Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:15   #406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some of us are very particular about engine braking. I use the paddle shifters a lot for this purpose, whether in the city or driving fast (even in an SUV). Taking your hands off the steering wheel to move the gear lever up / down is so inconvenient compared to paddle-shifters which make the entire exercise a pleasure. And ergonomically sweet.

I also use paddle shifters a lot in some situations where I prefer to select gears myself. Say, when encountering a tricky uphill & downhill road.

It's not about sportiness. It's about driving habits & preferences. IMHO, every premium AT car should have paddle shifters. End of the day, they are just buttons with a different style and thus, cost effective to deploy. No reason for any 20-lakh car to skip them.
The issue I have is modern turbo petrol engines have very little engine braking IMHO compared to a good old NA engine. I have a big issue with my Tjet which refuses to engine brake even in first going down a ghat section. Even on flat section the car won't shed enough speed if you drop gears, and that's just crazy! I was super excited to try the new Octavia with paddles, but that too doesn't retard speed enough when you drop gears. All that happens is that the engine revs rise but the car keeps going.

Must try a diesel with paddles and see if it's any better.
keroo1099 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:10   #407
BHPian

Does anyone know the boot space in the 5-seat version?
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:55   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Does anyone know the boot space in the 5-seat version?
If i remember correctly, there was a post earlier in this thread saying that it is close to 1100 liters.

Please check the thread.
Manojah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:12   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The issue I have is modern turbo petrol engines have very little engine braking IMHO compared to a good old NA engine. I have a big issue with my Tjet which refuses to engine brake even in first going down a ghat section. Even on flat section the car won't shed enough speed if you drop gears, and that's just crazy! I was super excited to try the new Octavia with paddles, but that too doesn't retard speed enough when you drop gears. All that happens is that the engine revs rise but the car keeps going.

mStallion`s Torque (1250 RPM onwards) figures suggest that it has VGT just like the mHawk, so engine braking with combined effort of Throttle (petrol ) and VGT should be pretty good.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:21   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
mStallion`s Torque (1250 RPM onwards) figures suggest that it has VGT just like the mHawk, so engine braking with combined effort of Throttle (petrol ) and VGT should be pretty good.
I hope so. The Kushaq 1.5 M has 250Nm @ 1500, and that too has lousy engine engine braking.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:42   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope so. The Kushaq 1.5 M has 250Nm @ 1500, and that too has lousy engine engine braking.
Do a quick google search with VW \ Skoda TSi engine braking and you`ll see numerous articles about it, including those from Indian automotive sites. It is a fuel saving feature in TSi engines. As per someone in Briskoda, it provides good engine braking once the RPM crosses a certain number, perhaps its programmed that way to reduce friction during normal coasting and provide increased resistance when more engine braking is demanded.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:53   #412
BHPian

Just got some updates about the smart door handles in XUV 700... there are 3 types of door handles:

1. MX Variant: Smart Door Handle will be activated by pressing the Unlock button in the key. Then the door handle needs to be pushed, which pops out the handle and then the door can be opened.

2. AX Variant: Request sensor is available. When one comes near the car (with the key), the smart door handle will unlock automatically. Then the door handle needs to be pushed, which pops out the handle and then the door can be opened.

3. AX (O) Variant: Comes with Electrically-deployed Smart Door handles. When one comes near the car (with the key), the smart door handle will unlock automatically and pop out as well. We need to use the popped door handle to open the car door.

Apologies if this information is already shared in the forum. I came to know about the smart door mechanism only today. Optional pack is expected to be available in AX5 variant onwards.
MukundanMK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:01   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The information is from Mr. Velusamy himself, this car is designed and made with certain attributes of european cars in mind including performance and dynamics
Quote:
For those who many not be able to follow Tamil, made some notes for reading
This is by far one of the most informative videos by the Dev. Head of any product launched. Thank You, @Kosfactor for the rather detailed decoding of the videos. With my limited proficiency in Tamil, here are a few additions that I again picked up after watching the videos more than half a dozen times. Many points are already there in @Kosfactor's post. Sharing for the benefit of readers, nevertheless.

XUV700

1. All new platform
2. Performance with stability
3. Refinement and safety even at 200kmph
4. 6GB computing chip
5. Hi resolution display - "loca" bonding
6. Petrol engine injector pressure 350bar
7. Very good gear shifts
8. Three synchros in gears 1 and 2
9. Frequency Selective damping (FSD) system to ensure best ride and handling
10. Sills at A-B and B-C pillars made of boron or hot formed steel; a frontal collision at 64kmph would generate approx 18000kgf, which would be absorbed and distributed in a trident structure - bottom of the door, middle of the door and top frame, and thus occupants would be safe
12. New platform is a combo of
a) trident structure on the sides
b)ring structure to connect the left and right sides, floor and roof at every pillar
c) ladder in ladder out structure on the floor
12. 120 simulations were performed before designing the structure and platform
13. Safety = Dynamic driving safety + structural safety + airbags as the last line of protection

Last edited by vigsom : 23rd August 2021 at 20:06.
vigsom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:17   #414
BHPian

Most awaited review but had to go through a bunch of videos by most of the auto magazines before landing on this.

Interestingly enough - I too wondered how the Turbo Petrol will deliver when it comes to fuel efficiency. Good that you pointed out on the peppy petrol engine.

I feel the 185 BHP Diesel AT would be the one most of the upgrade folks would eye for.

So what happens to the XUV5OO name?

Where will Scorpio sit?
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:47   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
2. AX Variant: Request sensor is available. When one comes near the car (with the key), the smart door handle will unlock automatically. Then the door handle needs to be pushed, which pops out the handle and then the door can be opened.

3. AX (O) Variant: Comes with Electrically-deployed Smart Door handles. When one comes near the car (with the key), the smart door handle will unlock automatically and pop out as well. We need to use the popped door handle to open the car door.
So in both cases, say all doors open and passengers get down. The doors are closed. Does the driver need to just press the request sensor on any one door(TBhp review states request sensor on all doors), and all doors are locked, or does one need to separately press the lock button on key to lock all the doors. I believe, it's the former, but just confirming it.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:47   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Passed an XUV700 in indigo type colour tonight near Chengalpet. Obviously M&M doing final road tests. From a distance I thought it was a newly launched Volvo or Audi that I had not seen yet. The design, shape and lighting from the rear is European crisp! Looks like a car multiple times it's price.

The car has a hunkered down stance and the driver was definitely sitting much lower than I was on my Thar. The front (the part I just can't digest) was not visible except for the headlamps with their odd Walrus tusk-shaped arches coming down. How I wish M&M had left this part out and gone for more reasonable design that would be more elegant and age well.

Overall the vehicle looked very aerodynamic and well engineered. I noticed as it went over some undulations that shook me in my Thar quite a bit, the rear axle seemed well planted without too much body movement.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 23rd August 2021 at 23:07.
84.monsoon is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 22:57   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Overall the vehicle looked very aerodynamic and well engineered. I noticed as it went over some undulations that shook me in my Thar quite a bit, the rear axle seemed well planted without too much body movement.
The Koni FSD dampers and multi link suspension at play there I guess. In the past, few manufacturers had conveniently/discreetly deleted the independent suspension even in their premium sedans, Skoda Octavia for example(guess only for TDI). Glad to see Mahindra going out with all guns blazing!

Quote:
The issue I have is modern turbo petrol engines have very little engine braking IMHO compared to a good old NA engine. I was super excited to try the new Octavia with paddles, but that too doesn't retard speed enough when you drop gears. All that happens is that the engine revs rise but the car keeps going.
I too use engine braking extensively on highways. While TD ing the Kushaq 1.5 DSG and Octavia yesterday, I did shift down from speeds and it was immediately noticeable that the engine braking was nowhere close to what you get in diesel. I'm comparing it with my TDI Laura MT. The car just revvs up with hardly any engine braking. It will rob you off the confidence while doing triple digit speeds. I like downshifts with the stick(tiptronic)even in AT s with paddles though they are convenient plus the advantage of having both hands on the wheel. With Octavia, one can downshift with only paddles.

Quote:
I've driven the latest Passat TDI a lot too which has paddles. Engine braking is slightly better than what you find with Octavia TSI but again nowhere close to TDI MT.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd August 2021 at 23:26.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 07:54   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Was just going through the Boelero Neo review thread, which I had missed earlier, and realised that car starts at ₹8.48 lakhs despite being a sub 4 m car. So the pre GST price is ₹ 6.47 l. Compare that to the pre GST price of the entry level diesel XUV700 (ex show room ₹12.49 l) which is ₹ 8.33 l. Tells you more about how aggressively Mahindra has priced this car. A modern 4.7 m long monocoque with a 2 l 150 HP diesel is priced such that the manufacturer realises only 29% more than what it makes on a sub 4 m vehicle built on a 15 year old BoF platform with a 1.5 l 3 cylinder 100 HP engine. BTW Mahindra makes ₹8.16 l on the top end Bolero Neo - just 4% less than what it makes on the diesel XUV700 and more than what it makes on the 2 l 200 HP petrol XUV700. Just incredible.
Hayek is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 08:20   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted by my brother just a few minutes back in Pimpri-Chinchwad area near Prime Mall in Pune. No speculations from my side or from him. The colour is new though, somewhat golden types.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20210824wa0003.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20210824wa0002.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20210824wa0001.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20210824wa0000.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 24th August 2021 at 08:24.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 08:25   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Spotted by my brother just a few minutes back in Pimpri-Chinchwad area near Prime Mall in Pune. No speculations from my side or from him.
Wonder what would these last minute testing be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks