Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 16:27   #1456

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Was able to take a small test drive of the AX7-L AT variant both petrol & diesel. Due to the heavy weekend rush wasn't able to explore the cockpit and features much, just got a feel of the ride. will need to visit the showroom again to get a fulfilling experience. Some key points about my observations of the on-display/test drive car are below.

putting down some of goods/not-so-goods about the car - as i remember
Goods of the car
  1. The power delivery is excellent, smooth.
  2. Suspensions are good and handled potholes well.
  3. The camera/360 is mind blowing. Wonderful picture/video quality from all cameras.
  4. The 10" display is awesome and has good touch sensitivity. Although i feel UI needs some work to make it easy to navigate. There is no back button on certain screens. Both the displays have excellent graphics.
  5. It nice to see some physical buttons for AC, camera, etc on the dashboard. Not sure if they are programmable to some other function - would be nice feature to have.
  6. The car looks good - again a matter of one's perspective - has road presence.

Not so Goods about the car
  1. The tilt & telescopic adjusting of the steering wheel was rigid and requires some effort to move. Its not smooth. This is by far the worst I've seen in any car.
  2. If one plans of taking 7 people for a ride, then they will have to recline middle row seats all the way up - making it uncomfortable on the back for those sitting in the middle row. The back is in erect/upright position. The most comfortable position for the middle row i found was when the seats were reclined half way back or completely incase one wants to relax. Point is 7 people ride is good for short distance/time, otherwise middle row and last row people will be unhappy for long drives.
  3. The last row is not for people with height greater than 5'8" probably. My height is 5'10" and my head was touching the roof when seated in the last row. My knees touched the middle row seats when they were reclined - very uncomfortable. If the middle row seats are not reclined at all, then maybe someone of my height could sit for a few hours, knees in this case just touched the middle row seats.
  4. Boot space is next to nothing when the last row is up. One can probably keep a gym bag or purse or something like that. When the last row is folded down, the floor is uneven, but one gets a large boot space to carry suitcases for travel, etc.
  5. No electric/power movement for the tailgate
  6. No hydraulic struts for the bonnet
Dhiraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 16:58   #1457

Hello Everyone

Had a chance to check the car @ Safdarjung Dealership , Delhi.

Few points :

- Third row is tad lesser than Safari in legroom but due to decreased height / tilting down, max 5”8 height person would be able to get head room. Anyone taller, would not be able to sit.
- Second row has decent legroom, but cushioning could have been better. Tried reclining the back part on the non driver second row and it was happening.
- Driving position is Good, with bumper visible.
- Test drove Diesel AT L and it had a good punch, but the steering was a tad on the lighter side ( not something that I may prefer ).
- 360 degree camera with turn indicator camera view in the console will be a miss in AWD for sure.

Cheers.

ps : attached is a picture of an old XUV parked alongside the new one. Seemed very similar in height.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-081a3b4158264522aafdd76f740f3c10.jpeg  

BankerontheHill is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 17:18   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
You tested the car till 170 kmph on public road? And tested emergency braking with a 2 wheeler as subject? Both are highly irresponsible.
@mods pls take note
Am sorry, both the acts weren't done on any public roads instead at a strip owned by a private concern. It was not emergency braking. The XUV700 was doing 60 km/hr and the system in the car was able to detect the appointed two wheeler which was few meters ahead. When the mode was activated, we witnessed the speed being reduced to match the pace of the 2 wheeler.

Thanks for bringing this into notice. Should have mentioned this earlier.

Dear moderators, if my post raises such confusion, please feel free to edit or delete the post.
eccentric is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 17:25   #1459
BHPian

@GTO: The thread is almost reaching a 100 pages - like me, I believe a lot of us are waiting for your verdict on this super-hyped SUV. For a diesel (even contemplating a 2-Lit petrol engine @ 200 bhp, with 5-6 Kmpl avg at potentially INR 150/ Lit of petrol price is just throwing away good money, IMHO!) - there's the Harrier/ Safari, and of course this XUV700. And, if I am to be honest, a Sonet 1.5 diesel mill with almost 600 kgs less kerb weight is not that much less exciting - Sonet/ Seltos/ Creta's internal acreage is obviously underwhelming. So, how/what do you reckon?
Old 3rd October 2021, 17:27   #1460
BHPian

We here at Kolkata getting a showcasing on 05 Oct.

If i’m not mistaken the all India drive didn’t go through here as well

Getting jealous when other members are able to get to the showroom to get a feel
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-790a3390b3ed44c1a0c3fc0f0813a63f.jpeg  

KapilD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:01   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty1 View Post
No parcel tray, but an after market accessory of a collapsable parcel tray fitment is available. I had seen such parcel trays all over Europe which seems much more elegant and functional.
The parcel tray is not after market accessory. It's being provided as official accessory and mentioned in the Mahindra brochure pdf attached by a forum member a few pages back. There is also a stepper that I think most buyers will want installed.
sixthsense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:22   #1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Can some one please tell me what is this adrenox subscription? It is said in the brochure that it's free for the first two years. How much is to be paid later and what features would i lose is subscription is not paid? Could not find this any where in this forum.
WOW... I never knew this so called "smart features" comes bundled with Car is now monetized !!! This is outright ugly and outrageous.

Thanks for bringing up this one from tiny footnotes. No Idea what more such senseless hidden costs are involved with XUV 700.

The M&M should rather pay one time royalty for every XUV they sell and not pass on their customers to some third party ADRENOX who will shut down your car console if you don't pay up after 2 years.
MahiDesai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:37   #1463
Senior - BHPian

That's odd. Do you think ADAS was at work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Had some freak occurrences today while test driving the manual diesel (they didn't have the auto for TD) So basically at 3 separate instances at a speed of around 10kmph in 2nd gear the engine completely shut. Very similar to the feeling of what happens when auto start/stop system activates. So it shut and would switch on only by pressing the main on button
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:58   #1464
BHPian

One of the observations I made yesterday was that most of the enquiries for TD were for the Diesel engine.

Does that mean that Mahindra goofed up deprioritizing their production capacity for Diesels? My SA had told me that only ~20% of capacity is being allocated for Diesel. Whereas the interest list for Diesel TD was at least 20-30% more than the Petrol.

Did others also make such an observation? How did it go at your respective dealers?

Last edited by krishnakumar : 3rd October 2021 at 18:59. Reason: typos
krishnakumar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 19:31   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's odd. Do you think ADAS was at work?
Really doubt as why would ADAS shut off the engine? The TD driver who accompanied me also told me it had happened before with other customers but the manager did not agree. Of course as I mentioned I wasn't able to reproduce it as I was running out of time
Old 3rd October 2021, 19:41   #1466
BHPian

A good summary of ADAS capabilities of XUV700 from the official channel.

The Alchemist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 19:47   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
One of the observations I made yesterday was that most of the enquiries for TD were for the Diesel engine.

Does that mean that Mahindra goofed up deprioritizing their production capacity for Diesels? My SA had told me that only ~20% of capacity is being allocated for Diesel. Whereas the interest list for Diesel TD was at least 20-30% more than the Petrol.

Did others also make such an observation? How did it go at your respective dealers?
Even I noticed the same thing, demand for diesel was way too higher than petrol during TD, many of those opting for TD of petrol were doing so because of longer waiting time of diesel. Dealers are encouraging people to go for petrol citing longer waiting periods but people are fearing mileage for petrol I guess.
Dark water is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:02   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark water View Post
Even I noticed the same thing, demand for diesel was way too higher than petrol during TD, many of those opting for TD of petrol were doing so because of longer waiting time of diesel. Dealers are encouraging people to go for petrol citing longer waiting periods but people are fearing mileage for petrol I guess.
Had been to Pune dealer and my number for diesel XUV TD was 16. 3rd was on TD so SA said it will take 2 hrs for my turn. I dropped the plan and TDed Astor instead for good 10 KMs. I will go for a XUV TD on a weekday now.

BTW, I feel Astor interiors are better put together and has more premium feel to the cabin than XUV
neoonwheels is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:45   #1469
BHPian

Dear experts,

As a newbie here, may I request your honest opinion? As this is a new vehicle hitting our Indian roads and my lack of interest in all the gadgets and gizmos, what is your opinion to buy the base variant MX petrol? Should I wait for a year atleast to see how the car performs in the real world? What could go wrong with a turbo petrol manual car? I am hoping the basics are covered by Mahindra and any niggles as a new car is around the electronics and gadgets. Looking at the variant spread it makes sense to either buy a fully loaded AX7 ( which I prefer not to for reasons above+budget constraints) or go for a basic variant MX and add accesories like 17 inch alloys, reverse camera etc. Thoughts?

Many thanks!
ags82 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:52   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ags82 View Post
Dear experts,

As a newbie here, may I request your honest opinion? As this is a new vehicle hitting our Indian roads and my lack of interest in all the gadgets and gizmos, what is your opinion to buy the base variant MX petrol? Should I wait for a year atleast to see how the car performs in the real world? What could go wrong with a turbo petrol manual car? I am hoping the basics are covered by Mahindra and any niggles as a new car is around the electronics and gadgets. Looking at the variant spread it makes sense to either buy a fully loaded AX7 ( which I prefer not to for reasons above+budget constraints) or go for a basic variant MX and add accesories like 17 inch alloys, reverse camera etc. Thoughts?

Many thanks!
Please do consider that Petrol prices are going up and also the expected average of petrol is around 6-8. As in the TD vehicle, MID was showing only 5.1 KM/L.

Take a test drive of ASTOR as well as other petrol vehicles.
If your requirement is 5 seater only, then you have a lot of options in the market with better Fuel efficiency.
Rest its all your choice.
These were just the 2 cents from my side.

Last edited by rpmmachine : 3rd October 2021 at 22:00. Reason: added few more lines
rpmmachine is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks