Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2021, 18:22   #706
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
That's in fact why I'm reconsidering my options right now. My dad calls his Fortuner, "Chota Truck"(Little Truck) and to be honest I really don't want two little trucks parked outside. I enjoy the time I have with Dad's Fortuner but I wouldn't like driving it everyday with that awful body roll. Plus I have a really strong nostalgic bond with the Mahindras. Sadly I sold my workhorse today, and the heart wants a Mahindra as its replacement. So it's a clear Mind vs Heart.
Ouch, this is gonna be one tough decision to make. For me, heart wins out most of the time Anyway, jokes aside, I was shocked when I saw with how fast the thread has moved in the past two days that I’ve been absent. Seems like a lot of interest in the XUV 7OO despite Mahindra being quite sparse with information. Hope the freedom drives eliminate some of that. I live about roughly 300 kms from Guwahati city where the freedom drive is scheduled but would gladly travel the 5 hour distance to see the car in the flesh. Even if they don’t allow to drive, hope we atleast get to sit inside for a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
On a separate note Wade, I came to know that you're from Assam. Well, My SO is from Assam as well and I've visited the state few times as well. I spent a lot of time in Dibrugarh and I must say that North East is a heaven of its own.
Btw, this is awesome to hear. I didn’t know you had a connection with Assam. Thank you for your kind words about our North East. It always makes me happy to hear such good experiences. Do tell me the next time you visit. We can plan a small BHPian meet
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 18:55   #707
BHPian

Hey Guys, This is my first post in the forum. Happy to be a part of Team BHP.

I have been following this thread on a daily basis and would like to post an interesting update about day night IRVM. According to the details present in a training slide that was given to Mahindra dealers, day night IRVM is present even in base variant MX.

Guess need to wait and watch to confirm this but I am ok to be pleasantly surprised if this and other features (which we thought are missing) are actually there in the car when it hits the showroom
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv-700.jpg  

Vivek Menon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 19:55   #708
BHPian

Mahindra should have come up with basic requirements equipped in AX7 variant like ESP, Electronic Door handles, Auto-dimming IRVM, Ventilated front seats, Music system, electronic parking brakes instead of ADAS.

These things are of lot more use to everyone (mostly) in day-to-day run instead of ADAS.
Is there an option to switch off ADAS warnings and features, including Lane departure warnings and Emergency braking ??

ADAS is of no use in my city. Forget about the Lane markings, the topmost layer of the road is scraped off and there are such deep Potholes in the road that it will damage your tyres.

To be honest I don't want ADAS and It should have been kept optional as one who needs ADAS will always select it in the optional pack.
The other basic things are kept optional which are required in everyday usage example ESP, Electronic parking brake, Music system, Electronic door handles and so on.

Great news about the Booking on 2nd OCT, any inputs from XUV500 BS6 users about Mahindra's DPF and Ad-blue system reliability?
rpmmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 19:57   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Menon View Post
I have been following this thread on a daily basis and would like to post an interesting update about day night IRVM. According to the details present in a training slide that was given to Mahindra dealers, day night IRVM is present even in base variant MX.
Yes, Day & Night IRVM information was always available.
However, Day & Night IRVM is completely different from Auto dimming IRVM. For Day & Night IRVM, you have to manually press the mirror/button to switch between day & night modes, while Auto Dimming IRVM automatically dims the light reflections.

All the vehicles from C segment above, nowadays get Auto Dimming IRVM. So it's a bummer for potential XUV700 buyers. However, it's an easier job to fit Auto Dimming IRVM after market than a good safety kit (I'd miss the Ventilated seats though).
So, we can make an informed choice here.

Last edited by dh.harshal : 10th September 2021 at 20:16.
dh.harshal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 19:59   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess need to wait and watch to confirm this but I am ok to be pleasantly surprised if this and other features (which we thought are missing) are actually there in the car when it hits the showroom
Day/Night IRVM is there in every car, which has a manual switch. Sad part is that, the auto dimming IRVM never made it to the XUV5OO/XUV7OO, even after people talking about it for almost 10-11 years.
Old 10th September 2021, 20:03   #711
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure how this is surprising. The variant in question has a touchscreen (with Android auto no less), steering mounted controls even LED tail lamps.

This is obviously not a poverty spec base variant. It's expected to have a manual IRVM right? Now, if the MX variant gets auto-dimming IRVM then that would be pleasant surprise.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 20:50   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Lately i have noticed many Youtube channels (including prominent ones) try to test the top speed in that Mahindra Test Track. I havent seen any breach the 200kmph yet. But, i am afraid we will see many new XUV700s breach that number on public roads especially on the long good ones.
Now this could be a potential disaster for loss of life, limb, property and more atrocious Youtube coverage of “Accident at 200kmph-airbags did not deploy” or “ owner walks out unscathed” etc

I hope Mahindra ( and tata and other manufacturers) foresees this and electronically limits the speed of this very capable machine to 160 or so.
A really incorrect way of approaching this. 160KMPH is anyway illegal almost everywhere in India. This is not the right way to reduce untoward incidents - this is why we have a process of testing whether a person is capable of driving on Indian roads before handing out licenses.

One might argue that the testing process can be improved, but if any changes are to be done, we need to improve the way of assessing if a person can take to the roads, whether that person takes over the wheels of a 70BHP vehicle, or a 300BHP vehicle. As a responsible citizen, one should be fully aware of their responsibilities while driving. Setting machine controls like this isn't there solution.
FanaticOnWheels is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 20:58   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Mahindra should have come up with basic requirements equipped in AX7 variant like ESP, Electronic Door handles, Auto-dimming IRVM, Ventilated front seats, Music system, electronic parking brakes instead of ADAS.

These things are of lot more use to everyone (mostly) in day-to-day run instead of ADAS.
Is there an option to switch off ADAS warnings and features, including Lane departure warnings and Emergency braking ??

ADAS is of no use in my city. Forget about the Lane markings, the topmost layer of the road is scraped off and there are such deep Potholes in the road that it will damage your tyres.

To be honest I don't want ADAS and It should have been kept optional as one who needs ADAS will always select it in the optional pack.
The other basic things are kept optional which are required in everyday usage example ESP, Electronic parking brake, Music system, Electronic door handles and so on.

Great news about the Booking on 2nd OCT, any inputs from XUV500 BS6 users about Mahindra's DPF and Ad-blue system reliability?
I have read in some reviews that you get 3 options with ADAS features, ie (1) Switch it off completely (2) To keep it to warnings only (3) Enable the full functionality of the system.
Vivek Menon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 21:25   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
I hope this is not true! The Auto transmission is only in the AX7 variant! Not sure about AWD

https://www.carwale.com/news/mahindr...ails-revealed/

Customers opting for the AX5 variant of the new Mahindra XUV700 will be able to choose from a seating capacity of five and seven occupants, with a manual transmission being the sole gearbox option. The AX7 variant of the SUV will only get the option of a seven-seat option, while transmission options will include a manual unit as well as an automatic unit.
Well, if this is true, and Mahindra isn't offering AT on mid variant, I'm taking my money to Hyundai, MG or Kia or even Tata, pitiful as the XMA variants are. For a 15L vehicle, 10 lacs goes to Mahindra (-GST). If 10 people think the same as me and prefer to go to another brand, that's 1 Cr loss (and gain to competitors). I'm guessing that there will easily be 10000 people across the country who think the same and go to other OEMs. That's a cool 1000Cr loss. I don't think Mahindra is that stupid. They were the first to offer decent ATs on mid variants, with the XUV500 W7AT.

If you agree with me, strongly express your opinion. I was really planning on upgrading this year, and the XUV700 dropped on to the top of my list when I saw the AT option on AX5 variant.

Personally,I think Mahindra should offer AT on every variant starting from MX. It's bad that we can't have decent AT option on basic cars. Skoda did it right by offering AT on Rider Plus, and it's their best selling variant.
vivekgk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 21:58   #715
BHPian

Quote:

Completely agree!! Futuristic features are great from a PR and image building standpoint. And amidst the overall splash Mahindra has managed to create, ADAS has made some significant ripples. Whether it is even practical in Indian driving conditions is besides the point.

But does that absolve them of the mistake of making some key omissions at this price point?? Apart from the ones mentioned in the quoted message here, I find the absence of automatic climate control inexplicable. Forget ventilated seats, here we are going to be fiddling with the AC knobs of the AX3 and the AX5 when cars half the price offer ACC.
RPM1706 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 22:32   #716
BHPian

Hello all, extremely delighted to finally be a part of this energetic thread. I suspect I am just one of many who have joined TBHP purely because of the excitement that the XUV 700 has created across the country

I have been reading each and every word posted here for the past few weeks (I've felt this is where the most genuine and in-depth discussion is going on), sometimes constantly refreshing the window to check for the latest messages, and so do not want to repeat all the good first impressions already posted multiple times in the thread. I am eyeing the 700 pretty seriously and can't wait for the official booking launch and catch the first given opportunity to take a test drive. Currently I own a 6 year old Ecosport diesel, which is pretty good even today in terms of everything except for a pretty poor suspension (poor in terms of handling even the slightest of irregular roads with decent load) and the fact that its resale value is probably going to go for a toss pretty soon. Thus from whatever I've seen of the 700 (and I've probably seen each and everything out there on the internet about this beast), it seems the best possible upgrade from what we've been driving so far both for the driver and the passengers, at seemingly affordable prices. Here are some points and doubts I've regarding the 700 :

- My family is pretty adamant that we want AT in our next vehicle, and I was pretty certain that it would be there in AX5 (which was the one I was seriously thinking of) until I saw the discussions today. It is shocking that such rumours are there, and I feel that AT is an absolute necessity for AX5 which I feel is the most VFM variant which would see the most sales. Most of my drives would be in Kochi which is also pretty tough and demanding on your left foot just like any major city in our country, and that makes AT a must for a smooth drive anywhere. However if Mahindra decides that one must still stretch till the topmost variant to get AT, it would be really disappointing for many like me and would reflect on the sales as well. I genuinely hope that what was shown in the official website of the XUV 700 was a typo and that all the rumours are wrong. I did hear from a few in social media groups who claim to have driven the 700, that AT would be there in AX5 as well and that the same would be revealed along with all the information that is still in the dark. If so, I hope that M&M don't wait to provide AT for AX5 after the first launch as well, because many do fear that if they delay the booking, the waiting period would increase beyond limits as well. This could also impact the potential buyers.

- It is almost certain that the AX5 would have the dark coloured fabric seats like in the AX3. Although I have seen many prefer these to the brighter coloured seats in the AX7 because of slightly easier maintainence, I would like to know how they compare to the AX7 seats in terms of the overall seating comfort. Also, is the suspension setup the exact same for all the variants ?

- Is there any difference in the alloy wheel design between AX 7 and AX5, considering the change in size between the two variants ? It is baffling that we have not even seen one single picture of the AX5 till date, making me ask such questions 😅

- I had contacted a few dealers here in Kochi, and some other reliable sources directly and indirectly related to M&M Kerala, and got a hint from them that it's difficult to obtain any sort of priority based on whether one pre books or not, considering the huge demand in bookings which is expected. That is why I didn't opt for pre booking and decided to book the moment its official online bookings begin.

Would like to obtain valuable insights on the above points from the experts here. Anyways, keep up the activity in this thread, and continue to be the main source of proper information regarding the 700. Kudos to all the TBHPians for maintaining the thread with the same buzz a the time. I think some of it deserves to be attributed to the car itself..
APB98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 09:05   #717
BHPian

I don't know if these have already been posted here, but here are some pics from the XUV website of the AX5.

The reason I think this is the AX5 is because the wheel design matches the one shown in the the video on the XUV700 Youtube channel. The interior pics show no cruise control or other buttons on the right side of the steering wheel, so I'm guessing this is the AX5.

Exterior

Mahindra XUV700 Review-ezgif29099f935ec75.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-ezgif23e01681543ec.jpg

Interiors

Mahindra XUV700 Review-ezgif24cedfd318609.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-ezgif2dee3a10a8b28.jpg
vivekgk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 10:29   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I don't know if these have already been posted here, but here are some pics from the XUV website of the AX5.

The reason I think this is the AX5 is because the wheel design matches the one shown in the the video on the XUV700 Youtube channel. The interior pics show no cruise control or other buttons on the right side of the steering wheel, so I'm guessing this is the AX5.

Exterior

Attachment 2205459

Attachment 2205457

Interiors

Attachment 2205458

Attachment 2205460
Yes, this indeed is the AX5. As you mentioned correctly, the wheel design confirms this. The AX3, AX5 and AX7 all are different in their alloy designs.

Looking at the dashboard and the controls, it's clear that there is no automatic climate control either. This is a bad miss, Mahindra. Otherwise, the AX5 is fairly well loaded and expecting a car buyer at above Rs.15 lacs level to either put up with manual AC or upgrade to the top variant simply for this is just not on!!!

And now to wait and see if the AX5 misses out on the AT variant too...
Old 11th September 2021, 11:38   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
The interior pics show no cruise control or other buttons on the right side of the steering wheel, so I'm guessing this is the AX5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
Yes, this indeed is the AX5. As you mentioned correctly, the wheel design confirms this. The AX3, AX5 and AX7 all are different in their alloy designs.

Looking at the dashboard and the controls, it's clear that there is no automatic climate control either. This is a bad miss, Mahindra. Otherwise, the AX5 is fairly well loaded and expecting a car buyer at above Rs.15 lacs level to either put up with manual AC or upgrade to the top variant simply for this is just not on!!!

Yes, as per the other posts somewhere in the thread, there is no Cruise control in AX5 and not even ACC ( Automatic Climate control) option.

I have seen a lot of people installing Cruise control aftermarket which works like charm with a coupler to coupler fittings.

There are even many videos for ACC fitting for popular cars like Creta.

For wheel design and Tyres:
Can someone please confirm the Tyre profile on the AX5 variant as on AX7 the Tyre is 235/60 R18.
As we know that the diameter will be the same across all the variants means on AX5 it will be 235/70 R17 something like that?

rpmmachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 11:47   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post

Yes, but when you compare to the Safari XM ir Harrier XM, AX5 is still much better value. The XM variants are really basic, with a tiny entertainment screen, 16 inch steel disc with wheelcaps, no LED DRLs etc and look very bland.

I tHink features like climate control and cruise control should be available standard is all cars above 10 lacs, it's not like it costs that much extra. But the SC shortage means that even small modules now command a premium price from vendors.

Quote:

For wheel design and Tyres:
Can someone please confirm the Tyre profile on the AX5 variant as on AX7 the Tyre is 235/60 R18.
As we know that the diameter will be the same across all the variants means on AX5 it will be 235/70 R17 something like that?
XUV700 site confirms that tyre sizes are what you mentioned. 18 inch wheel dia for the AX7 and 17 inches for all lower variants. AX5 gets 17 inch alloys, AX3 and below get steel wheels, with the AX3 getting wheel caps. Tyre width remains same for all at 235mm.

Last edited by vivekgk : 11th September 2021 at 11:52. Reason: Replying to newer comment
vivekgk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed