Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2021, 10:30   #1486
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Well, I did my visit to my Mahindra dealer over the weekend to have a "dekho" of XUV700. The showroom was all decked-up for the event and there was quite a lot of interest for XUV700. A lot more than what I expected. The SUV in person looks pretty good and design lines seems to flow well. The front and rear light enclosures seem right sized (unlike what the photos indicate).

Things myself and Wifey liked are
- Interiors and seating comfort.
- Skyroof (loved it)
- Driving seating positon/s (memory seats included)
- dashboard design and electronics
- 2nd row space and thigh support
- Access to 3rd Row (although prefer a movable 2nd row)
- Good features for AX7 variant
- 3rd Row comfort is acceptable for kids and short drives involving more than 5 people
- Tail-gate even though made of plastic/fibre didn't feel flimsy and shut well.

Features that can be improved/missed
- Dashboard/door plastic quality can be improved
- The Piano black finished inside are a fingerprint magnet. If they had done those with Matte finish, it would have been great!
- Powered tailgate closure
- MRF wanderer tyres (not sure how good these are?)
- tailgate one opened exposes sharp edges of the tail-gate light enclosures on either sides of the XUV. Need to be careful while moving luggage or things in/out of XUV. Chances of you hitting (and breaking) those edges are high.
- Most importantly, miss all the Luxury option pack for AWD variant. I was looking forward to book the AX7 L DSL + AT + AWD. Most missed features by me in that option pack are Sony Music system, Electronics Parking, 360 Degree views.

Yet to take the test drive as there was a long queue for the same. Will do it sometime during the next 2 days. So, if you are wondering what my decision now in terms of booking? Well, it's a GO for me. I have been waiting for a spacious SUV (not a Pseudo ones) under 30 lakhs , that offers good value for money with AWD/4X4 for the past 2-3 years. I have a Linea TJet that is well over 7 years and has served me well (it still runs like a dream BTW and will be my 2nd car for short and spirited driving needs). So, a Midnight Black AX7 DSL AT AWD XUV700 meets those needs. I have given a go ahead to my dealer for the same. Hopefully will get that soon! (Fingers crossed)

Will update once I finish my test drive.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:39   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Anand Mahindra about XUV700 craze.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-smartselect_20211004103823_twitter.jpg

Delivery date announcement

Mahindra XUV700 Review-smartselect_20211004104136_twitter.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211004_103722.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211004_103724.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211004_103727.jpg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211004_103729.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th October 2021 at 10:54.
Venkatesh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:52   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
I had another Question to ask our Friends here:
Did anyone get a Acknowledgement or a Receipt or anything from the Dealer after paying the Booking amount of 21,000 or something?
Can Someone Help me with this Query??
Old 4th October 2021, 10:54   #1489
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
After checking Safari, we checked Triber. And we all thought that it had the most comfortable 3rd row, despite being the shortest in length.
It is high time that Renault bring turbo petrol engine into the Triber and grab some more sales of already hit product
Old 4th October 2021, 10:59   #1490
BHPian

I had been to the Mahindra showroom over the weekend to check out the XUV700. The car had been unveiled just the previous day at the showroom.

I liked the roomy interiors, cabin space, the classy looking instrument cluster, but the quality of the plastic used in the dashboard/ door pads felt hard and cheap.

Moreover, Mahindra lived up to its reputation of buggy/laggy electronics (in a brand new car). When the SA, who was demonstrating the vehicle to me, tapped the driving modes icon on the screen, it just froze. And then I tried to do that using a dedicated button for the driving modes below, same result! No matter what the SA did, she could not access the driving modes. And then she tapped the "Fun with XUV 700" tab. Same result again!! Her response to these glitches was - "Sir, it was working fine in the morning, don't know what happened now. May be a software issue". And it does not end here.

She tried using voice commands to open the sunroof via Alexa. The sunroof opened in the third attempt, and did not bother to close despite repeated voice commands. Finally, had to shut it using the "close" button.

I had briefly considered the car as my next purchase, somehow hoping against odds (looking at the XUV 500 niggles thread here) that Mahindra would have a sorted product in the XUV 700. However, Mahindra just reinstated my belief that NEVER buy a new product (car) in the first 1-2 years of its life cycle.

Last edited by anshu1101 : 4th October 2021 at 11:02. Reason: Added content
anshu1101 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:59   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
So,
I went to the showroom in Gurgaon late night at around 9'oclock and took 1 hour very long test drive ( had a contact at the showroom).
Wow brilliant. Almost like reading a 3 car shoot out.
Great job.

I think Mahindra will definitely bring out ventilated seat, auto IRVM and fully loaded AWD in the next iteration. That should seal it.

However, I do wonder why no actual Black colour?
Old 4th October 2021, 11:04   #1492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The local dealership resembled a 'mela' with showroom packed to the brim. Just couldn't believe it. It's a dream launch for any car. I was wondering how did M&M drum up such a response?

so that intrigues me further. What are your thoughts, guys? Any insights?
The same way it happened in 2011 for Mk1 XUV. Same way it happened in 2020 with Thar.

Car and features were introduced to the buyer keeping him ready to spend the money as soon as the money arrives in - The Second harvest season, now there is enough money at hand. You need a car that you don't need to explain to anyone as to why you bought it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:17   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
- Most importantly, miss all the Luxury option pack for AWD variant. I was looking forward to book the AX7 L DSL + AT + AWD. Most missed features by me in that option pack are Sony Music system, Electronics Parking, 360 Degree views.
IMO 90% of the folks who want to go for the AWD variant would have liked to have the Luxury pack as well. Mahindra would have thought that only a negligible percentage of the AWD aspirants (which itself is a small fraction of the total XUV sales) are willing to pay more for the luxury pack, which is not true.
I don't know if there is a way for T-Bhpians who are interested in the AWD with L pack to collectively persuade Mahindra to offer such variant.
Old 4th October 2021, 11:19   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The local dealership resembled a 'mela' with showroom packed to the brim. Just couldn't believe it. It's a dream launch for any car. I was wondering how did M&M drum up such a response? Was it the long anticipation for the car to launch, or the almost unending feature list? Why aren't other car manufacturers able to replicate this phenomenon? Reminded me of the Nano frenzy, but the pricing on this beauty is far from that (In fact a Rs 20 lakh bracket), so that intrigues me further. What are your thoughts, guys? Any insights?
I think it is normal for a Mahindra car launch. I went to KUV100 launch event few years back (Anant Cars, near IIM) and was surprised to see the crowd. They had enough staffs to attend/manage the crowd. We even managed to test drive on the same day.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:26   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
- Another interesting bit; he owns a XUV500 and assured that 5 seater XUV500 will be launched by 1st quarter of 2023 and will sit in between XUV300 and XUV700. Expect a round or two of price increase for XUV700 to make way for XUV500.
This information is very interesting, however it seems unlikely that an entirely new car (XUV500) can be launched by Q1 2023, which is only 1.5 years from now at best, as there has been no news on development or testing of any such model. In that case, can it be assumed that the supposed XUV500 would be based on the XUV700 itself, which would be kind of what Mahindra did with the XUV300, which was a shortened version of the Tivoli?
Old 4th October 2021, 11:28   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
IMO 90% of the folks who want to go for the AWD variant would have liked to have the Luxury pack as well. Mahindra would have thought that only a negligible percentage of the AWD aspirants (which itself is a small fraction of the total XUV sales) are willing to pay more for the luxury pack, which is not true.
I don't know if there is a way for T-Bhpians who are interested in the AWD with L pack to collectively persuade Mahindra to offer such variant.
I hope we can find a way to do that. Maybe bombard Anand Mahindra's twitter handle with that request?

Interestingly there were 2 other prospective buyers with the same demand while I was at the showroom and the dealer was pushing them to book AX7 L without AWD, saying that AWD is not really needed and makes no difference to FWD . I was surprised and challenged the person to explain that in more detail. Ofcourse, he failed to do so. Instead, he asks the customer to book Thar for his 4x4 cravings. Anyway, for whatever reason Mahindra did this, i have not come across a single person who's not willing to pay extra for the Luxury option in the AWD variant. Doesn't that fact speak for itself?

Last edited by r0ckstar.1 : 4th October 2021 at 11:30. Reason: Correct Spelling mistakes
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:34   #1497
BHPian

Quote:

Interestingly there were 2 other prospective buyers with the same demand while I was at the showroom and the dealer was pushing them to book AX7 L without AWD, saying that AWD is not really needed and makes no difference to FWD .
Experienced the same myself. The salesperson started "explaining" to my father how AWD is "not really four wheel drive" and how it makes little to no difference. Also went on to state how the XUV7OO is not an offroading car and hence AWD is useless. When I pointed out how AWD helps in regular conditions as well, not to mention in the rains, he had no answer.
CapKoura is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:40   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope we can find a way to do that. Maybe bombard Anand Mahindra's twitter handle with that request?

Interestingly there were 2 other prospective buyers with the same demand while I was at the showroom and the dealer was pushing them to book AX7 L without AWD, saying that AWD is not really needed and makes no difference to FWD . I was surprised and challenged the person to explain that in more detail. Ofcourse, he failed to do so. Instead, he asks the customer to book Thar for his 4x4 cravings. Anyway, for whatever reason Mahindra did this, i have not come across a single person who's not willing to pay extra for the Luxury option in the AWD variant. Doesn't that fact speak for itself?
I have already sent one such tweet to Mr. Anand Mahindra and suggest others to do the same
Kind of justifications the dealers come up with are ridiculous. Yesterday during the test drive one guy told me that the Luxury features get damaged if provided on an AWD variant as they can't withstand the abuse of off-roading.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:57   #1499
Senior - BHPian

I'm just impressed how well the showroom staff were handling each and every customer. They were very courteous. TD queues are being managed well. I checked out the car, and I have only positives for the XUV 700. The engine is just superb. Took lots of pictures but nothing to show any drawbacks, as it usually is the case. Mahindra has done a great job with the product, per se. We are definitely in line, to get one - 6-8 months down the line. AX7 Top End Diesel, it will be. Let the dust settle down
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_8338.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 4th October 2021 at 13:01.
Sebring is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:14   #1500
BHPian

Just saw the pop-up banner on the official website. XUV 700 bookings to open at 10 a.m. on 7th October.

Dealer had mentioned 9 a.m. during the TD.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211004_131147.jpg  

IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed