BHPian

Okay having consumed a multitude of videos, poring over 13 pages on the forum and multitude of Whatsapp conversations on this, here's my take on the 700:
  1. Huge red flag for me is the spare wheel. A full size spare or atleast a 1 size downer is needed for a butch vehicle like this. The current donut spares do not work. Especially in India where road conditions aren't well...perfect
  2. The MX variants are priced disruptively. It will be what gets the Sonet/Seltos/Creta/Brezza crowds into Mahindra showrooms
  3. The AX3 or AX5 seems to be aimed at the Hector/Harrier crowd. It'll be interesting to see who opts for it
  4. AX7, with optional packs, is the true red herring. At a shade over 20 lakh pricing, this will not only go after the Safari/Alcazar/Hector+ crowd but also in Endy/Fortuner territory. The latter crowd doesn't cross shop but are sure to change minds if they are assured of swifter delivery timelines
  5. Engine modes are going to be the deal breakers in the higher variants. Even then, I assume there will be enough on tap to pull through with 6/7 people on board
  6. Well, lets say with the turbo petrols at least, lets forget the "kitna deti hai" question. The car seems to be tailormade for those who are rev happy. Same goes for the diesels
  7. Make no mistake, Mahindra are easily looking at 5k delivery volumes with this variant, with significant skew towards the MX and AX3. More specifically the diesels given the petrol prices. Can also hypothesize that the turbo petrols will find takers only in cities but elsewhere diesel will be king
sleepyhead148 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:04   #191
BHPian

Excellent and unbiased review as always. We are the only review calling it a reworked XUV 500 platform. And, I am pretty sure it is. Else, how can Mahindra price it so aggressively?

Mahindra also mentioned that the XUV 700 has 80% more chasis stiffness. Would that be possible if they have reworked the XUV 500 chasis?

Did anyone else notice that the steering wheel has a round crease. Does it have some function? Is it a design or poor machine tooling?

Definitely XUV 500 on steroids. Nevertheless, a great product and that too by a home grown automaker.

Last edited by Horizon85 : 19th August 2021 at 11:07. Reason: Missed one point.
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:13   #192
BHPian

Has anyone been successful in securing a booking at the dealer level in Mumbai? I called up a couple of dealerships, like NBS(Juhu) and Hare Krishna(Mulund), but both of them denied accepting bookings.

If anyone has managed to do so, which dealership did they book it with?
Old 19th August 2021, 11:20   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
This is what I used to tell myself before actually using the ADAS features. My current car comes with all of stuff and trust me it makes your everyday life much much much easier. I don’t think I’ll buy another car which doesn’t have these active safety features. The list is endless and it makes you a very safe driver as well. Also most of the stuff is very intuitive and takes no time to get used to.

Also this is not new tech, it’s just new in mass market cars in India. So I don’t think there will be many niggles around it as the company who made the module is pretty solid.
I fully agree with turbowhistle. I used to think that lane assist is of no use in India. Lane Assist makes highway rides very comfortable. It guides on a turn when the steering is held lightly and this helps a lot during night driving.
It is shame that VW has removed these features( Lane Assist & Front Assist) from 2021 T Roc.
Mahindra has hit the bull's-eye. Now other brands will be forced to add active safety features.
sagwal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:25   #194
Senior - BHPian

Finally, a Mahindra that deserves respect.

Well done!
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:30   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
If all goes well, there will be a 7OO standing in our garage in a year's time, possibly by Q3-2022.

Congrats RavenAvi. It is indeed a tempting proposition what they seem to have come up with. A couple of questions.

1. Which engine, gearbox or variant are you veering towards tentatively?

2. What is your opinion of top of line XUV 7OO variants versus say a Hyundai Tucson?

Thanks.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed