Power: 185 bhp
Torque: 420Nm

BMW 320d Price: 48.50 lakhs

XUV700 Price: 15 lakhs
AMG Power is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:43   #257
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Are there any reviews/ videos/ photos of the MX version? Most of the reviews are of the AX version. I'd like to see the instrument cluster and dash of the MX.

Also is it possible that an MX version with the higher state diesel engine tune with AT and 4WD will ever be introduced?

Mahindra did offer the Scorpio S4 with 4WD. A base version without all the electronics, but a solid engine, 4WD and AT at 13.99 Ex showroom will surely be a best seller.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:50   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi MukundanMK, could you share if this above info was shared by your senior Mahindra source/ contact, or is an assumption derived, from all the informations he has shared with you?
Hi K_Ajay, he just hinted that all the missing bells and whistles could be added to a new variant at a very later stage. M&M had a similar strategy with XUV 500 as well, when they launched W4/6/8 and then at a later date, launched W10. He hinted a similar strategy, but he had no confirmation on the dates for this. It was a fan boy moment for me when I wrote about dark leather seats, ventilated seats, Auto IRVM, sliding middle row, request sensor, mood lighting, puddle lamp etc...

M&M cannot launch a AX9 variant now with all the missing features added, as they want to keep the launch price aggressive. That's why MX variants are introduced in only Manual variant (no AT) and they are expected to be discontinued in an year's time. That's when they could add the AX9 variant. My source was confident on this, but he said it will take a long time for this as they are expecting record bookings for almost all variants, as the pricing is drafted in a way that it will disrupt a competitors luxury hatchbacks, entry level CSUVs, to the top end SUVs/MUVs.

Update: I spoke with him during market open today and he said that there would be some official new updates from M&M next week. Not sure what it could be - could be entry diesel variants or some news about the Petrol AX7 variants. They are going to slowly steadily reveal the excitement. I wish they upload a single brochure with all variants details and announce the price for the remaining variants at a later date. Getting a bit impatient and my car dealer is testing my patience further by being very tight lipped (or probably he doesn't have much information to share)!!!
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:07   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

BMW 320d Price: 48.50 lakhs

XUV700 Price: 15 lakhs
These luxury brands are way overpriced for what they offer. This has encouraged other brands like Skoda to jack up the prices of their cars(eg Kodiaq, Octavia). I hope the XUV 7OO is reliable enough and provides a decent drive experience. This should force price correction from other manufacturers.
axe_deo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:11   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Yeah I understood that. My point is it will be uncomfortable for people with 6ft+ height in third row. I feel people with light build and lower height could be pretty comfy even in last row. The third row won't be as comfortable as second row is a given, even in Crysta.
I see 5+2 seaters like XUV500 and Safari as the 3BHK equivalents and 5 seaters like Creta and Honda City as the premium 2 BHK equivalents in the Indian auto industry. This target base of buyers holds true for most indian cities with the exception of Mumbai (with its skyhigh real estate prices and traffic jams leading most ppl to take public transport) and the SUV crazy NCR.

A typical 3 BHK occupant family will be a family of 3-4 adults with 1-2 children. They really don't need a 7 seater and a 5+2 seater is perfect for them if it is easy to drive and park in the city. (Nuclear families will anyway go for a Creta, Seltos, Compass or X1 based on their purchasing power. ) This is the target segment for XUV500. These families value the city driveability more than the last row comfort for adult passengers.

Now Mahindra may have hit the wrong chord by increasing the length to 4695mm (thereby compromising city friendliness) without actually making the third row more comfortable. No man's land, actually. But they have priced it very very aggressively so that the target segment may overlook certain practical negatives.

Anyway, let us wait and watch. I would love to see a 5 seater XUV700 with its length reduced to 4500 mm, though.

If third row comfort is such a priority, Xylo would have at least matched Innova's sales. Sadly, it is not the reality. Third row of every other 6/7 seater from Ertiga till Kodiaq is a joke. None of them is superior to what is offered in the XUV, but still they have their own target segment who are happy with those vehicles. XUV will be no different.

Last edited by Geta : 20th August 2021 at 10:26.
Geta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:16   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
A big thanks to the Mods for a short and quick review. Hoping finer details to be added once you get your hands on the vehicle in real life conditions.
4. And lastly, How to convince yourself and your family to go for an Auto after they've been stranded on numerous occasions or faced multiple issues because of a faulty DSG?

Any help is highly appreciated.
I have a 14 year old Grand Vitara AT (1,05,000 kms with 4 speed Aisin gearbox) and a 13 year old Santro AT (almost 70k kms 4 speed gearbox based on Aisin tech transfer to Hyundai.). Both come with old school torque convertor AT gear boxes. And my Grand Vitara has been abused on offroad trails, dunked in water etc.
Torque convertor boxes are reliable. And Aisin more so. The AT gearbox on the Grand Vitara is said to have a life of 2,50,000 kms before needing any attention. Of course you have to be proactive in changing oil.
The DSG technology is basically flawed. So it is prone to failure.

So probability of an Aisin torque convertor failing on you is same as that of a mechanical shift gearbox.
sridhar-v is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:41   #262
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Are there any reviews/ videos/ photos of the MX version? Most of the reviews are of the AX version. I'd like to see the instrument cluster and dash of the MX.
There's one by Mahindra themselves, although it's just about 40 seconds.

Quote:
Also is it possible that an MX version with the higher state diesel engine tune with AT and 4WD will ever be introduced?
I don't think that will happen. Infact, MX might even be discontinued, this time next year. It's IMO launched for the sticker price shock effect.

On the topic of keyless entry and exit, the T BHP review states that there are request sensors on all the 4 doors! This is another segment first and should be highly appreciated. Even the MX variant surely gets the request sensor atleast on the driver side, as per the attached screenshot. I believe the three dots must act as a keyless entry exit?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-smart-door.jpg  

07CR is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:42   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
These luxury brands are way overpriced for what they offer. This has encouraged other brands like Skoda to jack up the prices of their cars(eg Kodiaq, Octavia). I hope the XUV 7OO is reliable enough and provides a decent drive experience. This should force price correction from other manufacturers.
Yes, Luxury brands do look overpriced for the value they offer but not for everyone. For luxury brands, something called "perceived value" comes in play during the buying decision which is a subjective thing and can differ from customer to customer. One more thing which skews up their price vis-a-vis the performance they offer is "Cost of Brand/Prestige". What is the price you are ready to shell out to get that prestigious feeling of owing a luxury brand. This is a very tricky question to answer for a customer logically and this is where luxury manufacturers attack.

Now coming to the last part, will XUV700 force price correction from other manufacturers?
From Luxury brands: Not at all
From Skoda/VAG: For products like Kodiaq, Octavia - again, not at all. For products like Kushaq, Taigun - Maybe, just maybe, but there is a very slim chance to it.
From Korean siblings: Definitely it will
UltraViolence is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 10:46   #264
BHPian

Quote:

M&M officially released the below video for their MX variant. The instrument cluster and dash is shown in that, albeit the full dashboard view is not shown clearly.

I doubt if MX variant would be upgraded with AT and AWD features. AWD is going to come only in Diesel. So practically Diesel MX AT AWD variant is possible and you never know what M&M can come up with, especially if they are in this aggressive market capturing mood!!!

MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:10   #265
BHPian

Is it just me or does the alloys look like Momo Quantums? It does go well with the grill design though.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-images-3.jpeg  

Old 20th August 2021, 11:23   #266
BHPian

I do think the most VFM variants for XUV 700 would be either MX or AX5. Over AX3, AX5 gets so much for extra 1 lac. If I were in the market for a manual SUV under 15 lacs...it's definitely MX. MX to AX3 price jump of 2 lacs in steep in my opinion. However, AX3 to Ax5 is VFM.
SidR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:36   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
... Can you please also advice what the buyer SHOULD do with the skinny spare wheel wearing 155mm profile tire which can not be used in any other vehicle for regular use.
Sell, exchange or keep it in the garage - owner's discretion. There is "NO" perfect car. We either keep looking for one or find the one which is closest to our needs and live with few compromises.

I would love a 5 seater XUV 700 with every damn option but going by few tips, no such option will be available. The next best I can is to go for a 7 seater top end, fold down the 3rd row seats or remove it altogether, but also spend that additional amount for buying the 7 seater, which ideally I don't "need".
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:58   #268
BHPian

M&M is doing a poll on interested buyers and I'm sure many in the forum would have gotten a call.

I was sure to mention them the below:

1. 5 seater is the need and there should be all options available on this
2. Auto-dimming IRVM
3. Ventilated Seats
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:03   #269
BHPian

I have a question for the experts here: how feasible are the CNG conversions on a modern day direct injection turbo petrol engines? And, are such conversions advisable?

Please don't adjudge this query from running costs, cost of ownership, warranty voidance or affordability point of view. I just had this thought that with 1000 liters plus boot space (in 5 seater) and such powerful petrol engine, can an advanced CNG kit be safely used as alternate fuel on the XUV?

Last edited by museycal : 20th August 2021 at 12:06.
museycal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:08   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidR View Post
I do think the most VFM variants for XUV 700 would be either MX or AX5. Over AX3, AX5 gets so much for extra 1 lac. If I were in the market for a manual SUV under 15 lacs...it's definitely MX. MX to AX3 price jump of 2 lacs in steep in my opinion. However, AX3 to Ax5 is VFM.
Yes AX5 gets additional 2 curtain airbags, skyroof and diamond alloys as major updates over AX3. Worthy enough to shell out 1 lac more IMO. This is my preferred model as I still can't digest the fact that AX7 comes with dirt attracting white seats and lots of technos, which I feel are still in BETA stage only. Mind says the practically packaged AX5 and Heart says the luxuriously packaged AX7. More than that, my Home Finance Minister has okayed XUV 700 bill ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sell, exchange or keep it in the garage - owner's discretion. There is "NO" perfect car. We either keep looking for one or find the one which is closest to our needs and live with few compromises.

I would love a 5 seater XUV 700 with every damn option but going by few tips, no such option will be available. The next best I can is to go for a 7 seater top end, fold down the 3rd row seats or remove it altogether, but also spend that additional amount for buying the 7 seater, which ideally I don't "need".
Couldn't agree more... might sound harsh, but that is the reality. People shopping for top end Venue/Sonnet or entry level Creta/Seltos can now dream of entry level XUV700. Yes XUV700 will not have a 5 seater AX7 version. But, AX5 will come in 5 seater model and that is fantastically priced. Why spoil this nice dream over a spare wheel? I have been driving XUV W6 model from 2012 and touch wood I haven't got a need to use a stepny in this 9 years. My car tires have got punctured, but I was still able to drive slowly for around 5 kms and get it fixed. We also have RSA option given by both manufacturer and insurer nowadays, which can be availed during some worst case scenario. My philosophy is that you will never get to see a perfect human/spouse/children/car. Got to be very happy with the high % of positives and learn to live with the low % of negatives. Sorry if this is sounding harsh to anyone, but this is more of a reality and my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
M&M is doing a poll on interested buyers and I'm sure many in the forum would have gotten a call.

I was sure to mention them the below:

1. 5 seater is the need and there should be all options available on this
2. Auto-dimming IRVM
3. Ventilated Seats
Wow, I too registered in their website and hopefully they call me even to get my 2 cents of opinion. 5 seater is there for sure till AX5 variant. AX7 5 seater would be a welcome move agreed. In addition to the Auto IRVM and Ventilated Seats, I would almost plead them for black or brown seats. Backside of the front seat is also milk white and middle row passengers are definitely going to rub their shoes regardless of how much ever careful they are going to be. And what can I tell my 6 year old daughter, who just likes walking from first to last row on my current XUV? With the skyroof open, kids would want to stand on the seats and view outside (not when the car is in motion, when the car is stationery).

Last edited by MukundanMK : 20th August 2021 at 12:13. Reason: Back to Back post
MukundanMK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed