Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:29   #6361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
raising the RPM to about 2200 (and hence NVH levels), before shifting to the 3rd gear..
My D AT does the same and it's really starting to get annoying. ODO is at over 2000km now and I had hoped for things to get better post 1st service but they haven't. Please keep us posted on what the service center guys tell you.
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:50   #6362
BHPian

Team,

We've taken delivery of our electric blue AX5 diesel manual 7 str on 15th of July. This was from free stock and hence the time gap between booking and delivery is 7 days . We went in to check the new Scorpio and got home the XUV instead.

I wanted to share one very interesting observation regarding ZOOM drive mode. I've been using this from day 1 in the city and highway (50:50) with the hypothesis that this will lead to lesser gear shifts overall. This is giving me pretty good mileage according to MID. I haven't checked the mileage using the manual method. Attaching a couple of pics for your reference

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20220802-2.21.03-pm-1.jpeg

Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20220802-2.21.03-pm.jpeg

The usage has been in and around Bangalore but I stay in the north part and haven't been stuck in heavy traffic. I take it to office (9 km away) regularly but leave at around 11 and reach back by 3.30 (perks of being in notice period). And, I am seeing better mileage in the city than on highways where I am maintaining 90-110.

Here is my hypothesis, it feels like the car is braking (preparing to brake??!!) as soon as we leave the accelerator at 80+ speeds suddenly. It mimicked engine braking on a honda city petrol when you take it above ~4000 rpm. I assumed it to be engine braking and felt good but puzzled as I haven't seen something like this on any other diesel car that I've driven (Creta, Verna, Swift). It was even more evident when I had to suddenly brake a couple of times because of dogs crossing the highway. It felt like the car started autobraking although AX5 doesn't have it. Please let me know if I am overthinking this.

I thought about all this once I came back home and not while driving. The next big highway trip is coming up during the long weekend on Aug 15th. For this trip, I am planning to use 'Configure' mode extensively where I've used zoom for the engine but zap for the brake (don't think there is a zip option). Will keep you posted on the same.

Lastly, how bad is your suspension sound? Our car (SUV?) is emitting a clicking sound while going over speed breakers and sometimes crashes while going over small but sharp potholes. There is no definitive way to analyze when the suspension will crash vs. waft over an undulation. Our Baleno is much more silent than the XUV.

I checked on Youtube and folks are discussing which suspension of the 4 corners is emitting these weird noises but for me, it seems like all four are in a similar state. Any suggestions on this is greatly appreciated
ramradcliff is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 16:55   #6363
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Lastly, how bad is your suspension sound? Our car (SUV?) is emitting a clicking sound while going over speed breakers and sometimes crashes while going over small but sharp potholes. There is no definitive way to analyze when the suspension will crash vs. waft over an undulation. Our Baleno is much more silent than the XUV.
My case is almost the same as yours. I got the delivery of a Midnight black AX5 D MT on July 2nd after a month's waiting and have driven it around 1300km since. ( I too owned a Baleno before this one). You are getting very impressive mileage here. The best I have been able to get on MID is 15-16kmpl in a mixed highway-city drive and tank to tank came out to be 12.69kmpl, all in ZAP mode.

Regarding the suspension noise, there is definitely some sound from the front suspension when going over potholes and speed breakers. It does feel like the suspension is bottoming out, but actually it is not. I am not much bothered by it because I am used to much louder noises in my 2015 Baleno. What concerns me is a sound from the rear which comes while reversing or moving at crawl speeds. It's like a big football is moving around in the boot, hitting the insides each time I brake and creating a DHUB-DHUB sound. Is anyone else hearing this sound? I will get it checked during my next visit to the service centre.

All being said, my experience with a freshly baked product (Baleno 2015) and service centres has taught me that one should be careful about what issues to raise with the service centre and how much to allow them to tamper with the original fitting of the car. Sometimes, these sounds are normal( might not be acceptable) behaviour of the suspension and their playing around will only lead to more trouble.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd August 2022 at 18:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:28   #6364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post

Regarding the suspension noise, there is definitely some sound from the front suspension when going over potholes and speed breakers. It does feel like the suspension is bottoming out, but actually it is not. I am not much bothered by it because I am used to much louder noises in my 2015 Baleno. What concerns me is a sound from the rear which comes while reversing or moving at crawl speeds. It's like a big football is moving around in the boot, hitting the insides each time I brake and creating a DHUB-DHUB sound. Is anyone else hearing this sound? I will get it checked during my next visit to the service centre.

I own a Diesel MX variant, even I have faced similar issues. The service center guys told me that the soft thud noise is due to the movement of fuel and DEF liquid in their respective tanks(at really low speeds). I have observed that the noise coming from the rear is more when the fuel >70%. I sincerely hope that a better solution is found for the noise coming from the front suspension. This could be due to the shorter travel of suspension at the front.
StarVector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 18:30   #6365
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVector View Post
I own a Diesel MX variant, even I have faced similar issues. The service center guys told me that the soft thud noise is due to the movement of fuel and DEF liquid in their respective tanks(at really low speeds). I have observed that the noise coming from the rear is more when the fuel >70%. I sincerely hope that a better solution is found for the noise coming from the front suspension. This could be due to the shorter travel of suspension at the front.
I was also suspecting that this might be the reason because I recently filled up the tank to full and have started noticing this sound more recently (or may be it's a confirmation bias). Anyways, I will update once the tanks get empty.
Old 2nd August 2022, 18:39   #6366
BHPian

Update on my booking, which was done in 2nd Half of April 2022. The order status had been showing for about 3 months in Order under Planning state but now it is being changed to Vehicle at dealership - an unbelievable state change given the mention of 92 weeks ETA in the booking docket. More so after recalling the facial expression of dislike shown by manager of my SA when the boss was informed about variant being AWD.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-20220802status.jpg

Through all the elapsed time since booking, there had been no status updates from dealership or M&M. A possibility exist that the above status is invalid. I have updated the dealership about this status change via an email and asked them about the true state of the order, however, I am still waiting on the revert.

If the above state is true, the vehicle production scheduling and vehicle allocation algorithm might be giving weightage to dealership based upon their order/sales volumes and prioritised production of orders from dealerships associated with higher volumes. But, for this order, there was no need of urgency to start with.

If the status is true, though it feels like a won lottery but it will be given a pass because I am not looking to take the delivery until the 2nd half of 2023. That was well communicated to the dealership at the time of booking and even via an email, and as per earlier communication with them, it will go to the next in line if arrival happens sooner than expected.

Last edited by waypoint : 2nd August 2022 at 18:54. Reason: Little corrections for better readability
waypoint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:11   #6367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeupsid View Post
Coming to the point, I booked XUV 700 AX7 D AT Red in March 2022. At that time my delivery was showing as Dec 2023 or Jan 2024. Since i wasn't in any hurry I was content with that. But today I got a message from Mahindra that my order is in production and delivery date is moved up to Aug 2022. Not sure how this happened as i neither used any connections nor pressured the dealership for the vehicle.
Hello,

Something similar happened to me, I booked AX7L D AT Red Rage on the first week of May, 2022. Initial delivery timeline was around Dec 23 - Jan 24.
Now this seems to have moved up and the website says production under planning and delivery date is August 2022. I am ready to take delivery of the car ,but the car seems to be stuck on "production under planning stage". I have not been contacted by the dealership.
Have you tried contacting your SA? and what does your Booking Tracker say?

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd August 2022 at 05:33. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Sabharish77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 22:05   #6368

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Thanks. I will visit the dealer this week for HSRP and ask him to install the micro sd card ( 128gb ). Hope it works. Will carry a backup 32gb card jic the 128gb isn't recognized
Hey akg7091,

what capacity card were you able to use for DVR. Did 128GB sdcard work ?
am planning on getting a card for my car (AX7L), confused about what capacity card to get.

sorry for quote/reply, i could not find any ways to PM you.
Old 2nd August 2022, 23:48   #6369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Team,

I wanted to share one very interesting observation regarding ZOOM drive mode. I've been using this from day 1 in the city and highway (50:50) with the hypothesis that this will lead to lesser gear shifts overall. This is giving me pretty good mileage according to MID. I haven't checked the mileage using the manual method. Attaching a couple of pics for your reference
Even I noticed more mileage on the zap mode rather than the zip mode. My drive is mostly inside pune city limits and fellow punekars can definitely relate to the traffic situation in Pune which is absolutely dead slow in most of the areas due to metro works and poor traffic management. The car has completed 4k kms almost and I am getting a mileage of more than 13 continously on tank method, which I am extremely satisfied with. Will surely try the zoom mode now to see if the mileage improves. Mostly I have been using the zoom mode to cheer myself up after a long day at office and it works

While I am not hearing any abnormal sound from the suspension there is some jarring sound while braking at very low speed, like crawling at traffic signal and braking. Nonetheless I don't find the sounds unsettling and enjoying the drive every bit
Dark water is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 05:40   #6370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVector View Post
Good observation starvector. I too followed this soft thud sound in the rear side and complained to the service guys and all sorts of Rocketry answers were given with out an understanding. After few tank ups and keen observation I decided that it’s the fuel movement in the tank when it’s full and till about 70% full. This happens when I break at 30 kmph or lesser speed or roll over a speed breaker in similar speeds.

Wonder how come Mahindra missed such a thing in their tests. Hope they are taking notes and a corrective action will be taken.
zeus_700 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 05:47   #6371
BHPian

Dear Bhpians

Any update on CarPlay?

Started feeling that we are missing out on the same after spending ₹ 2+ millions. My ownership has crossed 7 months and living without CarPlay is not giving a good ownership experience.

The last time (couple of months ago) I enquired with Mahindra customer care they said 10th August is the roll out plan for all AX variants.

Yesterday I checked with service advisor and got a reply that it might take another 2 months!

Last edited by zeus_700 : 3rd August 2022 at 05:48.
Old 3rd August 2022, 07:43   #6372
BHPian

Having booked XUV7OO AX7L AWD and followed this thread religiously, I finally decided to cancel my booking last week. And as soon as I asked the dealership to cancel, I recieved information of dispatch/delivery from Mahindra. Just in time.

I feel the car is perfect in terms of almost all aspects. Everything, except that suspension thud noise. This was there from day one on all test drives.

Moreover, when many XUV7OO owners started reporting some sort of suspension noise, I felt it's not for me, yet.
Although, most owners ignore these sounds as they don't bother them much, or perhaps music system helps to dilutes it. Retorqueing also helped for some.

My daily drive includes some very bad roads. Pot holes, deep ones. Yet, my 2015 gen Scorpio behaves perfectly in terms of sounds. However, it has too much side to side movement at low speeds.

And then I test drove the ScorpioN Petrol Automatic.
As a Scorpio owner, it put a huge smile on my face. Immediately decided to book the 4WD Z8 Automatic.
Dealership returned XUV7OO booking amount and it will go to ScorpioN. Just in time.

Coming back to XUV7OO suspension.
Bhpian ram87pune had informed that setup should see improvement in post April 2022 production cars. But I guess it is yet to be perfected.

Last edited by fazalmirza : 3rd August 2022 at 07:52.
fazalmirza is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:10   #6373

Visited showroom few days back to have a better TD of Scorpio N and book/queue in for XUV 700 considering long wait time as I want to change my vehicle in a year or so. Asked the waiting time of Petrol AX7 L and the SA told me that you should get your vehicle in 4-5 months. He told me that the chips supply is much better now. I don't know if it is because of Scorpio N's bookings or cancellations or because I was booking the top end variant in Petrol but he seemed confident on the waiting period as opposed to my earlier visits there. In the end decided not to book any car as of now as I have the following things in mind. Would really appreciate if others can share their inputs:

1. I currently drive 2017 Innova Crysta Diesel (50k odo) as my primary vehicle (daily routine drives). I don't like to drive this in the Delhi NCR traffic due to hard steering and weighted clutch during bumper to bumper (however, this only happens 2-3 times a month at max as I prefer taking my other Auto car most of the times when I feel I may face traffic today). As such I have no complaints with this vehicle and is clearly liked by my family (but mostly I am alone in city situations). The only concern is 10 years Diesel life and my low running, hence I should get a good value for the car. However, I still feel it is too early to replace this vehicle in 4-5 months. I really enjoy the hassle free ownership.

2. I was thinking to book both Scorpio-N and XUV 700 (and then decide the final pick in next few months as the SA said that he would get the booking amount of the cancelled car adjusted in my final car that I buy) in top models Petrol Auto but as I have read from the forum, there are a lot of initial niggles and since this will be my primary drive, I would prefer Hassle free ownership as I am not used to sending my car to Service Centres other than service schedule. How is the ownership and service experience of Mahindra as such? And is it possible that due to lesser electronics and chips that Scorpio - N might have better chances of having lesser problems compared to XUV 700?

3. I am really undecided between the two vehicles and would wait for comparison reviews or other inputs that may help me decide which to buy. Heart says Scorpio-N, mind says XUV 700 but then reading the niggles that people face here, it seems better to wait for more time before finalising one. I loved driving both of them, though Scorpio-N felt better from the driver's perspective purely in terms of driving. However, after test driving these vehicles, when I get into my Innova, I can clearly feel the difference in comfort.

Any inputs/guidance/suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:27   #6374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
My daily drive includes some very bad roads. Pot holes, deep ones. Yet, my 2015 gen Scorpio behaves perfectly in terms of sounds. However, it has too much side to side movement at low speeds.
Please take a proper test drive of ScorpioN before finalizing. I had 2 test drives before cancelling ScorpioN, where I noticed constant body movements not only on bad roads but even on good city roads. It doesn't fit my needs as a daily driver.

Please go through this very well written analysis by Poitive: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5360915 (Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N)
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:40   #6375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
Bhpian ram87pune had informed that setup should see improvement in post April 2022 production cars.
I have an April manufactured car and as far as I can tell I don't face the suspension noise everyone seems to be so worried about. I have seen a couple of videos where the noise seemed a lot sharper, but in my case the sound is a more of a muted thud and felt normal for a suspension setup.

Most Viewed