Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2021, 12:27   #271
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidR View Post
I do think the most VFM variants for XUV 700 would be either MX or AX5. Over AX3, AX5 gets so much for extra 1 lac. If I were in the market for a manual SUV under 15 lacs...it's definitely MX. MX to AX3 price jump of 2 lacs in steep in my opinion. However, AX3 to Ax5 is VFM.
Well I saw the Ax3 videos on youtube and the fabric seats although would be easy to maintain but they surely take away the charm from the vehicle
The fabric seats don't look upmarket at all
911CarerraS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:36   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
If you have any other queries, I can compile and take it up with my source.
Hi sir, I have a really important question on base variant of XUV7OO. Since it has steering mounted controls, does it have the Cruise control option (the normal one, not the radar guided obviously ). And what's the expected wait time for having the car delivered. My dad wants to change his car next year. So obviously I need to book it on the first day the bookings are opened. But if the wait is more that 8-10 months it'll be too long so need to plan an alternative as well. Thanks in advance.
Knighted06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:38   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
Well I saw the Ax3 videos on Youtube and the fabric seats although would be easy to maintain but they surely take away the charm from the vehicle
Agreed that the black fabric seats which is expected in MX/AX3/AX5 variants, don't look upmarket, but they are more practical to maintain. But there are no side bags in these variants and we can install OEM or third party seats in these variants. A black ventilated leather seat in top end version would have been drooling IMO!!!
MukundanMK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:38   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
How dangerous is ADAS to a car trailing it (which doesn't have ADAS but only a not so keen driver)?

I am not accustomed to panic braking by the car in front of me (unless the signal is amber/cop ahead) and I feel the system will be mighty effective at a panic stop. Does this increase the risk of a shunt in our Indian context?
I use to think about this but in my experience, my car has braked on several instances where two wheelers or three wheelers enters your path and the system triggers the brakes even before you realise they were in your way and does it so intuitively. If you are in a rolling speed, the system doest fully halt the car but does slow you down enough to avoid the frontal collision. In case of crawling speeds, it does at times come to a grinding halt but in those cases the vehicle at the back is usually crawling too giving time for them to react. There was one occasion where I was at speeds of around 50 or so in a city road and one pedestrian was looking to cross the road in a very uncertain manner, he entered my path for one split second and retreated but the system recognised and slowed me down a by a few notches that actually put a smile on my face. I was certain I wouldn't have reacted that way manually. The beauty of these ADAS systems (assuming they are well engineered and programmed) is that they can continue to evolve and can be refined further.
vjbox is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:51   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
BMW 320d

Power: 187.74 bhp
Torque: 400Nm

XUV 700

Power: 185 bhp
Torque: 420Nm

BMW 320d Price: 48.50 lakhs

XUV700 Price: 15 lakhs
Sort of an Apple to Oranges comparison . I am sure we don't even need a validation that the Bimmer would be crushing it all driving aspects. Regardless of things, this is a great leap for M&M and I hope they also nail the driving dynamics part that can rival some Euro cars.
vjbox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:10   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Now Mahindra may have hit the wrong chord by increasing the length to 4695mm (thereby compromising city friendliness) without actually making the third row more comfortable. No man's land, actually. But they have priced it very very aggressively so that the target segment may overlook certain practical negatives.

Anyway, let us wait and watch. I would love to see a 5 seater XUV700 with its length reduced to 4500 mm, though.
Instead of reducing the length of the XUV700, Mahindra should introduce another smaller SUV, e.g. revised XUV500 with a smaller ~1.5 litre engine. This way, it can provide better drivability in city, lower weight, better fuel economy, and wont dilute the perceived value of XUV700 in the minds of owners.

Mahindra already has a sub 4mt SUV, XUV300. My wild guess is that Mahindra will extend the dimensions, especially the length by around 250mm and launch the extended version with bigger boot and higher engine power as the new XUV500. It may also add some more features.

In effect, Mahindra will have the cross-over family with XUV300 (Sub 4Mtr), XUV500 (~4.3 mtr 5 seater), and XUV700 (~4.7 mt 5&7 seater), best suited for urban and semi-urban markets, as great city, highway and soft-roading capabilities, and with all the creature comforts, luxury.

A pure ladder chassis SUV, Thar, already exists for those who want extreme adventure or are purists for true off-roading.

Scorpio is additional bigger, rugged and functionality focused utility SUV in the portfolio, especially for the rough terrains, semi-urban and rural markets, filling the gap between adventure and urban luxury mobility.
Pulse500 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:12   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighted06 View Post
Hi sir, I have a really important question on base variant of XUV7OO. Since it has steering mounted controls, does it have the Cruise control option (the normal one, not the radar guided obviously ). And what's the expected wait time for having the car delivered. My dad wants to change his car next year. So obviously I need to book it on the first day the bookings are opened. But if the wait is more that 8-10 months it'll be too long so need to plan an alternative as well. Thanks in advance.
In the video that I saw of Ax3 variant, there was no cruise control option. I'm not sure about Ax5 but Ax3 surely doesn't come with cruise control
911CarerraS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:30   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
Wow, I too registered in their website and hopefully they call me even
Where is the link to this? Is it just the normal customer interest form or is there a separate form for prospective owners?

I would love to join a focus group and let the company know what I need. Along with the aforementioned features like Auto dimming IRVM, dark interiors and ventilated seats, I would also like to suggest some nifty features like one touch operation for all power windows(along with the option to long press key fob to raise/lower them), a conversation mirror on variants without the sunroof,repositioning of the MID controls on the steering on the AX3 variant, and much more.
Old 20th August 2021, 13:45   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighted06 View Post
Sir, AX3 will not be getting cruise control for sure, which means MX variant will also miss out. Regarding the waiting period, it is expected to be delayed. There is a record no of booking expected across variants and also the semiconductor shortage is still hitting Auto industry badly. I have fixed my mind to book by this Diwali and get delivery by next Diwali.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
Where is the link to this? Is it just the normal customer interest form or is there a separate form for prospective owners?

I would love to join a focus group and let the company know what I need. Along with the aforementioned features like Auto dimming IRVM, dark interiors and ventilated seats, I would also like to suggest some nifty features like one touch operation for all power windows(along with the option to long press key fob to raise/lower them), a conversation mirror on variants without the sunroof,repositioning of the MID controls on the steering on the AX3 variant, and much more.
Agreed that these would be good to have along with the already listed great to have features . I am not sure if there is any special link to register. I did in the XUV 700 homepage of M&M. I have been getting SMS, WhatsApp and also Emails, but no one has called so far.

Last edited by MukundanMK : 20th August 2021 at 13:47. Reason: .
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:48   #280
BHPian

So I had a conversation with my dealer friend, and every other dealer in my state and just to be sure, called a few dealers in a neighbouring state just to make sure that no unofficial bookings are being done in my area. My friend commented that Mahindra hasn't given any insider information to the dealers as well regarding the booking date.

Furthermore, one peculiar thing that I noted while reading the unofficial booking post by @TusharK is that the neither the variant type or any other information is mentioned. It just says booking amount for XUV7OO. While booking my earlier vehicles, I have noticed the mention of variant and fuel type on the receipt. This however seems a generalized booking.

My assumption is that the day bookings officially open, the dealers would just enter the details of these unofficial bookings into the system(beforehand taking the variant wanted by the customer). However, a lot of us would be booking online just to avoid the Covid situation and for hassle-free process. The question that arises here is How does the online booking stack against the dealer booking? Whether the dealer booking gets priority or the online booking does? Or it's just a matter of who does it first?

Any answer about this would be highly appreciated
Moto_Bear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 14:38   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
Well I saw the Ax3 videos on Youtube and the fabric seats although would be easy to maintain but they surely take away the charm from the vehicle
Fully agree. The leatherette in the AX7 looks way more premium but the beige/off white will be difficult to maintain. They could have either gone with black leather seats (as offered in the Compass) or at least given that as an option.

In the AX3 and AX5, it's not just the fabric seats that rob it of a premium touch. The lighter colour on the soft touch on the dash gets replaced with hard plastic as does the driver arm rest. The gear knob and the steering also lose their sheen in an otherwise upmarket space.
RPM1706 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 14:49   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Fans of the gangsta Black colour shade, here is some good news for you:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-untitled.jpg

First commerically produced XUV7OO rolls out from Mahindra's assembly line - an Electric Blue AX7:-
Mahindra XUV700 Review-untitled2.jpg
(Source)

The 7OO will start arriving at dealerships nation-wide before the second week of September for display and for test drives. So keep a keen eye out for that at your nearest Mahindra dealerships, guys.

The design of the grille is growing on me. The first pic from post #3 of our official First Drive review report is now my wallpaper, and the more I look at it, the more I am starting to like it. It's inspired from the Alturas G4 no doubt, but gives off a Maserati/Prado-ish vibe, which is not bad at all. At least it's not overdone or outlandish as some of the popular modern Hyundais we are well aware of.

That said, the dual C-shaped DRLs look out of place. Not sure how it would light up at nights, but during the day it looks overdone.

And the new "twin peaks" Mahindra logo - well, my little girl has named it Spiderman's/Venom's eyes, after the respective Marvel characters. I cannot say I disagree with her. Not like it's a bad thing, but you get the gist.

Overall design from all angles is evolutionary. I don't blame Mahindra for the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" approach. The first design was a hit with the masses, and this will continue the legacy until Pratap Bose does his take with the 7OO in the years to come.

Front seats look super comfy and snuggly, ample space inside for 5 to sit in full comfort, a well-sorted high-speed compliant suspension with FSD, and two dynamite engine options. What more can one want in the sub-20 lakh segment? Suddenly, every other option in this price range seems like daylight robbery.

Yes, in case it isn't evident yet, the 7OO is eagerly awaited. Specially by me.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 20th August 2021 at 15:19. Reason: added first production pic.
RavenAvi is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 15:09   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Sort of an Apple to Oranges comparison . I am sure we don't even need a validation that the Bimmer would be crushing it all driving aspects. Regardless of things, this is a great leap for M&M and I hope they also nail the driving dynamics part that can rival some Euro cars.
He has simply compared two diesel engines of similar displacement, so seems like Apple to Apple comparison.
giri1.8 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 15:11   #284
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
BMW 320d

Power: 187.74 bhp
Torque: 400Nm

XUV 700

Power: 185 bhp
Torque: 420Nm

BMW 320d Price: 48.50 lakhs

XUV700 Price: 15 lakhs
8 Speed ZF gearbox is simply one of the best gearboxes in the world and it’s in another league. The gearbox itself costs more than 40% of the price of XUV 7OO. 320d is the fastest diesel car below 60 lakhs with 100 coming is less than 7 seconds and more than 230 kmph topspeed. Surely no comparison here.

Last edited by anb : 20th August 2021 at 15:24.
anb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 18:39   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
8 Speed ZF gearbox is simply one of the best gearboxes in the world and it’s in another league. The gearbox itself costs more than 40% of the price of XUV 7OO. 320d is the fastest diesel car below 60 lakhs with 100 coming is less than 7 seconds and more than 230 kmph topspeed. Surely no comparison here.
The comparison is an eye opener, if you look at what the so called premium brands offer - it can be called as a rip off. In their defense the volumes are less and perhaps components are more expensive, but it does not change the fact that an everyday 3 row crossover made by a tractor company is offering so much more.
Kosfactor is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed