Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 08:14   #481
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

The XUV 700 is an important product for Mahindra after the Thar.While reading reviews and understanding that Mahindra has gone overboard with features and goodies,what’s baffling to see is that the safety aspect has been ignored.I think such a product should have been certified with the NCAP safety rating at launch.

Many manufacturers do cost cutting measures in other areas to price their cars competitively but I feel it shouldn’t be at the cost of safety. Plastic boot ??!!.seriously?? come on.

While we criticise the Chinese for their infamous rip offs on landrovers and others, the interiors of the XUV is a straight lift off from a MERC !! Not that iam complaining, but after having dumped a massive amount of money in their R&D and design,Mahindra could have done a lot better.

Engines and gearbox combos have been nailed by Mahindra and if the reviews are to be believed,it’s a big plus.
Expecting a real life review in this forum to completely dissect and explore the real XUV 700.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th August 2021 at 11:07.
pradheepsr is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2021, 08:28   #482
BHPian

Is there any news or update on further price release by Mahindra? Curious to see how they have stacked features and prices across variants.

I am interested in AX5 AT and the heart says to book it as soon as the booking opens, but mind dictates it might be practical to wait and see if there are any niggles and let Mahindra iron out those.

Another conundrum is by pushing the date to 2022, there would hopefully be another choice in form of upgraded Tuscon. (understand that there's no price comparisons but that new design looks sweet!)
SinghShu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:26   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
what’s baffling to see is that the safety aspect has been ignored.I think such a product should have been certified with the NCAP safety rating at launch.
Many manufacturers do cost cutting measures in other areas to price their cars competitively but I feel it shouldn’t be at the cost of safety.
Please don't jump the gun. Latest update is that XUV 700 had already undergone internal crash tests and due for GNCAP test too. I doubt a car maker can wait for GNCAP to test the car and publish results before launch. There's a realistic expectation that XUV 700 would score at least 4 stars, if not 5. Don't be surprised if it comes out with flying colours with 5 stars.

Mahindra as a group had stated in the recent past that they won't make any cars that score less than 4 in crash tests. Lastly, this car could well be the one of the safest on four wheels this side of 20 lakhs. Also note their XUV 300 is already 5 star rated in GNCAP. So I don't understand why you say safety aspect has been ignored.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th August 2021 at 09:38.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:30   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Many manufacturers do cost cutting measures in other areas to price their cars competitively but I feel it shouldn’t be at the cost of safety.
Plastic boot ??!!.seriously??..come on..
Here's what David Lipohar has to say on this topic

"Plastic is a very broad category referring to a variety of resins, engineered to exhibit desired properties with attributes satisfying nearly any specs required. This includes all composite materials using resins.

The main sub categories are thermoplastics and thermoset plastics. Thermosets are typically composites, including fiber reinforced plastics. Thermoplastics are what most people envision when they use the term plastic, including polyethylene, polypropylene, acetal, nylon, PVC, ABS, etc.

If you look at a Formula 1 car - it's body and structure are 100% composite.

The Corvette has been built from composites since day one. Whilst the materials used today may differ from those used 50 years ago, they are still categorized as plastics.

All manufacturers use plastics extensively in the construction of their cars, some more than others. Supercars and hypercars generally have a higher percentage of plastics in their construction than general performance or family cars.

If you notice, the common theme here is that where performance demands are prioritized over cost, plastics get used, both for panels and structure. Because plastics are expensive. Where cost concerns are high, traditional materials such as metal are used instead, with plastics being reserved for trim, bumper covers, interiors, etc.

So, the overall reason you don't see typical car bodies made from plastic is the cost. A person buying a Koenigsegg or a McLaren isn't concerned with cost. They expect to buy performance. So composites are used to give them that. At the stratospheric prices charged. A Toyota Camry built of plastic and conforming to spec would end up costing around the same price as a Ferrari - hardly an affordable option for the average young family needing reliable inexpensive transportation.

Whatever attributes and specs you want can be engineered into a plastic material. At a cost. You want a plastic that's structurally rigid, remains ductile in double digit sub zero temperatures and can outperform metals? Sure. How much are you willing to pay for it?

Many structural composites exhibit superior compression and tensile strength at a fraction of the weight of comparable alloys. A typical tradeoff is poor shear strength and abrasion resistance - which is why carbon fiber components are typically used in combination with aramid reinforcements in critical areas, mitigating weaknesses at increased production costs.

And if you're wondering why plastics cost so much comparatively, it's due to the cost of the engineering involved in the development, testing and production as well as the cost of raw materials and processes required. A good example is glass vs polycarbonate. At identical size and thickness, glass is less expensive due to lower raw material and production cost. Even for specialty glass products such as tempered safety glass.

So, to conclude, car bodies can be and are made of plastics. Just not common, average, mass produced, inexpensive cars."

Hope this helps!
ruskinash is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:37   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I am interested in the AX5 (AT) Petrol model as that seems to be the right balance to have. Would maybe opt for a few additional features like the Sony music setup. Really hoping atleast the AX5 (AT) gets the Cruise Control. Would be a real travesty otherwise. Waiting for an official announcement on the official pricing though. Heart says AX7, mind says AX5. Final decision will depend on the price alone.
AX5 Petrol AT (O) is definitely a variant that is going to be available in 5/7 seater. AX5 is definitely going to be the most popular model. I am not sure if you can pick Sony music system alone as an accessory. It would be available as part of the Options pack and if the Options pack is priced at 0.75 to 1 lac, then it would be a good value addition (Sony system, blind view monitor, wireless charger, electronic smart door, 360 camera and electronic parking brake). But seeing the specs, we can expect a premium of 1.25 to 1.5 lacs as well for the Options pack.

I too wanted to go for AX5 Petrol AT (O) variant as it is well packaged. But my source is insisting me to go for AX7 variant. The light seats can be covered with airbags compatible seat covers, which is sold in M&M as an accessory as well. So I have decided to listen to my mind and go for AX7 Petrol AT (O). Will add AWD if it is available in Petrol, which doesn't seem to happen for now. If Ventilated seats are offered as an accessory, I will be missing that out

Quote:
I think such a product should have been certified with the NCAP safety rating at launch.
Plastic boot ??!!.seriously??..come on..
NCAP is optional for auto manufacturers and looking at the reviews (especially the ones posted by Motor Vikatan), XUV 700 should score high in the crash ratings. If I am correct, the current XUV 500 top model was crash tested and got 4 star ratings. Can definitely expect minimum 4 star for XUV 700 as well.

Regarding the plastic tailgate, I think most of the senior forum members have already posted their comments in this thread. Tailgate is not directly impacted during crash and the crash energy spreads around the back door and will have minimal impact on the tailgate. Also it is a good strategy to reduce weight wherever possible and keep the car a bit lighter in weight. I am convinced personally on this aspect and would like to thank fellow forum members for instilling confidence on this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Please don't jump the gun. Latest update is that XUV 700 has undergone internal crash tests and due for GNCAP test too. I doubt a car maker can wait for GNCAP to test the car and publish results before launch. There's a realistic expectation that XUV 700 would score at least 4 stars, if not 5. Don't be surprised if it comes out with flying colours with 5 stars.

Mahindra as a group had stated in the recent past that they won't make any cars that score less than 4 in crash tests. Lastly, this car could well be the one of the safest on four wheels this side of 20 lakhs. Also note their XUV 300 is already 5 star rated in GNCAP. So I don't understand why you say safety aspect has been ignored.
Bang on!!! Happy to see Indian majors like Tata and M&M stressing on safety aspect and bringing 4/5 star rated cars. General awareness among car enthusiasts is increasing (thanks to portals/forums like TeamBHP). Also manufacturers would have learnt a lesson seeing the drop in Seltos sale, after it came out with 3 star rating. In the future we definitely would see that a Crash Rating score of minimum 3 or 4 is mandatory before car launch. But it will take a long time for that to happen in India and by that time the auto world would have moved extensively towards EV. IMO, crash rating of 4, ABS, ESP, EBD, 6 airbags and rear wiper should be part of all cars from base variant. But the reality is that few manufacturers like Maruti Suzuki do not even have a single car, which ticks on all these boxes. But hopefully the future is bright!

Last edited by MukundanMK : 27th August 2021 at 09:45.
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:43   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
If I am correct, the current XUV 500 top model was crash tested and got 4 star ratings. Can definitely expect minimum 4 star for XUV 700 as well.
The current XUV500 was never tested by GNCAP. You can check this page if you have doubts on which cars were tested under the #SaferCarsForIndia program.
JithinR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:51   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
The current XUV500 was never tested by GNCAP. You can check this page if you have doubts on which cars were tested under the #SaferCarsForIndia program.
You are right JithinR... my bad that I had referred to the crash testing done for XUV 500 in Australia and it got a 4 star rating there. Below is the link which has the crash test video and detailed report as well. Thanks for correcting this

https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati.../xuv500/46c340
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:10   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Please don't jump the gun. Latest update is that XUV 700 had already undergone internal crash tests and due for GNCAP test too. I doubt a car maker can wait for GNCAP to test the car and publish results before launch. There's a realistic expectation that XUV 700 would score at least 4 stars, if not 5. Don't be surprised if it comes out with flying colours with 5 stars.

Thanks for the information..I really want Indian manufacturers making stronger cars for India.Many Korean/Japanese manufacturers still continue making cars that aren’t even crash test worthy
My query is why isn’t the crash test result available at launch for any vehicle here.
Are there any regulations for this ??
If so kindly enlighten
Kindly enlighten.
Old 27th August 2021, 10:12   #489
BHPian

Just noticed a new option on the XUV700 webpage, "Xplore 360°", basically a 360° view for the car inside out.
We already knew that it has ambient lighting around the roof control panel if we can call it that. But what is new is that it shows ambient lighting in the cup holder section as well.
Is it actually ambient lighting or wishful thinking on my part?

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20210827-1.59.59-am.png

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot-20210827-1.57.19-am.png
UltraViolence is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:55   #490
Senior - BHPian

Have people who registered on the website for the XUV700 started getting calls from dealers? I've registered twice, but no revert as yet. Want the base diesel version, but there's just no info available. Can't book online either. Any idea when M&M is going to start official bookings? Thanks in advance.
Old 27th August 2021, 11:58   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Global partners of the Mahindra XUV7OO.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-global.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:00   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Global partners of the Mahindra XUV7OO.

This was a full page ad on the TOI yesterday. Appreciate Mahindra advertising about their suppliers and vendors. While they say "global" partners, they're trying to showcase their "Make in India" commitment.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:17   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Meanwhile, testing rounds of the 7OO continue.
I just saw a video in a Ladakh FB group where a test mule was spotted near Khardung La. This was yesterday or day before yesterday.

Last edited by AnandB : 27th August 2021 at 12:23.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:21   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Have people who registered on the website for the XUV700 started getting calls from dealers? I've registered twice, but no revert as yet. Want the base diesel version, but there's just no info available. Can't book online either. Any idea when M&M is going to start official bookings? Thanks in advance.
I did register my interest, but never got a call. I have received a WhatsApp message saying thank you etc.
NotanF1driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:43   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraViolence View Post
Is it actually ambient lighting or wishful thinking on my part?

Attachment 2198598
Good catch, it does look like the cup holders will be illuminated.

Additionally will the area under door handles also? Is that golden ish hue a light output from door handles, or is it some textured look?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-lights2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-lights-1.jpg  

07CR is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed