Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 00:02   #1621
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Recieved the price list for Assam today, though this pricelist was made before the AX7L AT+AWD was announced. The price is delicious at Rs. 23.25 OTR for the AX7L AT so I'm guessing just a few thousand more for the AX7L AT+AWD. I'm sold on the XUV7OO, though spending 25 big ones on a newly launched car seems risky, but if we don't book, then we might have to wait for several months. Asking dear members here - whether it is possible and also advisable to book now and then take delivery several months later?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20211005wa0011.jpg  

wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 00:17   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Recieved the price list for Assam today, though this pricelist was made before the AX7L AT+AWD was announced. The price is delicious at Rs. 23.25 OTR for the AX7L AT so I'm guessing just a few thousand more for the AX7L AT+AWD. I'm sold on the XUV7OO, though spending 25 big ones on a newly launched car seems risky, but if we don't book, then we might have to wait for several months. Asking dear members here - whether it is possible and also advisable to book now and then take delivery several months later?
I wonder why the registration charges mentioned is only for 5 years.
Old 6th October 2021, 00:39   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargville View Post
I wonder why the registration charges mentioned is only for 5 years.
We did the same for our Innova when we bought it, the reasoning was that people normally change cars after five years Our Innova registration is about to expire and we're looking to sell it now before purchasing the XUV700. Anyway, when we buy the car we won't be registering it in that district but ours instead so the total amount paid to dealer would be just the base vehicle cost, insurance (though we'll try to do it outside if possible as well) and some accessories.
Old 6th October 2021, 01:01   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushg11 View Post
I noticed during the showroom visit that the fuel door can be opened by merely pressing on it. I am not sure if this is only the case when the car is unlocked, or even when it is locked. In the latter scenario, isn't there a risk of fuel theft while the car is parked (ex. overnight)? Would be glad to hear if anyone has any views on this? Thanks.
I personally checked this. It stays locked when the car is locked. The bug was fixed even before it came to production!
Old 6th October 2021, 01:03   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushg11 View Post
I noticed during the showroom visit that the fuel door can be opened by merely pressing on it. I am not sure if this is only the case when the car is unlocked, or even when it is locked. In the latter scenario, isn't there a risk of fuel theft while the car is parked (ex. overnight)? Would be glad to hear if anyone has any views on this? Thanks.
The fuel lid will open only if the car is unlocked. Same in VAG cars.
gopi_rm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 01:03   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Don't be under the faintest doubt that all this was just based on M&M listening to customer feedback and responding magically with two new variants in days! There is no way a company can plan, source, market two completely new variants in 5 days! This was all pre-planned to the day.
Of course these variants would have been pre-planned. Which is why Mahindra deserves kudos for anticipating customer needs and preparing for such scenario beforehand. Especially on AWD. Compare this to Harrier/ Safari which does not yet have AWD.

In fact Mahindra is too well prepared. I was hoping to wait for a year until they sort out the niggles, but with luxury variant now making it to the AWD variant, I am not sure if I can wait that long.
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 01:19   #1627
BHPian

Hey guys,

Need your help/advice! I'm confused between the AWD and 2wd versions, do you think the FE of the AWD would be considerably less than the 2WD? I spoke to the Mahindra SA and he said the difference was nearly 3 kmpl for the xuv 500 and he doesn't know what the figure might be for the xuv 700.

I have always had a 2WD and haven't really felt the need for an AWD for the most part but would love to have this in AWD as we plan to do a lot of trips in the XUV 700 but I feel, it's not worth it if the FE would drop by 3 kmpl compared to the 2WD.

Thanks in advance
Old 6th October 2021, 07:34   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nitin View Post
I have always had a 2WD and haven't really felt the need for an AWD for the most part but would love to have this in AWD as we plan to do a lot of trips in the XUV 700 but I feel, it's not worth it if the FE would drop by 3 kmpl compared to the 2WD.
Even if there is such a considerable drop in FE then it should only be there when the car is in AWD mode. I'm sure the XUV700 will provide an option to switch between AWD and FWD, when required.

So, if you foresee that you may utilize the AWD capabilities of the car during your ownership, you can opt for the AWD version. Keep it in FWD mode in the city and use the AWD option only when you're on tough terrains.
Marauder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 08:07   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Need your help/advice! I'm confused between the AWD and 2wd versions, do you think the FE of the AWD would be considerably less than the 2WD? I spoke to the Mahindra SA and he said the difference was nearly 3 kmpl for the xuv 500 and he doesn't know what the figure might be for the xuv 700.

Thanks in advance
AWD equipped Cars and Crossovers typically have lower FE ranging from 4-9 percent due to greater weight. Also they suffer from faster tire wear than FWD's & AWD's leads to somewhat increased maintenance cost.

So, if you require an AWD and like mild off-roading or have to drive on steep inclines which may have wet/slippery surfaces/mild snow/slush, you can opt for a AWD equipped vehicle. AWD's are not suitable for hard-core off-roading.

Last edited by Manojah : 6th October 2021 at 08:14.
Manojah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 09:35   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Even if there is such a considerable drop in FE then it should only be there when the car is in AWD mode. I'm sure the XUV700 will provide an option to switch between AWD and FWD, when required.

So, if you foresee that you may utilize the AWD capabilities of the car during your ownership, you can opt for the AWD version. Keep it in FWD mode in the city and use the AWD option only when you're on tough terrains.
As far as I know, since AWD system puts additional weight on the car, the FE figures suffer & there is no switching mode to AWD from FWD and it is typically sensor driven (when the sensors detect need for more traction, they make the car switch to AWD from FWD & when the traction need becomes normal, it switches back to FWD). There is no human involvement in this switching.

Last edited by Manojah : 6th October 2021 at 09:39.
Manojah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 09:46   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
....there is no switching mode to AWD from FWD.....There is no human involvement in this switching.
From Overdrive's first drive report:

And finally, they added in all-wheel drive, using a BorgWarner transfer case to deliver torque to all four wheels at the click of a button. This is not an on-demand system, you have to select all-wheel drive, and when it's switched off, power is shifted back to the front wheels.
comfortablynumb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:02   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Just went through the brochure and the variants. MX looks good, Also the AX7. Can the luxury pack be added to the MX variant? Specifically 360* camera, telescopic steering wheel and Electric smart doors?

MX petrol will be a fun to drive car and the money saved compared to the AX7 will help pay for fuel for a couple of years. Maybe Mahindra will offer a conversion to electric then.

One worry is the lack of interest in this forum for the MX variant. This may translate to low sales and thus poor after sales support. The 3 AX models seem mostly incremental. But the MX seems to be very different except for the frame and engine (Petrol version). Will there be sufficient stock of various consumables and breakable parts?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:09   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Even if there is such a considerable drop in FE then it should only be there when the car is in AWD mode. I'm sure the XUV700 will provide an option to switch between AWD and FWD, when required.Keep it in FWD mode in the city and use the AWD option only when you're on tough terrains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
there is no switching mode to AWD from FWD and it is typically sensor driven (when the sensors detect need for more traction, they make the car switch to AWD from FWD & when the traction need becomes normal, it switches back to FWD). There is no human involvement in this switching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

And finally, they added in all-wheel drive, using a BorgWarner transfer case to deliver torque to all four wheels at the click of a button. This is not an on-demand system, you have to select all-wheel drive, and when it's switched off, power is shifted back to the front wheels.
The operation of Mahindra AWD in XUV 500 in the below video. Guess someone had posted this already in this thread. Unless they've made any changes, it's likely to be the same in XUV 700 too. By default it's in auto mode(means it remains in FWD all the time and torque is supplied to rear wheels only upon detection of traction loss/slippage/wheel spin). One has also the option to manually enable/lock the AWD by the click of a button and the torque split remains constant at 60:40(front:rear).

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th October 2021 at 10:26.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:29   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to the Mahindra SA and he said the difference was nearly 3 kmpl for the xuv 500 and he doesn't know what the figure might be for the xuv 700.
Please flag this guy to the management in the dealership. He is spreading false information either to discourage the AWD variant or he is simply ignorant. He needs better training.
AWD XUV drives as FWD on regular basis and the weight of the extra hardware can make the FE to drop by 0.1 kmpl at best.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:31   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Guys,
please have realistic expectations and be realistic in your comparisons. AX5 in diesel variant comes at a price of Rs 15.59 lacs with a 185 PS engine, 17 inch diamond cut alloy wheels, 4 airbags, panoramic sunroof, 10.25" instrument cluster and 10.25" digital cluster, built in alexa, wireless andriod auto and apple car play, second row armrest with cupholders (as per the brochure), in built navigation, LED headlamps with autobooster etc. It is by no means a "barebones" variant. None of its competitors (Hector and Harrier) come with push start/stop button, cruise control or automatic climate control at this point.
The starting price of 11.99 has spoiled us.!
People forget very quickly that they are getting class leading 200/185 PS engines.
Further cars like Sonet has convinced people that all cars above 10L should have all these 'essential' features which are missing in AX5.
buntee90 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed