Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 12:49   #616
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Came across this. Has it started arriving at the dealerships as display cars?
AnnaRocks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 13:51   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
BHPians, Was wondering on how XUV700 or MG cars equipped with ADAS features be crash tested in comparison with cars which don't have such collision avoidance systems? A car that could auto brake once it sees the crash test block is already giving the car manufacturer an advantage over cars which don't come with them.
Presently, the only driver assistance system that is assessed by Global NCAP is the driver and front passenger seatbelt reminder (Assessed in accordance with EuroNCAP v5.6 requirements) which carries 1.00 point (not star) in the adult occupant score. It is also a requirement for 5-stars that the seatbelt reminder score should be not less than the maximum 1.00. 4-channel ABS does not add to the score but is a requirement for the 5th star. Global NCAP's SaferCarsForIndia program does not currently assess any other driver assistance systems. If I had to hazard a guess, the press release will praise the manufacturer for making these systems available but they will not be included in the test report.

Coming to the deformable barrier, the car is driven into it by a propulsion mechanism and not using power from the car. You do not have to worry about the car braking before impact. These tests are not just carried out by 'crashing a car into a block', the test lab (for us it's typically the ADAC) has to follow an incredibly detailed test protocol for setting up the vehicle before the test. It is mandatory that the speed is stabilised at 64±1 km/h before impact. If it is found that the test has failed to meet protocol then Global NCAP requires that the test be conducted again at the full expense of the test laboratory.
More information about the test protocol can be found here. I cannot find the 2013 LatinNCAP test protocol anywhere (which is what SaferCarsForIndia uses) but I would think that the test protocol has remained identical and only the assessment has changed.

The assessment protocol (that is, for calculating the points and rating from the data submitted by the test lab to Global NCAP) can be found here for adult occupants and here for child occupant protection. As you can see it does not include AEB/LSS.

Anyway, a variant with basic safety specification will have to be tested (even if a variant with higher specification is sponsored by Mahindra) so you do not have to worry.
ron178 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 17:29   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post

Came across this. Has it started arriving at the dealerships as display cars?
I don't think these cars will stay at the showrooms as permanent display cars. These are a part of their extension to something called "Freedom Drive".

A total of 80 cars will be going to all parts of the country to maintain the hype before its actual booking is announced and to give a chance to the prospective customers to have an up-close look at the car.

Name:  Screenshot 20210905 at 5.11.30 PM.png
Views: 783
Size:  331.7 KB

In one of the responses to the above tweet they have hinted that people won't be able to take test drives in these "Freedom Drive" cars. They will open test drives at a later stage.
UltraViolence is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 20:31   #619
BHPian

There was an XUV 700 rally in Chennai today (Velachery)… video taken by my cousin who lives in this area. Seems he checked with one of the person in the rally and as per him the vehicle should very soon reach showrooms for display. However he didn’t have any idea on booking start date.

Last edited by MukundanMK : 5th September 2021 at 20:33.
MukundanMK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 23:39   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
The last car in the video seems to be a shade of black/dark grey. Perhaps a couple of additional color options to be unveiled before bookings start?

Screenshots of the same:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20210905233636.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20210905233632.jpg
Old 6th September 2021, 00:14   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
There was an XUV 700 rally in Chennai today (Velachery)… video taken by my cousin who lives in this area. Seems he checked with one of the person in the rally and as per him the vehicle should very soon reach showrooms for display. However he didn’t have any idea on booking start date.

https://Youtu.be/BhZn3FBfpIg
This is the velachery flyover i guess. There is a Mahindra Showroom close by right? (Zulaikha Motors). May be these were dealer stocks?
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:28   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
This is the velachery flyover i guess. There is a Mahindra Showroom close by right? (Zulaikha Motors). May be these were dealer stocks?
These cars are part of Freedom Drive which Mahindra is organising for brand endorsement. Not dealer cars. Please see the pic in post #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapKoura View Post
The last car in the video seems to be a shade of black/dark grey. Perhaps a couple of additional color options to be unveiled before bookings start?
It's not black. The same dark blue color which was shown in initial media reviews. But Mahindra has confirmed black will be part of XUV7OO's color palette.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:30   #623
BHPian

A nice short video on the XUV 7OO structure and other details:

vinair is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 12:56   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
A nice short video on the XUV 7OO structure and other details:
Really nice and he neatly rests the speculation on the sturdiness of the plastic tail gate.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:10   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Really nice and he neatly rests the speculation on the sturdiness of the plastic tail gate.
One of the things I like to use my new SUV is to carry my bicycles, via a cycle carrier mounted to the tailgate..I do this now on my Linea TJet. THe weight of the entire load (Carrier and the cycles) usually in on the metal sheet of the tail gate. Will I be able to do the same using XUV with a plastic tailgate?

I see many vehicles with such carriers in Bangalore all the time. We recently did a monsoon bike ride near Ujire/Dharmasthala and my friend's XUV500 was used in a similar fashion, carrying 2-3 MTB bikes without any issues.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:43   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
One of the things I like to use my new SUV is to carry my bicycles, via a cycle carrier mounted to the tailgate...

I see many vehicles with such carriers in Bangalore all the time...
This is technically not allowed. I have heard of instances of crackdown on this method of transporting bicycles. I am not sure about the legalities but it appears cops are cracking down on these carriers, roof racks and roof top storage boxes.
Old 6th September 2021, 14:28   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
.. Will I be able to do the same using XUV with a plastic tailgate?
If you observe the tailgate section video posted in the post above, you will note that it has a glass composite structure behind the plastic and it’s stronger at taking pressure. How you say? Aircraft Hull structure is made of aluminium and glass fibre as well and it excels at maintaining Hull pressure at 40K altitude.

Now glass is easily breakable and if you try to bend an aluminium sheet with hand vs a steel sheet, perception would be that steel doesn’t bend as easily. But on composite manufacturing with something as breakable as glass, it reinforces to a very high level.

Another example is carbon fibre which is used in super cars due to its strong structure and lightness. It’s nothing but carbon with plastics as the base composition. Also, the element carbon as the material diamond can cut through the toughest material. But a pencil with a carbon based nib, graphite, can break while writing.

There are many more examples from the chemistry class on bonding and atomic structure formation but I hope i’m able to explain the basics of composite material structure of individually weak elements versus a strong individual element.

Now as for the pressure point distribution, the carriage should be designed to have the load distribution on the supporting structure instead of the fancy plastic external moulding.

It’s a new design with protrusions instead of a flat door. So, I would be careful on the design I choose for the carrier.
KapilD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:35   #628

A Price list and model list info is shared on Instagram by page xuv_700_2021_official.
Can't really say if it is official or tentative.
Unable to attach screenshots of the same.
Navind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:12   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navind View Post
A Price list and model list info is shared on Instagram by page xuv_700_2021_official.
Can't seem to find it on this page. Guess it's deleted. Do you happen to remember the price for AX7 Petrol AT ?

Many thanks and God bless
Old 6th September 2021, 15:21   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navind View Post
Are you facing any difficulty while uploading? If so you can reach out to our friendly Mods to help you. Meanwhile you can also type in atleast a glimpse of details you have found in that page. Fellow bhpians can go over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Can't seem to find it on this page. Guess it's deleted. Do you happen to remember the price for AX7 Petrol AT ?

Many thanks and God bless
Seems like he have screenshots with him but unable to upload them.

Most Viewed