Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:49   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Gaadiwadi says ".... the 0-100 kmph dash took only 11.96 seconds.". Evo (Sirish Chandran) manages to record 0-100 kmph in 9.51 secs, that too for an AT! Can the manual be 2.5 second slower than an AT? Or Gaadiwadi folks couldn't test it properly?

Attachment 2196714
Would anyday trust Sirish here more than Gaadiwadi !
07CR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 15:56   #377
BHPian

According to Autocar India bookings start in September, and deliveries will commence in October.

Source: Insta Post
vaibhav27 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:24   #378
BHPian

10 negatives (compared with alcazar and safari):

no ventilated seats
light interior colors
hard plastics
no sliding middle row
no captain seat option
no auto dimming ivrm
no curtains
no paddle shifters
limited boot space
limited third row head space

naru80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:40   #379
Senior - BHPian

The Thar AT Petrol is faster than the Manual. It does a Sub 10 second 0-100 run. Look it up.
I can easily believe that now even the torque converter ATs are faster than manuals.
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:55   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

For BHPians who want to know about the tech specs. This is by far the most informative video. The information is from Mr. Velusamy himself, this car is designed and made with certain attributes of european cars in mind including performance and dynamics. Language is Tamil but I think a lot of English is there in between to help understand it.

Mr Velusamy is not comfortable with English as I have observed, so in here he is at his talking best and I doubt anyone else in their group can explain things this well. He is confident that it is unmatched in many areas.

Kosfactor is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:16   #381
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
For BHPians who want to know about the tech specs. This is by far the most informative video. The information is from Mr. Velusamy himself, this car is designed and made with certain attributes of european cars in mind including performance and dynamics.
Thanks for the share Kosfactor. In the part two video, Mr. Velusamy Sir goes in to detail about the structure and build quality. Very fascinating. He says in terms of strength, there’s mild strength steel, then high strength steel and then comes advanced high strength steel and finally Boron steel. The structure of the XUV700 is made of Boron steel and can take 18 tonnes of impact. That’s impressive. I love technical talks, they’re soo interesting. He’s super confident with the build quality and dynamics of the car and he’s definitely super proud of the stellar engines he’s built. I’m quite impressed with the effort M&M has put in with the XUV700. I just can’t figure out how all this is possible at this price point. I’m very happy (actually ecstatic) that an Indian company is stepping up and giving us a world class car that is structurally safe, drives well, has brilliant engines mated to good AT’s, loaded with features and tech and all this at a reasonable price

You go MAHINDRA. There’s no stopping you. I want the XUV700 to be a grand success. This success won’t only motivate M&M further, but it’ll also teach the other automotive companies a lesson or two. Going OT here. Toyota, maybe stop milking us like we’re dairy cows and get in your global portfolio at reasonable prices and it’s embarrassing to see a rebadged Breeza being sold next to a Fortuner. Koreans? Safety, no? Features, yes. High time you’ve valued Indian lives like you value Australian and American lives and please fire whoever is supplying your brakes components. Tata, please sort out your internal issues. No one understands why your senior level management is leaving. It’s time you made Tata great again. The Harrier, Safari, HBX, Nexon EV. Bring it on. I’m waiting for the day when Tata and M&M are in the top 4 consistently. They deserve it for the effort they’re putting in.

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 22nd August 2021 at 19:26.
VRJ is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:46   #382
BHPian

Except for the last 3 negatives, most of the remaining 7 can be fixed by Mahindra. Lets hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post

no ventilated seats
light interior colors
hard plastics
no sliding middle row
no captain seat option
no auto dimming ivrm
no curtains
no paddle shifters
limited boot space
limited third row head space

https://Youtu.be/r4ITWU58kEs
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:54   #383
BHPian

One point that struck me was that Maruti is now condemned to selling cars with 1L & 1.2L engines and some 1.5L petrols (mainly Ertiga).
They just do not have any engines in their portfolio to take on the XUV range of TGDI Petrols at an affordable price.

I will now look to replace, in 2023-2025, my Grand Vitara with the XUV700 AWD AT. Hope they offer that in petrol by then.
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:56   #384
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
For BHPians who want to know about the tech specs. This is by far the most informative video. The information is from Mr. Velusamy himself, this car is designed and made with certain attributes of european cars in mind including performance and dynamics. Language is Tamil but I think a lot of English is there in between to help understand it.

Mr Velusamy is not comfortable with English as I have observed, so in here he is at his talking best and I doubt anyone else in their group can explain things this well. He is confident that it is unmatched in many areas.
Loved the videos. It helps that I know tamil.
How I wish all car reviews were like this, focussing on the actual points that need to be focussed on, and present a holistic picture about the car, rather than flim-flam details and snazzy camera shots overlaid with techno music.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:40   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very interesting talk. The sheer level of ambition and confidence of M&M and its leadership comes through. Despite various issues such as failed acquisitions, botched up ordering resulting in hard impact of chip shortages, production capacity issues resulting in ultra-long wait lists etc., they never have an iota of doubt about their success. Also the stated ambition to bring a car comparable to the BMW, Audi and Benz to the Indian customer for a price he or she can afford is laudable.

He keeps mentioning that you can go confidently in the XUV 700 at 200 km per hour. I hope too many newbie drivers do not take that literally and try speeds anywhere close. This is India, the vehicle may be capable of such speeds, however everything else on the roads from cows to autorickshaws going in the wrong direction to truck drivers who do not care too hoots about road rules, makes it utterly unsafe to do anything over 120 kph.
84.monsoon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:46   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
no paddle shifters
Somehow I never understood this fuss behind paddle shifters.
Unless on a track, why would anyone miss paddle shifters on a AT SUV.
I have a few AT cars, and never ever have I used manual mode in them, even for spirited driving.

For a performance oriented car may be, but paddle shifters as a deal breaker for a SUV????
akshay4587 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 23:21   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who many not be able to follow Tamil, made some notes for reading - Caution : my own Tamil is a bit rusty therefore corrections welcome.

The conversation is around these points made by Mr. Velusamy, he encourages the media person to drive it as he pleases on their track.
  • Have driven lots of vehicles like Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc. BMW has excellent driving dynamics, Mercedes and Audi has excellent comfort, we wanted to make a vehicle like that that can provide a similar driving experience at an affordable price, it was a dream that started 3 years back.
  • Started with around 1000 engineers in MRV near Chennai. This product is a sacrifice of 1000 engineers for 3 years.
  • 200 Bhp and capable of 200kmph even in hands of normal drivers.
  • Has torque vectoring and DSC for maintaining stable handling.
  • Vehicle is meant for high speed and safety at high speeds, easily capable of 200 kmph.
  • 12 physical speakers and simulates 16 speakers.
  • 3D immersive sound, capable of 5 axis , 5 channel.
  • Adrenox has 6GB RAM, Qualcomm mobile processor.
  • Screen is mounted without airgap COF bonding , 2HD screen.
  • Alexa enabled from anywhere including offline inside the vehicle.
  • Has inbuilt navigation as well.
  • 20 years in engine development , mHawk is Mr. Velusamy's baby and now mStallion.
  • About mStallion.Engine is a very important aspect of an automobile, from 1700 rpm to about 3000rpm it should have flat torque curve, low end torque should be high for driver to push the vehicle.
  • Same family of engines shared with Thar, high refinement even with torque output like a diesel engine, 380nm torque. This is the master engine, Thar has a derivative of this engine.
  • High pressure 350 Bar gasoline direct injection, first time in the industry to deliver 200 bhp as well as high fuel efficiency.
  • 6 speed manual Transmission capable of 450nm torque with honed gears for refinement and high quality shifting. 1 and 2 gears have 3 synchros rest has dual synchros, carbon composite synchro for long life.
  • Refinement is 2.5 db less than competition.
  • Performance and Handling is segment best.
  • Frequent segment damping for wheel movement control, stiffened chassis for handling.
  • Structural safety with boron steel/ hotformed steel used in unibody in a ring and trident crash structure. Reference to Lord Murugan's Trident.
  • Crash structure absorbs 18 tons force , this impact energy is distributed across the boron steel structure, passenger compartment will remain intact.
  • 120 crash simulation to design platform.
  • 70% more stiff towards bending movement underneath than existing XUV to deal with high speed as well as rough roads. 80% Improvement in torsional stiffness over XUV.
  • Stiffness with new structure has enabled 110kg weight loss over current XUV. 7 airbags including knee airbag.
  • DSC will enable torque vectoring (AWD) or brakes to keep vehicle in line at high speeds, you can drive it at 200 kmph.
  • 450 Acres SUV proving grounds as the extension of MRV where this vehicle is developed near Chennai.
Kosfactor is online now   (52) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 01:13   #388
BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 Speculative Pricing

I have got some speculative prices from one of the insiders. Not sure if the figures are gonna be as it is but we can get a basic idea of the variants and it’s prices.

Gasoline/Petrol Powered Variants:-
MX 6MT - 5 Seater - 11.99L
MX 6MT - 7 Seater - 12.69L
AX-3 6MT - 5 Seater - 13.99L
AX-5 6MT - 5/7 Seater - 14.99L/15.69L
AX-5 6AT - 5/7 Seater - 16.29L/16.99L
AX-5 (O) 6AT - 5/7 Seater - 16.99L/17.69L
AX-7 6MT - 7 Seater - 17.19L
AX-7 (O) 6MT- 7 Seater - 17.89L
AX-7 6AT - 7 Seater - 18.49L
AX-7 (O) 6AT - 7 Seater - 19.19L
AX-7 6AT AWD - 7 Seater - 19.99L
AX-7 (O) 6AT AWD - 7 Seater - 20.69L

Diesel Powered Variants:-
The transmission and seating configuration distribution for the Diesels remains the same as Petrols.
So, in case of the MX Series, the Diesels would be priced at 50k extra over the petrol powered variants while, in the AX Series, the Diesels would be priced at 1L additional over the petrol powered variants.

Note: All the prices mentioned above are ex-showroom and not the on-road ones.

If this report is true then multiple segments would be on fire. I don't think that the lower/mid variants of the C-SUVs would be affected but upper pricier variants would definitely be affected and the Ultimate SUVs (Creta, Seltos), Hector, Compass and the Tata Twins (Harrier, Safari) would be forced to either give heavy discounts or would need to do a complete price revision of the variants. But this holds true only if Mahindra is able to confirm the bookings that they recieve and deliver the cars on time to the customers else, it will create just a minor dent in the sales figure of the competitors. The latter seems to be the case that is going to take place but fingers crossed. Hope M&M shocks us in this department as well

Happy Motoring
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 04:08   #389
BHPian

Will introducing DIY friendly modules for comfort/convenience help sell more upper segment vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
• Concerns over niggles & bugs in a freshly baked, complex Mahindra. We saw 2!
• Mahindra's after-sales service is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
Having experienced such issues first hand during the ownership of my Mahindra XUV500 since Oct 2011, I strongly feel that Mahindra and other manufacturers whose freshly launched cars are known to have niggles, and those have challenges in providing a wide network of high-quality after-sales-services, should provide some alternatives to their customers, i.e. Do It Yourself with a plug-n-play architecture, allowing OEMs / partners introduce compatible modules in market for additional convenience and comfort features.

Without compromising safety or quality aspects of a vehicle, I hope vehicle manufacturers like Mahindra launch future vehicles which enable customers to:

(a) upgrade their vehicles by buying certain easy to install (DIY friendly) modules or option packs from authorized channels or open market at any time after delivery, that will provide additional functionality and features AND

(b) perform certain repairs or replacement of defective parts or modules / options themselves, without relying on the poor quality after sales services.

With the entire powertrain and safety systems coming by default integrated with the vehicle body, car manufacturers should make some provisions including space/placeholders/mounting points, pre-installed cabling with standard connectors, fuse protection in vehicles for additional modules and switches that provide additional functionality for additional comfort, convenience, safety and vehicle management.

Step by step video guides/manuals for DIY enthusiasts could be provided, with option of paid installation or upgrade at customer door-steps through authorized technicians in addition to the legacy authorized workshop channels.

Following are some examples (non-comprehensive, rather my wish list) for DIY friendly modules:

1. Adding, upgrading or replacing in-dash and in-seat entertainment systems: pre-wiring including for controls, inputs and outputs (speakers/tweeters/subwoofers) etc.

2. Adding charging ports: Provisions in central console and rear panels/trims to add inverter, wireless chargers and multi-protocol fast charger modules for mobiles.

3. Rear-view, 360-degree parking view, front and rear parking-assist sensors

4. Dash camera / DVR and camera and laser based ADAS and safety systems Some dash cams actually come with ADAS features. I purchased a Yi dashcam from USA some 5 years back, which provides audio-visual warnings when I cross lanes, or if any obstruction appears in the front, or if the distance to vehicle in front is too short. Has many other useful features other than basic recording).

5. Upgrade seats, e.g. adding seat ventilation, vibration alerts, in-seat massager (in passenger seats), electrical adjustments, additional side air-bag etc.

6. HID/LED headlamps, sequential turning lamps, fog lamps, reversing assist IR lamps, cornering lamps, puddle lamps, vanity lamps. LED headlamps could also be with variable intensity and colour temperature based on driving environment and detection of risks.

7. Others: Tyre pressure monitoring system, motorized boot opening, active/passive in-cabin air purifiers, humidifier, horns, battery monitoring system, car tracker, finger-print/face-recognition enabled car seat positioning, heated external mirrors, powered auto-dimming IRVM etc.

Ofcourse, these add-on modules for vehicles may have certain limitations, as most of them are likely to be standalone. No tight integration for centralized management or controls as in case of factory-integrated features may be possible unless a standard communication protocol is followed and car maker offers the add-on modules to communicate over the system bus. However, cheap clones may flood the markets quickly and could pose risks when they access the secure bus.

Nevertheless, many such features with standalone modules will provide additional comfort, convenience, safety and help the vehicle keep up with times while reducing total cost of ownership for customers. And also helps differentiation with factory installed features that integrate with system bus in higher variants can be maintained.

DIY modules can be expected to enable:

1. Faster launch of vehicles, feature upgrades or facelifts depending upon technological developments, competitive landscape or changing regulatory environment. It can reduce cost of development with easy integration of electrically (and possibly chemical and mechanical) backward and cross-model compatibility of several parts, providing better economies of scale. It can also enable vehicle manufacturer better focus on the core domain than getting distracted into adjunct domains like entertainment, software integration, internet etc. Minimal niggles at launch will help improve perceived quality and reliability of vehicles, therefore greater customer satisfaction.

2. Customers will be able to buy 'maximum' within their budget and upgrade their vehicles or features over time as they get accustomed to vehicle, as need arises or as they afford more. Their 'investment in asset' have thus lower risks (less lost if the vehicle turns out to be lemon). This can drive selling more vehicles of upper segments with improved affordability (even save extra ‘road tax’ for features that don’t really use additional road space or load it) and still have upgradability with times (deferred costs). An upgradable vehicle is also likely to fetch significantly higher resale value for the customer.

3. Easy and faster installations, upgrades, replacements of features for both customers and vehicle manufacturers. It will eliminate pains with disassembly and re-fixing of dashboards/panels/floor/other systems, that leave repair marks (scratches / dirty hands and tools, sharp objects in garages/service stations) and destroying aesthetics. More importantly, this will also eliminate dangers of *creating newer additional issues* and risks of electrical or mechanical faults, including failure of safety devices.

4. Minimize risks and costs for the car manufacturer, as such DIY added modules need not be covered under extended warranty periods. Vehicle manufacturer can get more choices of module suppliers and face less integration efforts especially dealing with software bugs. Service stations still can provide additional support services at additional charges if purchased or installed/serviced by the authorized service stations.

5. Can enable customers to carry out some repairs themselves e.g. replacing broken or defective mirrors and lamps, cameras, entertainment systems, mobile chargers etc.

6. Help protect environment with reduced wastage and reselling/dumping of vehicles due to non-upgradability of comfort features in different climatic and social environment.

7. More productive use of service station space and skills.

8. Might also create lot of gift ideas. Family or friends may be able to gift 'upgrades' on special occasions.

9. Not everyone is DIY enthusiast and everyone has their own priorities. Over time, some people lose interest in DIY. Option of doorstep trained technician visits at additional nominal charge to customers can help in earn additional revenue for manufacturer and also generate more organized employment and also address the non-DIY market. The quality of output can be expected to be significantly higher than the works done traditionally by technicians available with accessory shops.

10. Improve customer’s satisfaction levels with vehicle and thus brand loyalty. Customers will be unlikely to switch to other brands if the purchased vehicle provides flexible upgrades, remains niggle free and remains usable longer.

Modular systems can help formalizing the presently unorganized accessory businesses selling poor quality imported goods, unbranded garages or service centers with inadequately trained technicians or mechanics. Those poor-quality gadgets not only increase risks of electrical faults, compromised safety, fire hazards, they can potentially damage reputation of car brands in cases of malfunction, distractions or accidents. DIY or modular capability can allow vehicle manufacturers to address significant part of accessories market, help their supplier partners to scale up (and reduce costs) and provide more revenue opportunities to authorized dealers. Insurance companies can also benefit by allowing upgrades and accessories to be recognized in a objective way and providing additional coverage.

I strongly believe that this modular approach will encourage innovation and that we can expect several innovative products to get introduced in the market, making driving and traveling more pleasurable, safer and more environment friendly. It will also be less costlier with reduced total cost of ownership of vehicle and increased usable life of vehicles.

At this time, I would like to bring some analogy with the personal computer market, which provides standard interfaces to attach different kinds of peripherals and several expansion ports made available on computers. A customer can buy a standard core CPU system, and choose whatever monitor, external speakers, keyboard/mouse, printer, and software packages as per need. In fact, an assembled PC option further allows customer to choose processor, compatible motherboard with greater scalability and flexibility with different ports/buses, choose memory and storage (Slow hard disk drives to intermediate SSD to higher speed multi-channel "NVME" storage etc).

The computer ecosystem has been very successful and still healthy four decades after the first personal computer was launched, as it provides for modular architecture, interoperability and easy upgradability. The computer may be much more sophisticated and delicate machine, however, it still allows even ordinary user to replace a defective monitor, external speaker, keyboard or mouse, expand storage, or add new software as needed without the need of any trained engineer.

There are several vehicle accessories which are standardized. However, vehicles do not provide truly plug-n-play capability. For example, a modern, feature rich car entertainment system can be fitted in a vehicle, if the vehicles provides standardized space (1DIN and 2DIN form factors, space for speakers, some may need some brackets or trim for 'seamless' aesthetics). Many lower variants of cars may be sold without pre-installed cabling and connectors, and thus true plug-n-play option doesnt exist. Untrained technicians at local accessory shops use crude methods to tap power cables, lay power, speaker, antenna and rear camera cables which can make installations risky or void warranty when any stock cables are cut. Vehilce manufacturer and law may consider such crude installations as 'unauthorized modification'.

Accessories like HID lamps, fog lamps, parking sensors/cameras, TPMS etc can also be added but needs wiring, some modifications and are not just plug-and-play or modular in that sense. Further, most such products available in the markets are of poor quality and can pose additional risks.

Some accessories like mobile chargers and inverters etc. are just add-on options, but don’t integrate well with the car aesthetics, and any crude attempts to hide them can block ventilation, posing risks of fire. Therefore better solutions are desirable in my view.

What are your views with such suggested modular systems for vehicles having combustion engines and electrical power train? In your opinion, will such modular DIY friendly feature upgrades and home-based technician services would be helpful in differentiating products due to easy upgradability and maintenance? Will they encourage innovation and improve quality of accessories available in the markets? Will they help customer satisfaction and brand loyalty?
Pulse500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 06:28   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
Mahindra XUV700 Speculative Pricing

Gasoline/Petrol Powered Variants:-

AX-7 6AT AWD - 7 Seater - 19.99L
AX-7 (O) 6AT AWD - 7 Seater - 20.69L
Prices may be correct but this variant is not on cards as of now. Mahindra may shock us again by launching this variant but as of now what's been told by them, AWD with Petrol is not on cards. Only diesel AT with AWD is being launched. Prices of other yet to be launched variants may be little more than what is documented here.

Quote:
But this holds true only if Mahindra is able to confirm the bookings that they recieve and deliver the cars on time to the customers else, it will create just a minor dent in the sales figure of the competitors. The latter seems to be the case that is going to take place but fingers crossed. Hope M&M shocks us in this department as well
Due to chip shortage (Mahindra in deep trouble due to severe chip shortage), Mahindra is going to face major issues. So the waiting time is going to be more than Thar. Anyone who has planned for taking delivery after a few months or more may not have issues but those who want a car immediately, they may look at other options.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks