Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2022, 23:47   #6961

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

My name is Karthik and am new to team-bhp. This is my first post/thread in this forum. Thanks to team-bhp for approving my membership. Booked XUV700 at Anant Cars Marathahalli, Bangalore during September 1st Week. This thread helped a lot to make my decision and thanks to everyone. My Status is currently Order Under Planning and the tentative delivery date is Jan-2024. But SA is confident of getting it during September-October 2023 and if lucky might be preponed to July 2023 as well.
Soon will post my test drive journey and what made me to chose XUV700.

Last edited by karthik1289 : 18th September 2022 at 00:06. Reason: Added City of the Showroom Booked
karthik1289 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 10:39   #6962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
You have made some good arguments, but I think that the awd variant needs more chips and due to the supply shortage right now they might be preferring to use those extra chips for other variants since demand is already high.

Also, I have definitely seen a few awd promo/review videos on Youtube.

Hi lovely people,

I took possession of my BEAST, the AWD on July 31st and have run it for approx 2000 Kms so far (ONLY ), thanks to the annual Haridwar Circuit that I follow since a decade now.

Am planning a trip to Spiti / Leh / Ladakh and struggling to find a group of like minded AWD owners ( even non AWD Vehicles can do this, now with the Atal Tunnel and road conditions) and will post an update once I find company. The last time I did the Spiti Trip was Solo in my SX4 AT, and it was a great trip with no sweat, but now should be even more fun, that I will have her Highness and my Prince with me.

Will post an update on the AWD performance once this materializes.

Humble request, don't make me doubt my investment, also given the NCT Rules limiting my big 28 Ones to a 10 year life 🤣

Ps. Haven't yet posted my Delivery / Ownership experience so far, have already had some surprises, pleasant experience with the Service team. Hope it stays that way.

BTW, I'm from NCR!
AmitG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 10:44   #6963
BHPian

My DEF/Adblue top-up experience

I drive XUV700 AX7L D AT AWD and have been following this thread very closely. Thank you everyone for the invaluable knowledge sharing on this forum.

My car has done 7550 km so far and I am enjoying the experience. The DEF level was showing 41% and I was planning a long trip before my 3rd service due at 10,000 kms so I started exploring DEF top-up.

Here is my experience -
  • There was no alert on the dashboard about DEF. At the time of top-up, the DEF level was 39%.
  • DEF/Adblue tank capacity is 20 ltrs and the car gives alert when the level drops to 5 litrs i.e. 25%.
  • I called up my service advisor and he suggested bringing the car to the services station so they can check the actual quantity and recommend the top-up as needed.
  • I reached the service station just before 6pm. They quickly plugged in the laptop, and checked the DEF quantity which showed 8 ltrs. This process took 5 minutes.
  • As shared on this forum earlier, Mahindra recommends maxiCLEAN DEF that's available in 10, 6, and 2 litr buckets along with a filler hose.
  • I opted for 10 ltrs and I was charged Rs. 960.
  • A technician quickly filled the DEF tank and I was out of the service station in 10 minutes.
  • After the top-up, the dashboard showed DEF levels at 87%.
techdarshan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 12:42   #6964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdarshan View Post
After the top-up, the dashboard showed DEF levels at 87%.
The tank capacity is 20 Ltrs, guage before filling showed 40% remaining, laptop said 8 Ltrs needed, you filled 10 Ltrs. The guage after filling still says 87%.

Does that mean the guage is inaccurate, or the scanner or something I am missing here?
Old 18th September 2022, 12:57   #6965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
The tank capacity is 20 Ltrs, guage before filling showed 40% remaining, laptop said 8 Ltrs needed, you filled 10 Ltrs. The guage after filling still says 87%.

Does that mean the guage is inaccurate, or the scanner or something I am missing here?
It seems accurate, let me clarify - guage before filling showed 39% indicating 8 ltrs DEF present in the tank and 12 ltrs more needed to filll the tank. I toped up with 10 ltrs, hence filling the tank to 18 ltrs (8 ltrs existing + 10 ltrs new) and as a result, the guage showing 87% which is pretty accurate.
techdarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 13:22   #6966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdarshan View Post
It seems accurate, let me clarify - guage before filling showed 39% indicating 8 ltrs DEF present in the tank and 12 ltrs more needed to filll the tank. I toped up with 10 ltrs, hence filling the tank to 18 ltrs (8 ltrs existing + 10 ltrs new) and as a result, the guage showing 87% which is pretty accurate.
Got it. 8ltrs present vs 8ltrs needed. The interpretation was wrong in my case.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 16:26   #6967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahale View Post
Onroad price for AX7L P AT increased by 46K
I have also been in touch with Anant Cars and was planning to book the AX7L P AT by end of year. It’s ludicrous that they have increased prices by half a lakh without any additional features. When BS6 Phase 2 kicks how much more do we expect? Is this Mahindra’s plan to cash in on demand? This kind of a hike is no joke. Although the Alcazar is not very similar to the XUV, I am now starting to lean towards it.
Old 18th September 2022, 18:35   #6968

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Rear Bumper Guard

It this Rear Bumper Guard worth buying? Does a rear bumper make sense especially if a biker rams into the vehicle?

https://goldsun.in/product/ss-dx-grand-rear-bumper/

Mahindra XUV700 Review-innovacrystagrb50810.jpg
Old 18th September 2022, 19:18   #6969

Hi Everyone

First post here, got a membership after lurking so much in these thread - I have booked an XUV 700 AX7L P AT on April 21 and currently the delivery date is around August 22, I have a few questions

1. Can we put a seat cover on the ivory colored seats, with a kid and me also being a bit clumsy not sure how long can it stay clean

2. What are some of the necessary accessories that I should get
Old 18th September 2022, 21:12   #6970
BHPian

Has there been any details about the AWD capabilities of the XUV700? Does it have brake-locking to prevent wheel-spinning (like the Thar, or even the AWD Grand Vitara now)?

Mahindra customer care as well as my dealer interactions have not been able to clarify this part. I have checked numerous videos myself and while its not 100% clear whats going on its clear that something is going on...

For example consider the start-stop wheelspin at 8:45: meaning either the traction control or some form of brake-locking is getting activated:

Just wish someone would just clarify it once and for all...
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 21:29   #6971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper_52 View Post
Hi Everyone

First post here, got a membership after lurking so much in these thread - I have booked an XUV 700 AX7L P AT on April 21 and currently the delivery date is around August 22, I have a few questions

1. Can we put a seat cover on the ivory colored seats, with a kid and me also being a bit clumsy not sure how long can it stay clean

2. What are some of the necessary accessories that I should get
Do you mean August 2022 or 2023?
On point 1, the L version has a seat air bag, so it is not advised to put any additional seat cover is what I understand.
GPJ_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 22:07   #6972
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Rear Bumper Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkalyan View Post
It this Rear Bumper Guard worth buying? Does a rear bumper make sense especially if a biker rams into the vehicle?
[/ATTACH]
Yes, the Rear Bumper Guard is a good accessory to protect the rear bumper from dents & scratches. A lot of money gets saved from fixing these issues.

My car's rear bumper has always been dent-free, scratch-free when compared to front bumper.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 18th September 2022 at 22:08.
Old 18th September 2022, 23:31   #6973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkalyan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
Yes, the Rear Bumper Guard is a good accessory to protect the rear bumper from dents & scratches. A lot of money gets saved from fixing these issues.
Mates, Anything which takes an impact during a crash should be installed with much caution. It interferes with:
  • Pedestrian safety.
  • Crumple zones.
  • Airbag deployment, as the car's electronics would sense the impact differently.
  • Other electronic's based safety features too might get influenced.
All this would be even worse if in the front, I imagine.

Unless one has some special situations and needs, IMO it would be better to take the small expenses or eyesores due to a damaged bumper, than compromise significantly on important aspects of safety.

PS: The one in the picture seems like a metal one, which would significantly affect impact/energy transfer in a crash.
Poitive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 00:18   #6974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Mates, Anything which takes an impact during a crash should be installed with much caution. It interferes with
IMO, the 'rear' bumper guard wouldn't interfere with any of them as mentioned in the 4 bullet points. These all apply to front bumper guard which I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 02:53   #6975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
IMO, the 'rear' bumper guard wouldn't interfere with...
Mate, Agreed that between the two, on average the front would be more important, however the rear too has relevance. Writing further for you and also in general.
  • Consider a car with and without the metal bar when it is rear-ended. The whiplash effect would be significantly lesser in a car with a regular and properly designed bumper, which would have some crumpling effect to reduce the impact of the vehicle hitting it from the rear. The few inches of bumper itself too would act as a mini-crumple zone. I would not want to sacrifice any bit of it, when it pertains to my neck getting whip-lashed.

[For those unaware: when a car is rear-ended at speed, the occupant's heads suddenly move backwards and it can result in a neck injury. As a safety measure, cars have neck-restraints, which are popularly seen as headrests. They are to prevent the head going too far back so as to snap the neck. (A good reminder to never remove them when in use)]
  • Further, consider the mounting points of the bar and where they might transfer energy as compared to a scientifically designed bumper. When a bumper is designed, it is done keeping these mounting points and energy transfer in mind. The bars would be a compromise, even in the rear. The crumpling effect in the rear would not be as much as the front, but would not be zero.

Many countries have proper codes and specifications for bumper design, as it is an important safety factor.
  • My understanding is that modern cars take in data from various points (speed, slippage of any tyre, angle, rate of acceleration or deceleration, etc etc) to "intelligently" figure out when to trigger which part of the safety equipment in what manner in a car. Each manufacturer has certain parameters being met for certain actions to happen, which would include but not be limited to airbag deployment (ESP too would work in such a fashion). It is reasonable to expect them to figure out various types of crashes in their modelling, including a series of cars running into each other (a pile up). This would well include being hit from the rear, and then end up hitting the vehicle in front, which too would need the airbags to be deployed at a certain moment. Also probably preloading the brakes with fluid so that one saves that fraction of a second while braking, which in turn influences the speed at which a front impact is made.

Any change we make to things like a bumper/guard - front or rear - would compromise the inbuilt models/algorithms/intelligence thereby resulting in sub-optimal safety.
  • About pedestrians, yes, the rear bumper/guard would have minimal impact in most situations, but of course there too there could be exceptions: not difficult to imagine a novice driver run into someone while reversing a vehicle - a pedestrian, bicycle, motorbike or other.
  • Then, there is also the aspect of how adding something like bar/guard would impact a vehicle which is running into us. If laws were strict enough, it could affect insurance claims, and we could also be held liable for modifying a vehicle to cause harm to other road-users.
Not sure if rear guards are allowed (front aren't), but surprisingly enough Mahindra sells them on their site! My strong suspicion is that they would not have been a part of their pedestrian safety and crash test samples.

It would be worth considering the tradeoff: one is, at least, potentially compromising with safety of a 5 star rated car. The gains would differ based on individual situations.

Last edited by Poitive : 19th September 2022 at 02:59. Reason: Refinement, minor repharsing to avoid misunderstanding of tone.
Poitive is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed