Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2021, 17:39   #511
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
There has to be a chassis fixture to which the high-anchor-point of a seatbelt has to attach to. If it's a sedan, there would be a cross-member at the base of the C pillar (right behind the rear passenger's heads) on top of which the rear parcel tray sits. This structure can be used as the high-anchor for the middle 3-point seat belt. However, if it's a hatchback/estate/SUV, such a structure is absent. So where will the seatbelt come from ? the roof ?
In the absence of any rear structure there are couple of options available to fix the top mounting of the seatbelt for middle seat.
one of the most common is to fix it on the seat back itself, but yes it makes things complicated and expensive.
there are some seats mostly in buses where all the 3 mountings are on the seat itself, as in the below image.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-3pointsb.png  

Gaur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 18:13   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
These seem to be test (or demo) vehicles already manufactured on a smaller scale. The production vehicles may have different combination of features or specs, and Mahindra did not release the comprehensive list of features per variant yet. I really hope Mahindra provides regular cruise control in AX3 onwards, definitely so with AX5, in manual as well as AT variants. And AX7 AT or higher variants can have adaptive cruise controls.
Going by the official video sneak peak released by Mahindra for AX3, it will definitely not get a cruise control. I do hope they provide it on AX5 atleast, if it's adaptive it's a cherry on the cake!
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 18:19   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
The vehicle looks similar to XUV5OO. Slightly longer and shorter.
Wait, what? It's longer or shorter?
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 18:28   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It is "shorter" in height. Hope that clarifies
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 18:28   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I believe he means longer in length and shorter in height
anandhsub is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 19:17   #516

Finally got added !
First post !
Really excited !
About the vehicle as well !
My thoughts -
1. Seems they have erred somewhere on the pricing between AX3 and AX5. AX5 seems most VFM apart from MX.

2. Also I don't get who uses cruise control ? Really I have been completely unable to use it on my 4th Gen City on long drives. It's just irritating when you have to brake time and again and then again press 'resume' everytime. I have done Mumbai Pune via expressway lots of times. I cannot use it more than 5-10. So not really a necessary feature as per me. Majority of the cars 99% of the life must be spent without cruise control. Although ADAS really changes the game. Would however prefer that feature probably 5 years down the line when it would be completely modified and made suitable for Indian roads and conditions.

3. Really the top speed does not cross 200 kmph? Is it cause of not getting enough road ? My 118 bhp City does 180 kmph. I have heard a friend saying his Fortuner does 220 kmph. This really has much more power and much better power to weight ratio. Again no comparison between BMW, but on previous pages someone said X1 does 240 kmph with lesser power figures. What's the catch ? Has it got something to do with power on crank or power on wheels ? And if so why does ARAI not change the power figures requirement ? Pardon my writing but I just want to know how much of that power is sent to wheels and what actually matters.

4. Someone was talking about CNG conversion earlier. Would really love if someone can explain whether it would be ok to go ahead with it and how would it affect the performance of this particular engine.

5. I am really torn actually. I have high usage. Heart really says XUV700 cause of looks, features, power, 7 seater. But then will sell the old City. However if I opt for Tigor EV which hopefully will have better range then Nexon EV thus converting into even cheaper running cost then Nexon EV alongwith the current subsidy of around 2 lacs and lower prices for Tigor, then probably won't need to sell the old City. However will have to live with absolutely bland looking interior, exterior, no features etc of this flop car. Heart says XUV7OO but mind says Tigor EV.

6. Also just curious, say if booking starts on 15th September. So like online booking will start on 12.01 AM ? And as someone said earlier all the online bookings will be sent to the dealer a day later. So what's really the point and use of this If I will be further back on the waitlist then I actually should be ?

Last edited by Sheel : 29th August 2021 at 08:38. Reason: Please space out your paragraphs for better readability. Thanks.
Old 28th August 2021, 20:22   #517
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
In the absence of any rear structure there are couple of options available to fix the top mounting of the seatbelt for middle seat.
one of the most common is to fix it on the seat back itself, but yes it makes things complicated and expensive.
there are some seats mostly in buses where all the 3 mountings are on the seat itself, as in the below image.
That is indeed a compromise of sorts isn't it ? Fixing on the seat back , a thing that will "fold/move" with an inertia separate from the car's body shell ? Don't convertibles have the seatbelt anchor right on the rear bulkhead instead of the seatback itself (much easier to do) ? So even in this case, the 3 point seatbelt is not a real 3 point seatbelt.
Old 28th August 2021, 20:41   #518
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Look what turned up in my apartment complex today !!. One of the tenants works for M&M and he is offering test drives to the residents !!

The vehicle looks similar to XUV5OO. Slightly longer and shorter. 3rd-row seats are very cramped.
It seems (especially from the last picture) that all the extra length (relative to the XUV 5OO) has gone into the last 1/3rd portion of the car (i.e, the area beyond the C-pillars.). If that is correct, then it would be very surprising if the 3rd row of the 7OO is more cramped than even the 5OO (which itself offers less 3rd row space than vehicles a size smaller like the Ertiga/XL6). Where did all the extra length go?
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 21:15   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
That is indeed a compromise of sorts isn't it ? Fixing on the seat back , a thing that will "fold/move" with an inertia separate from the car's body shell ? Don't convertibles have the seatbelt anchor right on the rear bulkhead instead of the seatback itself (much easier to do) ? So even in this case, the 3 point seatbelt is not a real 3 point seatbelt.
Nothing to worry, it's all as per regulations.

Seating system in vehicle's need to meet very stringent requirements.
Old 28th August 2021, 22:12   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripplingLeo View Post
5. I am really torn actually. I have high usage. Heart really says XUV700 cause of looks, features, power, 7 seater. But then will sell the old City. However if I opt for Tigor EV which hopefully will have better range then Nexon EV thus converting into even cheaper running cost then Nexon EV alongwith the current subsidy of around 2 lacs and lower prices for Tigor, then probably won't need to sell the old City. However will have to live with absolutely bland looking interior, exterior, no features etc of this flop car. Heart says XUV7OO but mind says Tigor EV.
Despite the huge subsidies for the EVs and the outrageous taxes on fossil fuels, I still feel the fossil fuels, particularly the diesel ones are more economical to run. These are the reasons:

1) The battery pack of the Nexon costs about Rs 6-7 lacs and will need to be replaced at the end of 7 years (the battery pack loses its range by about 15 kms per year ; from the 200 km range to start with at the time of purchase). Hence effectively the EV user pays Rs 1 lac per year for the running cost of the vehicle at the time of purchase itself, loses ROI on the money/pays interest if purchased on bank loan. So pls add about Rs 8500 to Rs 10,000 per month to your monthly running costs to calculate the actual running cost.

2) After spending so much on the battery pack, say in its third year, if the battery gets damaged in floods/accidents and needs a replacement, I am not sure how much the insurance companies will bear. The car owner has to be prepared for this.

3) If the car owner decides to sell his EV at the end of 5 years, nobody will buy the vehicle as they will need to replace the battery in a year or two. Without the battery, the Rs 15 lac Nexon EV is just worth Rs 8 lacs at the time of purchase and will just sell for less than Rs 4 lacs after 5-6 years as the new owner will need to spend on a new battery pack costing about 7-8 lacs upon purchasing the car.

4) Despite paying 7 years fuel cost upfront, we will still have to live with the limited range and long recharge times

5) The EV may need to be recharged at recharging stations very often. There the electricity will be billed at commercial rates+ establishment costs+ profits+ GST. Hence recharging an electrical vehicle at a recharging station may not cost less than Rs 3-4 per km.

Disclaimer: I am a novice when it comes to EVs as I haven't owned or driven one till date. My understanding of this subject is only through online resources and speaking to sales executives at Tata showrooms. Apologies in advance if these assumptions are grossly off the mark

Last edited by Sheel : 29th August 2021 at 08:37. Reason: Capitalization / punctuation. Please proof read before submitting your post. Thank You!
Geta is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 22:53   #521
BHPian

Q: Kitna deti hai?

A: "The mileage was disappointing. But we were told that it's a pre-production unit and the final car's mileage would be better."

From 3.50 onwards:

Old 28th August 2021, 23:39   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
It seems (especially from the last picture) that all the extra length (relative to the XUV 5OO) has gone into the last 1/3rd portion of the car (i.e, the area beyond the C-pillars.). If that is correct, then it would be very surprising if the 3rd row of the 7OO is more cramped than even the 5OO (which itself offers less 3rd row space than vehicles a size smaller like the Ertiga/XL6). Where did all the extra length go?
XUV500 had somewhat van-like driving position where you sit more upright (must be the same case with the 2nd row too). When the height of the car is reduced, seats are made lower which increases the distance between 2 seats (as the siting posture changes. This is what may have happened with XUV700.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 07:00   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
3) If the car owner decides to sell his EV at the end of 5 years, nobody will buy the vehicle as they will need to replace the battery in a year or two.
This argument has been dismissed factually quite a few times. Liquid cooled batteries will most probably outlast the car’s life. There are Teslas abroad with more than 350k km still running original pack. The Nexon also gets 160k km/8 year warranty on the battery pack so I don’t believe there’s anything one should be worried of.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th August 2021 at 08:37. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
ADI7YAK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 07:38   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
This argument has been dismissed factually quite a few times. Liquid cooled batteries will most probably outlast the car’s life. There are Teslas abroad with more than 350k km still running original pack. The Nexon also gets 160k km/8 year warranty on the battery pack so I don’t believe there’s anything one should be worried of.
May be true, mate. But let us not equate Teslas with Nexon EVs yet.

Does 160K km/8 year warranty talk about the range? I am not sure. I was told by the Nexon EV sales executive that the vehicle's battery pack will lose about 10% of its driving range every year. Hence essentially in its 8th year, the driving range will come down to anywhere between 50-100 kms after an overnight charging. Tata will claim that the battery pack is working normally but will we be ok with that driving range? I am not sure.

There will be a specific set of buyers for whom a Nexon EV will be the best choice. But for an average car buyer/Indian family man it may not be a sensible choice yet even with all the subsidies, and they shouldn't get fooled by this 'low running cost' marketing gimmick as the real running costs are actually much higher.

There are several situations where an electrical vehicle will be a handicap, say an overnight stay (planned or unplanned) at a resort/hospital/ friend's place where you lack the charging options, or a power outage for 48 hours in your apartment due to heavy rains and you have power back up only for smaller household electrical equipments, medical emergency at night when the vehicle is not adequately charged etc. So it is better to think several times before buying an EV yet.

Cheers!

Last edited by Geta : 29th August 2021 at 08:05.
Geta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 08:08   #525
BHPian

Found a nice detailed review about real-time ADAS workability. It looks like a fantastic addition, albeit still in late beta stage of testing. My apologies if this video has already been shared in the forum.

MukundanMK is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks