Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 11:40   #1906
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Came across below video about ADAS in XUV700 , what I see and understand from this video , system is bit too sensitive and needs better calibration , also needs some sort of getting used to .

Language used in video is Tamil but two issues highlighted were , Car applies brakes automatically when the tries to cut between two cars (Captured in video) and other one was, when he tried to change lane as there as a barricade in front of him, car is counter steering and tries to keep him the same lane.

There are few people in comments who pointed out that using indicators would avoid these issues but I would love to hear opinions on this , as I have not driven any car which has ADAS.
VigneshMC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:42   #1907
BHPian

I have one query from the distinguished Bhpians here. Yesterday when I was doing the TD for the diesel manual, I found the clutch to be very light yet the throw was kind of deep. Do we have any way to adjust this travel of clutch pedal in cars just the way we do it in Bikes?
Monty1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:51   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
No offense to future owners and my best wishes to all of you, but 28 lacs for a Mahindra loaded with electronics with sub par service? The call is totally yours.
That is a lot of rebuffing in a single sentence

Let me try to counter it with some much-needed light-hearted positivity

1. This was a good product, marketed well. They used everything at their Arsenal for obtaining long-term bragging rights. We can't blame the product engineering or marketing team for doing their job well, can we?

2. Introductory pricing was promised only for the first 25000 bookings. I guess a lot of fence-sitters went ahead and booked anyway. After all, a 10% (INR 2100) deduction on cancellation may not be much of a risk to take in the bigger scheme of things.

3. There would be a set of people who always take the freshest of products. They will go ahead anyway, regardless of these initial marketing methods.

4. There would still be more people booking today and coming days. As per Mahindra's production capacity, they need 6 months to deliver initial 25000 bookings. That was well known much before this. So if you come under the first 50000 bookings, your wait time could get extend up to a year, and will get the much-deserved price protection. This will give you a chance to observe the niggles of initial batches. You can change your mind at any time during this one-year period.

5. If you are planning to spend ~30 Lakhs one year down the lane, this is a better risk to take (INR 2100), than rebuffing a product and company with an example from 10 years ago. A lot can change during this period. Heck, things can change in 1 year (for better or worse is a different discussion!)

6. I don't think we have to use adjectives like "for a Mahindra", "for a Tata", "for a VW" etc anymore. I feel that people and industry as a whole have evolved to evaluate a product on its own merits. We have seen Taigun/Kushaq & Astor. I wonder what sort of plastic quality improvement does Taigun has, compared to XUV700?

7. A lot of people are complaining about the 28-29L price tag. Do we even have an option for a decent AWD vehicle in that price range? Safari tops XUV700 (by a small margin) even without an AWD. Isn't it good for customers to have more options? Especially from homegrown brands - not from a patriotism perspective, but from a long-term business case perspective. We've learned a thing or two from Ford, GM, etc in the past right!

To all of you who have booked so far, hearty congratulations! We are waiting for your ownership experience in a few weeks. Cheers!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th October 2021 at 14:37. Reason: edited
The Alchemist is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:54   #1909
BHPian

I got a call last evening from the Mahindra dealer whom I'd visited a few weeks back. He offered to hold an AX5 Diesel AT booking for me at launch prices, for the evening if I confirmed (& paid) before 7pm.

Although I haven't driven the vehicle, I was very much interested. Discussed at home but everyone said its just ridiculous to book without actually test driving it. Especially for someone like me who they believed to be quite prudent, if not discerning.

For saving say 2-3% before the prices hike over the next few months, fair to book blindfolded ? The booking cancellation charges would make us feel a little tied up. Also, if the product is SO GOOD & in HIGH demand, why would the company impose charges for cancellation at all ?

Didn't go ahead. Won't be hurried into buying.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:57   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Around 6 pm, yesterday, the dealer calls me up to find out whether I had been successful in securing the booking. When I replied in the negative, he requested me to send him the KYC documents immediately and said he will key in the details yesterday itself so that I could escape the price increase applicable from today. I did so immediately and also transferred the down-payment amount.

Today, on enquiring, the dealer informed me that it has been done and I will get an SMS confirmation after 10 am.

Will update in the forum once I have more info.
I too had a similar situation where I received a call from the Dealer informing me that I could still book with the same introductory price promise if I book today through the dealer, as I could not login to Mahindra's website due to their server issues.

Today dealer has confirmed that the booking is done but I have not received any confirmation (email / SMS) from Mahindra. Even when I check under My Bookings on Mahindra booking portal, it shows nothing.

Did you get any further confirmation or booking reference ID from the Dealer?

Has anyone else received confirmation in a similar scenario?
Old 8th October 2021, 12:06   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
The booking cancellation charges would make us feel a little tied up.?
I had the similar thought process but eventually decided to book it today as my understanding is that booking cancellation charge is Rs 2100 (10% of the booking amount of Rs 21000). Isn't it the case ?

When we are thinking of 25-30L rupees, as you mentioned 2-3% cost (i.e a lac or so) doesn't matter, in that grand scheme of things, Rs 2100 definitely doesn't matter. So instead of regretting later, I thought of taking the plunge today.
viscosity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:12   #1912
BHPian

Okay, so the kinks seem never-ending! Had received a confirmation SMS/mail from Mahindra about the booking being confirmed in yesterday's lot itself. As mentioned in my post here yesterday night, the booking details disappeared from the "My Bookings" section on the website. Just happened to log-in and check again, the details are back, albeit with the ex-showroom price now shown as 19,59,000/- instead of the one mentioned in yesterday's booking confirmation which was 19,19,000/-.

19,59,000/- is today's effective price. Hope Mahindra is not trying to pull a fast one! Waiting to hear from the dealer regarding the further process though; no one has reached out as yet.

Attaching image below:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20211008wa0000.jpg  

Old 8th October 2021, 12:14   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Spot on! This car is not cheap by any means. This type of flogging to somehow give your 25-28 lacs (higher variants) to a brand seems so much strange, add to that not even getting a decent experience as a potential customer. Checked the vehicle out yesterday, it doesn't (I repeat it doesn't) feel special for 29 lacs for top of the line variant at all.
Nothing special at all. Its just an XUV, so lets lighten up.

Here is a video that accompanied our TeamBHP review for old XUV.

In 2011 the car was launched only in 5 cities intially and booking was closed in 10 days with 9000 confirmed orders, about 6-8 months expected wait time until M&M invested a further 100 CR to expand production capacity.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:20   #1914
BHPian

Total bookings crossed 50,000 mark
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211008121856.jpg  

Last edited by ani21 : 8th October 2021 at 12:23.
ani21 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:32   #1915
BHPian

So, Mahindra website now says that they have received a total of 50,000 bookings & only they are assured of price protection & those who book later will have to pay the prevailing prices at delivery.

By any stretch of imagination, the 50,000 bookings in 2 days is a stupendous achievement. Mahindra will probably take almost a year to complete the delivery of vehicles booked this week. Add the Thar bookings & Mahindra has a full order book for the next year.

This success shows the maturing marker & should goad other manufacturers to bring in feature loaded vehicles to the market. There is no reason why Hyundai can't think of locally manufacturing (not CKD) their Tucson or Santa Fe & compete with XUV700 on pricing & features. Tatas should seriously think of adding better features (and a new & better infotainment system than the awful one they have got now). And Tatas should seriously consider bringing in a Petrol engine+ADAS for their flagships

Last edited by Desi Dybuk : 8th October 2021 at 12:34.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:34   #1916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post

Let me try to counter it with some much-needed light-hearted positivity

1. This was a good product, marketed well. They used everything at their Arsenal for obtaining long-term bragging rights. We can't blame the product engineering or marketing team for doing their job well, can we?

2. Introductory pricing was promised only for the first 25000 bookings. I guess a lot of fence-sitters went ahead and booked anyway. After all, a 10% (INR 2100) deduction on cancellation may not be much of a risk to take in the bigger scheme of things.
Cheers!
I agree with all your points. I have a feeling that certain people have taken it personally. When they tried booking online and could not book it yesterday, they got offended with Mahindra, similar to a girl turning down their proposal, and start finding reasons to blame Mahindra. They are like " I was so excited over the last 6-7 weeks, how can Mahindra do this to me?!!". Also didn't go well with them was the fact that they have to try booking the next day with a nominally increased prices for guaranteed price protection with just Rs 2100 as cancellation charges, which was still pretty much VFM.

Chill guys, it was just a stupid computer!

Mod Note : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th October 2021 at 15:46. Reason: Mod note attached.
Geta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:48   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
I have a feeling that certain people have taken it personally. When they tried booking online and could not book it yesterday, they got offended with Mahindra, similar to a girl turning down their proposal, and start finding reasons to blame Mahindra. They are like " I was so excited over the last 6-7 weeks, how can Mahindra do this to me?!!".
Logic and reasoning just committed suicide after this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
We are waiting for your ownership experience in a few weeks. Cheers!
See, I don't know about how deep your pockets are or how much does 27-29 lacs going out of your pocket means to you. I'm not considering the quite well to do population here as even in the past XUV customers have been mostly upper middle class (4-5 member family with fascination for an SUV with space and decent loadings and the choice of 5+2 seating). What I'm trying to imply is considering all this, 29 lac is a lot of money and one should at least experience the car properly rather than booking one because Mr. Verma from your society has also booked.

Most of the Mahindra showrooms are not even giving a kilometre long test drive. Many of the initial XUV500 customers I have interacted with felt cheated (it does hurt man), when the power steering would stop working suddenly, the brakes would squeal like a Tata 407 (worse than that), the plastics would rattle in a 6 month old car, etc. Even in my extended family itself, Mahindras are not recommended much by current or past owners, a 2018 Scorpio S9 of my cousin became a rust bucket within 2 years (no he doesn't live in coastal area, nor does that area has hard water supply).

By all means do spend your money as you wish to, but remember that we live in a country with not a very good record of consumer protection (harsh truth). The PR, ADAS, Mr. Verma, Anand Mahindra won't give you your 29 lacs back if God forbid things go bad (I sincerely hope that doesn't happen). I am also not trying to protect or bash any brand as you might have thought. Skoda is responsible for Kushaq failures, Hyundai is responsible for Creta's DCT failures and more, Kia is responsible for brake failures and poor safety, etc.

All cars today have some or other issues, even the mighty German trio ones. This is primarily due to rapidly changing market needs which results in lesser time for development and 100 per cent real world testing. The cars nowadays start feeling dated in terms of tech in only 2-3 years (harrier twins especially after the launch of the Mahindra). In case of Mahindra though, this is their most expensive car they have made, while other global brands have somewhat experience here.

So to put it simply, going by the past experience of initial XUV500 owners (exceptions would certainly be there) and Mahindra's current sub par service network with not so knowledgeable technicians, I would recommend a friend and/or fellow BHPian to wait before putting their money down. Moreover it's an uncharted territory for Mahindra too (ADAS, Visteon screens, high capacity turbocharged petrol, FSD, etc) so it's wise to wait and observe the product first and experiencing it properly.

Don't worry about the price hikes or delivery periods, they will soon settle down at a level when the initial excitement is over. Also note, a sales (or bookings) blockbuster may not be that good as you'd expect and the opposite could be true as well. More important is that you shouldn't regret in the future, whatever your decision may be.

Cheers
Lowflyer

Last edited by Sheel : 8th October 2021 at 15:45. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:01   #1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Okay, so the kinks seem never-ending! Had received a confirmation SMS/mail from Mahindra about the booking being confirmed in yesterday's lot itself. As mentioned in my post here yesterday night, the booking details disappeared from the "My Bookings" section on the website. Just happened to log-in and check again, the details are back, albeit with the ex-showroom price now shown as 19,59,000/- instead of the one mentioned in yesterday's booking confirmation which was 19,19,000/-.

19,59,000/- is today's effective price. Hope Mahindra is not trying to pull a fast one! Waiting to hear from the dealer regarding the further process though; no one has reached out as yet.

Attaching image below:
Same here. Booked yesterday at 20,99,000/-.
Today its showing the price as 21,29,000/-

Guess its a system error on their website. They are probably showing all bookings with the new price of 8th Oct, 2021. Basically some programming error. Wait for a couple of days and it should be corrected, or atleast i expect it to be corrected.

If the price does correct back to the price of 7th, then there is something fishy definitely going on.
Old 8th October 2021, 13:08   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 bookings so far

Day 1 - 25,000 bookings in 57 minutes
Day 2 - 25,000 bookings in 2 hours
Total 50,000 bookings, translating ex-showroom value to 9,500 crores

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211008_130209.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th October 2021 at 13:13.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:19   #1920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
By any stretch of imagination, the 50,000 bookings in 2 days is a stupendous achievement. Mahindra will probably take almost a year to complete the delivery of vehicles booked this week. Add the Thar bookings & Mahindra has a full order book for the next year.
Astounding achievement. Even if it has some numbers which are actually off-line bookings gathered over weeks, it is still a very impressive number and order book.

The stock markets are rewarding Mahindra shares - they went up 5% just in one day yesterday. But the long term success of this strategy hinges on two things. The first obvious thing is the ability to execute and deliver even 50% of the order book before people get bored of the long waiting periods and cancel. The second, less obvious aspect is the variant mix actually delivered will decide the actual profitability of this order book.

Let me elaborate with an example. Consider that there are only two variants of the Petrol version from two ends of the scale, in the order book, for simplicity of the analysis. The first is an MX Petrol Manual and the other is an AX Luxury Pack Auto. I have considered a Cost of Goods Sold of Rs. 7 lakhs for the former (which I think should be roughly accurate, members who are closer to the value engineering in the industry can comment) and 50% more for the latter. Other than the Auto Transmission, mechanically the two are alike and it is the electronics that make all the difference and electronics don't cost all that much. In this illustration, the company actually loses money on the MX Petrol Manual and makes a good amount of profit on the AXL variants, which is very close to reality.

There are three scenarios of the product mix - again over-simplified to illustrate the vast differences in profits to the company from the scenarios. In the first scenario, 25% of the 50 vehicles booked in the two days are the former cheaper MX Manual variant and 75% the latter more expensive AXL AT variant. The second scenario illustrates a 50:50 mix and the last (unlikely) scenarios shows a 75:25 mix between the two variants. The overall profits in this simple illustration vary all the way from 135 Crores to 600 crores (Best case is up to 4 times more profitable than worst case). This is the reason the profit outcomes for Mahindra will depend so heavily on which variants are actually delivered and sold in the next 12 months. Expect them to do everything to sell more higher variants and less of the lower variants.
Attached Images

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th October 2021 at 13:20.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks